User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It's been quite a while since I've read the booket to Show-Biz Blues, but I seem to recall that "Black Magic Woman" & "Jumping At Shadows" were from the same show as "Rattlesnake Shake/Underway", "Tiger" & "Green Manalishi" (which originally made up side 1 of the classic bootleg entitled Merely A Portmanteau...which was from a show in Paris, if memory serves.
chiliD, "Black Magic Woman" and "Jumping At Shadows" are definitely not from that same Paris show you're thinking of. They are indeed from the Boston dates, just different performances than any others released from the Boston shows. Those two tracks are also included on the Jumping At Shadows: The Blues Years two-disc set. The notes from that set of discs as well as Show-Biz Blues state that both the "Black Magic Woman" and "Jumping At Shadows" performances were from the opening night of the Boston dates.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD

It's been quite a while since I've read the booket to Show-Biz Blues, but I seem to recall that "Black Magic Woman" & "Jumping At Shadows" were from the same show as "Rattlesnake Shake/Underway", "Tiger" & "Green Manalishi" (which originally made up side 1 of the classic bootleg entitled Merely A Portmanteau...which was from a show in Paris, if memory serves.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
chiliD, "Black Magic Woman" and "Jumping At Shadows" are definitely not from that same Paris show you're thinking of. They are indeed from the Boston dates, just different performances than any others released from the Boston shows. Those two tracks are also included on the Jumping At Shadows: The Blues Years two-disc set. The notes from that set of discs as well as Show-Biz Blues state that both the "Black Magic Woman" and "Jumping At Shadows" performances were from the opening night of the Boston dates.

......And the "Paris show" is acually from the Paris Theatre in London...
Old 10-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogon View Post
Quote:

......And the "Paris show" is acually from the Paris Theatre in London...
The Paris theatre was used by the BBC for many years as a venue for live recordings of radio shows in front of an audience- so this could be music or comedy shows ( e g I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again Etc Poss The Goon Show ) Even drama I suppose.

I definately remember listening to a live FM concert with an audience on the radio late 69 or early 70 think they played played Sunny side of Heaven so must've done Rattle snake Shake etc and I suspect this would have been done there .

A BBC DJ (not John Peel for once ) chatted with Danny before one of the numbers and I think Danny said something about his mother or mentioned her name ( Phylis ?) or something , and when Peter was asked some question ,his answer was "that sound's likely !" with big comedy emphassis on the" likely " Funny what you remember !

This is all from memory - so does an official BBC release exist of this Broadcast ?Or a bootleg ? Does anyone recognise it from the chit chat between mumbers ?

My very good schoolfriend and bass player in our schoo;boy band, Ray ,attended a FM concert during this period -one that I didn't attend (shame on me -He was at a lot of the ones that I have talked about though ) ) It may well have been this one ,but wherever it was, I remember him distintly saying that Peter asked the adience if anyone had a pair of nail clippers cause he was having a bit of difficulty playing and needed to trim his fingernails !!

Last edited by THD; 10-04-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Old 10-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
The Paris theatre was used by the BBC for many years as a venue for live recordings of radio shows in front of an audience- so this could be music or comedy shows ( e g I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again Etc Poss The Goon Show ) Even drama I suppose.

I definately remember listening to a live FM concert with an audience on the radio late 69 or early 70 think they played played Sunny side of Heaven so must've done Rattle snake Shake etc and I suspect this would have been done there .

A BBC DJ (not John Peel for once ) chatted with Danny before one of the numbers and I think Danny said something about his mother or mentioned her name ( Phylis ?) or something , and when Peter was asked some question ,his answer was "that sound's likely !" with big comedy emphassis on the" likely " Funny what you remember !

This is all from memory - so does an official BBC release exist of this Broadcast ?Or a bootleg ? Does anyone recognise it from the chit chat between mumbers ?

My very good schoolfriend and bass player in our schoo;boy band, Ray ,attended a FM concert during this period -one that I didn't attend (shame on me -He was at a lot of the ones that I have talked about though ) ) It may well have been this one ,but wherever it was, I remember him distintly saying that Peter asked the adience if anyone had a pair of nail clippers cause he was having a bit of difficulty playing and needed to trim his fingernails !!
Half of Manalishi, Rattlesnake/Underway & Tiger from the April 9, 1970 Paris Theatre (broadcasted on the Beeb as rightly noted above) originally surfaced on the Portmanteau bootleg. This same Rattlesnake (minus Underway) showed up on the 1995 Live At The BBC set which Mick wrote some liner notes for. The entire 4/9/70 Paris show was on some boots in the early 90s but was released, officially, kinda, sorta, on disc 2 of the 2001 Show Biz Blues 2 CD set put out by Receiver (though they edited out the between song talking, i.e. Phyllis, etc.).

I asked Cliff Dane if the new Tea Party set would include these omissions spoken of about here and the other thread and he said he wasn't aware of the discrepancies (BMW/JAS on Show Biz Blues etc.). I offered to send him mp3's of what should be added but he said it's too late to do anything about it now regarding this release but he said he'd get back to me about it if there is to be another reissue of these recordings in the future. Maybe he will, but I just don't get how these labels, who say they are serious about wanting to put out good sets, don't even ask around about it while they are compiling them. If the fans say you're not missing anything than fair enough press on with it (no pun intended) but in this case, they could've reached out, given them the info we have and compiled the definitive set. He did say this new Tea Party release is in a circle casing of some kind (instead of the usual jewel case shape etc.) so I'll be interested to see what that will look like if nothing else but after getting this info, I'm going to sit this one out and see if we are reached out to for the next one.

John
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Half of Manalishi, Rattlesnake/Underway & Tiger from the April 9, 1970 Paris Theatre (broadcasted on the Beeb as rightly noted above) originally surfaced on the Portmanteau bootleg. This same Rattlesnake (minus Underway) showed up on the 1995 Live At The BBC set which Mick wrote some liner notes for. The entire 4/9/70 Paris show was on some boots in the early 90s but was released, officially, kinda, sorta, on disc 2 of the 2001 Show Biz Blues 2 CD set put out by Receiver (though they edited out the between song talking, i.e. Phyllis, etc.).
Dogon, thanks for the Paris Theatre clarification - I knew that (I'm sure that chiliD did too).

John, that's right about this first surfacing on the Portmanteau bootleg. I distinctly remember hearing this performance of "Rattlesnake Shake / Underway" on a San Francisco radio station in the very late 1970s and I assume it must have been from this bootleg.

There's a bootleg called They Play On that has all the between-song talking, etc., although it is missing "Coming Your Way" from that show - at least that track was included on Show-Biz Blues. And IIRC, the track that Danny Kirwan called "Phyllis" was "World In Harmony".
Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Dogon, thanks for the Paris Theatre clarification - I knew that (I'm sure that chiliD did too).

John, that's right about this first surfacing on the Portmanteau bootleg. I distinctly remember hearing this performance of "Rattlesnake Shake / Underway" on a San Francisco radio station in the very late 1970s and I assume it must have been from this bootleg.

There's a bootleg called They Play On that has all the between-song talking, etc., although it is missing "Coming Your Way" from that show - at least that track was included on Show-Biz Blues. And IIRC, the track that Danny Kirwan called "Phyllis" was "World In Harmony".
Yeah it was the They Play On boot that came to mind when typing that and you're right on the money, it was World In Harmony which had that Phyllis conversation after wards on that. Oh yeah, I overlooked that Coming Your Way was not on it, at least we can hear it now on SBB.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-04-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Old 11-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:46 am By Mitchell Glazier

Fleetwood Mac, the famed group who became the voice of ’70s-era soul rock, with hits that include “The Chain,” “Rhiannon” and “Seven Wonders,” released their first official live album earlier this month. The album was recorded in Boston in 1970, and is aptly named after the city.

A bluesy, almost Jimi Hendrix-esque, feel pervades the album, encapsulating a more soulful era in the music industry. Vocalists and musicians in the band, before female powerhouses Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie joined the group, included Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, John McVie and Jeremy Spencer.

“Boston” was recorded during the very start of Fleetwood Mac’s musical career.

While obvious raw talent is evident in the set list, it lacks the depth witchy songstress Stevie Nicks would bestow upon the group three years later.

The span of change the group underwent during the course of its nearly 40-year history is remarkable. It is rare for a group, especially in the early rock genre, to stay relevant for even a decade.

The music on this early record is a chronicle of experimental club rock, and truly takes listeners back to the days of electrifying guitar solos and disco dancing.

To rock ‘n roll fans, incredible guitar solos are highlighted in the tracks “Jenny Jenny” and “Sandy Mary.”

Before lip-synching became prevalent among the music industry’s chart-toppers, there was Fleetwood Mac. Strong vocalists front the band, injecting Boston with feeling and passion. This era in music placed artists and bands with talent at the forefront of the industry, and Fleetwood Mac demonstrates this raw, uninhibited talent.

While “Boston” is a definite ’70s-era rock album, it has a certain softness to it. With tracks such as “Loving Kind” and “Coming Your Way,” a more tender side to the band is captured.

“Boston” is a true artifact from the group’s debut in the rock industry. Highlights of the album include “Madison Blues,” “Black Magic Woman” and “Rattlesnake Shake.”

The album is a chronicle of a band with meager beginnings that came to produce several of the century’s greatest hits. With Boston, Fleetwood Mac fans are able to experience the group’s 1970 live show, and the raw talent and energy that brought them critical acclaim. The album is available for download on iTunes.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Glazier View Post
first official live album earlier this month.

recorded during the very start of Fleetwood Mac’s musical career.

disco dancing.

To rock ‘n roll fans, incredible guitar solos are highlighted in the tracks “Jenny Jenny” and “Sandy Mary.”

it has a certain softness to it. With tracks such as “Loving Kind” and “Coming Your Way,” a more tender side to the band is captured.
I get the feeling this guy didn't listen to the record. Though he says Rattlesnake Shake is a highlight, why does he point to LK & CYW for guitar solos when RS has an over 20 minute solo?

First...Disco? Really?

Softness? If these are soft then I guess FM's other recordings are softer than classical.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 11-22-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

This is a classic album that needs the true attention of its form. We should have a compilation with the 2nd BMW and the 3rd variation of Jumping at Shadows. I'm sure there are other songs not released. And can we get legit set-lists? Cuz it seems like they were doing two per night. Don't get me wrong, the Welch era and Buckingham/Nicks were great too.....but this is Fleetwood Mac, without this well.....
Old 11-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've got the three separate Boston CDs. And I adore them. Is there a reason why I should buy this box?

Old 02-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wo No Blog zondag 16 februari 2014

http://wonomagazine.blogspot.com/201...twood-mac.html

Boston. Fleetwood Mac

For people my age, THE Fleetwood Mac line is the one that broke with 'Go your own way' in 1977, that classic rock staple song that will be played till the end of time. There were several line ups before that (and since), but the only one that matters in the post is the one that scored hits between 1968 and 1970, the classic line up of Peter Green, Danny Kierwan and Jeremy Spencer on guitar and John McVie and Mick Fleetwood in the rhythm section as they are right up to this day. The line up with the three guitarists, who all went AWOL one way or another, within a few years apart, did not last long. An immensely talented trio that never lived up to its full potential. Leaving a void that years later was filled by Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie.

A few of the hits of FM mach 1 I remember quite well from the time. 'Oh well, part 1' was one of the weirdest songs I'd ever heard late 1969 and 'The green manalishi' one of the most exiting. A few year later 'Need your love so bad' was one of the few songs that always came by when we were slow dances at high school parties'. Black magic woman' was a well known song by Santana from 1970 onwards. But no, Fleetwood Mac in 1970 was not one of the bands I knew more about nor heard other songs from. Nor for anyone in my environment. No one I knew had the band's records, nor did I see any need to change this. It was something of the past and remained that way for me. A pleasant but very distant memory. When Boston came to my attention a few weeks back, I was quite curious -what did Fleetwood Mac sound like live in 1970?- but not overly exited. Nor did I have high expectations. I was in for a surprise.

Fleetwood Mac in the late sixties was a blues band. It played a lot of covers. On Boston we even find Little Richard's 'Tutti frutti', but mainly blues covers. It also had a great songwriter in its midst: Peter Green. Unfortunately a songwriter who was losing his hold on life fast due to mental instability in combination with dropping acid. That Peter Green knew how to write a hit record was proven in 1969 and 1970. 'Oh well' went to number one in The Netherlands within weeks from its release. The dark, brooding song with its long silences and stop start moments is not exactly a standard number 1 hit. It is a very special song that is fairly unique where hit records are concerned. With songs like 'Black magic woman', made famous by Santana, the instrumental hit 'Albatross' and 'The green manalishi', Peter Green obviously could have grown much further, but never did, leaving Fleetwood Mac soon after playing in Boston and disappearing from music altogether for years on end.

This triple album captures Fleetwood Mac three nights in a row in Boston. The band plays very different songs. Originals, blues covers and some rock and roll. Especially the last cd gives a hotchpotch of styles. It gets me to doubt whether Fleetwood Mac at the core was one band or a selection of people that all wanted to do their thing. Some songs are spun out in long jams, most quite exciting, in which everybody gets to join in. These jams are not the main attraction of Boston. These are the potent versions of songs that made the band famous. 'Oh well' is played loud and tight. 'The green manalishi' gets the spooky treatment the song deserves. The second time 'Rattlesnake shake' features on Boston it incorporates a great jam. 'World in harmony' is a beautiful instrumental that may have been the start of a nice new song. Picturing myself in Boston that night, it may well be that I would have liked everything that night. From full out dancing to listening closely to what would happen next.

Listening to Boston it becomes clear that Fleetwood Mac mach 1 was a great (blues) band. In no way comparable to the later incarnations. That this Fleetwood Mac was this good was something I was totally unaware of. Not surprising considering my age (at the time), but also because the band was absent at a famous show like 'Woodstock'. Listening closer, it is possible to hear the influence they must have had on bands like The Allman Brothers Band or Motorpsycho, who love to jam hard and long, but also the way Fleetwood Mac's members were raised by John Mayall and through him the great electric blues artists, like Muddy Waters. Nothing is at good as Ten Years After's rock jam 'I'm going home', but then Ten Years After was on fire that time and never played it as well again either.

So that leaves the speculation where this Fleetwood Mac incarnation could have gone. We'll never know. (Would we ever have heard 'Go your own way' if it had?) The way Fleetwood Mac plays here would not have sustained a career. Blues was on the way out for a few years in 1970 already. The transition to something else, the else Peter Green may have been able to deliver, in combination with blues(rock) could have made the band great, not unlike Led Zeppelin. It is a loss that we'll never know, but got great things in return. We won by having five (in the U.S.) to seven years (in NL) of patience (or pure ignorance as in my case of course). It is the years in between that remain a total mystery to me. There's not much that invites me to listen so far. What do you think, is it worth it?

So I can only conclude that anyone who likes blues, is attracted to the famous oldest hits of Fleetwood Mac and likes to hear some good old sixties jamming can't go no wrong with Boston. This set holds it all and yes I was pleasantly surprised indeed.

At the same time I found out that this Fleetwood Mac's last album, 'Then play on', was released also in 2013 with the two famous singles as bonus tracks. Also very much worthwhile.

Wo.

You can listen to 'Black magic woman' here.