Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Clearly he was referring to the size of our personalities, not the number of fans of the song. [ducking for the inevitable slam from Soudascouts]
Shoot, I was going to say something, but now I'll have to refrain as a matter of principle. I hate being predictable. Foiled again!

Old 04-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gold Dust Woman

This may not exactly fit in with this thread, but it kind of does. Having heard what I assume is the demo for GDW, I think the spacy ending of GDW can be attributed to LB - it is not apparent in any way on the demo. In fact, although the beautiful and yearning "baby don't leave me - I'm down on my knees - begging you to please" lines are accompanied with harmonious oooo and ahhaaa's, they are literal and structured and that vocal was not on the final product. In the Rumors DVD, LB comments that GDW is loose and almost jazz like, yet the three part harmonies made it fit in on Rumors, etc. So, I was thinking the almost tribal beats in the tumultuous, frenetic ending are almost Tusk like in their structure. I think this is a hint of LB's Tusk genre even then. I also find it ironic that GDW closes the Rumors record as almost a promise or foreboding wave to what was to come.

Interestingly, Stevie's yearning screams were very popular in the 70's era band - just listen to her haunting screams/moans at the end of Green Manalishi during the FM FM tour. GDW's ending vocal was borne out of that I think.

Anyway - I am thinking out loud.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 04-20-2004 at 10:15 PM..
Old 04-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
*hehehe*

I know Jason also likes it, and I'm pretty sure Christy and Nancy do as well. And I know I've seen at least a few others mention it in their setlist wishlists, so I assumed it's a favorite of theirs.

But yeah, the two of you are definitely the ones who talk it up the most.
It's your own personal "When I See You Again."
It's a lovely song. I actually figured most people liked it. Putting that and WISYA in the same category is incomprehensible to me!

That being said....
Quote:
Don't know why there's so many doors in the hallway
Don't know why I'd rather stare at the stairs
Turn me off, turn me out
But don't ask, "what's the matter, baby"

When I see you again, will you save me a place
When I see you again, will you be amazed
When I see you again, will your great eyes still say
"I"ll come running if you love me today"
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2004, 06:18 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When Tusk first came out in 1979 one of the AM radio stations in Boston played the whole LP. I only caught some of it and I did not care for what I heard.

Of course I did not hear the whole LP and the station did not even come in that clear down in Providence.

Tusk was released the next day and I sent my Mom to the store to buy it for me because I was in school. The first time I heard it on vinyl at home I liked it. Maybe by the 3rd time I played both LPs I was in love with it!

Tusk is just something that has to grow on you. In a few months you might say "I love this album". Everyone has their own individual taste and it not going to like the same things. I still can't get into Law and Order for example. I like Not that Funny, too and I know a lot of people that don't.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:23 PM
trackaghost
Old 04-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I do think his stuff is a mixed bag- but the greatness is truly greatness, whereas the lesser stuff isn't nearly the lows from "Mirage".

"Save Me a Place", "That's Enough For Me", "That's All For Everyone", and "Walk a Thin Line" are absolute, absolute greatness.

I know this is redundant, but what the hell.... "Sara", "Storms", "Sisters of the Moon", "Over and Over" and "Think About Me" could never have been the masterpieces they are without Lindsey's skill and vision. 'Nuff said, man.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I totally love that idea Jason, and I think you're right.
It hit me like a beacon as I was driving home a few minutes ago

Interestingly, SS has that sort of screaming at the end, but it is more like a nanny nanny boo boo type thing to me in its almost taunting laugh like OOooooohhhh OOoooooohhhhh OOooooohhhh OOOOhh Oooohhh Ahhh AHhh AHHHHHHH hhhhha hahhhhhaaaa. GDW is just so brilliant in its unstructured and frenetic angst.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 04-20-2004 at 06:29 PM..
Old 04-20-2004, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
It hit me like a beacon as I was driving home a few minutes ago

Interestingly, SS has that sort of screaming at the end, but it is more like a nanny nanny boo boo type thing to me in its almost taunting laugh like OOooooohhhh OOoooooohhhhh OOooooohhhh OOOOhh Oooohhh Ahhh AHhh AHHHHHHH hhhhha hahhhhhaaaa. GDW is just so brilliant in its unstructured and frenetic angst.
That whole post is f'ing hysterical, Jason. I laughed for a hearty five minutes.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:41 PM
trackaghost
Old 04-20-2004, 07:00 PM
strandinthewind
This message has been deleted by strandinthewind.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Diamondsnake, it was a compliment. You, at an age far younger than most of us have the ability to be the catalyst for discussion on this board. That is not a negative that I know of.....Look how much discussion this topic has raised in less than 12 hours.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you guys think Lindsey's Tusk songs are his darkest?
No, not even close. His go Insane songs are his darkest. they're not better but they're darker.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kinda off this topic, but I just recently discovered Out of the Cradle, and it contains some of my favorite Lindsey songs ever...a very personal album, and the sound is just phenomenal...kinda poppy, but it's great...I bought it for $2.99 so that was even better!

Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl
Kinda off this topic, but I just recently discovered Out of the Cradle, and it contains some of my favorite Lindsey songs ever...a very personal album, and the sound is just phenomenal...kinda poppy, but it's great...I bought it for $2.99 so that was even better!

Chris

Even if it IS off-topic, it's a great one to talk about. "Surrender the Rain" is perhaps Lindsey's BEST song ever, in my opinion. I think his Out of the Cradle material was his absolute peak!
Old 04-20-2004, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
That's a lot better!!!!

So that'll be your new avatar until that one day this summer in Portugal. Then you're going back to the friggin' bedbug, I presume.
Not to get nationalistic, but Portugal is going to kick their assets.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris, I understand the boat you are currently in...I started on these boards at 15 as well. I am now 18, and my taste has matured CONSIDERABLY...

Back when I first joined, I only listened to Stevie's songs, and never gave anyone else a try. But after hearing everyones opinions about Chris' and Lindsey's songs, I gave them a chance...and WOW I AM GLAD I DID!

Lindsey is nothing short of brilliant. June 6th, 2003 I sat 2nd row in front of Lindsey in Fort Lauderdale in pure awe! The man is NOTHING SHORT OF GENIUS....Take every song you like of Stevies and Chris from FM, (up to Tango) and realize they would not be ANYTHING close to their greatness if Lindsey wasn't there to guide them!

"Tusk" does take some getting used to, but you are in the early stages....I remember at my first listens only appreciating "the Ledge" and "tusk", but you will soon grow to LOVE and APPRECIATE Lindseys contribution to this record (I agree with everyone...Christine did not have good moments here, and thats fine....I could probably pick an album where I could say each member wasnt great). Just give it time....my advice is to give the record 3 complete run-throughs...I promise you will like them a bit more.

BTW...."Save Me A Place" is such an amazing song...you should really give that one a really good extra listen....Carne is dead right that this song is amazing.

Also, just be careful with the way certain things get posted....some people could take it the wrong way...if you ever have a question or anything, feel free to email me or PM me...

~Alex

Old 04-20-2004, 10:55 PM
greatdarkwing
This message has been deleted by greatdarkwing.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Not to get nationalistic,
So why did you do so??

Old 04-21-2004, 04:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I'd like to see Tusk placed up there with the White Album. Actually to me it's better.
Yep.