User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

CM: Well, because I just felt that…. look, it became absolutely…part of the show that I had to go and do Sonbird at the end of the concert and I could never figure it out why couldn't we do it, sort of … second from last encore and then do… something rousing at the end. But they always thought it was great to end with that. But you could hear a pin drop when I sang that song and uh…. it just seemed to really move people to hear that at the very end. Seemed to calm people down, rather than get them pumped up. They would applaud and the whole band would come back on and bow. And people just left quietly coz it just seemed to be calming.
Yes, I know what she said. I knew what you were referencing. I just don't think she really dislikes the placement that much.

For some reason, they like the calming. I mean SN and LB do the same thing in their solo shows. CM did it in hers. Was that because she thought fans expected it and couldn't deviate?

Michele
Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I know what she said. I knew what you were referencing. I just don't think she really dislikes the placement that much.

For some reason, they like the calming. I mean SN and LB do the same thing in their solo shows. CM did it in hers. Was that because she thought fans expected it and couldn't deviate?

Michele

yes I figured you did.

It just seemed rather unambiguous to me that if not going along with the rest of the band or advisers or whoever else, she would prefer to go with a more rousing song as the very last piece the audience hears. She's made her opinions known to the band, but doesn't feel strongly enough about it to put up a fight about it.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan77 View Post
Darn I'm sorry to hear that they shaved the set list by 2 songs. Luckily I saw the full set list last year but will be seeing them again in St Louis next week. Was really looking forward to the full 24 song set list including Seven Wonders and Songbird. It must be a sign they are getting worn down. I wish they would have built in more breaks rather than down-sizing the set list.
Hmmmm. Surely that wouldn't make any sense. If they were feeling worn down why would they bother cutting a song like Songbird? Its not exactly a song that requires a high degree of energy and only 2 of the band members feature. I'm guessing Songbird is much more taxing song for Christine's fingers.
Hope its back by the time they get to London.

They should surprise us and play I Don't Want To Know as a closer.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yes I figured you did.

It just seemed rather unambiguous to me that if not going along with the rest of the band or advisers or whoever else, she would prefer to go with a more rousing song as the very last piece the audience hears. She's made her opinions known to the band, but doesn't feel strongly enough about it to put up a fight about it.
Why didn't she close with an upbeat song on her own tour?

Michele
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why didn't she close with an upbeat song on her own tour?

Michele
I don't know. You'd have to ask her. That was a long time ago.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know. You'd have to ask her. That was a long time ago.
Perhaps because she felt that "calming" was best to close her own show too and in keeping with her personality. And, specifically for a live show with the audience leaving, as she described. Which is why they didn't use it at the end of her video album, because it wouldn't have the same effect there.

Michele
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I am a bit confused. Are we talking about the Christine McVie video album? If so, Songbird is played at the end. She tells everyone Merry Christmas and will see everyone on the road soon.
Maybe other copies don't have this song? I have the VHS tape and it includes songbird.

Is the injured finger speculation? Does anyone know if anything happened and how?

I think they just wanted to shorten the set a bit and decided to drop one encore and another song.

Songbird solo Country Club December 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wkh82ceAk

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-21-2015 at 06:53 AM..
Old 03-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Macfanforever
This message has been deleted by Macfanforever.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I am a bit confused. Are we talking about the Christine McVie video album? If so, Songbird is played at the end. She tells everyone Merry Christmas and will see everyone on the road soon.
Maybe other copies don't have this song? I have the VHS tape and it includes songbird.

Is the injured finger speculation? Does anyone know if anything happened and how?

I think they just wanted to shorten the set a bit and decided to drop one encore and another song.

Me too .I must of missed it somewhere.Whats wrong with Chris's hand.Its still a mystery to me.Does she have carpel tunnel.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Oh, no. Songbird is definitely on the video album. We were just talking about it's placement, whether it comes at the end or a little earlier in the set. Now, you mentioned the Country Club recording. At the live event, I don't think she ended with Songbird at the Country Club. I think she ended with Over My Head. Now, to me nothing is more rousing than OMH, but I don't think everyone feels that way. It's more of a "calming" closer as well. But it does have a sing-a-long vibe that Songbird doesn't have. Songbird is more of a listen.

Well, I sing along with OMH and that's not necessarily a good thing.

But for her tour in 1984, she closed with Songbird.

Michele
Old 03-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, no. Songbird is definitely on the video album. We were just talking about it's placement, whether it comes at the end or a little earlier in the set. Now, you mentioned the Country Club recording. At the live event, I don't think she ended with Songbird at the Country Club. I think she ended with Over My Head. Now, to me nothing is more rousing than OMH, but I don't think everyone feels that way. It's more of a "calming" closer as well. But it does have a sing-a-long vibe that Songbird doesn't have. Songbird is more of a listen.

Well, I sing along with OMH and that's not necessarily a good thing.

But for her tour in 1984, she closed with Songbird.

Michele
Interesting
At the end of Songbird she wishes everyone well and thanks them for their support and says they are going on tour. It looks like a closer to me. Unless she closed with Songbird and came back for OMH for an encore.

On her 1984 tour she never did OMH and did close with songbird.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interesting
At the end of Songbird she wishes everyone well and thanks them for their support and says they are going on tour. It looks like a closer to me. Unless she closed with Songbird and came back for OMH for an encore.

On her 1984 tour she never did OMH and did close with songbird.
You nailed it. She came back with SYLM and OMH as an encore. Now SYLM is the more upbeat of those 2, but she chose OMH to end, rather than SYLM. But I think she wanted a different vibe for the recording audience than she may have wanted for the tour. Or maybe she didn't like the response closing with OMH got and so the Country Club was the test audience and she switched it up after gauging their reaction.

Michele
Old 03-21-2015, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Songbird and Seven Wonders out of the set again tonight, apparently.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 03-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Songbird and Seven Wonders out of the set again tonight, apparently.
You beat me to the punch
The Stevie speech is gone too.
Check out my full Miami review in the Miami thread.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

goodness, what a mountain we've made out that little molehill!

It is interesting that folks are fixated on something Christine did thirty years ago rather than what actually came out of her mouth about the subject sometime last year.

The point is, people do change their feelings about things over three whole decades. What one feels about something in 1984 just might not be how one feels about it in 2014. I know I've changed my opinions on things over long periods of time. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway the fact is the song seems to be out of the set and continues to remain out of the set for some unknown reason. It will be interesting to see if it comes back.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A Fleetwood Mac concert without Songbird is like a day without sunshine. Impossible to believe. I am leaning towards the part where Chris's hand may be hurt. She would take off a black half glove and put it back on at different times. I saw her have it on during the maraccas on World Turning and then take it off to play keyboards during Don't Stop. So I thought she was padding her hands for the maraccas. But I was looking at photos from last night and Chris did not wear this glove during the maraccas on Everywhere. So it may be some sort of hand injury glove (carpal tunnel).
Fleetwood Mac has NEVER played concerts without closing with Songbird.