The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Stevie, Lindsey or Christine?? (favorite singer/songwriter)
Christine McVie 29 18.83%
Lindsey Buckingham 35 22.73%
Stevie Nicks 90 58.44%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
That's interesting. I always thought this song was about Carol Ann, but if it's interpreted the way you are saying, it might be about Stevie. "She's a lot like you" etc. I could see that.
You guys have stumbled on my favorite topic; Lindsey's lyrics. Re: Go Insane- lifted off Tumblr-

Recited as an intro to Go Insane from 1992-2007.

The world was calling you away and your leaving was just a way of staying with what you had come to say,

This pain was a poem, slowly written, torn from the book and cast into a corner in the attic, where no one could look,

This rage for all to see, caught fire and burned all around me till there was nothing left to burn,

Now I stand alone in these attic bones and re-read that poem, all yellowed with age,

Tears heal such as healing is, so I cast that page into the ashes and there is no blame, only shades of regret,

and those too will fade…

as the world calls me away.

————————————————

Related quotes by LB through the years-

On the world calling her away- ”She (Stevie) was more or less selected by the world to do a job. She did what she had to do and that’s all there is to it.” 1984

When asked why they broke up: “Stevie, at some point her persona onstage was latched onto and she was in a sense called away by a larger world and separated on her own from me.”- Sound Opinions August 2013

On pain: ”Even when we first joined, Stevie and I were in some sort of a transition,” says Buckingham. And there was never a point where there wasn’t this underpinning of psychological torment.” 1997

"In the 12 years I was involved in the band, there was so much baggage and whatever was going on behind the scenes with the couples. It was all masked by a certain level of pain. Various levels of pain, quite a bit at times." 1997

Has the pain not yet dissipated? “I don’t think it ever will,” he says. “In some ways, that makes it more bittersweet.” 2003

On anger: “I’ve known Stevie since I was 16 years old. I was completely devastated when she took off. And yet I had to make hits for her, I had to do a lot of things for her that I really didn’t want to do, and yet I did them. So on one level I was a complete professional in rising above that, but there was a lot of pent-up frustration and anger towards Stevie in me for many years.” 2003

On his temper: “Some of it was situational. You’ve got to understand, it was very difficult for me to have Stevie break up with me and to still be in a band with her, to never get a sense of closure. It took its toll emotionally.” 2013

On the meaning of the song Go Insane: “We were disintegrating as couples, by virtue of that, we were suffering as people. So in order to get work done, I had to go through this elaborate exercise in denial- leaving whole areas of baggage on the other side of the room, compartmentalize feelings.. no time to get closure, to work things out.. working in a very highly charged and ambivalent environment. So the go insane thing- would just be whenever I let my guard down and got back to all the things I hadn’t dealt with, it was almost like going insane- like I always do. Took a long, long time, working in an artificial environment on a personal level. So many things not worked through for a long, long time." 4/2008
Old 05-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The poem's title, Sardonic World, gives insight as to how to interpret it.

Michele
Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As in a world that is scornfully or cynically mocking.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
Somebody's got to see this through
All the world is laughing at you
Somebody's got to sacrifice
If this whole thing's gonna turn out right
(You Do Or You Don't / Bleed To Love Her)

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 05-04-2014, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This poll is silly. Everyone knows Stevie will get the most votes. It's almost to prove a point that's she's the most popular.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Winning" isn't really the point here, though. It's just interesting to see the actual numbers. I actually thought Lindsey would have more votes and Christine fewer.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Somebody's got to see this through
All the world is laughing at you
Somebody's got to sacrifice
If this whole thing's gonna turn out right
(You Do Or You Don't / Bleed To Love Her)
This reminds me- his comments on the "world" in this old Bob Dylan song seem very apropos as well:

"I Want You," by Bob Dylan, never fails to bring tears to my eyes. It seems to me to be a complete emotional picture of a young man, alienated and in need, cruel and tender, in the center of a world of pretense and hypocrisy—a world he’d wished for and helped create, but could not anticipate." ~Lindsey Buckingham

I'd say it's not much of a leap to think he hears this Dylan tune, and thinks of himself and those 12 years in FM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
"out of the cradle, endlessly rocking"

For some reason the rhythm of the line you quoted made me think of that line out of the Walt Whitman poem he referenced on Out of the Cradle. and it kinda rhymes
Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Most Christine and Lindseyfans are already gone because of it.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
very old poll... bumping since there appear to be many new members around here in the last 2 years, or so.

the most recent results:

Christine McVie 20 16.53%
Lindsey Buckingham 28 23.14%
Stevie Nicks 73 60.33%
Voters: 121.

i expect the ratio to remain about the same, but we'll see. it's easily possible that some Christine fans joined or came back since she ended her retirement.
ok, so since we last voted we have 5 new Chris fans, 5 new Linds fans, and 13 more Stevie fans join:

Christine McVie 25 17.36%
Lindsey Buckingham 33 22.92%
Stevie Nicks 86 59.72%

love watching this unfold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Most Christine and Lindseyfans are already gone because of it.
i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
"Winning" isn't really the point here, though. It's just interesting to see the actual numbers. I actually thought Lindsey would have more votes and Christine fewer.
yes this poll reflects the makeup of the membership on TL, doesn't mean necessarily much more than that. i was pleasantly surprised to see how many Chris fans have stuck around.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

SortaSavage once created a chart which I thought was pretty hilarious detailing the perceptions of Stevie, Lindsey and Christine on various websites. I can't find it, although I have done searches.

If anyone here remembers and has it, please post it again.

Michele
Old 05-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
SortaSavage once created a chart which I thought was pretty hilarious detailing the perceptions of Stevie, Lindsey and Christine on various websites. I can't find it, although I have done searches.

If anyone here remembers and has it, please post it again.

Michele
I remember that--I think this links to it? Sorry not to copy and post the table--on my phone at the moment and cant resize the file (downloaded and it is too large to insert).

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=37736

Last edited by jenniferuk; 05-04-2014 at 04:03 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post
I remember that--I think this links to it? Sorry not to copy and post the table--on my phone at the moment and cant resize the file (downloaded and it is too large to insert).

Oh yes, that's it. Thank you.

Michele
Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferuk View Post

love it, thanks!

and........ 6 years later, the ledge is still here, while the other 2 are long gone (or gone for about 2 years i think?).

we definitely have the elements of all 3 now on TL. although they were probably here in 2008 too.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"