User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Blue Horizon Releases!!

GREAT NEWS!!

Finally Mike Vernon and Sony are re-releasing some of the artists on Bues Horizon!! The March issue of Record Collector says:

"A number of best-ofs from the Blue Horizon labelwill be reissued during the course of the year by Sony."

"...the reissue programme will continue in May with 2-CD best-of sets from Duster Bennett and 'Champion' Jack Dupree, both titledThe Complete Blue Horizon Sessions ."

"...between September and December there will be three or four releases per month from the likes of Eddie Boyd (7936 South Rhodes) .... Gordon Smith (Long Overdue) ..... Otis Spann (Biggest Thing Since Colossus)."

The article also mentions artists like Johnny Shines, Chicken Shack, Top Topham, Bukka White etc... and of course Fleetwood Mac.

If it happens, it is wonderful! I have waited SO LONG for Duster Bennett's original albums to appear on CD. The Indigo home recordings were interesting enough, but the originals deserves to be reissued!!

Daniel
Old 03-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fantastic! That is news worth celebrating!

I too have been waiting a LONG time to see some of these issued - or in the case of the Eddie Boyd and Otis Spann discs, re-issued -
I hope that with those two, they'll add the tracks that were issued as singles only - with Boyd, the two tracks that ended up on "Pious Bird of Good Omen" and maybe even the two numbers he recorded with T.S. McPhee at his session for Decca that Vernon released on Blue Horizon -

With the Spann, I was disappointed that the "import only" CD did not contain the alternate title "Temperature Is Risin' (98.8 degrees) and the track licensed to Excello, "Blues For Hippies" a track Spann originally recorded with the Muddy Waters Blues Band - hopefully this release will "correct" the oversight

With the Duster Bennett and Gordon Smith we can only hope that, as with the Fleetwood Mac "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" they found some long forgotten tracks on the master reels

The Champion Jack Dupree has Duster Bennett on harmonica, Paul Kossoff and Simon Kirke (moonlighting from their pre-Free band, Black Cat Bone) on guitar and drums and Stan Webb also does guitar duties on some tracks -

Don't know much about the Bukka White -

The Johnny Shines I would highly recommend to any blues fan - I believe this an 1972 LP - Shines was a running buddy of Robert Johnson and one of the most expressive vocalists and finest slide players you're ever likely to hear - whether he's playing acoustic or electric, (this set is mainly electric) his mastery of touch and tone can be appreciated by any Green fan - powerful stuff - not for everyone but worth checking out -

Thanks again for the info - you've made my day!

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 03-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The article ends with: "A reconfigured Blue Horizon box set is due in October." My guess is that this is a follow up to the various artists 3CD box set called "The Blue Horizon Story, Vol. 1" that was released some years ago.

The set contained songs of (I think) all artists on BH. Bukka White is a country blues guitarist/singer. I think BB King once said that he was his cousin... Anyway, Bukka really growls when he sings and the track on the box set is a highlight!! I am really looking forward to the complete CD.

Also, in August Blue Horizon will release a 2CD set called Presenting Country Blues , including obscure artists like 'Mississippi' Joe Callicott, Furry Lewis and Larry Johnson. This was originally a serie of, I think, 3 LPs released on Blue Horizon in 1969. "The Blue Horizon Story, Vol. 1" has songs from these players too, and I tell you it is some of the best country blues I've ever heard!

A also recommend the C J Dupree recordings!!

Daniel
Old 03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Thanks so much for posting this news. This figures, I was being patient with RC, because they were suppossed to send me a reminder to renew my subscription (as they have the last few years, which I was waiting for to do it) but of course they never sent the note so I gotta go and track down a copy now and start over, ggrrr!

Anyways, in the meantime, if anyone comes across more info on this (tracklistings etc.) please do post them here, and thanks very much once again.

John
Old 03-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Ledgie

This is really good news, as I wish to replace some of my vinyl recordings with cd versions.

After Duster Bennett recorded the 'Bright Lights...Big City' album at the Gin Mill club, (Angel Hotel) Godalming, Surrey., Mike Vernon repeated the live recording gig at the Gin Mill with Champion Jack Dupree. The recording was never released as Mike Vernon felt that the recordings were not good enough at the time. I wonder if the tapes still exist and if so, will they see the light of day? I do hope so.
I also saw Gordon Smith at the same venue, but Mike did not record that particular gig. (Shame, as he was really good.)

I was at the Duster Bennet gig which was fabulous, and still recall the moment, this tall guy stood right in front of me with two good looking girls in tow. Yes, you guessed right. Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green arrived with these two femails ( Jenny and Sandra?) to lend Duster some support. Peter played a six string Fender bass on a couple of tracks, but Mick was just part of the audience. I never plucked up the the courage to engage him in conversation, but he did turn round at one point, smiled and said hi. Peter's playing that night was awesome, unlike any bass player I had seen before. Top Topham played Lead guitar for Duster and a great time was had by all that night, back in 69.

Blue Horizon.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Thanks for the story Blue Horizon, I have always wondered what the atmosphere was like at some of these gigs, particularly the documented ones like the live Bennett "Bright lights" one. Please do keep those tales comin' if you (or anyone else for that matter) has any to tell.

Anyways, I just got this edition of RC for this article and I was glad to see that they're going to release the "Christine Perfect" album on CD (as well as one she played on, Marth Velez's "Fiends and angels", I hope they say in the notes which song(s) she's on as I've heard conflicting things about this over the years) between this Sep-Dec dates. I do have CP on CD now but it's so rare on CD that I'm afraid of playing it for fear of my copy breaking so at least those worrying days will be over soon.

It's hard to say from their write up whether the Spann, Smith & Boyd reissues will include any of the related stray rarities as bonus tracks or not, I'd sure like to find that out too. If the Bennett "best of" is a "Complete BH sessions" set as they say though, then maybe that one could be good.

I was disappointed to see in the article though that they're going to release the 2 CP era Chicken Shack albums ("40 blue fingers..." & "OK Ken") as a two-fer (2 albums on 1 CD), as though I normally like the condensing idea, in this case, it would probably mean that there would be now not be space to add those CS single only tracks she was on from that time. Maybe it'll be 2 discs (one with 40BFFPARTS & OKK, and the other with the single tracks)? I kind of doubt it since the total time of those tracks probably wouldn't even make 30 minutes so it'd be a skimpy second disc if they did do this and since they are referring to it as a two-fer then it probably is just one disc. Well, maybe they'll be on this mysterious new BH box.

John
Old 03-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really enjoyed reading your story, Blue Horizon. Thank you very much
Old 03-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
I just got this edition of RC for this article and I was glad to see that they're going to release the "Christine Perfect" album on CD ... I was disappointed to see in the article though that they're going to release the 2 CP era Chicken Shack albums ("40 blue fingers..." & "OK Ken") as a two-fer
FYI, all three were issued on CD in Europe sometime back. I got my Christine Perfect CD at a record show about ten years or so ago, and my Chicken Shack CDs in Europe about eight years ago. (Man, it seems like the Europe trip was only two years ago!)

My theory is that if they cut all the Stan Webb BS on "O.K. Ken," they may be able to put extra stuff on the CD. (Those who have the album/CD know what I'm talking about.)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood

Anyways, I just got this edition of RC for this article and I was glad to see that they're going to release the "Christine Perfect" album on CD (as well as one she played on, Marth Velez's "Fiends and angels", I hope they say in the notes which song(s) she's on as I've heard conflicting things about this over the years) between this Sep-Dec dates. I do have CP on CD now but it's so rare on CD that I'm afraid of playing it for fear of my copy breaking so at least those worrying days will be over soon.

I was disappointed to see in the article though that they're going to release the 2 CP era Chicken Shack albums ("40 blue fingers..." & "OK Ken") as a two-fer (2 albums on 1 CD), as though I normally like the condensing idea, in this case, it would probably mean that there would be now not be space to add those CS single only tracks she was on from that time. Maybe it'll be 2 discs (one with 40BFFPARTS & OKK, and the other with the single tracks)? I kind of doubt it since the total time of those tracks probably wouldn't even make 30 minutes so it'd be a skimpy second disc if they did do this and since they are referring to it as a two-fer then it probably is just one disc. Well, maybe they'll be on this mysterious new BH box.

John
John,
Where did you hear this? Is it just a rumour or is it for real? I already have the Christine Perfect album on CD, but I might get another copy anyway. Like you, it's so valuable, I'm afraid to play it. I usually play one of my vinyl copies instead. I can't believe Christine is allowing her solo album to be re-released. She's always spoken very negatively about this album. I wonder if she has any say in whether this happens. I also need that Martha Velez album on CD, too. I have a compilation CD with some of the songs from that album, but I'd much prefer to have the entire original album on CD. I have both Chicken Shack albums on CD already. If there's any bonus tracks, then I'll have to buy that 2 for 1 CD also.

Are these CDs going to be released in the U.S. and do you have any release dates?

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-07-2004 at 07:38 AM..
Old 03-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This info is fromand article on page 15 in the March issue of UK magazine "Record Collector" It is a very good, serious magazine, so I guess it is no joke.

Here are the dates:

5 April:
Previously-expanded versions of Fleetwood Mac's Fleetwood Mac, Mr Wonderful, Pious Bird Of Good Omen, Blues Jam In Chicago and The Original Fleetwood Mac.

May:
2CD sets of Duster Bennett and Champion Jack Dupree, both called "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions".

June:
Chicken Shack twofers 40 Blue Fingers/OK Ken and 100 Ton Chicken/Accept.

July:
Another twofer of George Smith called No Time For Jive/Bacon Fat-Grease On For Me.

August:
2CD called Presenting Country Blues (with Mississippi Joe Callicott, Furry Lewis and Larry Johnson).

September-December:
Eddie Boyd (7936 South Rhodes), Curtis Jones (Now Resident In Europe), Gordon Smith (Long Overdue), Johnny Shines (Last Night's Dream), Synnyland Slim (Midnight Jump), Otis Spann (Biggest Thing Since Colossus), Bukka White (Memphis Hot Shots), Johnny Young (Fat Mandolin), Jellybread (First Slice), Top Topham (Ascension Heights), the eponymous Key Largo, Christine Perfect, and Martha Velez (Fiends And Angels), and a BH box set in October.

That's about it!! Pretty much to look forward to, and to spend our money on, or what!?!?!

Daniel
Old 03-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
John,
Where did you hear this? Is it just a rumour or is it for real? I already have the Christine Perfect album on CD, but I might get another copy anyway. Like you, it's so valuable, I'm afraid to play it. I usually play one of my vinyl copies instead. I can't believe Christine is allowing her solo album to be re-released. She's always spoken very negatively about this album. I wonder if she has any say in whether this happens. I also need that Martha Velez album on CD, too. I have a compilation CD with some of the songs from that album, but I'd much prefer to have the entire original album on CD. I have both Chicken Shack albums on CD already. If there's any bonus tracks, then I'll have to buy that 2 for 1 CD also.

Are these CDs going to be released in the U.S. and do you have any release dates?
I don't think they're going to be released in the US but who knows? I'm sure if Christine had her say, the CP album masters wold've been burnt long ago but luckily for us I don't think she has any say in it. It really is a shame she doesn't like it to the extent that she does, it really is a good album.

Anyways, here's the text of the RC article which I've scanned and this is where I got the info I did in my above post. Note tha the CS picture they mention that was included was not from the CM/CP era, so I didn't scan that:

"BROADENING
HORIZONS
A number of best-ofs from the Blue
Horizon label will be reissued during
the course of the year by Sony. The
label's vaults -which house
recordings by Duster Bennett,
Chicken Shack (pictured right),
'Champion' Jack Dupree, Peter
Green's Fleetwood Mac and George
Smith -will spawn a series of
remastered original albums too. It will kick off on 5 April with previously-expand
ed versions of Fleetwood Mac's Fleetwood Mac, Mr. Wonderful, Pious Bird Of
Good Omen, Blues Jam In Chicago and Original Fleetwood Mac.
Overseen by label boss Mike Vernon, the reissue programme will continue
in May with 2-CD best-of sets from Duster Bennett and 'Champion' Jack
Dupree, both titled The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions. June sees the
release of the Chicken Shack twofers, Forty Blue Fingers/OK Ken and 100 Ton
Chicken/Accept. Another twofer emerges in July in the shape of George
Smith's No Time For Jive/Bacon Fat- Grease One For Me. In August, there's
a 2-CD set, Presenting Country Blues, covering 'MississippI' Joe Ca111cott,
Furry Lewis and Larry Johnson. Finally, between September and December,
there will be three or four releases per month from the likes of Eddie Boyd
( 7936 South Rhodes), Curtis Jones (Now Resident In Europe), Furry Lewis &
Bukka White (Memphis Country Blues Festiva/), Gordon Smith (Long Overdue),
Johnny Shines (Last Night's Dream), Sunnyland SlIm (Midnight Jump), Otis
Spann (Biggest Thing Since Colossus), Bukka White (Memphis Hot Shots),
Johnny Young (Fat Mandolin), Jellybread (First Slice), Top Topham (Ascension
Heights), the eponymous Key Largo and Christine Perfect, and Martha Velez
(Fiends And Angels). A reconfigured Blue Horizon box set is due in October."

Hope that helps.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 03-07-2004 at 06:57 PM..
Old 03-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveMacD
FYI, all three were issued on CD in Europe sometime back. I got my Christine Perfect CD at a record show about ten years or so ago, and my Chicken Shack CDs in Europe about eight years ago. (Man, it seems like the Europe trip was only two years ago!)

My theory is that if they cut all the Stan Webb BS on "O.K. Ken," they may be able to put extra stuff on the CD. (Those who have the album/CD know what I'm talking about.)
Yeah, I think I must have the same CD editions of these albums you do too.

Well, I sure hope you're theory is right, but I just checked out the counter times of these CS CD's as they stand now on my CD player and it says 40BFFPARTS is 39:45 and that "OK Ken" is 42:23. So as it is, they total over 80 minutes, so they MUST be cutting out Webb's talking stuff at the beginning of all of the "OK Ken" songs in order to fit these 2 albums on 1 CD. However, even if we assume there's a full minute of talking at the beginning of each song on that record (which I don't think it would work out to but with the benefit of the doubt...) then that would be 11 minutes they'd save for "extras" (and even then, it'd still be less because of the 2 albums clocking in at OVER 80 minutes in total but again, trying to go along with this idea...because I want it to work too! ) then sure, they may fit SOME of the CS singles only tracks but certainly not all of them, as "Night life" & "Six night in seven" alone must be close to (if not over) 5 minutes each and that still leaves "Hey baby", "It's okay with me baby", "Worried about my woman" & "When my left eye jumps", which is also lengthy (not to mention the single version of "When the train comes back" and "I'd rather go blind" though of course we'll get IRGB on the CP CD anyways but still...) so I don't know. I think our only hope in getting all of the CS CP era tracks on one set is if they meant it will be in "one package" (like in one of those gatefold 2 CD jewel cases, like say, FM's "Live at the BBC" "set") but on 2 discs, but it was their "two-fer" wording that had me worrying, we can hope though that they will squeeze them all in there, whatever the configuration may be.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 03-07-2004 at 07:00 PM..
Old 03-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you, Daniel & John. This is terrific news! I have a feeling that they cut out the talking on O.K. Ken in order to fit the 2 albums onto 1 CD. I'd prefer all of the Christine/Chicken Shack albums & singles together, but you can't have everything. It looks like I'll be checking the Amazon U.K. site if they won't be released here in the U.S.

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-07-2004 at 12:02 PM..
Old 03-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
Thank you, Daniel & John. This is terrific news! I have a feeling that they cut out the talking on O.K. Ken in order to fit the 2 albums onto 1 CD. I'd prefer all of the Christine/Chicken Shack albums & singles together, but you can't have everything. It looks like I'll be checking the Amazon U.K. site if they won't be released here in the U.S.
You're welcome macfan57 and I guess I'll be checking Amazon UK too but hopefully it'll be like the CBHS box set and will come out here as well, here's hoping anyways.

John
Old 03-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You're welcome, macfan57!!

I thought I was dreaming when I read it. Some years ago Mike Vernon said that he was going to remaster Otis Spann's "Biggest Thing Since Colossus", but nothing happened and I thought the whole thing was cancelled.

That album is fantastic!! And I hope that the new version will include the alternate "Temperature Is Rising" and "Blues For Hippies". BFH is a good track, but it does only have a guitar riff that repeats all along. TIR has an amazing guitar solo. Spann and Mac really created magic during that session!!

Daniel