Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Collectors Corner

I was just curious, with all the new technology, mp3's etc, what is the state of collecting out there? I am old school and want hard copies of everything (I still buy cd's and vinyl). Do the younger folks collect that way? Or do they not really care? What and how do you collect?

I thought we might start a thread and we could compare notes on what is out there, the reproductions surfacing, and any general or specific collecting questions we might have. Things we are looking for, want to trade, things we found....

Any die hard collectors left?

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss View Post
I was just curious, with all the new technology, mp3's etc, what is the state of collecting out there? I am old school and want hard copies of everything (I still buy cd's and vinyl). Do the younger folks collect that way? Or do they not really care? What and how do you collect?

I thought we might start a thread and we could compare notes on what is out there, the reproductions surfacing, and any general or specific collecting questions we might have. Things we are looking for, want to trade, things we found....

I'm 25 and my SO and I collect everything we can find minus CDs however. I find CDs just clutter up my car, so I prefer digital when it comes to that aspect. But if it's on vinyl, I'm gonna get it! We buy most everything fm related we can find; posters, 45's, 12" maxis, all picture sleeves, "promotional use only", shirts, magazines, you name it. I also collect mp3 demos/outtakes if they're good.

Seeker, what's your most treasured item?
Just a dream, just a dream.

Last edited by HelloMonster; 08-10-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been an FM collector since I can remember. Favoring SN, but collecting most anything to do w/ Rumours lineup FM. I have over 350 45's of just the Mac and solo members, close to 150 12" records (albums from all over world, singles, etc) Posters coming out my sides, concert t's, nik, naks, Maybe 100+cd's of just them, photos-GADS of photos, and most recently to my surprise over 4 large (11x17) scrap book books full of loose clippings and photos. Near 400 pages, so roughly 100 pages a book. Magazines, books, personal items (limited) and jeez-idk what else. If I didn't collect Stevie-I honestly don't know what hobby I'd have. Maybe therapy sessions.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I won't buy anything digitally. I only bought Extended Play on iTunes because that was the only way of buying it. I'm really into a bit of a phase now where I buy all things Stevie and FM on vinyl and some on CD. I've recently bought A LOT of 7 and 12" singles from various record shops and I love studying the covers and I also like the smell! I recently bought a 12" version of Whole Lotta Trouble for just £3, which I think is rare, and a limited edition photo pack version of Sometimes it's a Bitch on 7". I also bought a lot of FM stuff but I don't think anything is especially rare. I love collecting vinyl and I've already ordered 24 Karat Gold on vinyl and I'm sure I'll get my hands on Fleetwood Mac's new album on vinyl, if it's available.
I'm interested to hear if anyone has the same vinyls as me or has anything especially rare as I'm really intrigued.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
I'm 25 and my SO and I collect everything we can find minus CDs however. I find CDs just clutter up my car, so I prefer digital when it comes to that aspect. But if it's on vinyl, I'm gonna get it! We buy most everything fm related we can find; posters, 45's, 12" maxis, all picture sleeves, "promotional use only", shirts, magazines, you name it. I also collect mp3 demos/outtakes if they're good.

Seeker, what's your most treasured item?
I have been fortunate enough to have met both Fmac and Stevie on several occasions. Back in the early 80's both were much more approachable, and getting backstage was relatively easy. I have some autographed things and some personal items they gave to me. My most treasured item is my memories of speaking to them all at length. All of them have always been very kind and down to earth.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL - of autographs. Unless you see them sign in person, or know the source very well, I wouldn't touch an autograph for sale. Unfortunately, Stevie has had her people sign for her. I was very disappointed when I saw that. COA's are completely worthless. Also to tell if one is legit is very difficult, especially when the band was practicing better living through chemistry, shall we say.

Last edited by seeker007nmss; 08-10-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
I've been an FM collector since I can remember. Favoring SN, but collecting most anything to do w/ Rumours lineup FM. I have over 350 45's of just the Mac and solo members, close to 150 12" records (albums from all over world, singles, etc) Posters coming out my sides, concert t's, nik, naks, Maybe 100+cd's of just them, photos-GADS of photos, and most recently to my surprise over 4 large (11x17) scrap book books full of loose clippings and photos. Near 400 pages, so roughly 100 pages a book. Magazines, books, personal items (limited) and jeez-idk what else. If I didn't collect Stevie-I honestly don't know what hobby I'd have. Maybe therapy sessions.

Sounds very familiar. And yet I still come across stuff I didn't know existed. Some stuff I found early on has never surfaced again in nearly 40 years. Some I picked up, others I kick myself for passing on. Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited by seeker007nmss; 08-10-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I won't buy anything digitally. I only bought Extended Play on iTunes because that was the only way of buying it. I'm really into a bit of a phase now where I buy all things Stevie and FM on vinyl and some on CD. I've recently bought A LOT of 7 and 12" singles from various record shops and I love studying the covers and I also like the smell! I recently bought a 12" version of Whole Lotta Trouble for just £3, which I think is rare, and a limited edition photo pack version of Sometimes it's a Bitch on 7". I also bought a lot of FM stuff but I don't think anything is especially rare. I love collecting vinyl and I've already ordered 24 Karat Gold on vinyl and I'm sure I'll get my hands on Fleetwood Mac's new album on vinyl, if it's available.
I'm interested to hear if anyone has the same vinyls as me or has anything especially rare as I'm really intrigued.
The rarest vinyl I know of is some promotional picture discs of Belladonna and Wild Heart lp's.

Last edited by seeker007nmss; 08-10-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Will a big fat zero on todays sound and video files for any collecting value.

I'm old school all the way. Thank goodness that vinyl is popping back in the picture .They can keep the MP3's The image files and Frisbee the CD's out the window

Back in the early 1990's Way before Ebay I received the Goldmine collectors magazine from my neighbor. I must of spend $1000 and $1000 on Stevie and FM stuff.

The problem now is the counterfeit stuff out there.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 08-10-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Will a big fat zero on todays sound and video files for any collecting value.

I'm old school all the way. Thank goodness that vinyl is popping back in the picture .They can keep the MP3's The image files and Frisbee the CD's out the window

Back in the early 1990's Way before Ebay I received the Goldmine collectors magazine from my neighbor. I must of spend $1000 and $1000 on Stevie and FM stuff.

The problem now is the counterfeit stuff out there.
I loved Goldmine! One of my letters got published in it when I asked a question about Stevie and Fritz _ They couldn't answer it.

The counterfeit stuff I see is mostly in paper goods and fake t-shirts. Posters are especially reproduced. Stay completely away from autographs. Lots of fake merchandise too. One of the reasons I started this thread is so we all could comment and compare information.

Collector tip: Paying extra for something still in shrink wrap. Anything can be reshrinkwrapped. Easy and cheap to do.

Last edited by seeker007nmss; 08-10-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Those pic discs are priority #1 for me to obtain. I've only ever seen them in pics, never in person. I know NO ONE who has them-and I've only ever heard that people do. I knew some hardcore record fanatics before my time and when they didn't have them I thought wow-maybe these don't exist. LOL
JAMES89 if interested, PM me your email and I'll send you all the files (pics) I last took of my collection. Like I stated, my 45 collection on FM, SN, Chris & Lindsey (w/some "related" thrown in) is actually nearing more to 400. My LP's I haven't counted lately, but be well aware that what you may have from Germany (45 or LP or cd for that matter) can be substantially different (pic/font/song placement) than UK or France. Is (imho) very interesting.
SEEKER~I found an old ebay auction slip I printed of purchased BN singles from Australia. Thankfully I bought them as I don't see them anymore. I paid (what I thought to be) an exuberant amount of money 10+ years ago but oh man what I'd pay today had I now gotten them. We should start a thread of "I could kick myself in ass" for times we've passed on buying Mac related items, missed the boat on meeting them, etc. lol

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
Those pic discs are priority #1 for me to obtain. I've only ever seen them in pics, never in person. I know NO ONE who has them-and I've only ever heard that people do. I knew some hardcore record fanatics before my time and when they didn't have them I thought wow-maybe these don't exist. LOL
JAMES89 if interested, PM me your email and I'll send you all the files (pics) I last took of my collection. Like I stated, my 45 collection on FM, SN, Chris & Lindsey (w/some "related" thrown in) is actually nearing more to 400. My LP's I haven't counted lately, but be well aware that what you may have from Germany (45 or LP or cd for that matter) can be substantially different (pic/font/song placement) than UK or France. Is (imho) very interesting.
SEEKER~I found an old ebay auction slip I printed of purchased BN singles from Australia. Thankfully I bought them as I don't see them anymore. I paid (what I thought to be) an exuberant amount of money 10+ years ago but oh man what I'd pay today had I now gotten them. We should start a thread of "I could kick myself in ass" for times we've passed on buying Mac related items, missed the boat on meeting them, etc. lol
I actually own them. (pic discs) Took the pics on my bed about 30 minutes ago. Got them in early 80's and have never seen them since. I passed on many B/N things early on that are in the "kick in ass" category. I have been looking for the Stevie Belladonna Standup since 1981. Only seen one in pictures. No one else has heard of it. About life size. Sending you a pm.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I loved Goldmine! One of my letters got published in it when I asked a question about Stevie and Fritz _ They couldn't answer it.

The counterfeit stuff I see is mostly in paper goods and fake t-shirts. Posters are especially reproduced. Stay completely away from autographs. Lots of fake merchandise too. One of the reasons I started this thread is so we all could comment and compare information.

Collector tip: Paying extra for something still in shrink wrap. Anything can be reshrinkwrapped. Easy and cheap to do.
Yes I agree.With todays technology with computer printers ,screen printing.

Yes Re-shrink wrapping .I worked at two warehouses years back that had shrink wrap machines .So they are available.

Also beware of radio shows on CD on Ebay.I purchased some that were burned copies of Stevie's Jim Ladd interviews and other interviews ,Radio live concerts and they were not original radio station copies.They played great but they were not original.

I remember the Ebayer screwed up on the 1983 Jim Ladd interview and left a segment out.He reshipped a complete copy with no hassles.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And to add to the "kick in the ass" I should have bought that category is the "feel the burn" I way overpaid or this is fake category. Wait, what? They have it on that other site at half the cost? And the ever popular - they never issued that, it is a fantasy piece.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I recently had a "kick in the ass" moment, too! There was a huge like 4ft by 4ft Rumours album poster in an antique mall in Kansas City. The seller supposedly was someone who used to own a record store that went out of business, but who knows. All I know is that they wanted $300 for it, and we just couldn't do it at the time. But when we got the money and called, OF COURSE it had just been purchased. Bastards!
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had my share of "Kicking my fat ass" on some eBay items getting out bid.