Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

I don't know if there are creative differences or not, but when I read somewhere that Stevie wasn't going to be on the album @ all because of her solo album, I was or I am very disappointed. I hope that is wrong & she is on there somewhere. It just won't be same with her.

Lee
Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
do we really think their tension is still creative at this point? or has any lingering "tension" become more arresting to any creative growth FM might still have?
"Creative growth" in reference to Fleetwood Mac is long dead.

Quote:
... and then there was their most recent output - EP, on which there was no creative tension considering Stevie was mostly absent from it, and contributed one song from 1974 which has been also argued by fans that is worse on the EP than the original demo.
Which ALWAYS puzzles me. Stevie fans have always had a major b*tch about the "official" release of songs whose demo versions have long been bootlegged. That's just insane IMO, there's not been one demo of hers that she's later released have I thought the demo was superior to the final released version. Not even CLOSE.

There's only one song (by ANY artist) that I've heard in my lifetime that the demo version was superior to the final released track, the Beach Boys' "Somewhere Near Japan". And, even in that case, it's a close call.

Quote:
no new album for 10+ years doesn't seem very creative to me.
AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
Personally, I'm bored rigid of hearing about the tension in Fleetwood Mac, new and old. They need to put up or shut up. Release a new album or shelve it and finally call it quits after the current tour, just don't drag the whole thing out to make yet another soap opera.
Can I get a "hallelujah"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
The band focuses far too much on the past when they really need to concentrate on the present.
For me, they don't even need to concentrate on the present, if they'd just concentrate on something OTHER than Rumours, I'd be ecstatic!!
I long (most likely in vain) that they'll do a "NoRumours" tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I don't know if there are creative differences or not, but when I read somewhere that Stevie wasn't going to be on the album @ all because of her solo album, I was or I am very disappointed. I hope that is wrong & she is on there somewhere. It just won't be same with her.
She'll be on the new album...maybe not as a songwriter, but her voice will be and she'll have numerous photos of her in the booklet, if not on the front or back cover.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-08-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm bored to see that there's always tensions on this band. Come on, they're not young now, they can't be all the time discussing for personal/professional things, even when they can express it on the records and make a successful work.
The pictures of Lindsey and Chris working together gave me a little clue. Yes, they're motivated now, and I know Stevie is happy with Christine's return, but she's interested on her solo career too, and she wants to work alone. That can create a new tension between them, even when it's everything ready to show what they did all this time.
It's disappointing for a fan, to know that 11 years after their last studio album, and more than 25 after the last work of the "five", things didn't change at all. Of course Stevie can continue with her solo career, but for what I see, her work with FM was too little, and if there's a new album, we'll see again 2 or 3 songs of SN, and 4 or 5 of CM and LB.
Regards!
Mark.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD;1138277
For me, they don't even need to concentrate on the present, if they'd just concentrate on something OTHER than [I
Rumours[/I], I'd be ecstatic!!
You know what? This is a great idea. It could be a promotional gimmick in and of itself and they could give all the interviews explaining why they aren't doing any Rumours songs, letting them put a new spin on things.

Also, the band can't be afraid of alienating casual fans because they should know what songs they won't be getting by the tour title! Fair warning. I think this is a great marketing idea.

Michele
Old 08-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You know what? This is a great idea. It could be a promotional gimmick in and of itself and they could give all the interviews explaining why they aren't doing any Rumours songs, letting them put a new spin on things.

Also, the band can't be afraid of alienating casual fans because they should know what songs they won't be getting by the tour title! Fair warning. I think this is a great marketing idea.

Michele
And think how many songs are still available to play for the casaul fans. No one has to go home without hearing Landslide, Rhiannon, or Tusk. There are bands who have had 90% of their most famous material come from one album, but Fleetwood Mac had the good fortune of spreading their hits over several.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
And think how many songs are still available to play for the casaul fans. No one has to go home without hearing Landslide, Rhiannon, or Tusk. There are bands who have had 90% of their most famous material come from one album, but Fleetwood Mac had the good fortune of spreading their hits over several.
it also leaves Big Love, Gypsy, Everywhere, Sara, Sisters of the Moon, I'm So Afraid… amazing how much of the set isn't Rumours and yet they never shut up about it or stop shilling it.
(btw, I'm for cutting many of the above mentioned songs too!!)
Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
For me, they don't even need to concentrate on the present, if they'd just concentrate on something OTHER than Rumours, I'd be ecstatic!!
Less Rumours would be a good thing.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Creative growth" in reference to Fleetwood Mac is long dead.

Which ALWAYS puzzles me. Stevie fans have always had a major b*tch about the "official" release of songs whose demo versions have long been bootlegged. That's just insane IMO, there's not been one demo of hers that she's later released have I thought the demo was superior to the final released version. Not even CLOSE.

There's only one song (by ANY artist) that I've heard in my lifetime that the demo version was superior to the final released track, the Beach Boys' "Somewhere Near Japan". And, even in that case, it's a close call.

AMEN!

Can I get a "hallelujah"?

She'll be on the new album...maybe not as a songwriter, but her voice will be and she'll have numerous photos of her in the booklet, if not on the front or back cover.
You got that right!I was appalled when I read in Ken Caillat's book that when he told Stevie that his dog Scooter died,she said she was glad it happened because the dog took up an album cover that she should've been on (Tusk).Isn't she supposed to be an animal activist/animal lover?I don't know about that girl sometimes.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

""Drama"" aside, I think Lindsey has come to be very inspired this time around. Some quotes of his indicated he's aware many up and coming bands have been nicking the sounds of Mirage and Tango lately (which I took as a hint that he may try to revisit or modernize them for the band - which would be brilliant).

Add that to his working with Empire of the Sun and his genuine excitement and inspiration working with Chris again, this could mean great things creatively.

I think, if anything, Stevie needs to open herself up creatively. I think Lindsey is capable of making her sound inspired and relevant again (at least in some fashion). Dave has nothing interesting or creative to offer her though she insists on working with him.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie fans have always had a major b*tch about the "official" release of songs whose demo versions have long been bootlegged.
Not all of Stevie's fans! 9 times out of 10, I prefer the officially released versions.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Lee
Where did you hear this? Was this some one close to the band or just an anonymous random quote? Stevie has too much ego not to be part of the album.

I can't see them ever making a Lindsey/Christine album sans Stevie. No one really knows what is going on. It's all speculation and rumours on our part.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
That would be great - THE NO RUMOURS TOUR or NO MORE RUMOURS TOUR.
It would free them up to create a set list of rarely performed or never performed before; old songs yet a fresh perspective, taking stock of their lesser known songs. If they did something like this, it would get a huge amount of attention and the world press would go wild.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-09-2014 at 09:13 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 05:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

At this point I agree with lots of others posts. Rumours needs to just fall into place within the catalogue and not be a reference point to the Big Bang of amazement. I think lindsey is changing his assemblage point on his creative spark uniting the band toward there last work that stands the test of time. He wants the legacy of their best artist within to shine through. Like here it is I know you best and this is what you have become. Still it requires Trust and allowing to be receptive and molded. With chris it was easy with other artists it was easy. Working with other artists and younger too brought some needed perspective. Lindsey does bring forward the best of Stevie and in the context of fleetwood Mac representing the efforts of buckingham nicks he will always have a need to provide that for her, it's like part of his husbandness toward her. It all goes back to can stevie let the walls fall down and let him lead her? Often she is knowing best and wanting to prove herself. And on Lindsey's end he does listen to her points and if they evolve the process he uses it to feed the creative energy. Still it comes down to she needs to let him provide. If that happens then there would be less sexual tension as well. There is a need. Dave was also needed he broke down some of those barriers of she knows best. Now if she can just forgive herself for letting Lindsey go and not making the creative process a personal attack then all will be well. They should start by sitting down at the piano and letting themselves create some kind of melody together. Strive to let stevie create some fabric of sound and then let lindsey see that forward. Also Steive needs to be told and probably by lindsey this is your range now you have to move emotion through it. It's what you always had translating emotional content. Her voice is distinct and was once varied now it has strength to carry wisdom of emotion. I think twisted will be a good review of what I have assessed. New version might sound good production wise and more modern but the feeling I get when I listen to those words, that s it. Stevie will see that what she said about her own words needing to come back to her and she feels it. Lindsey has and always will do that easily and effortlessly. It's called love. If she pushes him away he doesn't create with it.