The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

What about her song "Desert Angel" - that was for the soldiers during Desert Storm, quite a few years ago.

We can't know everything that Stevie does or has done for other people.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly
OK, if she doesn't want to talk about her opinion of the war, she shouldn't, of course. I love Stevie a lot, but this sounds all wierd to me... why is she doing this? They have psychiatrists etc for people suffering from shock and trauma, what is Stevie Nicks doing going in there all childlike and innocent and mysterious.. and writing in her journal about them and telling the media about it??? I find it strange? Is it just me?
Why is she doing this?? I don't know about you but if were an injured soldier returning from the war in Iraq I would MUCH rather have a visit by Stevie Nicks than a random psychiatrist. I'm sure they have plenty of those on hand anyway. I'm really shocked at your take on it because I truly believe in the healing power of music and especially when you have a kindred soul such as Stevie whom I'm sure many of these people admire. The fact that someone with all her fame, success, and money has taken time out to visit them and spend quality time listening to their stories is very honorable IMO. If I were down, depressed, and physically in bad shape a visit from Stevie Nicks would sure as heck lift my spirits!

I could care less on her opinion of the war to be honest. She is not obligated in any way to share that with us. What she is doing by visiting the soldiers is of such importance and great honor and a true gift to them IMO and that is much more important than her political opinions are to me.

Last edited by SapphireSister; 03-15-2006 at 08:29 PM..
Old 03-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
My opinion is that Stevie has made this clear in interviews. Lindsey also. A perfect example is in M.F.'s book (assuming he was being honest, which John McVie just supported): Lindsey and a friend used to take turns bouncing checks at a local Denny's-type restaurant, because they literally had no money for food, despite the fact that Stevie was working as a waitress/cleaning lady etc. Granted that there were certain other . . . expenses, but still, it seems like that would not be true if they were sending her tremendous "Daddy's rich princess" kinda funds. I honestly don't think her parents completely supported this before they got their big break.
Don't forget, "Shacking up" with a guy you weren't married to was viewed MUCH differently back then, and she left college to do this.

The amount "$3500" is somehow popping into my mind - I'm not sure how accurate that is, or how it would translate into today's dollars. If rent was, say, a hundred bucks a month, that would go pretty quickly, especially after Lindsey and his friends got done with it. (There's some interview where Stevie says that when she was working as a waitress, she would come home and Lindsey would be practically passed out on the floor, high on opiated hashish, and he would complain that there was no money. And Stevie told him, "Well, that's cause you're spending all our MONEY on DRUGS, and sitting there HIGH on the FLOOR all day!)" I THINK that may be in Mick's book as well but I'm not sure of that.

Anyway, whatever the immediate cause, they weren't sending her millions - just enough to get by, + maybe a little extra, which Lindsey basically mis-spent on drugs. Or at least, that's been claimed, by Mick, Stevie, and I believe Lindsey also.

Oh boy. I would love to know where Stevie ever claimed that Lindsey spent all of Jess's money on drugs. (and Mick would have no damn idea, since he wasnt around then) Or even ANY of the money Jess may have given them to help keep them afloat. Stevie actually has said that Jess offered to support them BOTH after her six month dead line...so obviously Jess had respect for Lindsey. Perhaps he knew something about the man that you do not?

Oh and Stevie has always done for others, given to charity, held benefit concerts. That did not just start with her "we years" or whatever it was you claimed. She wrote BC in what, 1976 and all proceeds went to charity? Sounds very selfish.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Didn't she also contribute something to the Katrina victims and the Katrina animals?

And she was promoting One

She donated and designed a guitar for Big Brothers and Sisters.

Plain and simple: she's awesome and has a big heart.

Last edited by StevieRox2; 03-15-2006 at 01:59 PM..
Old 03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireSister
I could care less on her opinion of the war to be honest. She is not obligated in any way to share that with us. What she is doing is by visiting the soldiers is of such importance and great honor and a true gift to them IMO and that is much more important than her political opinions to me.
THANK YOU! Very nicely put and my words precisely.
Bless her for taking time to visit these soldiers.
THAT is what is important.

"Lucky in love... Unlucky in opening cereal boxes... -- Lisa Douglas, re: Olivah
Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Yeah, literally! Have you heard my FM band?
NO..TELL ME MORE!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Why wouldn't I? Do you think no one was alive back then or followed the news? Granted she MAY have between, say, 1961 and 1975 but - c'mon, now. Everyone knows she didn't, it's "common knowledge." Those were her "me years." Now she's trying to do something to "balance the equation out" - these are her "we years."
For the love of all that is good in this world......do I think no one was alive back then? Or followed the news? Does this make any sense? Was Stevie's life from 1961 to 1975 common knowledge? Your original post on the Vietnam topic "Here's a complete list of all the things Stevie did in order to try to help out soldiers returning home from the Vietnam War, or to protest against the war, from 1965 to 1980" I simply corrected your timeline. I also asked how you know what she did from 1961 to 1975, since she wasn't a celebrity then. Common knowledge? Maybe to the people who think they live in her head.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn't Battle of the Dragon her homage to the soldiers of the Vietnam War?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

That song is sooooooooooo beautiful, one of my favorites!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIUD
Vietnam? I thought all this time she was talking about the Napoleonic occupation of Austria ...

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIUD
it was a homage to her drugs actually
Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm not denying she has a big heart. I just find it strange, that's all. Soldiers kill people, don't they? That's their job. Soldiers are essentially people who are paid to kill other people for their country? Aren't they? Or do you think all these soldiers Stevie met were delivering teddy bears to orphanages when they got wounded?

I feel bad for them. I feel bad for anyone who had witnessed war and is in pain. But are these not men and woman who have picked up guns and invaded another country?

Stevie is clearly a very empathetic, caring person. That's great. I just wonder why she has adopted this cause.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

David!
And Melly, I agree with you fully as well.

Sasja

Old 03-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly
I'm not denying she has a big heart. I just find it strange, that's all. Soldiers kill people, don't they? That's their job. Soldiers are essentially people who are paid to kill other people for their country? Aren't they? Or do you think all these soldiers Stevie met were delivering teddy bears to orphanages when they got wounded?

I feel bad for them. I feel bad for anyone who had witnessed war and is in pain. But are these not men and woman who have picked up guns and invaded another country?

Stevie is clearly a very empathetic, caring person. That's great. I just wonder why she has adopted this cause.

I like your direct description of soldiers..people paid to kill other people. However, not all soldiers are killing. For every soldier carrying a gun at the "front", there are 10 behind the scenes in support functions...stretching all the way back to the US. Most "soldiers" just have a regular job like driving a truck or a cook. Anyway, I get your point.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Vietnam? I thought all this time she was talking about the Napoleonic occupation of Austria ...

I guess this once she decided to talk about something else. She's so cute with her Napoleon obsession....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -