User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Matt's Fleetwood Mac Album Reviews

Fleetwood Mac Album Reviews

1. Greatest Hits: After 13 years and six albums, it seemed the perfect time for the new "Fleetwood Mac" to release their first greatest hits package and for the most part it is well worth a listen. Having established themselves as a blues band in the late 60's early 70's they had yet to establish themselves in the United States until they released the more pop oriented "Fleetwood Mac" in 1975 which introduced Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham to the group of which also consisted of John Mcvie, Christine Mcvie and Mick Fleetwood. Since then they have gone through allot including a 5 year hiatus between albums before staging a massive comeback with 1987's "Tango In The Night". However Lindsey Buckingham was only persuaded to make the album, but left the group after doing so and was replaced by fellow guitar players, Rick Vito and Billy Burnette. They can be heard on two new cuts on the hits album a Christine Mcvie song called "As Long As You Follow" as well as a Stevie Nicks song called " No Questions Asked" both of which are good additions to the Mac repertoire. Overall the album is good with hits ranging from "Rhiannon" to "Hold Me", however one of my favourites “Seven Wonders” is missing from the collection as are the b - side rarity “Silver Springs” and “Gold Dust Woman”. However that doesn't mean that this album is in anyway bad. Best song on the album: Sara Review: **** out of five

2. Rumours: With the release of “Rumours” the second album released from the new and more popular "Fleetwood Mac" it was clear that the band had grown and matured since we last had heard them. While the album was made during a troubling time in the lives of many of the band's members, (Relationships were ending) the album never suffers as a result. Every song is masterful in their own way. Stevie has allot to offer ranging from the rockin "Gold Dust Woman" to the more pop sounding "Dreams". Christine Mcvie is at her best with pop flavoured hits such as "You Make Loving Fun”, but she reaches her peak with the wonderful ballad "Songbird" played with only a piano and her wonderful voice. The band is in full force during "The Chain" one of the best songs on the album and a killer when heard live. Sure the production is basically more of the same from the last album but the production is slicker and grittier. It won the 1977 Album of the year at the Grammy Awards and it was well deserved. Best Song On The Album: Songbird
Review: ***** out of five

3. The Dance: When the original band broke up with departure of Lindsey in 1987 and Stevie in 1993 it was clear that the band's days were numbered with two key factors in their successes gone. The last Mac Album, 1995’s "Time" crashed and burned with no one noticing so when the band announced plans for a reunion concert special (Marking the 20th anniversary of their groundbreaking album “Rumours”) and plans for a live album / tour to follow it was speculated that a full fledged reunion was in store. That hasn't exactly happened. (Christine has chosen not to participate in a new album) This live album begins with a great version of their hit "The Chain" which still sounds good even after 20 years. Then it is on to a series of Fleetwood Mac hits ranging from "Dreams" , "Everywhere" (A vast improvement on the original version) Big Love (Another improvement over the original) and "Say You Love Me". Along the way the band treats us to some great new material ranging form Lindsey's Rock and Roll sounding "My Little Demon" and a great new song from Stevie called "Sweet Girl". Christine also submits a great new song called "Temoorary One". The Usc Marching band who recorded "Tusk" the title track from the 1979 album returns to assist in performing that song as well as a rousing new version of "Don't Stop" which ironically was used as Bill Clintons Campaign Song. Other Great stuff includes Stevies Paino /Rock Version of "Rhiannon wich is a classic song. The standout on the album is the crowd pleasing hit that never made it on the classic "Rumours" album, a love song called "Silver Springs", which brought the house down at the taping and is still my all time favourite Mac Track. A landmark Fleetwood Mac album that proves their 70's success was very richly deserved.
Best Song On The Album: Silver Springs
Review: ***** out of five

4. Fleetwood Mac: When a new line-up was announced for the UK band Fleetwood Mac it was unclear whether the new line-up would be able to finally parlay their Success overseas in The United States. They did finally find success with the top 10 hit "Rhiannon" as well as hits ranging from Christine Mcvie's "Over My Head" to a cover of Lindsey and Stevie's "Crystal" from their 1973 album "Buckingham Nicks" which did so poorly their record company dropped them. Other hits like "Landslide" and "Say You Love Me" are also featured on this album, which marks a turning point for the band who had no idea just how big they would become in a little over a year.
Best Song On The Album: Rhiannon Review : **** out of five

5. Tango In The Night: With the release of "Tango In The Night" in the summer of 1987, it marked a stellar return for the band that hadn't released anything since 1982's "Mirage". While Lindsey Buckingham did not tour with the band he did sing and produce the record with long-time Mac collaborator Richard Dashut and they have done a good job for the most part. “Big Love” and “Everywhere” are the only real misfires (Better heard live on "The Dance") The tracks are all over the map with a great Mac song called "Seven Wonders" and another good one called "Little Lies". Stevie succeeds with "Welcome To The Room... Sara" a song with profound lyrics and great rhythm. Lindsey even gets his trademark Guitar solos with the albums title track. Unfortunately it was to be his last album with the band before returning ten years later for the reunion album / tour.
Best Song On The Album: Seven Wonders
Review: **** out of five

6. Mirage: After the band explored new musical styles and met with mixed results on their last album 1979's "Tusk" (Not counting the 1980 live album they made) they went back to the drawing board and they have come up with an offering that should please most Fleetwood Mac fans but more discriminating listeners may find this offering too safe. The band tries many different musical styles and comes up with only one really good tune, the intriguing "Gypsy" which seemed tailor made for Stevie's raspy voice. Other songs do impress like the lead single "Hold Me” with Lindsey and the band seemingly having a good time on the song, which has no conviction but is a fun tune just the same. Other standouts include "That's Allright" and "Can't Go Back" The problem for me is that some of the songs are just average. Most of the album just doesn't have any depth or conviction in the musical numbers. The songs, which range from the slow love song "Oh Diane" to the disappointing "Eyes of The World" just, do not play well to any kind of audience. The album is a good one , but don't expect anything in the vein of "Rumours" or even "Tango In The Night"
Best Song On The Album: Gypsy

7. Tusk: With the bar set so high for Fleetwood Mac after the enormous success of their last studio album "Rumours" it was surprising just how different a direction they took musically. It has long been known that most people treated this album as a mediocre album however die hard fans and even non fans found this harder edged rock in roll album quite good. "Tusk" was the idea of guitar player / singer Lindsey Buckingham who wanted to make an album on a smaller budget and the result is a 2 record set with a varying degree of songs. "Tusk", the albums title track recorded with the USC Marching Band is a great rock tune while the ballads "Storms" and "Sara" are magical songs that prove just how much of an enchanting voice Stevie Nicks has. Christine Mcvie fares best with "Brown Eyes" and "Never Forget" while Buckingham does a good job with the hit single "The Ledge". Overall the album is good, but since allot of the material is radically different then the usual it makes it a tough sell.
Best Song On The Album: Sara Review: *** out of five

8. Behind The Mask: With the absence of key writer Lindsey Buckingham it was assumed that prolific writers Christine Mcvie and Stevie Nicks would pick up the slack, but they did not. Unwisely choosing to allow the new recruits to write songs for the bands first studio album of new material (Not counting the 1988 "Greatest Hits Album which had the two new singles "As Long As You Follow" and "No Questions Asked" included) proved to be a mistake. The album went gold but was the first Mac album not to be certified Double Platinum which was a shame since what songs made the cut are all pretty good. What works is the fact that even though it was 1990 the band still manages to come up with some good material ranging from the top 10 lead single "Skies The Limit" to the Stevie Nicks tune "Affairs of The Heart". "Love Is Dangerous" a duet between Nicks and fellow band member Rick Vito is a good little rock song with a good use of guitars and drums. One disapointment is that none of Stevie's contributions to the album were relased as singles even though "Affairs of The Heart" and "The Second Time" are both solid efforts A solid effort from the group even without Lindsey Buckingham. Best Song On The Album: Skies The Limit
Review: **** out of five
Old 07-21-2002, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart TUSK!

*** out of five!!!

OMG! Tusk is greatness!! I must say that Tusk is "wierd" at first listen because it's not the usual Fleetwood Mac "fare", but I've given it countless spins and it's steadily taking over as my favorite FM album...which is right now a tie between Tango in the Night and Rumours. I've been listening to it lately with a new ear to the "wierd" songs, like The Ledge, Save Me a Place and Not That Funny because Lindsey forces me to listen to him INTENTLY! BTW, it WAS the last Lindsey/Stevie era album I bought BECAUSE I read so many "bad" things about it. All I'm sayin is give it another chance, it will grow on ya.....ask Audra (Greta).

BTW....Welcome to the Ledge!! Enjoy posting!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 07-21-2002 at 09:37 PM..
Old 07-21-2002, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Hmmm....

I don't think The Ledge was a single..I just checked The Penguin Singles Discography and it's not listed, maybe Matt just likes the song alot! It's a fun song, once you get over it's quirkyness!!
Old 07-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

I admit I made a mistake. I meant to say that The Ledge is a good song and that it could have been a hit single. Sorry for the goof up.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Ledgie

Now lindsey did do some of his songs on Tusk at home but by no means was this album done on a 'smaller budget'.In fact there was plenty of publicity about this Lp being the first to cost over a million dollars.I think the grand total was 1.2 million ,a huge amount for an Lp in 1979.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Matt's Fleetwood Mac Album Reviews

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicks Fan
she reaches her peak with the wonderful ballad "Songbird" played with only a piano and her wonderful voice
I seem to her a guitar there... am I wrong?

Then again, it is my favorite song on the album, and one of my faves ever.

And those are great reviews.

Song of the moment - Outside The Rain
Old 07-23-2002, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Besides disagreeing in general to ALL the reviews, I have specific points to rebut....

Quote:
NicksFan: they had yet to establish themselves in the United States until they released the more pop oriented "Fleetwood Mac" in 1975
They emigrated to the US in early 1974, renegotiated their contract with the record company, filed litigation in a California District Court, recorded an album, "Heroes Are Hard To Find", and toured extensively for the second half of 1974...if that wasn't "establishing themselves", then you'll have to DEFINE...or should I say, REdefine the word "establish". Bob Welch was the first American to join Fleetwood Mac, in 1971, so, please, explain to me how you get that Fleetwood Mac was a UK band until 1975?

Quote:
NicksFan: When the original band broke up with departure of Lindsey in 1987 and Stevie in 1993...

Nothing irks me more than inaccuracies like this...ESPECIALLY when it's been pointed out that there were prior incarnations within the same post!

And I don't give a rat's a** if you think I'm overly picky or not, but A) the "original band" broke up when Peter Green left in 1970. FACT, indisputable; and 2) Stevie left in 1990, not 1993

Quote:
NicksFan: "Time" crashed and burned with no one noticing ...
"No one"??? I recall some SERIOUS (and in some cases, downright HOSTILE) discussion here on the ORIGINAL Ledges, the FM newsgroups, other message boards around "webland", regarding the "Time" album, it's merits, it's downsides, and some of the reasons (non-musical related) for it's lack of sales. Furthermore, it DID sell around 20-25,000 copies; plus, there were close to 30-35,000 people at the concert I was at in October 1994 and they, for the most part, seemed to be enjoying the show quite a bit, from what I recall. And, let's not forget that Lindsey's MASTERwerk "Out Of The Cradle" was considered a "bomb"; Stevie's "Street Angel", too.

Quote:
NicksFan: ..however one of my favourites “Seven Wonders” is missing from the collection...
Then buy the UK version...it has "Seven Wonders" on it.

Last edited by chiliD; 07-23-2002 at 02:52 AM..
Old 07-23-2002, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
2) Stevie left in 1990, not 1993
Stevie may have unofficially left Fleetwood Mac in 1990, but she did not officially say she would no longer be a member of Fleetwood Mac until 1993 after they sang Don't Stop for Bill Clinton. She saw that Lindsey still didn't want to be a part of the band, and she figured that she came in to Fleetwood Mac with him, and it was too sad to be in it without him (at least that's what I've read). It really wasn't until 1993 that Stevie stated she was going to be a solo act only. Not that it matters, because 4 years later they got back together, as everyone knows.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Unofficially"?? She made the joint press conference announcement with Chris, halfway through the "Behind The Mask" tour in 1990 that they BOTH were leaving the band as of the end of the tour. If that's not "official", what IS?

Well, actually Chris said that she was quitting touring, but that she'd still be open to recording with the band; but, Stevie announced that she was quitting outright.
1990...not 1993.

I know, I know...the Vh-1 BTM, she said that it wasn't until after the inauguration that she didn't want to be involved with Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey...but, that is in direct discrepancy with her 1990 "big" announcement. Hasn't anyone else noticed that Stevie changes her story interview to interview??
Old 07-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
[...] Stevie announced that she was quitting outright.
1990...not 1993.

I know, I know...the Vh-1 BTM, she said that it wasn't until after the inauguration that she didn't want to be involved with Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey...but, that is in direct discrepancy with her 1990 "big" announcement. Hasn't anyone else noticed that Stevie changes her story interview to interview??
It´s true what Chili said. I remember Rick Vito announcing Stevie´s departure in the middle of their set when I saw one of their Behind The Mask shows in Essen/Germany in 1990. Catcalls were the response.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face

Let me clarify some things here.

1) I am going by the Behind The Music story of how after the Bill Clinton Concert she left the band.

2). They may have had Americans's in the band and also have recorded an album in the us. But name any top 40 singles off the album. As I recall the band at that time had only TWO songs in the Billboard Charts. Albatrosswhich peaked at 104 and Oh Well which peaked at 55. It was not untill they released 1975's Fleetwood Mac that any songs made into the top 20. If you watch the Stevie Nicks Speak Easy they make light of the fact that over night the sucess of the band changed drasticly.

3) When I say original I meant the original line up from 1975 on. I admit that I should have been more specific.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1) I've found that VH-1's "Behind The Music"s are FILLED with inaccuracies...not just with Fleetwood Mac, but generally across the board.

Let's recall the circumstances surrounding the Clinton inaugural:

The Rumours lineup got back together for a one-time, one-SONG performance (which is the ONLY reason Lindsey agreed to do it). Stevie had already quit, Lindsey was long out of the band, Christine relented for one more performance, ONLY because it was HER song they were to play (Fleetwood Mac had just played the Super Bowl Pre-Game show less than a week earlier with the lineup of Mick, John, Billy, Rick & Christine)...and they carried on with a handful of private corporate party gigs as a four-piece of just the guys...Mick, John, Billy & Rick...they recorded and filmed a video for Chris' "Love Shines" with the four piece lineup of Mick, John, Billy & Chris...so, this was a "revolving door" of personnel with a quick turnaround time for the band.

2) the single "Heroes Are Hard To Find" CHARTED, but didn't crack the top 40 (obviously)...that still doesn't mean they didn't "ESTABLISH" themselves in the US...they'd done numerous live radio & TV performances, as well...there was a big "push" when the "HAHTF" album was released. (I've posted already in a previous thread somewhere on the Ledges regarding this)...Fleetwood Mac was KNOWN in the US despite the lack of AM radio airplay...they were an FM radio staple from the beginning of the band onwards. Just because the went to MEGA stardom post-1975 has no bearing on when & how they "ESTABLISHED" themselves in the US. Another case in point...how many TOP 40 singles have the Grateful Dead had? Are they a non-entity because they didn't HAVE one until about 25 years after they started? So, using your logic, the Grass Roots are more "viable" because they had a string of top 40 hits and the Grateful Dead DIDN'T?? Same thing with Led Zeppelin...how many "hit singles" did they have?? ZERO! That's how many. They're obviously unestablished since they didn't have a "hit", right?

3) "Original Fleetwood Mac" in ANY form is, and always WILL be, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Jeremy Spencer & Peter Green. Any OTHER use of the term "original" in respect to Fleetwood Mac is inaccurate.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Ledgie

chiliD is correct about Stevie's 1990 departure date Nicksfan ,I was at the Forum in Englewood on the last nigt of the BTM tour at the end of 1990 and the show was billed as her 'swan song' with the band.It was also the most lackluster performance i have ever seen her give and I have seen her perform quite a few times .She only pepped up a bit when Lindsey came out to do Lanslide and GYOW.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:04 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, **warning, cliche alert** my bad. I never heard about that announcement during the tour. Ya learn something new every day, thanks chiliD.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

what about dany Kirwan he was an original member.

He Will Burn You Down