Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Cool Stevie - gay icon??

hi everyone!
me and my mate are HUGE fans of FM but particularly Stevie, and we have always wondered why Stevie isn't really recognised as a gay icon! As far as we can see, she holds all the qualities of a gay icon: fame, glamour, tragedy (drug addictions, failed relationships etc.), unique voice and style, and mysterious. If Marilyn Monroe and Madonna are, then why the hell isn't Stevie?!
Old 04-23-2002, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Stevie - gay icon??

Quote:
Originally posted by goldustboi
hi everyone!
me and my mate are HUGE fans of FM but particularly Stevie, and we have always wondered why Stevie isn't really recognised as a gay icon! As far as we can see, she holds all the qualities of a gay icon: fame, glamour, tragedy (drug addictions, failed relationships etc.), unique voice and style, and mysterious. If Marilyn Monroe and Madonna are, then why the hell isn't Stevie?!
hi there! welcome to the ledge!!!

now, i always thought she was. yes, she's not out there like madonna, marilyn, donna summers, diana ross and many others, but i always hear about her and her gay fans. pretty cool to me! oh and i'm going to the night of a thousand stevies on may 10th and i dl the clip from the party from last year and i saw pics of ppl who attended. and let me tell you, she has a pretty big gay following!

mimi
Old 04-23-2002, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well,i am not even gay and it is pretty plain to see that she is a gay icon of sorts..maybe not an obvious one to ppl who don't follow her music..but she is one for sure..she has even awknowledged this..i forget where..but she definitly did...

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 04-27-2002, 08:09 AM
Senior Ledgie

cool, thanx for that, it clears it up a bit! when people ask me who my icon is i say Stevie, and more often than not they reply with "who's he?"(much to my horror). glad to know that there's others who see Stevie the way I do!
Old 04-27-2002, 03:03 PM
Junior Ledgie

Wink LOL

Dontcha just love the "who's he?" response!

Even better is the "who's she?" reponse to Lindsey!

Laura
Old 04-28-2002, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Stevie is very much a gay icon. It seems to me most of her male fans are gay... but maybe that's taking it a bit far. I think she's a hit with gay men because she is flamboyant, strong, and intriguing.

I know that gay clubs here in Charlotte are very stevie friendly... they still play Planets of the Universe... and I even saw a drag show to Edge of Seventeen last weekend . Most gay men also seem to at least know who Stevie is... which is kinda cool . I'm so proud of all my friends... they know all the words to Planets even .

We actually did a poll on this a while back... perhaps it's time for another? Maybe one that is more detailed than just gay/straight this time around. It would be interesting to see the actual breakdown of Stevie fans... for instance- gay/lesbian/straight male/straight female... etc. Being gay myself I always find these things interesting... just an idea though! -Louie
Old 04-28-2002, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Stevie Icon ??

HI GolddustBoi Welcome to the Ledge.I would say as a Gay
Woman myself.Stevie Nicks has fans that are young and old,
Gay and straight and all ethnic groups.She has a very diverse
group of fans.I have been a Fleetwood Mac Fan for a long time.
I am very glad I found fans and web sites to share my Love
of Stevie, Lindsey's and the band's music with.I think its great that Stevie Nicks has such a diverse group of fans.Take care Everyone.

Don't Gain the World.But Lose Your Soul.

Live Long and Party On Dudes.

Its important to remember that nobody falls
into a simple sertof labels.

Remember that having dreams is what makes
Life tolerable.

Your never get away from the sound of
the Woman that loves you.

Life is what happens when your busy
making other plans.

You don't take nothing with you
but your Soul.

Being Human is a complicated Gig.

Old 04-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Junior Ledgie

I don't recall the publication or when exactly...but I think sometime last year the nicksfix had it posted that Stevie was highlighted in a gay magazine and as gay icon...if i find it somewhere, i'll report, but i know it happened!

*Jess
...We all grow up and the veils come down
But the children go on"

-Stevie Nicks
Old 04-28-2002, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I just think...

that all types of people are Stevie fans...I'm a straight guy who finds Stevie very SEXY and mysterious, But mysterious in a GOOD way. I have a friend who said that Stevie had a big gay following and if that would bother me, IT DOESNT...Hell, When I saw her in Dallas last year I talked to alot of people from all backgrounds who are fans...And out of all the concerts I ever attended, These fans were the most friendly of all...And I see nothing wrong with Stevie being an ICON to anyone...But it does annoy me when non-fans say "Stevie who? Never heard of him"...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default COUGH COUGH COUGH

NO NO NO NO NO. Most of stevie's male fans are not gay. I find that extremely offensive. Just because someone has a few gay fans doesn't make them a gay icon. If someone really likes eminem, and that person is gay, does that make eminem a gay icon. NO, he publicly bashes gays. Now stevie certainly doesn't do that, but she isn't a gay icon. She is totally straight as am i, and everyone i know who is a stevie fan. I think maybe 6% of her fans are gay. The other 94% are straight. I'm not saying anything negative about yo gay people here on this board (even though i don't approve of homosexuality) but stevie is no gay icon.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Re: COUGH COUGH COUGH

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
NO NO NO NO NO. Most of stevie's male fans are not gay. I find that extremely offensive. Just because someone has a few gay fans doesn't make them a gay icon. If someone really likes eminem, and that person is gay, does that make eminem a gay icon. NO, he publicly bashes gays. Now stevie certainly doesn't do that, but she isn't a gay icon. She is totally straight as am i, and everyone i know who is a stevie fan. I think maybe 6% of her fans are gay. The other 94% are straight. I'm not saying anything negative about yo gay people here on this board (even though i don't approve of homosexuality) but stevie is no gay icon.
No, i think by saying she's a gay icon is that a lot of gay people are intrigued and follow her career...not all gay people and not all her fans are gay...obviously we know she has tons of straight fans...but i'm gonna tell you, from my experience anyone i've ever met who was quite into stevie, have been straight girls, and gay men...not to say that this is a reflection of all fans, and i by no means figure any guy or girl who loves stevie is automatically gay, but it happens...

Hawkeye don't freak out by it...but icons like Cher, Madonna, Marilyn, and Stevie are highly loved in the gay community...

I hope this makes sense, and I'm not offending anyone!

*Jess
...We all grow up and the veils come down
But the children go on"

-Stevie Nicks
Old 04-29-2002, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Let's not forget Stevie's (and Lindsey's) contributions to that Homosexual League CD or something from a few years back. It had 'Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind' and a Stevie song I forget.

So....they care, anyway! I always thought it was special of Lindsey to make the maneouvre.

Hahahaha... the coincidence of both of BN having androgenous names is so crazy - and SO ANNOYING, agreed!
Old 04-29-2002, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie.....NOT a gay icon???? Since when???!!!????
She does have quite a large gay/lesbian fan base........
She also acknowledges this fact.

Well, I don't care........I'm a straight female and I love her!!!!!!

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 04-29-2002, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Gay icon?

Yes, I do believe Stevie is a gay icon. Maybe not to the extent that Madonna is, but then again Stevie never really catered to or "spoke out" in favor of any one group, at least not in the sexual way that Madonna has. Stevie's attraction for gay people is her flamboyancy in the way she dresses(the platform boots, capes, shawls, top hats and berets) and the "tragedy" not only in her songs but also in her personal life. Surely most of you have heard about Night Of A Thousand Stevies...an annual event that takes place in NYC where fans come dressed up like Stevie and perform(drag show). The whole night is dedicated to Stevie and her music.

On the other hand I think Stevie appeals to the heterosexual community just as strongly. Her songs are songs about love mainly between her and the men in her life. Lindsey and Stevie being one of the biggest rock romances ever, centered in a band with other couples and relationships.

Stevie just does her thing and the beauty is, is that EVERYONE "gets it"!

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 04-29-2002 at 06:42 PM..
Old 04-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

that's what i love about stevie. she is so unpolitical. That's what i don't like about people like John Lennon and U2 Way too political and they're activists. Stevie is just her music. She doesn't even write about things that are going on in the world( except on rare occasions.)

He Will Burn You Down
Closed Thread