Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000;836977[B
]Street Angel was the only of her albums to not have even make Gold.[/B] I believe the rest of Stevie's solo works are Platinum...
It's Gold. Certified in 1997. Although actual sales [last I saw] where no were near 500k.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
It's Gold. Certified in 1997. Although actual sales [last I saw] where no were near 500k.

Hasn't the RIAA lowered the standard for gold and platinum status?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
First politically. Probably "bridge" isn't the right term, because I don't think she actually linked them together in the traditional "glue" sense. I think she was more of a deflector, buffer, car bumper . . . They could both turn towards her, so they didn't have to crash into each other head on as often.
I think Christine's effect on how the other two interacted was at least as big on tour & onstage as it was in in the studio. From Tusk to Tango, anyway, I tend to believe Stevie wasn't around often enough for Christine's buffer function to have worked much. And the bits of things we have of studio work from the old days indicate to me that Chris & Lindsey (& Lindsey & Mick) were the sympatico pair, not Stevie & Lindsey. In old footage, I don't see Stevie & Lindsey coming together on any level (including the fan-favorite Angel footage): musical, personal, even logistical. I think he mostly ignored her, believing probably that she had very little to contribute to his particular concerns in a recording studio.

Quote:
Musically, just her presence there didn't facilitate the melding of Stevie and Lindsey's musical sound to me. Christine and Lindsey probably did more for each other's music.
All evidence supports this. In the Fleetwood Mac studio, Stevie was by accounts the little girl squirreling away in her fairy garden, with only occasional (& fruitless) attempts to command any attention. Chris & Lindsey, conversely, sound like co-writers & bandmates on a dozen or more tracks.

Quote:
Although Lindsey may think otherwise, I don't think Christine changed the sound of Stevie's music much.
To me, that's a little bit like putting the cart before the horse. Fleetwood Mac changed the sound of Stevie's music -- in drastic ways. You would never have heard a Dreams or a Gold Dust Woman or an Angel or a Gypsy treatment on any of Stevie's work with friends or session players. Fleetwood Mac's Appalachianisms (& its English blues) were the chocolate into which Stevie dipped her banana.

(I had to work that banana in there again somehow.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
To me, that's a little bit like putting the cart before the horse. Fleetwood Mac changed the sound of Stevie's music -- in drastic ways.
Lindsey's statement was:

Quote:
To some degree, Stevie, left to her own devices—not necessarily on her solo albums, but in the context of Fleetwood Mac—is, if not a more masculine presence, then certainly a more aggressive presence than when she’s tempered by what Christine would bring to her songs.
I don't know what to say to that except to point out that though he can certainly be aggressive, Lindsey has spent a lot of time tempering the aggression out of people's music himself.

I love his production and I'm tired of all of that angry version Smile At You talk and I do not agree with it, but . . . honestly. If he confronted me with such a comment, I would throw that in his face.

Michele
Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think Christine's effect on how the other two interacted was at least as big on tour & onstage as it was in in the studio. From Tusk to Tango, anyway, I tend to believe Stevie wasn't around often enough for Christine's buffer function to have worked much. And the bits of things we have of studio work from the old days indicate to me that Chris & Lindsey (& Lindsey & Mick) were the sympatico pair, not Stevie & Lindsey. In old footage, I don't see Stevie & Lindsey coming together on any level (including the fan-favorite Angel footage): musical, personal, even logistical. I think he mostly ignored her, believing probably that she had very little to contribute to his particular concerns in a recording studio.

All evidence supports this. In the Fleetwood Mac studio, Stevie was by accounts the little girl squirreling away in her fairy garden, with only occasional (& fruitless) attempts to command any attention. Chris & Lindsey, conversely, sound like co-writers & bandmates on a dozen or more tracks.

To me, that's a little bit like putting the cart before the horse. Fleetwood Mac changed the sound of Stevie's music -- in drastic ways. You would never have heard a Dreams or a Gold Dust Woman or an Angel or a Gypsy treatment on any of Stevie's work with friends or session players. Fleetwood Mac's Appalachianisms (& its English blues) were the chocolate into which Stevie dipped her banana.

(I had to work that banana in there again somehow.)
This is a fascinating discussion.

But, what about Buckingham Nicks? By all practical purposes, the two did collaborate on those songs. Unless you believe that Stevie had no say whatsoever and handed her songs to Lindsey and that was that. Also, I can hear the same sort of quality in Stevie's BN tracks that would later emerge as the new FM sound. In that regard, LB's fingerprints left an indelible mark on her songs that certainly would never be matched by any cohorts to come.

Also, I can see your point about Christine, but given LB's history with Stevie (and given Christine's music expertise), one could argue Stevie pulled more rank with Lindsey prior to their joining FM. Then, Christine's pedigree threw Stevie's personal credibility out the window. (No wonder Nicks was peeved at World Turning, her world had indeed turned.)
Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I could see Nigel Godrich, Jon Brion, Ethan Johns, Daniel Lanois producing.
But I hope they don't self-produce or Lindsey-produce.

Time for something new - a whole new sound.

Otherwise, I'm afraid - it'll just be more of the same.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It's all a matter of opinion Luke. To me Murrow was Lindsey's best track on the album. Having it as the second song greatly reminded me of his song The Ledge being the 2nd track on the Tusk album which was performed right after a slow, soothing Over & Over. It worked there and it works here as far as I'm concerned. Also I doubt any casual fans are interested in new music by Fleetwood Mac. They only want to hear the hits.
To me, the tracking of Tusk was horrendous. "Over & Over" was an atrocious opening tune, it really should've CLOSED one of the sides. It's almost as if you should play the songs in reverse order...kind of how the whole mixing sessions went. I can't recall if it was Ken or Richard, but one of them said that they had a great mix, then Lindsey had them to do exactly the opposite of what they'd done. I'm intrigued to hear what Ken & Richard's initial mixes were like...I'll bet they were more "commercial" sounding than what Tusk ended up being. And, probably would've gone over a whole lot better.

With Say You Will, it just seems like when they cut it down from a proposed 2 disc set, they just deleted out the unused songs and left the running order. The "WTWCT"/"Murrow" transition sounds like there should've been a Stevie song in between (and at one point there probably was). And, later in the album, there are three Stevie songs in a row...those sound like there might have been a Lindsey song in between somewhere.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow.a new cd,I remember from some of Stevie's interviews earlier this year say she wants to slow down for awhile ,backoff on touring any other things after this tour was over which i thought this tour was going to end after the first leg.personally I guess things change,I have no idea what she and FM are doing now ,but I hope they are taking a break to get some R&R. before going to europe in october.Yes If Christine records on the new cd, that will be awesome, I just want to hear her voice again with FM again.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I don't see a new Fleetwood Mac album happening unless, sadly, Buckingham wants to do another one.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I don't see a new Fleetwood Mac album happening unless, sadly, Buckingham wants to do another one.
I got the impression that he is the one that most wants to do a new album.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Ledgie

Speaking of new albums, whatever happened to the big re-release of Rumours to coincide with the tour???
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I got the impression that he is the one that most wants to do a new album.
He is the one that every night of the tour said "there's no new album - YET."
Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk! View Post
Speaking of new albums, whatever happened to the big re-release of Rumours to coincide with the tour???
The latest we hear is a September release. But believe it when you see it.

Photobucket
Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
The latest we hear is a September release. But believe it when you see it.

Photobucket
Indeed...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

Also, I can see your point about Christine, but given LB's history with Stevie (and given Christine's music expertise), one could argue Stevie pulled more rank with Lindsey prior to their joining FM. Then, Christine's pedigree threw Stevie's personal credibility out the window. (No wonder Nicks was peeved at World Turning, her world had indeed turned.)
Cycles. With Christine gone Stevie pulls more rank now. I bet Lindsey doesn't see it that way, but he had more leverage before Chris left.

Michele