Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Back in 87 it was weird, but they were in their 40,s and had an album to promote, Tango in the Night. I missed Lindsey, but I enjoyed the tours I saw with Billy and Rick. Especially after they did Behind the Mask.

Now, it's 2018 and they are in their 70,s. This was supposed to be the farewell tour. Chris is back. I can't imagine what happened that made Lindsey get fired or leave, but this is bad. I love Mike Campbell and Neil Finn, but this is no longer Fleetwood Mac.

When Lindsey Left in 87, he had been in the band for 12 years. Since 1997 when he returned, he's been a member for over 20 years. This time it feels different and not in a good way. I have been a devoted, faithful fan since 1975. But I think I will pass on this one. No new material, so it will be oldies but goodies once again and I guess some Crowded House material? Tom Petty tunes?

I think maybe this time they should have forgone the tour and if they want to stay together, go into the studio. My personal opinion is that is what drove Lindsey away. No new material.
According to a Variety update the reason was that Lindsey wants to focus on his solo work, while the rest of the band wants to tour.
Even if they had contractual obligations to abide (I suppose the tour was already partly settled legally and economically speaking) they could have handled it better without Lindsey being out from the band.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
According to a Variety update the reason was that Lindsey wants to focus on his solo work, while the rest of the band wants to tour.
Even if they had contractual obligations to abide (I suppose the tour was already partly settled legally and economically speaking) they could have handled it better without Lindsey being out from the band.
This tour has been put back and put back and put back some more already. I'm sure it was originally slated for 2017 but it was put back to late 2018 due to Stevie's plans. Would it have hurt to delay it a bit more? For the articles to say Lindsey wanted to focus on his solo work rather than a Fleetwood Mac tour skews things a bit. He's been open for some time about releasing a solo album early this year. Unfortunately he obviously hasn't been able to get it finished and released as early as he would have liked. I don't think he's said he wont do a FM tour- just sounds as if he asked for a short delay.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
This tour has been put back and put back and put back some more already. I'm sure it was originally slated for 2017 but it was put back to late 2018 due to Stevie's plans. Would it have hurt to delay it a bit more? For the articles to say Lindsey wanted to focus on his solo work rather than a Fleetwood Mac tour skews things a bit. He's been open for some time about releasing a solo album early this year. Unfortunately he obviously hasn't been able to get it finished and released as early as he would have liked. I don't think he's said he wont do a FM tour- just sounds as if he asked for a short delay.
Well, they just got off the road in 2015 after two back-to-back tours. I think a break was needed especially since it’s not like there was going to be any new material for this next one.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Well, they just got off the road in 2015 after two back-to-back tours. I think a break was needed especially since it’s not like there was going to be any new material for this next one.
Why on Earth does a band need more than two years off?????
The Beatles would have written, recorded and toured 4 albums in that time....and made a film.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Beatles would have written, recorded and toured 4 albums in that time....and made a film.
And that's why they're the most iconic band in the world. No one will ever be better than The Beatles. And I'm not even a Beatles fan.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]Why on Earth does a band need more than two years off?????
The Beatles would have written, recorded and toured 4 albums in that time....and made a film./QUOTE]
The Beatles broke up after just 10 years.
This was a decent article, but some facts were skewed, such as "Tusk" being a #1 single. It was a top 10 single, but didn't crack the top 5, let alone #1.
Regardless, I think they should simply disband. How can they do a "farewell tour" without Buckingham? I am not going to buy a ticket.
I'll wait until the next solo Stevie Nicks tour.
I know everyone is assuming it's Stevie and Mick's fault. But we really don't know for sure what happened. Oh, to be a fly on the wall!
This is, as I said in another thread, the end of an era without a finale.
It sux.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=TheWildHeart67;1222363]
Quote:
The Beatles would have written, recorded and toured 4 albums in that time....and made a film./QUOTE]
This was a decent article, but some facts were skewed, such as "Tusk" being a #1 single. It was a top 10 single, but didn't crack the top 5, let alone #1.
Regardless, I think they should simply disband. How can they do a "farewell tour" without Buckingham? I am not going to buy a ticket.
I know everyone is assuming it's Stevie and Mick's fault. But we really don't know for sure what happened. Oh, to be a fly on the wall!
It sux.
well, can anyone realistically imagine it is due to John or Chris??

Besides, the insider sources who've been quoted have said that Stevie decided she could not work with him anymore and gave the band an ultimatum -- it's me or him.

He could have given them some kind of ultimatum too, but all the other tidbits say it was disagreement related to music for the tour.

Would she have wanted to do Stand Back and he said nope no more solo songs? Like wtf?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It sux.
there were stories flying around for the last 2 months. everything that came out, whether leaking or in yesterday's statements, confirmed pieces of what we've been hearing.

they were negotiating the tour and how to do it, specifics, what we've been hearing goes. our 2 known explosive exes kept pushing each others' buttons. Lindsey was gonna tour solo in between Fleetwood Mac dates, the way Pretenders had some dates in between their shows with Stevie. they had entangled negotiations how, when, why, who like maybe how to advertise two tours. Lindsey was counting on Mac tour to help sort out his solo tour logistics. eventually after push and pull it ended up Mick and Stevie vs Lindsey. she told Mick - it's him or me. Mick washed his hands of any guilt and went to promoters to ask whether they'll make more money of Lindsey-less or Stevie'-less tour. case closed of course! there was no option of the whole 5 tour on the table. they should have worked it out. instead they threw Lindsey out and went with the money.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-11-2018, 04:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
It sux.
Great post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’d say they need more than two years off when they’re only doing cash grab hits tours back to back and no longer producing new things. If it were the opposite (as in 1975-1982) I would totally agree.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still sorting out my thoughts and feelings on this situation. My heart is barely beating. I posted somewhere on another thread it's as if the Mac brought me to the mountaintop with Christine's return, the tour, BuckVie album and tour.
Then just as I reached the summit I was flung off.

On a mental level tho this article best describes my thoughts. If FM is going to do something they're going to do it in the most FM way. What could be more FM than this latest development/sarc. I keep thinking about the movie Sid and Nancy. Nancy always talked about 'going out in a blaze of glory' but you know how that went. Unglorified!
Old 04-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I'm still sorting out my thoughts and feelings on this situation. My heart is barely beating. I posted somewhere on another thread it's as if the Mac brought me to the mountaintop with Christine's return, the tour, BuckVie album and tour.
Then just as I reached the summit I was flung off.

On a mental level tho this article best describes my thoughts. If FM is going to do something they're going to do it in the most FM way. What could be more FM than this latest development/sarc. I keep thinking about the movie Sid and Nancy. Nancy always talked about 'going out in a blaze of glory' but you know how that went. Unglorified!
Very well stated. All the bands craziness has the rest of us feeling rather crazy as well. Like what are we supposed to make of this yet on some level it's almost funny because as stated it is the Mac-iest darn move possible. Like I'm having a weird kind of laugh/cry response. I really just want a final album. Don't care one way or the other about the tour. I think they're all surprisingly at the top of their game just listening to recent work and combinations (and heck, I may be an odd one out but I really love SYW for that matter). So much potential to make incredible new music but nope, gotta get all wrapped up in typical Mac drama. I'm sad/mad and just have to laugh I guess. The article amused me deeply because it was written from the same kind of snarky/bummed place I seem to be stuck in.

It's just Fleetwood Mac being Fleetwood Mac. And somehow all of us diehard fans are sitting here loving them inspire of our frustration. Like they've pulled us all in with them.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell View Post
Very well stated. All the bands craziness has the rest of us feeling rather crazy as well. Like what are we supposed to make of this yet on some level it's almost funny because as stated it is the Mac-iest darn move possible. Like I'm having a weird kind of laugh/cry response. I really just want a final album. Don't care one way or the other about the tour. I think they're all surprisingly at the top of their game just listening to recent work and combinations (and heck, I may be an odd one out but I really love SYW for that matter). So much potential to make incredible new music but nope, gotta get all wrapped up in typical Mac drama. I'm sad/mad and just have to laugh I guess. The article amused me deeply because it was written from the same kind of snarky/bummed place I seem to be stuck in.

It's just Fleetwood Mac being Fleetwood Mac. And somehow all of us diehard fans are sitting here loving them inspire of our frustration. Like they've pulled us all in with them.
Weird laugh/cry response--pseudobulbar affect (pathological laughter and crying, no cure but can be treated with Nuedexta). I'm sure you've seen the commercials. Yep, that's me with this band.

My sig other has been coaching me since the weekend when I first read the rumors online about Lindsey. Here are a few of his talking points:
* Wasn't it great that Chris came back--you never thought it would happen!
* You went to so many shows (FM, BuckVie, Stevie)
* You'll always have BuckVie to listen to
* Lindsey will do a solo album/tour and you'll love it
* You still have Mick, John, Stevie and Chris--they didn't break up
* Mike and Neil are talented people---give it a try, you might be surprised even if it feels awkward at first--you love live music! Buy a cheap ticket and if you don't like it leave

Then he eases into the point he's really trying to make: "Look, you knew the chances of one final album with the Rumors 5 was slim and you already said you wouldn't go broke over the next tour. Wasn't Lindsey's album supposed to be out already? You knew something was off when the SiriusXm FM channel was delayed. I KNOW YOU'RE UPSET BUT LET'S JUST SEE HOW IT GOES....NOBODY DIED"
He's a good guy and has put up with a lot a Mac related crap over the years
Old 04-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE]well, can anyone realistically imagine it is due to John or Chris??

Besides, the insider sources who've been quoted have said that Stevie decided she could not work with him anymore and gave the band an ultimatum -- it's me or him.

He could have given them some kind of ultimatum too, but all the other tidbits say it was disagreement related to music for the tour.

Would she have wanted to do Stand Back and he said nope no more solo songs? Like wtf?/QUOTE]
Oh, for sure it's a fight between them both.
But we don't know how he treats her or how she treats him.
Lots of baggage and both have big egos.
I'm not siding with either of them.
But they should have done this after the tour or simply cancelled it.
It must have been a one hell of a blowout.