Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default North Tonawanda 11/27/18

So, I went to the LB show at the Royale Theatre in North Tonawanda. Here are some of my reactions.

The theatre is a lovely place--small, intimate, historic. I got a good vibe from it. I missed my meet-and-greet but heard that it was rather rushed. I was oddly okay with getting the wrong time and that didn't ruin the evening. Unfortunately, some of the people around us in the front rows were happy to talk during even the quietest moments of the show.

The opening act was incredible--J.S. Ondara, a Kenyan-born folk singer with a lovely voice. His songs were memorable and catchy. And his self-deprecating personality was charming.

When Lindsey took the stage, people went mad. I could see the audience very much wanted his solo tour to succeed. I was surprised at how strong his voice sounded on all of the live performances. I say "live" because, in the tradition of recent LB concerts, many of the tunes were played over a pre-taped backing track. We all knew he'd do this. Sometimes, it was subtle, other times embarrassingly obvious. What's so odd is that appears it wasn't necessary. Anytime Lindsey and the band played live, they sounded strong and inspired. And the acoustic set in the center of the show, where Lindsey played alone on the stage, was the best moment. (BTW: I had given up on "Never Going Back Again" years ago. But his performance of it at the Royale was so poignant and moving.)

The first several songs were catchy and engaging. I was also surprised at how good "Slow Dancing" sounded. Other highlights were "Tusk" and "I'm So Afraid" both of which sounded surprisingly fresh even though he's been doing both for years. "Down on Rodeo" was a treat. And "Treason" was an apt closer.

A few random notes: Lindsey's extensive barking at the end of "Holiday Road" (an otherwise embarrassing karaoke performance) was so odd and hilarious I wish he and his bandmates would continue barking for another few minutes. It could have become a sort of performance art! During "Soul Drifter" Lindsey made this hilarious gesture where he placed his hands on his face that I guess was supposed to communicate how affected he was by his own music but instead looked as campy as a drag queen miming rapture.

During GYOW, Lindsey really opened up and smiled a lot. He interacted warmly with the crowd and let whoever's hands could reach touch his guitar.

The band intros were a bit long but it's clear he cares about his teammates.

According to Lindsey, Brett Tuggle knows where the bodies are buried.

Fleetwood Mac was not mentioned once though several people from the audience yelled out hostile comments about the band.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh no! Sorry to hear that you didn't make it to your meet and greet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
According to Lindsey, Brett Tuggle knows where the bodies are buried.
I had been wondering whether that was the standard patter. I guess it is.

Quote:
Other highlights were "Tusk" and "I'm So Afraid" both of which sounded surprisingly fresh even though he's been doing both for years. "
Absolutely.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Oh no! Sorry to hear that you didn't make it to your meet and greet.

I had been wondering whether that was the standard patter. I guess it is.
the last few shows, yeah. it wasn't in Portland, Pittsburgh or DC.

the socks and starch thing has been around way longer and it's definitely due for retirement!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-28-2018, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/28/s...viera-theatre/

Sold-out crowd treated to best of Lindsey Buckingham at Riviera Theatre
By Nancy J. Parisi | Published 9:59 a.m. November 28, 2018 | Updated 11 hours ago

Magical picking, resonant vocals and deep gratitude were at the core of the sold-out Lindsey Buckingham concert Tuesday night at Riviera Theatre. As the season's first real snow accumulated along Webster Street, fans (apparently ardent and vocal super-fans all) were treated to the passion and heat of the masterful guitar artist – and band – at work.

Buckingham's intense set touched on all decades of his career including his time as a member of the successful Buckingham-Stevie Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac (after the departure of founder Peter Green), and his later solo work. The show, curated mainly from his solo recordings, did feature two distinctive segments of his Fleetwood Mac compositions.

Buckingham's tour is in support of his new release, "Solo Anthology - The Best of Lindsey Buckingham." Signed copies of its deluxe triple-disc edition were flying off the merch table in the Riviera lobby.

"Don't Look Down," his jauntiest song from the '90s, began the set of 19 songs plus three encore tunes. Most of the seated crowd leapt to its feet after "Doing What I Can," sliding into one of his greatest hits, jubilant "Trouble" from the '80s. The audience remained seated again until the raucousness of "Tusk," following a spotlighted drum solo by masterful (and wild-haired) Jimmy Paxson.

People drifted down the aisles to dance in front of the stage and Buckingham occasionally bent down nearly face-to-face with fans in a sort of rock 'n' roll benediction.

Lindsey Buckingham at the Riviera Theatre. (Photo by Nancy J. Parisi/Special to The News)

Smiles at Lindsey Buckingham in Riviera Theatre
Smiles at Lindsey Buckingham in Riviera Theatre
His band of five, off to the sides of the stage and introduced later in the show with great affection, exited for Buckingham to perform three songs solo. Buckingham thanked his fans: "The meaning of this is really coming from all of you, you're supporting what's going on, witnessing it."

The effusiveness during "Shut Us Down," "Never Going Back Again," (beauty-inspired tears from this reviewer) and "Big Love" (the latter two both Fleetwood Mac hits), was awe-inspiring, pure artistry. Buckingham could indeed travel solo –with his bevy of guitars, of course.

Set closer "Go Your Own Way," a '70s Fleetwood Mac hit, led into encores and additional gratitude. "The last piece of this puzzle is you guys. We love you."

Before Buckingham, spellbinding and self-effacing solo guitarist J.S. Ondara, from Nairobi, Kenya, self-described as a "writer of sad songs," performed in crisscrossed white beams of light, a sight in white suit and fedora. His standout moments were his songs "American Dream" and "Lebanon," with a little swing to it.

This rising star noted the Mighty Wurlitzer organ, his opener. "I was backstage listening to the organ, it's quite magnificent, isn't it?" As is Riviera Theatre tradition, all proceedings begin with a concert showing off the instrument-in-residence: organist Tom McGinley performed a lush medley of holiday-inspired music.

REVIEW

Lindsey Buckingham, Nov. 27 at the Riviera Theatre, North Tonawanda.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 11-28-2018 at 10:46 PM..
Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/28/s...viera-theatre/

Sold-out crowd treated to best of Lindsey Buckingham at Riviera Theatre
By Nancy J. Parisi | Published 9:59 a.m. November 28, 2018 | Updated 11 hours ago

thanks! here's their tweet too:

and bunch of fan pics

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-29-2018, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like I said in my Not Too Late thread, this was easily the best Lindsey concert I had ever been to and top 5 maybe higher of all the Fleetwood Mac and various solo shows I’ve been to.

I did not enjoy the opener as much as you did aluezzi. He had a great voice and played very well and best of all I loved his sense of humor but it was just painfully slow start to finish. The first 6 songs were very enjoyable tho. Couldn’t stand the last a Capella one tho.

This set is amazing. The flow and pacing is perfect. The seeds we sow tour had incredible moments, mainly all the new songs, but there were stretches of that show that weren’t the greatest. Plus I hate the opening with an acoustic set like he did on that tour and they did on The BickVie tour. The other thing about the seeds we sow tour was my enjoyment of the Fleetwood Mac songs was not there because of how noticeable the lack of Mock and John was. Like I said in the other thread, that problem has been solved with the BuckVie Rythym section:

- Dont Look Down is an awesome opener although not nearly as good as Great Day was on the Gift of Screws tour.

- Surrender the Rain contained some of my favorite moments and least favorite of the show all in one song. It’s so subtle but whatever Lindsey’s doing on guitar during the chorus is fantastic.

Overall this song is an absolute highlight but that damned ending is so odd. His actual vocals were so good all night I don’t know why he has to add that high voiced effect to the “finale” It doesn’t even sound good that way.

- I already gave Not Too Late it’s own thread for being so fanned
Good on this tour. I’ve always considered this a very mediocre song and definitely bottom of the barrel as far as his fast finger picking songs. But adding the full band to this song took the song into maybe the best song of the night. They don’t do that much either, but particularly the suttle drums on the chorus made a huge difference. And despite it getting its own thread, it still wasn’t the actual best song , that came next.

- I was thrilled when I saw he was doing, “doing what I can” opening night and it did not disappoint. Definitely my favorite song of the night.

- trouble is much better with a full band

- I must Go was the biggest surprise of the night for me along with Not Too Late. I was thrilled he was doing Slow Dancing but not so much I Must Go. But holy sh*t, this had to be his most passionate vocal delivery of a night filled with great vocals, particularly the way he was wailing IIIIIIIIII at the end.

- There something very comforting about watching Lindsey play Big Love. Nothing special or different from the 8 other times I’ve seen him do it, except for maybe some extended oooh ahhhhing but it was by far the most excited i ever was to hear that intro.

- shut us down was another big surprise. I’ve never cared for his performance of this song live and I’ve seen him do it 3 other times. This felt drastically different. Again I think it’s that more passionate delivery I reference above.

- I was ready to dread NGBA too, but he actually did that one well.

- Slow Dancing was as great as I thought it would be.

- Tusk “sounded” the best it ever has live including with a Fleetwood Mac. Now that’s in quotations and I’m not gonna call this one of the best performances of the night because I feel that 50 percent of what made it so great is just the fact they have the prerecorded marching band blasting at the end. And while that’s sort of “cheating” it’s hard to care when I’ve never heard my favorite song of all time sound so so Sonically pleasing!

- as previously mentioned jimmy Paxon has saved I’m So Afraid. That combined with Lindsey’s solo never sounding better made this one of the best ISAs I’ve ever seen

- GYOW wasn’t bad or anything, but at least to me, incredibly anticlimactic after literally every other song in the rest of the set. Especially Imediately following Tusk and ISA.

- so happy that Down on Rodeo was played, it’s been a favorite since the bootleg GOS was out.

- Lindsey’s Band intros being so enjoyable were maybe an even bigger surprise then any song. Very entertaining. Also I guess now would be a great time to mention how great it was that Lindsey’s intersong banter was not out of control like past tours.

-Treason was a great closer. I can’t remember, is this the first time it’s
Been done full band? I feel like he did it acoustic in 08 but can’t remember. Either way I liked this song way more this tour.

He Will Burn You Down

Last edited by Hawkeye; 11-29-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Old 11-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
LHis actual vocals were so good all night I don’t know why he has to add that high voiced effect to the “finale” It doesn’t even sound good that way.

- Tusk “sounded” the best it ever has live including with a Fleetwood Mac. Now that’s in quotations and I’m not gonna call this one of the best performances of the night because I feel that 50 percent of what made it so great is just the fact they have the prerecorded marching band blasting at the end. And while that’s sort of “cheating” it’s hard to care when I’ve never heard my favorite song of all time sound so so Sonically pleasing!
Yes to all of this...
Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like I said in my Not Too Late thread, this was easily the best Lindsey concert I had ever been to and top 5 maybe higher of all the Fleetwood Mac and various solo shows I’ve been to.

I did not enjoy the opener as much as you did aluezzi. He had a great voice and played very well and best of all I loved his sense of humor but it was just painfully slow start to finish. The first 6 songs were very enjoyable tho. Couldn’t stand the last a Capella one tho.

This set is amazing. The flow and pacing is perfect. The seeds we sow tour had incredible moments, mainly all the new songs, but there were stretches of that show that weren’t the greatest. Plus I hate the opening with an acoustic set like he did on that tour and they did on The BickVie tour. The other thing about the seeds we sow tour was my enjoyment of the Fleetwood Mac songs was not there because of how noticeable the lack of Mock and John was. Like I said in the other thread, that problem has been solved with the BuckVie Rythym section:

- Dont Look Down is an awesome opener although not nearly as good as Great Day was on the Gift of Screws tour.

- Surrender the Rain contained some of my favorite moments and least favorite of the show all in one song. It’s so subtle but whatever Lindsey’s doing on guitar during the chorus is fantastic.

Overall this song is an absolute highlight but that damned ending is so odd. His actual vocals were so good all night I don’t know why he has to add that high voiced effect to the “finale” It doesn’t even sound good that way.

- I already gave Not Too Late it’s own thread for being so fanned
Good on this tour. I’ve always considered this a very mediocre song and definitely bottom of the barrel as far as his fast finger picking songs. But adding the full band to this song took the song into maybe the best song of the night. They don’t do that much either, but particularly the suttle drums on the chorus made a huge difference. And despite it getting its own thread, it still wasn’t the actual best song , that came next.

- I was thrilled when I saw he was doing, “doing what I can” opening night and it did not disappoint. Definitely my favorite song of the night.

- trouble is much better with a full band

- I must Go was the biggest surprise of the night for me along with Not Too Late. I was thrilled he was doing Slow Dancing but not so much I Must Go. But holy sh*t, this had to be his most passionate vocal delivery of a night filled with great vocals, particularly the way he was wailing IIIIIIIIII at the end.

- There something very comforting about watching Lindsey play Big Love. Nothing special or different from the 8 other times I’ve seen him do it, except for maybe some extended oooh ahhhhing but it was by far the most excited i ever was to hear that intro.

- shut us down was another big surprise. I’ve never cared for his performance of this song live and I’ve seen him do it 3 other times. This felt drastically different. Again I think it’s that more passionate delivery I reference above.

In Our Own Time was my third favorite song of the night actually after DWIC and Not Too Kate but I somehow glazed over it when writing this review. I wouldn’t even bother correcting that but in the outside chance someone connected to Lindsey or the band is taking my opinion seriously (i Know it sounds CRAZY, it does to me too, but I’ve seen too many things I’ve wished for and/or hypothesized that happened. And neglecting this song from my review and it disappearing the very next show is too Erie for me to ignore and now I must correct this oversight. )

- as previously mentioned jimmy Paxon has saved I’m So Afraid. That combined with Lindsey’s solo never sounding better made this one of the best ISAs I’ve ever seen

- GYOW wasn’t bad or anything, but at least to me, incredibly anticlimactic after literally every other song in the rest of the set. Especially Imediately following Tusk and ISA.

- so happy that Down on Rodeo was played, it’s been a favorite since the bootleg GOS was out.

- Lindsey’s Band intros being so enjoyable were maybe an even bigger surprise then any song. Very entertaining. Also I guess now would be a great time to mention how great it was that Lindsey’s intersong banter was not out of control like past tours.

-Treason was a great closer. I can’t remember, is this the first time it’s
Been done full band? I feel like he did it acoustic in 08 but can’t remember. Either way I liked this song way more this tour.
Bump, edited with the one song I forgot to mention, not because it was my least favorite. Not by a long shot.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bump, edited with the one song I forgot to mention, not because it was my least favorite. Not by a long shot.
haha you can relax. my friend asked him last night at m&g what happened to In Our Own Time. he said his fingers are hurting so he's giving it a rest for 2 shows and it will be back in NYC.