Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Greeny with his six-string Fender Bass VI guitar

As I know Peter used six-string Fender Bass VI guitar as a solo instrument during his live performances of 'The Green Manalishi'. In the second part of it there were only Peter and Mick on the stage. I like very much this playing.
But I have a question?
Did Peter play this Fender Bass VI at other live or studio tracks?

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
As I know Peter used six-string Fender Bass VI guitar as a solo instrument during his live performances of 'The Green Manalishi'. In the second part of it there were only Peter and Mick on the stage. I like very much this playing.
But I have a question?

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof
I believe Green played the Fender Bass VI on "Before the Beginning" studio track (the middle section).

John Entwistle played a Fender Bass VI at one time, as did Jack Bruce. The Beatles used it a lot during Get Back/Let It Be and Abbey Road albums. This instrument was made for surf groups like the Ventures that wanted that plucky bass tone. Fender stopped making the instrument in 1975. However, Fender brought it back in 2006 as part of their custom shop catalog. They cost over $3000.

Last edited by slipkid; 01-29-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But I have a question?

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof
What about the solo on 'Can't Believe You Wanna Leave' (Live at The BBC)?
It's from early 1969.

Maybe there is more?

Ms Moose
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
It's from early 1969.

Maybe there is more?

Ms Moose
Ah, good call. I don't listen to BBC much anymore but I think you're right. Wee, I'm now a senior ledgie!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Ah, good call. I don't listen to BBC much anymore but I think you're right. Wee, I'm now a senior ledgie!
Neither do I at the moment, but I remembered this Fats Domino song because it is so unusual to hear PG sing this type of song and of course for the solo...

CONGRATULATIONS on entering senior-dom, slipkid

Ms Moose
Old 01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Ledgie

The only other couple of other times I saw Peter play his 6 string Fender Bass other than on GM, was when he took to the stage at the Angel Hotel (Gin Mill Club) in Godalming, Surrey, for the live recording of Duster Bennet's 'Bright Lights ...' album in April 1969, where he played on the title track and one other track ( can't remember which one right at this moment). I seem to recall that Mick was in attendance together with Jenny B and Sandra E and they stood right in front of me and my friends. Everyone had a ball that night....brilliant gig!
The other time was at the Lyceum Ballroom in London when FM did a gig with guests which went on till the early hours of the morning. Nick Picket (a violin player) played a spot with Peter, Danny and Mick as his backing band. Peter played bass using his Fender 6 string during this spot. After FM had played for a good couple of hours,Nick Picket together with Glen Cornick and Clive Bunker from Jethro Tull, + Danny and Peter
had a Jam session that went on for another hour or so. It is a real pity that no recordings have ever surfaced ( to my knowledge ) of that show as Peter was at the top of his game that night and he set the place on fire with his guitar and bass playing.

Blue Horizon
Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ARRRG - where is my time machine???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Horizon View Post
The only other couple of other times I saw Peter play his 6 string Fender Bass other than on GM, was when he took to the stage at the Angel Hotel (Gin Mill Club) in Godalming, Surrey, for the live recording of Duster Bennet's 'Bright Lights ...' album in April 1969, where he played on the title track and one other track ( can't remember which one right at this moment). I seem to recall that Mick was in attendance together with Jenny B and Sandra E and they stood right in front of me and my friends. Everyone had a ball that night....brilliant gig!
The other time was at the Lyceum Ballroom in London when FM did a gig with guests which went on till the early hours of the morning. Nick Picket (a violin player) played a spot with Peter, Danny and Mick as his backing band. Peter played bass using his Fender 6 string during this spot. After FM had played for a good couple of hours,Nick Picket together with Glen Cornick and Clive Bunker from Jethro Tull, + Danny and Peter
had a Jam session that went on for another hour or so. It is a real pity that no recordings have ever surfaced ( to my knowledge ) of that show as Peter was at the top of his game that night and he set the place on fire with his guitar and bass playing.

Blue Horizon
Thanks for sharing this with us Blue Horizon. I was born too late! I wish I had a time machine!

And Krzysztof: there is this clip on Youtube from 'Bright Lights Big City'. There is only one known bit of film footage with Duster when he played with John Mayall in Paris (I think). Sad - it would be great to have had that concert saved for "eternity" (amongst others...here we go again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAIRR...eature=related

The numbers from the concert are also included on 'Duster Bennett - The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions', which you probably know and have already.

Ms Moose
Old 01-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Blue Horizon
Thanks Blue Horizon for a lot of interesting details.
You are a lucky man you had seen Peter's gigs at his best so many times !!!

Greetings
Krzysztof
Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I was born too late! I wish I had a time machine!

The numbers from the concert are also included on 'Duster Bennett - The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions', which you probably know and have already.
Ms Moose
I was born too late too !!! When Peter was quitting FM I was only 9. Apart from that PGFM didn't play behind the Iron Courtain

Yes, I have Duster Bennett - The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions. I've just read the details in the booklet.
According to information above from Blue Horizon Peter Green (aka Peter Blue) plays six string bass on two tracks: Bright Lights Big City and Talk To Me. On these two tracks Top Topham plays guitar.

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof
Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was born too late too !!! When Peter was quitting FM I was only 9. Apart from that PGFM didn't play behind the Iron Courtain

Yes, I have Duster Bennett - The Complete Blue Horizon Sessions. I've just read the details in the booklet.
According to information above from Blue Horizon Peter Green (aka Peter Blue) plays six string bass on two tracks: Bright Lights Big City and Talk To Me. On these two tracks Top Topham plays guitar.

Greetings from Poland
Krzysztof
I was 14 when he quit in 1970 - arghh-h! And I was into Beatles at the time having been given The White Album for Christmas in 1969!
It is true of course it would not have helped you, Krzysztof being older because of the iron curtain

Somehow from reading the booklet I thought that PG was playing bass on all the numbers from the 15th of april 1969 in Godalming, but you are right it is only two of them. I think it is a very confusing booklet to read.

I will try and find some more Fender VI playing if I can in the future.

Ms Moose
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is a real pity that no recordings have ever surfaced ( to my knowledge ) of that show as Peter was at the top of his game that night and he set the place on fire with his guitar and bass playing.

Blue Horizon
I was also at this gig I've just become a member here and did a post about it on the Peter Green bass guitar thread before I spotted this ! I didnt stay late -we were still at school -just ,and the friend who gave me a lift wanted to get away !So we left after the first jam with Glen Cornick or half way through but as I said in my other post Peter played the bass during Fleetwood Mac's set. Interestingyou don't mention this ? But I totally agree Peter was superb but so were the whole band I think they were at their absolute peak.
Glen Cornick's Wild Turkey were the formal band playing earlier . I 'd forgotten about Nick Picket
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink Bass Archeology

Quote:
It's from early 1969.

Maybe there is more?

Ms Moose
Oh Yes - i Have found another one..(hope this does not interfer too much with the new developments on this thread):

PG is playing his six-string bass on Tutti Frutti on the Live in Boston Vol.3!

Ms Moose