Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Song discussion: Gone Into The Sun

This song came up today as I was listening to my iPod on shuffle. I hadn't realized before how beautiful it is. Christine's voice is particularly great and full of understated beauty, especially considering what an early song it is. The simplicity of the arrangement also really serves to bolster Christine's vocal. The repeated guitar figures are almost hypnotic, and the drum fills very gently push the song forward when Chris isn't singing.

This song has a very late-60s-pop vibe to it, like a Mamas & Papas song without the harmonies. I almost get a (very subtle) psychedlic feel from this song too, although the lyrics are just your typical (typically wonderful, that is) Christine love ballad.

Anybody else care to share some thoughts on this song, what you like about it, what you don't? It's on the Madison Blues set, for those who haven't heard it or don't remember it.

Last edited by Jyqm; 04-26-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Old 04-26-2006, 01:09 PM

I couldn't have said it better my self....
Old 04-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE "Gone Into The Sun". The Chicken Shack songs that she wrote were blues songs, but this is a pop song. It's probably one of the first pop songs she ever wrote. Her voice is beautiful, kind of haunting. She really struggled with her live vocals around this time, but in the studio her voice was really great. And of course, the lyrics are wonderful(I'm guessing they were about John). I really wish this song had gone on a Fleetwood Mac album, Bare Trees maybe?

By the way, when I first got the Madison Blues box set & heard "Gone Into The Sun". I played it over and over and over, must have been at least 20-30 times initially.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
By the way, when I first got the Madison Blues box set & heard "Gone Into The Sun". I played it over and over and over, must have been at least 20-30 times initially.
I did the same thing!! I was hypnotized by it!

I wrote a bit about it in my john/chris thing-- what the heck did i say, let me find it--

"Her response to John's comment made it heartbreakingly clear that even after a year of living this way, it wasn’t getting any easier: “It always destroys me when John’s away. It’s like having my right arm missing. I pad about the flat feeling lost... He’s my best friend.” She movingly expressed the resigned sadness of their frequent goodbyes in her lovely song from this period, called “Gone Into the Sun”—‘Just one last look before you leave me, just one last look before you go; be careful now, the light is fading… and I'm so scared of being alone/Hold me closely in the darkness, let me feel that you are near…just one last look and you'll be gone… oh, gone… into the sun. ’ I adore this song; it’s so melancholy…you can almost see the airplane disappearing into the sunset."

so yes, I am a huge fan of this song, and I think it was actually quite personal.

-Lis
Old 04-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i want this song so much!!! ive never heard it! & im not likely to be able to get madison blues any time soon but the lyrics are absolutely beautiful!!! some of christines best i think! god i want to hear the song!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySongbird
i want this song so much!!! ive never heard it! & im not likely to be able to get madison blues any time soon but the lyrics are absolutely beautiful!!! some of christines best i think! god i want to hear the song!!!!!!
Okay, okay, but only because you begged.

Just make sure you're sitting down when you listen to this:

http://download.yousendit.com/8517F97F3E7980D9
Old 04-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Okay, okay, but only because you begged.

Just make sure you're sitting down when you listen to this:
hehehe, not that i was hinting or anything
thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou sooo much! its beautiful!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I did the same thing!! I was hypnotized by it!

I wrote a bit about it in my john/chris thing-- what the heck did i say, let me find it--

"Her response to John's comment made it heartbreakingly clear that even after a year of living this way, it wasn’t getting any easier: “It always destroys me when John’s away. It’s like having my right arm missing. I pad about the flat feeling lost... He’s my best friend.” She movingly expressed the resigned sadness of their frequent goodbyes in her lovely song from this period, called “Gone Into the Sun”—‘Just one last look before you leave me, just one last look before you go; be careful now, the light is fading… and I'm so scared of being alone/Hold me closely in the darkness, let me feel that you are near…just one last look and you'll be gone… oh, gone… into the sun. ’ I adore this song; it’s so melancholy…you can almost see the airplane disappearing into the sunset."

so yes, I am a huge fan of this song, and I think it was actually quite personal.

-Lis
Christine makes me cry whenever I hear her sing about someone going away, a lover not there, lonliness, etc. I never heard this one before. What else is there she did before Rumours in that vein? I want to get sad again!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by profjohn
Christine makes me cry whenever I hear her sing about someone going away, a lover not there, lonliness, etc. I never heard this one before. What else is there she did before Rumours in that vein? I want to get sad again!
"The Way I Feel" is a beautiful piano ballad about feeling helpless in the face of a missed opportunity. "Come A Little Bit Closer" is also a great one. Of course, if you truly want to have your heart broken, there's always the greatest song Fleetwood Mac ever recorded: "Why."

You really can't go wrong with anything Christine recorded with Fleetwood Mac in the pre-Buckingham/Nicks years, though. Not all of her songs are sad, of course, but nearly every one of them is a miniature masterpiece. "Show Me A Smile," "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love," "Prove Your Love," "Believe Me," "Remember Me"... and the list goes on.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course, if you truly want to have your heart broken, there's always the greatest song Fleetwood Mac ever recorded: "Why."
Amen!

Gail
Old 04-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"The Way I Feel" is a beautiful piano ballad about feeling helpless in the face of a missed opportunity. "Come A Little Bit Closer" is also a great one. Of course, if you truly want to have your heart broken, there's always the greatest song Fleetwood Mac ever recorded: "Why."

You really can't go wrong with anything Christine recorded with Fleetwood Mac in the pre-Buckingham/Nicks years, though. Not all of her songs are sad, of course, but nearly every one of them is a miniature masterpiece. "Show Me A Smile," "Spare Me A Little Of Your Love," "Prove Your Love," "Believe Me," "Remember Me"... and the list goes on.
I could have written this post, since I agree with everything you said.

By the way, there are several more tracks from the Madison Blues box set which are similar...."It's You I Miss", from the Christine Perfect Band session & "Lonely Without You", which is a live Fleetwood Mac track. I love both of these songs, although neither is as good as "Gone Into The Sun".
Old 04-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I could have written this post, since I agree with everything you said.

By the way, there are several more tracks from the Madison Blues box set which are similar...."It's You I Miss", from the Christine Perfect Band session & "Lonely Without You", which is a live Fleetwood Mac track. I love both of these songs, although neither is as good as "Gone Into The Sun".
I haven't heard Lonely Without You! I really like It's You I Miss. It's got... a certain feel to it that I can't really pinpoint. Hippy-ish, I guess? I don't know.

As for Gone Into The Sun, everything that's been said, I agree with. It's a very smooth sort of song.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Coming a little late to this thread on "Gone into the Sun" I just want to reiterate what a good little tuune it is! She performs it very well. No frills. The song is ridiculously simple--and that's its virtue, I think.

In terms of style, the arrangment and performance remind me a little of early Traffic songs like "No Face, No, Name No Number" and "Don't Be Sad." There's that same blend of innocence and cleverness.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Jyqm for the download. I really love this song, especially the climb in "just one last look" and the fall into her velvet-suede low "gone into the sun".
Also, I am a sucker for jangly guitar and tambo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
In terms of style, the arrangment and performance remind me a little of early Traffic songs like "No Face, No, Name No Number" and "Don't Be Sad." There's that same blend of innocence and cleverness.
I am a Traffic fan.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
there's always the greatest song Fleetwood Mac ever recorded: "Why."

Woa with the hyperboles! Do you really stand behind this statement 100%? Are you willing to be your life on it? Just matching drama for drama...