Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That has always been her job. Stevie might be the star, and Lindsey the architect, but Christine's songs ARE the MF SOUND of Fleetwood Mac. Because that's where it all melds, and makes it a cohesive unit. Christine MF McVie. Period.
I agree. Lindsey is the architect. Mick and John are the heart but Christine is the soul of Fleetwood Mac. When she left there was star power but the music was soulless.
I believe her leaving was more profound than Lindsey leaving.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I believe her leaving was more profound than Lindsey leaving.
I'm sorry but I can't see that. The tours between 87 and 96 were a lot more mediocre and flat than the ones between 2003 and 2013. And sorry, but the albums without Lindsey were extremely poor on original ideas. Say You Will, even if you hate it, was a lot more adventurous and surprising. What is soul? Little Lies or Say Goobye? Come on.

And, to be honest, the quality of Christine's songs are really upgraded in co-production with Lindsey.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I'm sorry but I can't see that. The tours between 87 and 96 were a lot more mediocre and flat than the ones between 2003 and 2013. And sorry, but the albums without Lindsey were extremely poor on original ideas. Say You Will, even if you hate it, was a lot more adventurous and surprising. What is soul? Little Lies or Say Goobye? Come on.

And, to be honest, the quality of Christine's songs are really upgraded in co-production with Lindsey.
I know I'm not WRONG
That is your opinion and I support your right to express your opinion no matter how wrong it is
This is all opinion. The Say You Will Tour was so boring and missing Christine. The Behind the Mask/Farewell tour was far superior to the Say You Will tour even with the klonopin issues.
Behind the Mask is a much better sound than Tango IMHO. I prefer the more rock n roll approach than the digital programmed music Lindsey was doing at the time.
Lindsey is a genius, one of the best guitarists, and ace producer but Christine still adds more depth to the band. The minute she joined, the band changed for the better. Without her, it was not Fleetwood Mac to me. Without Lindsey, it was still Fleetwood Mac to me. I would say the same about Stevie. She adds SO MUCH to the band but if she left, it would still be Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey does make Christine's songs better. But she wrote beautiful songs years before Stevie and Lindsey joined the band. Some of those songs are still some of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs.
Its funny you picked Little Lies as your example of a soulless Christine song. That is a Lindsey arrangement on mostly a Lindsey solo album.
I will ask the question back to you What is soul? Why or Caroline? Come a little bit closer or Family Man? Warm Ways or What's the world coming to?
Funny cause I think Say You Will is a great album. With Christine, it would have been sensational.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-07-2016 at 07:04 AM..
Old 10-07-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
The "Bare Trees" era holds an extremely special place in my heart. I'm a huge Danny Kirwan fan. It's a shame that his demons took over both his music and his life. But songs like "Danny's Chant" and "Sunny Side Of Heaven" are masterpieces - Snapshots of a band still valid and creative despite losing Green and Spencer, but veering off in a more fascinating and mystical direction. However, his song, "Dust" remains my favorite cut off this record. Why? Because it perfectly foreshadows not only his departure from the band, but also his departure from creating music and, lastly, his HIGHLY UNDERRATED legacy within this band. It's so sad. He's the only other member of this band whose lyrics are on par with Stevie's in regards to the poetic and atmospheric.

I also really dig Bob's funky "The Ghost" and prefer this first version of "Sentimental Lady" to (what would become) the over saturated California yacht rock solo version later on.

Christine's "Spare Me A Little" is like a sneak peak of her Pop sensibilities overshadowing her Blues roots. A "dry run", if you will, for songs like "Say You Love Me" and "Sugar Daddy" IMO. So much fun!

And of course how could you not adore Mrs. Scarrot's "Thoughts On A Grey Day" closing an album that's "beautiful! Just beautiful! So beautiful!"

Definitely a "perfect moment in time", not only for the band, but for the fans of Fleetwood Mac. It's a shame it was so short lived. It's also worth noting that this is the only platinum selling Mac album, pre-Rumours line up.

I'm not sure about that sentiment, but I do agree that it would have been more well received and hugely successful had she taken part. There's a reason why "Bleed To Love Her" and "Steal Your Heart Away" are my personal favorites off the record. It's because of Christine's presence...and the only two moments within the record that make it FEEL like it's Fleetwood Mac instead of Buckingham Nicks Part 2.
I was in the Vegas area this week and I drove to Hoover Damn.. For some reason, I needed to hear Future Games. Woman of 1000 years is so beautiful.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do love all the era's of the Mac but I would have to say 1975-1987 is my pick. Since the release of these expanded albums It's so fresh to me again. I have a cd juke box in my home office that only plays Fleetwood Mac music (no solo stuff) and I love it all but....
Old 10-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm torn between Then Play On and the '75 album. Both masterworks, both completely different. I also love about 10 of their other albums almost as much
Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 AM

1970-1982 I know this has so many eras in it.. But I love all these line up changes.

12/13 great years of FMac
Old 10-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I know I'm not WRONG
That is your opinion and I support your right to express your opinion no matter how wrong it is
To paraphrase the Dame herself.

Michele
Old 10-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite era is 1975-76. I loved the white album. As a teenager I just thought they had the coolest sound. Live I think they sounded the best. Stevie's voice was amazing. They sounded so good together.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 10-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
My favorite era is 1975-76. I loved the white album. As a teenager I just thought they had the coolest sound. Live I think they sounded the best. Stevie's voice was amazing. They sounded so good together.

I second that!
Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As others have said, my vote is 75-76, everything about the era is just fantastic. A new fresh sounding band with incredible songwriting from 3 very distinct writers who mesh to perfection. It is also notable that the majority of Rumours was written and recorded during this era. Particularly Stevie, her voice was the best to come on the scene in a long time and live particularly it was such a forceful instrument, and showed such amazing promise for this band to really become and rock and roll classic in the vein of the other big greats in the industry. Although I really love Tusk and the Mirage era that followed, the whole performance came down a few notches from the initial stellar beginnings of the classic line up. This edge was never to return. It was not until well into the Rumours tour in 1977-78 that things began to unravel and cocaine was becoming the obvious destructive factor on this band, not really the fights and relationships that they would have us believe tore them apart, I believe it was more the drugs. The phoned in concerts, the declining quality of the writing etc really was noticeable, but the band maintained its legacy. This is true even today when so much focus is on the 75-76 period, the setlists all contain the majority of the work of this period and has stood the test of time.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also add The Dance was great also SYW was great too but the focus for me would be 1975 to 1987.If I was into blues rock back then I probably would add 1967 to 1987.

Welcome to the board Fleetwood Jack.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016

Last edited by Macfanforever; 10-08-2016 at 01:13 PM..
Old 10-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Ledgie

MacFanForever, thank you so much for the warm welcome!

I think this is a poetic new era of The Ledge message board, that will bear much fruit in years to come. I know I'm No Wrong.

(See what I did there?)
Old 10-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post

I think this is a poetic new era of The Ledge message board, that will bear much fruit in years to come. I know I'm No Wrong.

(See what I did there?)
Welcome to The Ledge, Fleetwood Jack! I look foword to seeing your contributions. I hope you like it around here!

P.S. Love the reference.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post

(See what I did there?)
Ladies and Gentlemen.. Let's give a warm welcome to Fleetwood Jack!