User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Who else thinks that the second photo there should've been the album cover? It's great!

Maybe it's the back cover??
Any of these would have been an improvement....The shown one just looks cheesy, like a bad photoshop job!
I just wanted something a little more....classy!
But, in the end, all that matters is the music!!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that ten songs seems short, but I'd much rather have ten great songs than ten great songs and a half dozen others that aren't very good.

Remember "Future Games"? It only has eight songs (and one is an instrumental!), and it's a great album. Just the right length.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think he was probably gesturing, the way he does, and they caught his hand in mid gesture.

The problem with the cover isn't that it's just the two of them (though that is rather boring-- especially the stark white background) but that they should certainly have picked a better photo of Lindsey. His expression is too dour. And his posture/pose seems awkward... like he was getting ready to walk away or something, which, combined with his expression gives the vibe like he's really not into it. Which contradicts everything he's ever said about this project. It's like his mother just told him he can't leave the table until he finishes all his peas.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

10 songs? Three years of recording and we get 10 songs?

The last time I even saw an album with only 10 songs on it was probably 1986! I understand they were leaving some space on the album in the hope Stevie would contribute, but once they knew she wasn't going to, why didn't they add at least 1 more song? They had no other demos or songs they could have added? Just surprising, not a criticism.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think he was probably gesturing, the way he does, and they caught his hand in mid gesture.

The problem with the cover isn't that it's just the two of them (though that is rather boring-- especially the stark white background) but that they should certainly have picked a better photo of Lindsey. His expression is too dour. And his posture/pose seems awkward... like he was getting ready to walk away or something, which, combined with his expression gives the vibe like he's really not into it. Which contradicts everything he's ever said about this project. It's like his mother just told him he can't leave the table until he finishes all his peas.
I've done a many photoshoots... and the reaction on my face is horrible in some of the many photos. I'm wondering if they just chose a bad shot. I mean his body language and face aren't very inviting. Not to mention the grapefruit in his pants to the north west of his crotch. Christine looks relaxed and cool as a cucumber.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post

The last time I even saw an album with only 10 songs on it was probably 1986! I understand they were leaving some space on the album in the hope Stevie would contribute, but once they knew she wasn't going to, why didn't they add at least 1 more song? They had no other demos or songs they could have added? Just surprising, not a criticism.
I'm glad. It's a funny thing about music. I thought Bryan Ferry's Frantic (shoulda cut 3 songs to make it 8-1/2 songs). I thought his Olympia should have gone from 10 to 13 tracks (3 covers that were recorded during the sessions). And, finally, the recent Son of Bazerk comeback album (since 1991!) was only 8 tracks of pure bliss.

I am hopeful that 10 tracks hits the sweet spot.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 04-12-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Album Length

It will be interesting to see what the length of the album will be. Tango was around 44 minutes. The first single ("In My World") clocks in at 4 minutes and 24 seconds (per iTunes). My guess is that there will be 40 minutes of music (I would say "new music" but I am not sure if "Sleeping Around the Corner" is going to be a new version).
Old 04-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I'm glad. It's a funny thing about music. I thought Bryan Ferry's Frantic (shoulda cut 3 songs to make it 8-1/2 songs). I thought his Olympia should have gone from 10 to 13 tracks (3 covers that were recorded during the sessions). And, finally, the recent Son of Bazerk comeback album (since 1991!) was only 8 tracks of pure bliss.

I am hopeful that 10 tracks hits the sweet spot.
In The Meantime had 2 too many songs on it. I agree w/ your theory.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Ten songs is pretty common today. The pendulum has swung the other way from the crazy-long CDs of the '90s and early 2000s and many artists are moving toward more minimalist albums. Conor Oberst's and Son Volt's last albums were each 10 tracks, Laura Marling's new one and Leonard Cohen's last were only 9. And David Bowie's big one from last year was only 7 tracks.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Ten songs is pretty common today. The pendulum has swung the other way from the crazy-long CDs of the '90s and early 2000s and many artists are moving toward more minimalist albums. Conor Oberst's and Son Volt's last albums were each 10 tracks, Laura Marling's new one and Leonard Cohen's last were only 9. And David Bowie's big one from last year was only 7 tracks.
A lot of people like quantity over quality. I couldn't stand some of the inconsistencies of SYW. It ruins the album.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post

I Feel your pain..
Old 04-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

News bit about the BuckVie album which they are saying is "really a FM album"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVZdPbOfWs

A shortened version of what it says: (he talks a lot more about Stevie and why she's not on it and why they aren't calling it FM at the end, not in the transcript)

Published on Jan 13, 2017
Buckingham/McVie Duo Project Will Replace New Fleetwood Mac Album
Well, it's still Fleetwood Mac sort of. Without the band name or Stevie Nicks. The new project will include the Mac's Mick Fleetwood on Drums and John McVie on bass, singer/Guitarist Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie on Vocals and keys.

Nicks is on her “Rockin’ 24 Karat Gold Tour” since last year. It kicks off again in February until April.

McVie spoke with the L.A Times saying, “I've been sending Lindsey demos in their very raw form, and he's been doing his Lindsey magic on them, which I love.” Let's remember McVie Left Fleetwood Mac in 1998 only coming back to tour with the band in 2014.

So what was she doing all those years? “I'd been virtually doing nothing in the country in 16 years of being a retired lady. Being busy walking my dogs — actually not doing anything very constructive.” In 2004 McVie Released her third solo album “In the Meantime.'

When talking about Buckingham she says, “A better thing's never happened to me. I've reconnected with the band and found a fantastic person to write with.” In the past the pair have only written 4 Fleetwood Mac Songs together, 'World Turning” from the self title album from 1975 and three from, 'Tango in the Night' from 1987 - 'Mystified" and 'You and I, Part II.' The pair co-wrote "Isn't It Midnight' with Eddy Quintela from the same album. In comparison Fleetwood Mac has never released any tunes on any albums co-written by Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. There was only one we could find that's been released and that's 'Frozen Love' from their duo project 'Buckingham Nicks' from 1973.

The whole band wrote 'The Chain' from 1977's classic 'Rumours.' McVie adds, “We've always written well together, Lindsey and I, and this has just spiraled into something really amazing that we've done between us.”

The new Fleetwood Mac/ Buckingham/McVie album will be released in May. Seriously, it is a classy move for them to not call it a Fleetwood Mac album. - by John Beaudin

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-12-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
News bit about the BuckVie album which they are saying is "really a FM album"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVZdPbOfWs
video is restricted.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've done a many photoshoots... and the reaction on my face is horrible in some of the many photos. I'm wondering if they just chose a bad shot. I mean his body language and face aren't very inviting. Not to mention the grapefruit in his pants to the north west of his crotch. Christine looks relaxed and cool as a cucumber.
looks like a crystal ball to me
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tracks 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 by Lindsey Buckingham (Sleeping Around the Corner, In My World, Love is Here to Stay, Lay Down For Free and On With The Show)
Tracks 2, 4 and 6 by Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie (Feel About You, Red Sun, Too Far Gone)
Tracks 8 and 10 by Christine McVie (Game of Pretend, Carnival Begin)

I'm still very unclear about which songs have been worked on in which way. Chris said she was sending Lindsey demos in their raw form and he was working on them. I wonder if she's referring to the co-writes or the Christine McVie songs?
Lindsey/Christine also said she'd written a load of lyrics for basic tracks he'd put together. Would these be the co-writes or the Lindsey Buckingham songs?
Logically I'd say in both cases these would be co-writes...but there are only 3 songs that are considered to be co-written.

Perhaps the songs she initially sent him to work on were Game of Pretend and Carnival Begin. The ones that are listed as co-written would be music by LB and lyrics by CM. If this is the case then only 2 of the 10 songs started out as Christine McVie songs.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood