Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mac Featured In Rolling Stone Mags Top 500 Songs

There is a special 10.00 issue of Rolling Stone out called the Top 500 Songs of all time and Fleetwood Mac came in at #120 with "Go Your Own Way". To me that is stupid and they were only mentioned that one time with a small pic of stevie and not of the band it's self. they had other great songs. Why just that one. Well if you read the last pages of the issue you will find out who voted. It's pretty interesting. But all of these songs that were in that magazine I totally disagree with. I disagree with the song as well as it's position in the issue. But that's Rolling Stone for ya. I just thought I would let everyone know.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I gotta come out and say it: RS is run by a bunch of childish jackasses that act like a combo of a poser (put on their lists what they think is "cool") and an elitist (put on their lists obscure stuff to look "cool"). Their lists are skewed as hell (you shoulda seen how upset people got at my Zep Facebook group when they saw Jimmy Page was ranked only 7 on their list of the 100 greatest guitarists) and to listen to it is like taking advice on penny stocks and other risky investments from a monkey throwing darts at a board. I swear, their lists annoy me more than anything else, but I've come to ignore them and their stupid opinions.

OK, rant over.

Now, Go Your Own Way is a great song, but they should have really put Rhiannon up there and higher too. That song did have a huge impact in that it was the breakout song for the Mac and solidified Stevie's image that has served as an influence for female vocalists to this day, not to mention it was a huge stepping stone towards her position as the Queen of Rock n' Roll.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 05-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well of course, Rolling Stone is bias. I mean, Like a Rolling Stone is number one and Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones is two?!?!? come on.....

Rhiannon is also on there: #488

in my opinion, it's better than GYOW and should be higher....actually i'm surprised that Landslide isn't on there.....

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah... but... Shouldn't everyone be biased when it comes to The Rolling Stones?

I can't hate Rolling Stone because that mag made Annie Leibovitz famous and I love her.

I agree that Rhiannon should be higher but I don't care for GYOW as much as I do Rhiannon

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
Well of course, Rolling Stone is bias. I mean, Like a Rolling Stone is number one and Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones is two?!?!? come on.....

Rhiannon is also on there: #488

in my opinion, it's better than GYOW and should be higher....actually i'm surprised that Landslide isn't on there.....
You're looking at the original list from 2004, where GYOW was #119 and Rhiannon was #488. On the updated list, GYOW moved down a spot to #120 and Rhiannon got bumped off entirely.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really surprised that they didn't go with "Dreams." It is the Mac's only #1,and it didn't even make the list. I HATE these lists anyway. It is just a couple of people's opinions, so what makes their opinions any better than anyone else's?!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
I'm really surprised that they didn't go with "Dreams." It is the Mac's only #1,and it didn't even make the list. I HATE these lists anyway. It is just a couple of people's opinions, so what makes their opinions any better than anyone else's?!
Cause it's the "Rolling Stone" name :P

Gimme a break. They think cause they're a mag that their opinion is so much more important than anyone elses. I personally think that, at the end of the day, your personal opinion is much more important.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 05-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think other FM songs belonged on that list, but I'll gladly take GYOW as the one that won consideration.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 05-31-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Old 05-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77 View Post
I'm really surprised that they didn't go with "Dreams." It is the Mac's only #1,and it didn't even make the list.
Its cool that Dreams went to #1 and all, but chart placement- more often than not- depends on its competition in any given week. There are dozens of #2, #3, #4, even #5 hits that WAY outperformed just as many #1's. Dreams- when you take a closer look- was a weak #1.

As for the RS 500 chart, GYOW gets at least 3 times (and that's a conservative estimate) more spins on radio than Dreams does these days. There's a pretty established/accepted consensus on what the most lasting/significant track from Rumours (a lasting/significant album in itself, of course), and it ain't Dreams.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post

As for the RS 500 chart, GYOW gets at least 3 times (and that's a conservative estimate) more spins on radio than Dreams does these days. There's a pretty established/accepted consensus on what the most lasting/significant track from Rumours (a lasting/significant album in itself, of course), and it ain't Dreams.

And when I think of the Bill Clinton campaign theme song, I am pretty darn happy with the way things divide themselves out in a roughly even manner, all told. Something for everyone.

I will stack my own triumverate up against Caesar, Marc Antony and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus any day of the week.

Michele
Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
I gotta come out and say it: RS is run by a bunch of childish jackasses that act like a combo of a poser (put on their lists what they think is "cool") and an elitist (put on their lists obscure stuff to look "cool"). Their lists are skewed as hell (you shoulda seen how upset people got at my Zep Facebook group when they saw Jimmy Page was ranked only 7 on their list of the 100 greatest guitarists) and to listen to it is like taking advice on penny stocks and other risky investments from a monkey throwing darts at a board. I swear, their lists annoy me more than anything else, but I've come to ignore them and their stupid opinions.
OK, rant over.
Now, Go Your Own Way is a great song, but they should have really put Rhiannon up there and higher too. That song did have a huge impact in that it was the breakout song for the Mac and solidified Stevie's image that has served as an influence for female vocalists to this day, not to mention it was a huge stepping stone towards her position as the Queen of Rock n' Roll.
I really enjoyed the entire composition of what you wrote, MLL, it just reads in a very flowing, logical, positive way. Heck, I found it concise! (Usually, I think of rants as too long! I could have read more of your thoughts!)
It's funny how damaged the reputation of RS seems to be, now. I suspect they may not be willing to pay for 'real writers' anymore, for the magazine, with the Internet writers, pro and non-pro, who provide immediate coverage a bi-weekly cannot. I'd given my sister's 13 yr. old son a subscription, and my sister asked me to please not renew it, saying 'All they do is put these old f***s on the cover and compile ridiculous lists, there's nothing in there worth reading'.
Of-course, I'd love Rolling Stone again if they gave us an exclusive preview of the (being faithful, still) forthcoming Stevie cd with a cover photo and caption along the lines of:
'Can Rolling Stone's Designated 'Queen of Rock' Reign Again As She Rush-Releases Best Album Ever?'
(Why not hallucinate big?)
Inside, a never-before-leaked track-by-track preview; written by Cameron Crowe, because he's sick of trying to sell another screenplay, with pages of photos and details of the recording sessions, on news-stands no later than September 1, 2010. I'd buy a lifetime subscription-
-Yup, won't happen.
See now, what I meant about how concise you were, MLL?!

PS- As we all know, Rolling Stone really blew it by not having even a mention of Lindsey Buckingham in their '100 Greatest Guitarists in Rock History' issue, which you also managed to mention, above.
Concisely

Last edited by Nikolaj; 05-31-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Old 05-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I say, let Patti Smith write for them again. Then it'd be more than worth reading.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I say, let Patti Smith write for them again. Then it'd be more than worth reading.
here here!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thinking about it, I phrased that wrong. They should beg Patti to write for them again. Seems she realised how **** it was and only did that one review

Old 05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ButterCookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
here here!

I agree with you, both! Let Patti write, let people read it!
Just don't let her sing and make people listen!!

Now ducking slings and arrows. It's a joke, really. I know Patti Smith is an 'untouchable', I learned that long ago!

Last edited by Nikolaj; 05-31-2010 at 02:15 PM..