Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default What does your family/significant other/friends think of your love of Fleetwood Mac?

Obviously, some of the younger Ledgies have parents who aren't too thrilled about their love for Fleetwood Mac. I'm wondering about everyone else's experiences.

I think my family thought I was 'strange' for liking such 'old music' (this was in the mid 80s) My mom liked almost nothing by the members of FM (aside from Dreams & Edge of Seventeen). My dad thought they were okay, but didn't get why I was crazy for them. My siblings hated FM.
Most people I went to school with thought I was off the wall. I met a few students over the years who liked FM, but not many. Mostly, I had to hang out with owners of used record stores, who were 3 times my age, to find a fan!
Over the years, I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter if anyone else liked the music I loved! I was happy with it and that was the important part.
At least one thing is good, my husband doesn't hate Fleetwood Mac! Of course, he doesn't love them to the extent that I do, but he enjoys them. He likes Christine the best. I got lucky there!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Momma loves them and my sister worships the ground that Lindsey walks on We're a bit FM crazy in this residence. All 3 of us watched The Dance twice over the day it arrived, together

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My mom thinks it ridiculous. She gets annoyed when she comes to my house because I have so many records and photos displayed. But over the years I think she has become more accepting, and just treats it like it's another part of me.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A friend of mine said that when he listens to me talk about the Mac, it's a National Velvet moment for him (he's Mickey Rooney, I'm Liz Taylor):

Paraphrase:

Quote:
Liz: [going on and on and on about horses]

Mickey: Oh, I'm kinda sick of horses now. blah

Liz: Well, you better get over that because I LOVE them!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think they realise the extent of my love for Stevie/FM. I got a raised eyebrow from my mother when I told her I was going to the concert, and my father asked a couple weeks later "and Sanne, how was the Supertramp-concert?" FLEETWOOD MAC DAD!!!

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My family doesin't care. Cause they know i go through periods of obsession with many bands. My Fiancee Jessica loves the Mac almost as much I do. So that's amazing.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Obviously, some of the younger Ledgies have parents who aren't too thrilled about their love for Fleetwood Mac. I'm wondering about everyone else's experiences.

I think my family thought I was 'strange' for liking such 'old music' (this was in the mid 80s) My mom liked almost nothing by the members of FM (aside from Dreams & Edge of Seventeen). My dad thought they were okay, but didn't get why I was crazy for them. My siblings hated FM.
Most people I went to school with thought I was off the wall. I met a few students over the years who liked FM, but not many. Mostly, I had to hang out with owners of used record stores, who were 3 times my age, to find a fan!
Over the years, I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter if anyone else liked the music I loved! I was happy with it and that was the important part.
At least one thing is good, my husband doesn't hate Fleetwood Mac! Of course, he doesn't love them to the extent that I do, but he enjoys them. He likes Christine the best. I got lucky there!
Your Story is very similar to mine, i got into them about 87/88 when i was about 12/13. My mum hated them, my dad was ok with them but i played them obsessively so he used to get fed up with them. I managed to get a couple of my friends into them and they are still fans to this day allbeit not as mad as me, most of my other friends were into the Stock, aitken and waterman dross that dominated the uk charts at the time (i regularly got the p*** taken out of me at school when' i'd rather jack ' came out) My Dad liked them more when he took me to see the Behind the mask tour at wembley when he was forced to admit what a great live band they were. Now my partner likes a couple of songs 'The Chain' and 'Tusk' which he can remember as a little kid (I can't he is 4 years older than me though) and he loves 'Holiday Road'.
And my 5 year old picks out Lindsey in every photo of that lineup that i have and i'm quite happy with that!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazlightyear View Post
Your Story is very similar to mine, i got into them about 87/88 when i was about 12/13. My mum hated them, my dad was ok with them but i played them obsessively so he used to get fed up with them. I managed to get a couple of my friends into them and they are still fans to this day allbeit not as mad as me, most of my other friends were into the Stock, aitken and waterman dross that dominated the uk charts at the time (i regularly got the p*** taken out of me at school when' i'd rather jack ' came out) My Dad liked them more when he took me to see the Behind the mask tour at wembley when he was forced to admit what a great live band they were. Now my partner likes a couple of songs 'The Chain' and 'Tusk' which he can remember as a little kid (I can't he is 4 years older than me though) and he loves 'Holiday Road'.
And my 5 year old picks out Lindsey in every photo of that lineup that i have and i'm quite happy with that!
Where are those Reynold girls now?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My family/significant other(owait) don't know, my friends think it's... actually I don't know, I think they're under the impression that I only love Stevie I love them all equally, but some are more equal than others(Mick )
Old 05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Where are those Reynold girls now?
I dread to think, probably gearing themselves up for an appearance on Jeremy Kyle
Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My parents are fans, so they don't mind at all. My mom loves Stevie.

Some of my friends are casual fans, and the rest don't care one way or another. But boyfriends.... none of them have liked FM. One particular ex especially hated Stevie. Said she sounded like a vibrator wrapped in wax paper.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I dread to think, probably gearing themselves up for an appearance on Jeremy Kyle
Classy, classy ladies

Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Supporting Ledgie

My mom liked Fleetwood Mac at one time (in her younger days)... she's very conservative Christian so she doesn't listen to "secular" music anymore. But I remember when "The Dance" came out... I caught her singing Rhiannon once or twice

My brother likes Fleetwood Mac slightly less than I do... My sister likes them well enough (although she tends to listen to stuff like TOOL, and what not)

Dad liked early Fleetwood Mac (he hated Stevie Nicks) but did have Fleetwood Mac, Rumours (and I think Tusk) on LP

My wife likes them well enough, but she's not a music connoisseur so much. She either likes something, or doesn't... but she doesn't buy CDs or go to concerts, etc.

Last edited by mylittledemon; 05-05-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Almost everyone at my school was into Metal/Hair Bands like Metallica, Guns n Roses, etc.! They thought what I loved was for 'geezers'!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilthefirefades View Post
My mom thinks it ridiculous. She gets annoyed when she comes to my house because I have so many records and photos displayed. But over the years I think she has become more accepting, and just treats it like it's another part of me.
I think at this point, my mom just accepts it. I mean, I'm 35 and been a fan of Lindsey for almost 26 years!!