User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
David, you know good and well that people have waited with bated breath to talk to you.

Michele
Well, come on, Michele & Nico. Let's talk about our views & feelings on the Carol Harris book. I came away from what I had read being quite skeptical of general descriptions because of Carol's hyperromantic language. I felt throughout most of the book (quite frankly) that she was deliberately building mythic resonance. I was also quite suspect of her little-girl-lost persona.

On a purely factual level, I figured the book was about on par with other recent Mac books.

What do you guys think?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read it when it first came out. I think she comes across as a little too wide-eyed innocent. She wasn't that naive. She left home and went to the big city for a reason. She had been in a relationship and had a baby that she gave up for adoption, with a man in the music business. She acts like Lindsey had a such a hold on her.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I felt throughout most of the book (quite frankly) that she was deliberately building mythic resonance.
Are you accusing Carol of being loose with the truth to hurt Lindsey and make some bucks? David, I'm surprised at you. You know you can't be a real FM fan if you don't make snide comments about Lindsey in the 70's, Carol's just a closet fan, she just happens to hide it (really well).

On a serious note, my favourite Carol comments are about Lindsey at the music awards. Read that segment of the book and anyone tell me they have faith in the woman afterwards.

- Spike
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Yeah, it's really good, definitely worth a read and more intelligent and better written that the majority of Mac books. It's more about the music scene and the reasons why Rumours was able to become such a huge hit rather than the drama within the group (although of course that is documented). It's pretty fascinating, especially since most of the factors that made it a hit are pretty much missing in music today.
I would totally recommend it if you want a non-gossipy, factually based book. The fact that Carroll actually interviewed people for the book rather than fill it with quotes from magazine articles counts a lot too, I think.

It arrived today in the mail!

Thanks Trackie! I'll read it soon!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post

When you're done reading it, we can discuss it, & compare & contrast it with the various other books.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I just finished reading it. I must say: I never wanted it to end. She ( cath carroll) took me into my fandom again from an angle I've never been able to look from all by myself. It's a tremendous good book, although it doesn't really bring what it promises: Basicly focussing on the making of Rumours. It goes alot further. I love the whole embedding of that Rumourspart: it's quite a complete sounding history of the "californian cocain trilogy-era" of the band.

Now I want that book about Tusk.

NOW!!!

Last edited by shackin'up; 05-02-2009 at 04:34 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

NOW!!!
Wow, me too. Finally a book that's not about Rumours.

I've had that book by Carroll for years now, and I've never read it thinking I already knew everything there is to know about Rumours. Guess I should read it.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Wow, me too. Finally a book that's not about Rumours.

I've had that book by Carroll for years now, and I've never read it thinking I already knew everything there is to know about Rumours. Guess I should read it.
it's not solely about rumours. It gives a great respectful view of the band and it's members during the heydays. read it!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just finished reading it. I must say: I never wanted it to end. She ( cath carroll) took me into my fandom again from an angle I've never been able to look from all by myself. It's a tremendous good book, although it doesn't really bring what it promises: Basicly focussing on the making of Rumours. It goes alot further. I love the whole embedding of that Rumourspart: it's quite a complete sounding history of the "californian cocain trilogy-era" of the band.

NOW!!!
See, I knew you would love it! I really liked that it didn't just say, Rumours was successful because of the romantic break-ups in the band, etc, etc, it described the record industry at the time and showed how radio and the marketing and promotion was a huge, huge reason for why it went on to do so well.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Just put in a lot of new photos & I'll be pleased.
No photos in any of the 33 1/3 books I'm afraid! I've only got a couple, they are short but well written (pocket sized too). Another cool thing about them: Joe Pernice (of the Pernice Brothers) wrote one of them (I think it was on The Smiths), Colin Meloy from The Decemberists wrote the one on The Replacements' Let It Be and Bill Janovitz of Buffalo Tom wrote the one on the Stones' Exile On Main St. They are a real music lovers' series of books.
I wish they would let me write one
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
See, I knew you would love it! I really liked that it didn't just say, Rumours was successful because of the romantic break-ups in the band, etc, etc, it described the record industry at the time and showed how radio and the marketing and promotion was a huge, huge reason for why it went on to do so well.

exactly. And that society was ready for it. I always say: in the second half of the seventies the subject of "divorce" began to grow as a real discussiontopic, not only something to be ashamed about....

Old 05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really liked that it didn't just say, Rumours was successful because of the romantic break-ups in the band, etc, etc, it described the record industry at the time and showed how radio and the marketing and promotion was a huge, huge reason for why it went on to do so well.
I was a goofy kid in late grade school/junior high at the time in Southern California, the home of Fleetwood Mac, & here's what I saw: "Rumours" & Fleetwood Mac weren't all that popular with kids my age, but they were popular with college-age people. And those songs were played on the radio all the time, too. But my generation at that point was listening to Cheap Trick ("Live at Budokan" was the big one), Aerosmith ("Dream On"), & Van Halen ("Running With the Devil"). (Also Journey, Styx, Foreigner ... all that crud.) Some of the hipper kids were listening to Pink Floyd or Steve Miller. But very few actually liked "Dreams" or "Don't Stop" or whatever. That was the college students (& older). Fleetwood Mac -- in its heyday -- was even more of a band for adults than it is today. A lot of people don't realize that.

That's my view of the 11 to 14 year olds in the Los Angeles 'burbs in 1977.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenageMac View Post

"Fleetwood Mac's Tusk" by Rob Trucks to be released March 2010. Sounds like a very interesting book and I can't wait for it to be released. I'm sure I'll be buying it.

http://www.continuumbooks.com/Books/...&BookID=131532
When I clicked the link , I was hoping it would be a book int he 33 1/3 series, and it is! I have a couple of these, and I love them.
Here is the list of the previous books:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33%E2%85%93
Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tusk 33 1/3 book due in March '10

I really like this series, and Tusk is a great choice!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never heard of that series before, but cool! Thanks for the heads up.