The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question What's your favorite FM documentary?

Just curious to see what you guys will choose, and for what reason..most comprehensive, best footage, etc...

I would have to say, having recently found a lot more of the outtake footage I'd never seen before, the Fleetwood Mac (Documentary & Live Concert) aka the Tusk doc, is my favorite to watch at the moment. I love how the interviews are set up, you're sort of taken into each artists isolated world, which I think really shows off the diversity of the songwriters in the band. I think it could've been a little longer, and from the Going Home doc footage of Lindsey recording in his house, it seems like there is probably a lot of cool footage unused. But other than that, I think the pacing is great, mixing up the tour footage with the recording, interviews, random stuff...
Destiny Rules is great, but some of the drama king/queen stuff is just too annoying to watch.
What's your favorite?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a hard question, because I like all of them for very different reasons. Although I've been obsessed with the Tusk Doc lately (and with good reason), I think my favorite is Destiny Rules. I just love the process it takes you through-- not only does it showcase the making of the album in all the technical aspects, but there is so much subtle emotion throughout the entire documentary that really reminds us that the making of Say You Will was the REAL reunion of the band. A greatest hits tour is one thing, but creating an entire new album together after so many years of distaste is the true accomplishment. Plus, we all know how emotional it was for them to make Rumours-- it must have always been difficult to walk into the studio every day after going through that in Sausalito, despite how many years have passed from those days in 1976. Plus, there's some hilarious moments out of La Nicks to enjoy
Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Tusk doc! Rosebud, too, if that really counts as a documentary.

I've only watched DR once. It was right after I got it. The only part I really liked was the singing fish.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk doc and the (1997)Making of Rumours
Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My favorite is the Disney documentary from '93, Going Home I think it's called. That was a really interesting doc that showed a lot of great clips and concert footage from throughout the years.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Going Home" had some excellent footage in the early part but skidded to a stop when it hit 1982. From that point on, it relied solely on footage from the commercially released concert videos & just died on the vine.

My favorite doc is the 20/20 episode from ABC in 1980. It's filled with great footage: Fleetwood Mac in concert in Cleveland, traveling on tour, picking up their 1978 Grammy, press conferences, Stevie Nicks on piano, and several then-new interviews. It was colorful & exciting for us Macheads who watched it air on TV (airing after an especially distasteful installment on seal-clubbing & factory-farming).

I also like the "Rocksteady" doc from British TV in 1990 -- rehearsing for the tour in Burbank, very candid interviews with surprising revelations, and decent history.

There have also been a couple of great short profiles of the band on TV over the years, including a "2 on the Town" featuring the band riding to the stage at the US Festival in golf carts, rehearsing "Hold Me," onstage US Festival performances of "Rhiannon" & other songs, & good interviews.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Would traders have "Going Home" and the 20/20 episode? I need them, apparently.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My favorite doc is the 20/20 episode from ABC in 1980. It's filled with great footage: Fleetwood Mac in concert in Cleveland, traveling on tour, picking up their 1978 Grammy, press conferences, Stevie Nicks on piano, and several then-new interviews. It was colorful & exciting for us Macheads who watched it air on TV (airing after an especially distasteful installment on seal-clubbing & factory-farming).
Sounds excellent. Anywhere I can find this, somewhere it's been uploaded? Torrent?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool seeing all of your all's opinions. The only one I own is DR, so I'd have to say that.... but MAN would I love to own the Tusk one.... is that sucker online somewhere?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love most of them, but Destiny Rules is simply fantastic. My only obvious complaint is it is sans Christine. Otherwise, it's well edited, very candid, and sobering.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Tusk Documentary is number one on my list.
Makes me sick to think of all the film that remains unreleased.

The Rosebud, Rumours Outtakes would have to be second.
At 3 1/2 hours, there's some good stuff on there, at least
for the die-hards.

Destiny Rules, not very exciting after one viewing. But I'm
very glad they decided to document this.

Going Home, pretty cool. Recorded this off the Disney Channel
in 1996.

Mick's documentary "Two Sticks and a Drum" (title?). It's worth it
just to see Stevie do her little hula dance.

Oh......I'm not sure where I'd put it on the list, but Lindsey's documentary
that was featured on "Live at Bass Hall" was pretty cool too.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Going Home" had some excellent footage in the early part but skidded to a stop when it hit 1982. From that point on, it relied solely on footage from the commercially released concert videos & just died on the vine.

I also like the "Rocksteady" doc from British TV in 1990 -- rehearsing for the tour in Burbank, very candid interviews with surprising revelations, and decent history.

There have also been a couple of great short profiles of the band on TV over the years, including a "2 on the Town" featuring the band riding to the stage at the US Festival in golf carts, rehearsing "Hold Me," onstage US Festival performances of "Rhiannon" & other songs, & good interviews.
My God - I haven't heard of any of these! How is that possible? Does anyone have copies they'd be willing to burn/trade for me? pm me with information. Of course I'm happy to reimburse any costs. Postage/dvds etc.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

My God - I haven't heard of any of these! How is that possible? Does anyone have copies they'd be willing to burn/trade for me? pm me with information. Of course I'm happy to reimburse any costs. Postage/dvds etc.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Ditto! I've been looking around but throwndown.net and I still don't get along...
Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Destiny Rules, no doubt!!! But also the Rumours tour backstage footage and Rosebud, if that counts