Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Caillat Says Christine Likes Book

WFJA 105.5
http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/...dio-squabbles/

Rumours Producer Ken Caillat Recalls Fleetwood Mac’s Studio Squabbles
23 May 2012

In his new memoir, Making Rumours, veteran producer Ken Caillat tells the story of his eventful year-long experience helping Fleetwood Mac record one of the most acclaimed and successful albums of all time, 1977′s Rumours. Caillat began the project as an engineer, but as the band members observed the important contributions he was making to the recording sessions, he was promoted to co-producer along with close collaborator Richard Dashut.

Fans familiar with the history of Fleetwood Mac know that all five band mates were going through major personal turmoil during the making of Rumours. At the time, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were in the process of breaking up, John McVie and Christine McVie were headed for a divorce, and Mick Fleetwood‘s own marriage also was on the rocks. Caillat gives an eyewitness account of some of the dramatic group conflicts. He also shares fascinating details about the studio techniques and tricks used to mold the record’s many classic tunes.

Caillat tells ABC News Radio that being a part of the volatile and passionate sessions was unlike any other recording project he’s ever experienced.

“I had this minor position in the record as it started out [but eventually] I grew to be a part of the family and…got to have a lot more opinions,” he explained. “But when they started throwing Champagne in each other’s face and yelling at each other, I said, ‘This is not normal.’”

The producer also admits that he may have inadvertently instigated some fights amongst the band mates by simply asking them to sing the lyrics of the new tunes they were writing for the album, many of which, of course, were inspired by the group members’ relationship woes.

“It never dawned on me that the lyrics were painful to another person in the room,” he says. “I never caught the connection that while I asked them to sing the song, normally a fight would break out somewhat after that, and it became contagious with the other breaking-up band members.”

Caillat tells ABC News Radio that one of the most impressive things about the entire experience for him was how Fleetwood Mac’s members were able to persevere through the conflicts to create an iconic recording.

“It’s the great American story about a bunch of kids, really, getting together and saying, ‘You know what? We’re gonna push all the adversity aside,” he explains. “‘We’re gonna forge on and make a great record because that’s what we need to do and that’s what we want to do.’”

Caillat’s book doesn’t always paint the group in the most flattering light. For example, he recounts a number of occasions when Buckingham’s behavior is abusive and immature, and also details John McVie’s struggle with alcohol abuse.

Meanwhile, Caillat admits that he’s only heard feedback about his book from one Mac member, Christine McVie, who gave the Making Rumours a big thumbs-up.

“Christine, about a month ago, called me and she said, ‘Ken, thank you so much for writing the book,’” he reports. “She says, ‘I just love it…It really put passion back into music for me [and] I love how you portrayed me.”

Visit MakingRumours.com to find out more about the book. The site features photos, a sample chapter, and a schedule of Caillat’s book-signing events.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Meanwhile, Caillat admits that he’s only heard feedback about his book from one Mac member, Christine McVie, who gave the Making Rumours a big thumbs-up.

“Christine, about a month ago, called me and she said, ‘Ken, thank you so much for writing the book,’” he reports. “She says, ‘I just love it…It really put passion back into music for me [and] I love how you portrayed me.”
Admittedly I haven't read the book yet.
But I'd be more inclined to believe this
if it were Barry instead of Christine.

Thanking Ken for writing the book and
saying it "put the passion back into the
music for me" is a little hard for me to
believe.

If the "passion" would be the catalyst
to drive her back to be part of the 5,
we'd all have something to thank Ken for.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for posting this Michele. 'Bout time someone in this band stood behind Ken, and I'm not surprised that it was Christine. Perhaps she's the only member of the band that has any real chutzpeh! Ken's book has integrity--he told the story as he saw it, and didn't make himself out to be a saint. How many guys would own up to getting "crabs"? He put it all out there despite his own daughter's career on the ascent and the possible embarassment of his entire family. If you haven't gotten the book, I do recommend it! I hope he pushes on and writes about Tusk.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
If it were just the catalyst to drive her to do another solo album, we'd have something to thank ken for.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
believe.
I agree. Too bad that Christine is the least likely to do interviews in the future.

Michele
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Too bad that Christine is the least likely to do interviews in the future.

Michele

Maybe she's saving everything for her
autobiography. That could certainly be
an interesting book.

If she writes one, ButterCookie had
better get me a signed copy.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. Too bad that Christine is the least likely to do interviews in the future.

Michele
If she doesn't even answer her phone....
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
If she doesn't even answer her phone....
Hey, once you put the passion back into her music, you are number 1 on her speed dial.

Michele
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Admittedly I haven't read the book yet.
But I'd be more inclined to believe this
if it were Barry instead of Christine.

believe.

Why so cynical?

Ken wrote a book about his experiences working with the band.
Christine read the book and regained some musical inspiration.

Ken's book was not written with the intention of motivating Christine to rejoin Fleetwood Mac,
so no back-handed thanks are needed.

However, it's great to hear that Christine still has some musical passion in her.
She's done with Fleetwood Mac; I have huge respect for her making that decision.

I'm impressed by her high level of integrity.
I would love for her
to do another
solo
album.

yeah

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-31-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Why so cynical?

Ken wrote a book about his experiences working with the band.
Christine read the book and regained some musical inspiration.

Ken's book was not written with the intention of motivating Christine to rejoin Fleetwood Mac,
so no back-handed thanks are needed.

However, it's great to hear that Christine still has some musical passion in her.
She's done with Fleetwood Mac; I have huge respect for her making that decision.

yeah

No offence to Ken, but I don't believe that Christine
said what was quoted from him. If anything was said
at all, what was repeated was probably an exaggeration.

I've read enough bio's (not that this is exactly that) to
know if you don't see an unedited video taped interview
from the person quoted, then take what you read with a
grain of salt.

You mentioned the word "needed". I disagree. Ken needs
confirmation of his story to help sell books.

I never mentioned anything about not respecting Christine
for her decision to leave the group.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No offence to Ken, but I don't believe that Christine
said what was quoted from him. If anything was said
at all, what was repeated was probably an exaggeration.
I'd agree. I've never heard her speak with such hyperbole. If anything, she understates things rather than enthuses. If all she'd said was that reliving those times through his words gave her goose flesh I might have bought it. But it gave her back her musical passion?? Uh, yeah. Maybe she went dotty in her old age.

Michele
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Co-producer of Fleetwod Mac's 'Rumours' appearing in Northvale for book signing
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
BY KARA YORIO
STAFF WRITER
The Record

WHAT: Signing of Ken Caillat's "Making Rumours"

WHEN: 7 tonight

WHERE: Books & Greetings, 271 Livingston St., Northvale; 201-784-2665 or booksandgreetings.com

HOW MUCH: Free with purchase of book ($25.95)

For three months, the game room in record producer Ken Caillat's home acted as a time machine, taking him back to the mid-'70s and a crazy, exhausting, exhilarating period in his life that culminated in the Album of the Year Grammy.

"For three months, I was 29 again," says Caillat, who co-produced Fleetwood Mac's famed "Rumours" album. "And it was great fun."

The result of that time surrounded by track sheets, studio logs and interviews was "Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album," which Caillat will be signing tonight in Northvale.

The book is a tale of the classic staples of rock — sex, drugs, arguments, egos, a lot of late nights and drinking — and, almost amazingly, one of the seminal albums of all time. It combines technical details with stories of crazy personal dramas.

"We got to do an amazing thing," Caillat says. "Favorite story? I've got thousands of them. I'm the luckiest guy in the world. I don't feel bad when I don't win the Lotto now."

Making tonight's signing particularly special, Ken's daughter, singer Colbie Caillat, will be there, too. The schedules came together perfectly. She has a concert Thursday night in Pomona, N.Y.

"I'm really glad she's going to be at this book signing with me," Ken Caillat says. "That's going to be a lot of fun."

Caillat now produces Colbie, and they're working on a Christmas album. It's a safe choice for her — he is, after all, a proven producer. That wasn't the case in 1976, when he started working for Fleetwood Mac. He was hired as an engineer but the band decided it needed more, and he and Richard Dashut became co-producers.

Unknown to Caillat when he took the job, his challenge would be about more than sound. Engineering and producing Fleetwood Mac — with members Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks — was a balancing act of drug and alcohol addictions, crumbling relationships, jealousies and musical egos.

Fans of Fleetwood Mac and tales of rock excess will enjoy the book, which also takes a little bit of the musical magic out of the album-making process. These musicians were incredibly talented, but according to Caillat, nothing on the album is unadulterated sound. And that was one of his reasons for writing the book, as well.

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_ente..._creation.html
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In his book "Making Rumours," record producer Ken Caillat recounts with humor and detail the tumultuous year of betrayal, drama and rock ‘n' roll excess behind recording Fleetwood Mac's 1977 "Rumours" album, which has sold over 40 million copies.

Caillat, who counts Billy Idol, The Beach Boys and Alice Cooper among his many producing credits along with Fleetwood Mac, has more recently been instrumental in the career of his singer-songwriter daughter Colbie Caillat, who has sold over 6 million albums worldwide and scored a major hit with "Bubbly."

Ahead of Father's Day on June 17, Reuters spoke with the talented dad-daughter team that is currently working on a Christmas album, and they spoke of collaborating and how the music industry has changed since "Rumours."

Q: What made you decide to write the book, Ken?

Ken: "I couldn't listen to the album. I heard it as all work. I knew that I spent 14 hours a day on it. Up until a few years ago, I still had dreams, rather nightmares, about being in that studio. I thought it would help to write the book. I decided to in 2009. First, I did extensive research and got access to Warner Bros. Records' vaults of the recording sessions. Then I started writing. I got up at 7 a.m. and wrote it by the fireplace every day for about 90 days."

Colbie: "I love the book because it's about the band's personalities and what it takes to make a record like that. It's really cool for people who are fans of Fleetwood Mac to get the inside look. I was reading it on the plane and after each chapter, I'd listen to the song the chapter was discussing."

Q: How does working with Colbie compare with your experience with Fleetwood Mac?

Ken: "Fleetwood Mac was always pushy, cantankerous, opinionated and inebriated. Fast forward 30 years, and the whole situation is clean. Nobody smokes in the studio night or day. With Colbie, we just focus on the music. You can do things faster and cheaper now. We had 365 days to make 'Rumours.' When I talked with (former Fleetwood Mac singer) Stevie Nicks recently, she was about to make a record and told me she had only 13 days to record."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,4623141.story
Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
When I talked with (former Fleetwood Mac singer) Stevie Nicks recently, she was about to make a record and told me she had only 13 days to record."
Is he talking about In Your Dreams or a brand new album?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
Is he talking about In Your Dreams or a brand new album?
I'm thinking a new one.In Your Dreams took almost a year.