Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Then Play On.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustboy71 View Post
I’m a highly aware obsessive of everything 1975 onwards... but I want to begin with the pre era... what’s the best album to start with?
I'd start with Bare Trees.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Start with the first album, which is called 'Fleetwood Mac' but commonly referred to as 'Dog and Dustbin' (because of the cover) and work your way forward through time. It's the best way to make sense of the personnel and stylistic changes. If you don't "like" blues or have never really listened to that style of music, be patient and spend some time listening. I think you'll enjoy at least some of the music from that era.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can I be the lone voice for the Penguin album? It contains what must be one of my favourite (if not my favourite) FM track of all time - The Derelict.

I list Walker as my second favourite male vocalist of all time after Bob Dylan, but then again, maybe that's just me.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustboy71 View Post
I’m a highly aware obsessive of everything 1975 onwards... but I want to begin with the pre era... what’s the best album to start with?
It depends on what you're hoping for. If you want smooth, mid-tempo pop expertise, MYSTERY TO ME and HEROES are pretty sophisticated. MYSTERY is usually bright, catchy, and clever. It's only downfall (I think) is the way it was recorded--too close to the speakers with little dynamic shifts. That's probably the result of using the RS Mobile Unit. HEROES is moodier, darker, and honestly more difficult to listen to, in part because Welch was clearly transitioning from folkie mystic to jazz-medal sophisticate. But the actual sound of the recording far surpasses MYSTERY--and Christine's contributions to both albums are excellent.

PENGUIN is spotty and usually dismissed as a transitional record, but what works on it actually has genuine warmth and vitality. All of Christine's songs are really well done, and Welch's hippie mysticism manifests itself as folk (Bright Fire), jazz (Nightwatch) and pressure-cooker jam rock (Revelation). I think both the David Walker songs are well performed but out of place on the record.

BARE TREES and FUTURE GAMES are probably the most consistent and quality recordings from the era, thanks in large part to Kirwan. Christine was still growing (as a vocalist and songwriter) though Welch started with a lot of strength. FUTURE GAMES plays out like one gorgeous sigh across both sides, a gorgeous mix of acoustic and electric instrumentation with a lot of dynamic elements. Kirwan's three songs are lovely; Christine's "Show Me a Smile" is simple and VERY effective; and both of Welch's contributions (the epic, moody, Pink Floyd-esque title song and a hard-rock blues tune) are fantastic. BARE TREES is as fine as FUTURE GAMES though this time the soft, dynamic sound has been replaced with a harder-edged blues rock. All of Kirwan's tunes alternately charge and sting; Christine's "Spare Me" shows her moving towards a more confident pop; and Welch's "Sentimental Lady" is a charming love song. But it's Kirwan's album, really--unlike FUTURE GAME which feels more like a group effort.

As someone already mentioned, of the pre 1971-74 albums, THEN PLAY ON is a universal classic. My personal favorite is KILN HOUSE, which mixes the acid-rock blues of the former with California Sun Sound of the late 50s. It's not for everyone--but I simply love it.

Beyond this, a Blue Horizon package would suffice for the 1967-68 material.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 09-06-2018 at 01:24 PM..
Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It depends on what you're hoping for. If you want smooth, mid-tempo pop expertise, MYSTERY TO ME and HEROES are pretty sophisticated. MYSTERY is usually bright, catchy, and clever. It's only downfall (I think) is the way it was recorded--too close to the speakers with little dynamic shifts. That's probably the result of using the RS Mobile Unit. HEROES is moodier, darker, and honestly more difficult to listen to, in part because Welch was clearly transitioning from folkie mystic to jazz-medal sophisticate. But the actual sound of the recording far surpasses MYSTERY--and Christine's contributions to both albums are excellent.

PENGUIN is spotty and usually dismissed as a transitional record, but what works on it actually has genuine warmth and vitality. All of Christine's songs are really well done, and Welch's hippie mysticism manifests itself as folk (Bright Fire), jazz (Nightwatch) and pressure-cooker jam rock (Revelation). I think both the David Walker songs are well performed but out of place on the record.

BARE TREES and FUTURE GAMES are probably the most consistent and quality recordings from the era, thanks in large part to Kirwan. Christine was still growing (as a vocalist and songwriter) though Welch started with a lot of strength. FUTURE GAMES plays out like one gorgeous sigh across both sides, a gorgeous mix of acoustic and electric instrumentation with a lot of dynamic elements. Kirwan's three songs are lovely; Christine's "Show Me a Smile" is simple and VERY effective; and both of Welch's contributions (the epic, moody, Pink Floyd-esque title song and a hard-rock blues tune) are fantastic. BARE TREES is as fine as FUTURE GAMES though this time the soft, dynamic sound has been replaced with a harder-edged blues rock. All of Kirwan's tunes alternately charge and sting; Christine's "Spare Me" shows her moving towards a more confident pop; and Welch's "Sentimental Lady" is a charming love song. But it's Kirwan's album, really--unlike FUTURE GAME which feels more like a group effort.

As someone already mentioned, of the pre 1971-74 albums, THEN PLAY ON is a universal classic. My personal favorite is KILN HOUSE, which mixes the acid-rock blues of the former with California Sun Sound of the late 50s. It's not for everyone--but I simply love it.

Beyond this, a Blue Horizon package would suffice for the 1967-68 material.
To me this is a pretty much perfect summation...though I'd be one of the people for whom Kiln House isn't for (save for a few songs).

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Can I be the lone voice for the Penguin album? It contains what must be one of my favourite (if not my favourite) FM track of all time - The Derelict.
You're not the lone voice. I love that album and The Derelict. (See my old posts from the archives. I even posted the song chords at one time.)

Quote:
I list Walker as my second favourite male vocalist of all time after Bob Dylan, but then again, maybe that's just me.
I wouldn't go that far, so that is just you!

moviekinks.blogspot.com