Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Ooooh, OOTC. That's very interesting. That album is such a self-contained little unit, I wonder how the comparison plays out at this point in his career. And it's Very Exciting to get confirmation of a tour! Can't wait for my invasion!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
The issue with only releasing it to sell on his site is that not everyone has the internet. I didn't have a computer until about 2 years ago. I would have been extremely sad to have had an album released online and not be able to get it.
I meant that really as only part of it. He needs to get a distributor to get the album to stores. If FM releases a new one they could go the whole Wal-Mart route. It's worked well for others, but an LB solo is not in demand enough for a major distributor... though I wish it was. He'd be able to find something.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
It doesn't need to only be a digital copy. A lot of indie bands I like are able to press their own copies and actually come up with some neat album packages (merch combos and whatnot) because they're doing it themselves and will get the profit from the album sales. I think Lindsey would be able to find a way to get hard copies pressed to sell through his site and even distribute to record stores without having major label backing.
Now this is more of how I meant it to come across.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

NEW BUCKINGHAM CD Fleetwood Mac singer-guitarist Lindsay Buckingham has completed his third solo album in the past six years, according to Reuters. The 19-song album, ``Seeds We Sow,'' is expected to be released in September. Buckingham will then promote the album with a late summer-early fall tour. Fleetwood Mac, which is looking for a new record deal after more than 40 years at Warner Bros., is currently on hiatus. The Mac released its last album in 2003. In other Fleetwood Mac-related news, singer Stevie Nicks had to call off a number of shows in New York, including live showcase appearances on NBC's ``Today `` show and ``Good Day New York,'' due to pneumonia and flu. She plans of rescheduling the shows.``Her first solo album in a decade, ``In Your Dreams,'' produced by Dave Stewart, formerly of The Eurythmics, came out this week.

http://www.presstelegram.com/lifestyle/ci_17990662
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 19 songs on New Album

Wow - that is nearly double the quantity og GOS and UTS! I am now OK with She Smiled Seetly on it. Hopefully a version of Steve's Riff/Wear You Down makes it.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That is too many.

No wonder Stephanie is mad that he didn't save (some of) them for a Mac album (like she should talk, Ms. 13-14 tracks on a solo album). But I understand his need to release a real Gift of Screws--his solo epic.

And, of course, I can't wait. But 19!? For me, the flaw with OOTC is that it is too long.

So that means we've heard 7 of 19 tracks. WOW. There's 12 potential unknowns.

I'm just

zomg. That also means we'll get 14 new Stevie tracks and 19 new Lindsey tracks in one year. 19+14 = 33. That, in and of itself, is major cause for celebration. But also tinged with disappointment: That could have made the most epic double album since...

ETA (again): Also! This suggests that he and Stevie may be resolved to sitting down and writing songs as a band for the next Mac album.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 05-05-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hopehopehope that they are right but I have this awful feeling that they're getting confused with the fact that he played 19 songs at the Saban.

If there really are 19 songs on it then I will have the biggest grin on my face from now until the release!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
I hopehopehope that they are right but I have this awful feeling that they're getting confused with the fact that he played 19 songs at the Saban.

If there really are 19 songs on it then I will have the biggest grin on my face from now until the release!
I never saw any problem with a larger amount of songs on albums. If they each individually contribute something to an overall positive feel of the album, then they have every right to be there. I've always felt a little cheated when albums have had a severe lack in material. Some albums released have up to four songs on, and that just makes me put them back on the shelf until I can get them from an independent shop for a pound or something.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Instrumental Introductions

I believe there will be several instrumental introductions - in fact, we may have heard one at the Saban as he played a new instrumental introduction to Never Going Back Again. I like his instrumental introductions. On the FM Live album, his introduction to Over My Head is great. His Turner 1 solo introduction to Not That Funny on the Dance tour was outstanding, but never recorded on professional audio equipment. Hopefully there are no poems or spoken introductions as I don't care for those.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nineteen songs is a lot. I think it's hard to make a critical statement with that many songs.

I approve of longer FM albums, because you have multiple songwriters.

But I don't want Lindsey to have a solo album that long, especially since we've just had 2 recent solo albums from him. If there had been that long drought we had after OOTC, then yes I'd be all for it.

Lindsey, don't become Robert Pollard! I couldn't help poking Steve there.

I hope Peetsie is correct about the source of confusion.

Michele
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Nineteen songs is a lot. I think it's hard to make a critical statement with that many songs.

I approve of longer FM albums, because you have multiple songwriters.

But I don't want Lindsey to have a solo album that long, especially since we've just had 2 recent solo albums from him. If there had been that long drought we had after OOTC, then yes I'd be all for it.

Lindsey, don't become Robert Pollard! I couldn't help poking Steve there.

I hope Peetsie is correct about the source of confusion.

Michele
I completely agree. I still believe that all albums, unless they are designed as double albums, should be able to fit on a vinyl record. And double albums are for The Mac but not for Mac solo.

I am starting to think Peestsie might be correct as it's kinda random for that information to appear on that website but not other sources.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
my first thought exactly when i saw 19 - somebody was trying to make a story out of bits and pieces and saw he played 19 songs, so they concluded new album will have 19 songs.

i think it will be somewhere around 10 again.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default variety article

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...medium=twitter

ted: Sat., May. 7, 2011, 4:00am PT
Buckingham back with new music
Singer-songwriter takes indie route

By Andrew Barker
Lindsey Buckingham

Lindsey Buckingham leads Fleetwood Mac at a 2009 performance.
Fleetwood Mac is not a band that has needed much help selling records -- its 1977 landmark "Rumours" has been certified 19-times platinum -- yet its sales gained a significant boost over the past week, with "Glee's" "Rumours" episode drawing inspiration from the record, and bumping the LP up to No. 2 on the iTunes album charts.

The sudden re-ignition of interest in the band couldn't have come at a better time. The band's Stevie Nicks' new record "In Your Dreams" has also breached the iTunes top 10, and there are some familiar faces in the liner notes -- most notably her former bandmate and paramour Lindsey Buckingham.

Buckingham, fresh off receiving ASCAP's Golden Note lifetime achievement kudo, also has new record "Seeds We Sow" on the horizon for the end of summer. As he tells Variety, another Mac album is certainly in the cards, though he admits "dealing with a whole ensemble" can be a slow process.

Buckingham showed an affinity for newer bands such as Arcade Fire and the Dirty Projectors, and later shared a few cutting comments on the state of pop radio -- "They're starting to figure out that you can't go on forever without melody." Mac's music has also seen heavy chunks of its DNA resurface in contempo artists like Jenny Lewis, Taylor Swift and Ryan Adams, though Buckingham is hesitant to claim his share of the credit.

"I don't ever presume that people are (directly influenced by me)," he says, "but it's nice to know that even when you aren't always stoking the machine, people still remember what you've done."

Buckingham has been no stranger to the difficulties of stoking that machine, having drawn label ire with Mac's experimental "Rumors" follow-up, "Tusk," and he's upfront about his struggles to drum up the proper exec enthusiasm for "Seeds." ("Even Rob Cavallo tried to glom it off on some other label," he says, speaking of the WBR chairman.) Hence, he plans to release this one independently.

"If you make music with the left side of your palette, you're going to lose X amount of listeners," he says of his solo work. "That's the tradeoff."

Appropriately, Buckingham says he's "drawn more and more inward" for his new material, with his experiences of aging and late fatherhood -- Buckingham has three young children -- taking the place of the anger and recriminations that were once his most persistent themes.

And of course, fatherhood requires he record at a slower pace, with none of the all-nighter sessions that used to be Mac's stock and trade.

"Mick (Fleetwood) was the one who always wanted to stay up all night in the studio," he remembers. "He would usually bring out the cocaine after dinner, and I guess there was a certain element of 'when in Rome … .' "
Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder how accessible Seeds We Sow is going to be...other than online. I have grown to love physically going to the stores on release dates to get my copies.

Somehow I feel like that's not going to happen this time...
Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline79 View Post
I wonder how accessible Seeds We Sow is going to be...other than online. I have grown to love physically going to the stores on release dates to get my copies.

Somehow I feel like that's not going to happen this time...
Please don't say that I don't want it online, I want an actual CD!