User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
You are/were/will always be - the heart of Fleetwood Mac. To me, there IS no Fleetwood Mac, without you.
Beautifully put Homer.

I second that.

Gail
Old 03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm getting The Official Home of Virgin Steele when I type in the address now!

Jesus what next?

Gail
Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.christinemcvie.com/links.asp
The URL is apparently owned by Sanctuary, as they've given it to another band of theirs.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
http://www.christinemcvie.com/links.asp
The URL is apparently owned by Sanctuary, as they've given it to another band of theirs.

Can they do that?

Gail
Old 03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Can they do that?

Gail
I'm sure they own it, or they wouldn't do it.

Well, it's official. I'm finally deleting BOTH of my Chris Forum bookmarks. The real one, and the "patched" one we had.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Can they do that?

Gail
How truly bizaar!! It doesn't even make sense! How can another band have Christine's website let alone her name to their website, they will have to change it surely if they want to do any promoting. When was Christine's website first created, if I remember it wasn't long ago about the same time "In the meantime" came out. If so, I'm still not worried about the site leaving and the end of Christine's career. If or when Christine comes out with a new record they will more than likely create a new website again. They probably don't see Christine recording anytime soon, but I think in years to come there is going to be another album (when that happens, I could gladly, well not so gladly accept that one being the last), I just hope the gap isn't another 20 years!

"I do like my wine" - Christine McVie
Check out Myspace
Old 03-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is very bizarre. I've never heard of Virgin Steele. Obviously, Sanctuary is behind Chris' website disappearing. How can they have ChristineMcVie.com if Chris owns her domain name?

Like Homer, I'll delete my bookmark now.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have no idea who Virgin Steele is, but my guess is that their website showing up at ChristineMcVie.com is the result of somebody's mistake. Somebody owns a hosting plan with more than one website on it; one is ChristineMcVie.com and one is, say, VirginSteele.com, and the person blundered and put the files for the Virgin Steele website in the Christine McVie directory. You'd think the person who made this error would catch it, but it's an amazing fact that a lot of people design websites and never even go look at them to see how they look. (This is one of the reasons for the many dreadful websites out there.) This is my professional guess as to what is going on.

I went to my domain registration company (dotster) and ran what is called a "whois" -- you ask the internet who owns a domain. It wasn't at all informative for ChristineMcVie.com, but it did tell me that nobody owns "ChristineMcVie.net". That would be a perfectly acceptable alternative name for a Christine site. So ... if anybody wants to make a Christine McVie fan site, I'd suggest grabbing that URL while it's still available.

Most people don't realize how inexpensive having a web presence is. Owning a domain name for a year is typically around $12 (Dotster is having a sale right now for $2.50) and there are good economy web hosts that will host more than one website for fees like $6 a month.

If I wasn't already VERY busy with some other web projects (or if somebody was actually going to PAY me for doing this, ha ha ha), I'd start a ChristineMcVie.net fan site myself.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You are/were/will always be - the heart of Fleetwood Mac. To me, there IS no Fleetwood Mac, without you.

i have had the longest day (still at the office), but i logged on and saw this and it just made me smile. oddly it also made me tear up at the same time. . .but in a good way (does that make sense? i feel like i'm losing my mind right now).

sometimes i can't believe that i'll never hear her voice within the context of a fleetwood mac album again, and that just kills a part of me. but then i think of all that she's given and all that's left to look back on, and i'm so grateful.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and on another note, this virgin steele thing has to be a mistake. who would want their site under the URL of another artist's name? someone screwed up at sanctuary.

having said that, i do believe her site is gone for good now.

someone want to ask john in the q&a if he'll let her know that we miss it?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm CERTAINLY no internet expert, but I believe the "name" isn't where you're going. "ChristineMcVie.com" is assigned to an IP address(a long number). So, even though you're clicking on her name, it's merely linked to that number(which is what you're REALLY connecting to).

Sanctuary has reassigned that IP address to the new artist. They probably just forgot to remove the link to her name also.

^^^The above, is only my idiot's understanding of this stuff. It could all be wrong!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Ledgie

Sent an email to the address on that main page. Maybe if we all do we'll get some answers?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm CERTAINLY no internet expert, but I believe the "name" isn't where you're going. "ChristineMcVie.com" is assigned to an IP address(a long number). So, even though you're clicking on her name, it's merely linked to that number(which is what you're REALLY connecting to).

Sanctuary has reassigned that IP address to the new artist. They probably just forgot to remove the link to her name also.

^^^The above, is only my idiot's understanding of this stuff. It could all be wrong!
no you're right. the content lives on the IP. the URL name is like a mask, a mask behind which the IP hides if you will (god i am such a sad bastard right now) but someone had to physically go in and point the name to the IP. which is why it's weird.

logically they would have bought virgin steele their own name and then just pointed that to the IP where christine's stuff used to be.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac6k View Post
Sent an email to the address on that main page. Maybe if we all do we'll get some answers?
unfortunately i doubt it. gail and ian both were in touch with martin wyatt at one point, and even THAT didn't get us answers. other than talking to christine herself, i think we're at a loss. never hurts to try though!
Old 03-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
unfortunately i doubt it. gail and ian both were in touch with martin wyatt at one point, and even THAT didn't get us answers. other than talking to christine herself, i think we're at a loss. never hurts to try though!
I emailed Martin Wyatt last week about the disappeared website and he answered me this morning.

He says he's looking into getting someone to do a new site.

I don't know whether it will happen but we'll see.

I replied this morning and told him about the Virgin Steele situation.

Gail