User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots
Wait a minute. What is so strange about that? Really? You've never heard that expression? A few lashing of a wet noodle is a sarcastic remark implying that you needn't be seriously punished...it's not a big deal. There is nothing odd or lascivious about the expression...many people know it...

...like many people know the original version of "Here Comes the Sun".

Oh wait...that's right. You don't know the original version of one of the most famous songs in the world.
haha, don't worry, boots, i knew what you were talking about!!

regarding the original topic... i admire lindsey as a guitarist - i think he's amazing. in fact, i wish i had just the guitar track from this performance. however, as a cover of hcts, this did not work for me. i am not a huge beatles fan, so i don't feel that lindsey's version is an abomination, but i think he missed the mark here. the beauty of hcts lies in its simplicity, and lindsey strayed from that. but, y'know, it's his prerogative and all that
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
"disrespectful", yes. Considering that George had just passed away 5 or 6 weeks earlier and being on national TV as a "tribute to George", it was just too radical & disrespectful FOR that moment. But, that's still not my MAIN problem with the song....

AND for being a supposed "tribute", the song came off WAY too angst ridden and angry...and the lyrical intent of the song is neither.
I'd go along with that.

Lindsey is quoted in the past as "addressing issues in terms of the time they took place". Well I think the timing of this "effort" was wrong in terms of what it was representing, in this case a tribute to George. The emotions Lindsey generated were all wrong for that moment, all full of angst and aggression. The complex picking and arpeggio style isn't a problem if done in the correct taste. Something along the lines of Say Goodbye in terms of tempo, yet still challenging, would have been more suitable. Being told it was not going to get aired (I assume because ABC thought it sounded wrong for a tribute) only added to the angst as Lindsey threw both a tantrum and a Rennaisance the night before it aired. Cue the tortured artist again.

I still think it's a good guitar piece, if it was an instrumental!

Quote:
Yeah, and that is EXACTLY the reason I think it is crap. It's "complex" for "complex"es sake. "Here Comes The Sun" is a simple song with a simple, hopeful message, not some big complex opus with some "tortured artist" angst
Again, it can be complex but in a different way, as I said "Say Goodbye" is an example of this.

If you want to listen to a well executed example of a tribute to George listen to "Isn't It A Pity" by Eric Clapton and Billy Preston or even better "I'll See You In My Dreams" by Joe Brown. Both at the Harrison tribute gig and both heartfelt and honest.

I'm still left wondering why, of all the artists ABC could have asked to do a tribute to George, Lindsey got the gig.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester
So you don't think it is extraordinarily complex? As all of his songs in 6/8 are, it has some major "brain teaser" parts, to quote John.

In general, the I see this performance (especially now that I know so many people hate it) as Lindsey's last hurrah as a sort of rebel and non-conformist kind of guy.
And what you see as disrespectful, I see as that Tusk mentalitly coming through one last time.
Amen.

There's a Chester out there. Good God I'm glad I don't stand alone.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By the way...I am convinced that Lindsey will stay the tormented artist until he dies. It's his muse, and weird sh*t came out of him. I wish all the " i liked him until he became a whiny spoiled childish jealous I wannabe different-freak "-fans a very happy life, but I'm not waiting for an album full of peacekeepers. I want him to keep walking the Ledge-also if that means he falls off every now and then.

Well, having said that, I'm basicly waiting for an album.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
I want him to keep walking the Ledge-also if that means he falls off every now and then.
I want him to give up playing guitar and go back to competetive swimming & waterpolo.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I want him to give up playing guitar and go back to competetive swimming & waterpolo.
I want him to go run the coffee business...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I want you two to switch to gay and fock off to the Stevie forum.

KABENG. NO RESPONSE possible. Finally I win. Feels good.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I want you two to switch to gay and fock off to the Stevie forum.

KABENG. NO RESPONSE possible. Finally I win. Feels good.

May all the dikes (and dykes) crack & flood your home.

There. I run rings around you logically.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gerald, as Chili is on the subject of national stereotypes.

Remember the boy with the finger in the dam? A hero.

But if Lindsey had played "Here Comes The Sun" to him the fingers would have gone in the ears and your nation would have flooded....

Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
Gerald, as Chili is on the subject of national stereotypes.

Remember the boy with the finger in the dam? A hero.

But if Lindsey had played "Here Comes The Sun" to him the fingers would have gone in the ears and your nation would have flooded....

Good one!
Old 03-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

I find it humorous that Lindsey's version of "Here Comes the Sun" and "appreciation" would even be in the same sentence. I love the Buck, but damn did he butcher that tune! The finger picking was nice, but it sounded like he was making up some riffs from another song, and trying to pass it off as 'Here Comes the Sun'. What's even more sucky, he's more than capable of doing a semi-faithful rendition of the tune. Now THAT would have been something.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon
I find it humorous that Lindsey's version of "Here Comes the Sun" and "appreciation" would even be in the same sentence. I love the Buck, but damn did he butcher that tune! The finger picking was nice, but it sounded like he was making up some riffs from another song, and trying to pass it off as 'Here Comes the Sun'. What's even more sucky, he's more than capable of doing a semi-faithful rendition of the tune. Now THAT would have been something.
I couldn't agree more.

(Gerald 6 - ChiliD 10 )

Last edited by madformac; 03-17-2006 at 02:42 PM..
Old 03-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
I couldn't agree more.
I could't agree less. The beatles did a faithful rendition. Who the h*ll is waiting for faithfull renditions? Screw them. Lindsey's the best butcher in town. You know what I think is grey faceless rubbish? That perfect cover of Love minus zero. Well done. But faceless and 13 in a dozen.

But hey, every Clapton/Knopfleraddict has his home in Thirteen-in-a-dozen. I knew that.

-sigh-

Old 03-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I could't agree less. The beatles did a faithful rendition. Who the h*ll is waiting for faithfull renditions? Screw them. Lindsey's the best butcher in town. You know what I think is grey faceless rubbish? That perfect cover of Love minus zero. Well done. But faceless and 13 in a dozen.

But hey, every Clapton/Knopfleraddict has his home in Thirteen-in-a-dozen. I knew that.

-sigh-
I don't think this horse is dead yet.

I'm just thankful that Lindsey only did "Here Comes The Sun" the one time and hasn't tried to shove it down our throats via CD & DVD ever since (DID YA HEAR THAT, MICK?!?). One shot, over & done with. I DO have to commend Lindsey on THAT.

I just really blame the trogladytes that started distributing the mp3 all over the damn planet. It just is one of those performances that the fewer ears that experience it, the better.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

-sigh-
Hey dude! I thought you had fallen off this thread. Nice to see you back!

I actually liked his version of Love Minus Zero (I've been told my travis picked version is better ) and I thought it was nicely done. NOW an example of a well thought out cover, that is different from the original without falling into the tasteless/unstructured catagory that HCTS is in is the Rumours forum in the form of nightbird28's Go Insane. (If you can get it)