User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

I also think it's a reductive mistake to attribute the energy of the 1982 performance to drugs. I think I've made this argument before. You don't perform better on drugs: you might perform freer or looser (or even the opposite, you might clam up) but not better. The band jamming on "Not That Funny" or "The Chain" in the 1982 show is not "drugs." It's energy, commitment, musicianship & confidence.

This goes for the whole post and the quote especially: I couldn't have said it better. the difference between rock and roll and televised pop, although you can see in GYOW and Come and ISA that the energy is still in Lindsey: Def. no drugs. Not that he didnt take them, but they were certainly not the reason of the wickedness, edgyness or energy of the performance.

Last edited by shackin'up; 06-14-2005 at 11:28 AM..
Old 06-14-2005, 12:03 PM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking

wasnt Linds smoking the reefer on one of the tunes on the Mirage show? I seem to remember John trying to catch a whiff of it. Looked like a joint to me anyhow.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
the beauty of the older performance is that it's Fleetwood Mac. I used to assume most Fleetwood Mac fans wanted to hear Fleetwood Mac & not a sonic wall of hardware seepage, but I guess I was wrong because I think thousands of people prefer the later shows (which are, to be fair to them, better produced cinematically & certainly benefit from state-of-the-art camera work & 5.1 sound).
I agree. I'll always regret not being able to see them live during the earlier days, 'cause we'll NEVER see 'em like that again. (I was 12 when the Mirage tour came through Atlanta....my mom wasn't taking her 12-year-old to Atlanta to see Fleetwood Mac...I'm a cooler mom....)

I was THRILLED to finally be able to see them live during the SYW tour...but the earlier performances will always be my favorite.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the drugs played a part in what their performances were, but maybe it's unfair to attribute their performances to them. I think you made a good point about the over-production of the shows today, like The Dance and LIB. Part of the charm of Mirage is that you're watching Fleetwood Mac, not a cast of thousands. You get to hear what they actually sounded like. There are no canned speeches or well-rehearsed antics or dances. Stevie runs out at the last millisecond for Gypsy. She kneels down mid-song to pick up flowers her fans have thrown her, during SOTM you really think she's having a seizure she's so into it, Lindsey puffs on a ciggie during his guitar solo and fakes an orgasm. Would they do that today? I love them but, sadly, they wouldn't. Of course, I think FM are dedicated and talented performers. I think you're right that it's a mistake to attribute all of that solely to drugs but I have to say that they played a part. Lindsey still has a lot of energy, but it's definitely a different kind of energy. It's more controlled. He has everything planned out to the last minute detail and he's accompanied by a huge backup band. Stevie also still has a lot of energy (not so much on SYW, but in Vegas and currently) but her energy level was also much less controlled then. I guess you could attribute it to youth, but it really came down to a lack of inhibitions in Mirage. They had no inhibitions then and it really made for an unbelievable performance. So, why are they clammed up so tight now and have every little word and gesture memorized? Why do they carry their huge backup ensemble everywhere they go? Did they lose confidence and when did their inhibitions get the better of them? Well, they're clean and sober now.. Drugs usually lower inhibitions, although they can make you paranoid, depending on their drug of choice. Coke would have them spun. I'm not saying that it's the only reason Mirage rocked harder, but it definitely played a part.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:46 PM

When I see Fleetwood Mac I want to see Fleetwood Mac. Not Stevie's back up singers or Mick's percussionist (who's barely audible anyway), not 2 add'l guitarist and keyboardist.

Just Fleetwood Mac.
Sort of like Just Jack.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
When I see Fleetwood Mac I want to see Fleetwood Mac. Not Stevie's back up singers or Mick's percussionist (who's barely audible anyway), not 2 add'l guitarist and keyboardist.

Just Fleetwood Mac.
Sort of like Just Jack.
Preach it. I hate the big Broadway show that they insist on hauling out. Leave the backsassers at home, get rid of the extra musicians, and just put on a raw rock show.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think youth and experience also have a lot to do with the tighter performances of late. I mean after 30 years of singing Rhiannon and GYOW - only so much ad lib still exists

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Preach it. I hate the big Broadway show that they insist on hauling out. Leave the backsassers at home, get rid of the extra musicians, and just put on a raw rock show.

I still say it should just just the four of them - period. I also think though Neale, Carlos, Brett, Taku and the others are all very very talented people, they sort of get lost in the mix. So,m I say bring on the four and the great CM if she will come away from the wall.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Word. I CAN'T STAND all the freakin' back up musicians. I CAN'T STAND Stevie's back up singers. Frankly I CAN'T STAND that Stand Back has become a regular in FM shows, or at least that it's the only solo song in the FM show (aside from GI on The Dance). I mean if they want to do a little "solo interlude" where they all do some solo songs, I suppose I could live with that. But if I go to a Mac show, I want to see FM do FM songs.

As for the Mirage show, I wouldn't spend too much time reading into the "looks" they're giving each other. The editing is notoriously bad and there's really no way to tell who anyone is actually looking at.

As for the drugs, who knows, who cares. I mean really...sure they were doing drugs; they were also younger, the S&L relationship was getting worse and more estranged at this point (from what I've read), Stevie was also dealing with Robin Anderson's death around this time, and God knows what else was going on with the other members. I frankly wonder if Lindsey was even doing coke much, if at all, at this point. In two years he would be releasing "I Must Go," which laments Carol Ann's over-dependence on coke.

And no canned speeches? Every Mirage boot I've heard has Lindsey's "It's been two years since we've been on the road...and a lot of people were wondering what happened to us...had we broken up...whatever. But this just goes to show that we refuse to go away (still doing it)!" Although the "We're masochists!" line from Oakland is a refreshing add!

At this point this was a band on the edge, and to reduce the edginess of this video to, "Musta been doing a lot of coke" just seems too simplistic.

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 06-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar
Word. I CAN'T STAND all the freakin' back up musicians. I CAN'T STAND Stevie's back up singers. Frankly I CAN'T STAND that Stand Back has become a regular in FM shows, or at least that it's the only solo song in the FM show (aside from GI on The Dance). I mean if they want to do a little "solo interlude" where they all do some solo songs, I suppose I could live with that. But if I go to a Mac show, I want to see FM do FM songs.

If we have to hear her sing Stand Back from the millionth goddamned time, let us hear Don't Look Down or Johnny Stew or something. Cripes, Stand Back ain't that great that it has to become a Mac staple.

The backsassers annoy the living **** out of me.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Cripes, Stand Back ain't that great that it has to become a Mac staple.

The backsassers annoy the living **** out of me.
RIGHT?! It makes me wonder if there isn't some back story to this, like it almost ended up on a Mac album so she convinced them to do it. But it got added to the set after Lindsey left...

...or maybe this is why he left! Found out she was pushing to add a solo song to the Tango set! And it was more than he could stand! Hmmmmm!

...Anyway maybe they were trying to flesh out the set list after Lindsey left and she wanted an up-tempo number. Fine, but once he came back what's the point? Put in Angel or Straight Back...God forbid she do a FM tune!

Take on the situation but not the torment

Last edited by Sugar; 06-14-2005 at 02:20 PM..
Old 06-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Just Fleetwood Mac.
Sort of like Just Jack.
Yeah, you're right. I hope they'll be back on the road soon, and may they please visit belgium!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking A-Freakin-Men!!!

Quote:
I want them to cut open a vein and pour acid on it....PLAY IT RAW!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
PLAY IT RAW!!!!!
I think some of the songs ("Gypsy," "Eyes Of The World," "Don't Stop") are better served by the more "polished" approach on stage. But others, like "The Chain," "Rhiannon," "Go Your Own Way," are best when the band is left unadorned.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...I want to see Fleetwood Mac. Not ...Mick's percussionist (who's barely audible anyway)...

Ahh...but, wait...is it Mick's percussionist who is barely audible or is MICK barely audible? Could it be the guy playing the drumkit BEHIND Mick in the shadows who is REALLY playing and Mick is just playing along inaudibly (to the audience)?

(an old topic ressurrected) The drums & percussion parts on SYW are very UN-Mick-like...they're WAY overly simplistic...where's the inventive pseudo-Third World rhythms? Way more than a majority of the album is in basic 4/4 time. There's no odd syncopation that Mick used to throw into the mix...so it seems that it could be ANYBODY playing those parts...where's the "Mick Fleetwood" sound? It is painfully conspicuous in its absence on SYW.