The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Yes, I did. Privately. And you know what's funny? I actually thought I was going a good thing, because by offering it for download (using my own funds for the purchase and the bandwidth) was decreasing profiteering. It is true we disagree. It would be easier to disagree with you if you hadn't just said that you are one of the people who take advantage of these downloads. You act affronted and refuse to see the hypocrisy of that, I guess because it would force you to relinquish your pretense of moral superiority.
I am very grateful for everything that you post for all of us to enjoy, Nancy. You are tireless, and it seems you share everything. So, thank you very much.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I am very grateful for everything that you post for all of us to enjoy, Nancy. You are tireless, and it seems you share everything. So, thank you very much.
Thank you.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Do you mean through private sale?

They're good songs, I don't see what that has to do with it though. We shouldn't have been in the position to ever hear them. You don't agree obviously. It would be easier to agree to disagree if you hadn't just said you purchased that last demos.
Yeah, I'm sorry Lux but it seems like you're trying to take the high ground by reallocating blame. It's like the person who sued McDonald's because they were overweight, "I should never have been able to buy the food. It should never have been made available to me." It's a little thing called personal choice and responsibility. We're not your mommy and I happen to know you're old enough to make the decision for yourself.

Is it wrong that these tapes are stolen? Yes.

Do We know that these tapes were stolen? No.

Was Lindsey's management aware of the auction? Yes.

Did they even attempt to pull it? No. (How do I know this? I decided to alert ebay to a fraudulent auction, auctioning off demos. I did this today and within 1 hour the auction was down and any links to it resulted in a page saying Invalid item, so I a non-copyright holder got an auction taken down in less than an hour).

I'm grateful to all the fans that have made things available and grateful for my ability to choose whether or not to download it.

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks
Old 05-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Lux
Old 05-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
So Nancy, why do you presume they were not being sold on ebay? Don't pretend that isn't deviant. Do you not realise that you're taking pride in the partaking of causing some kind of grief for the one person you claim to idolise. I cannot understand the logic in defying him in that manner, the person I imagine you'd like only to impress. The day that purchase is ok is the day you get to greet Lindsey and tell him without any concerns that you were the one who purchased and distributed those at his expense. I can say that I'd be more than embarassed and apologetic. The seller is obviously that main one at fault but purchasing and distributing that despite him and his expressed intent is deviant. Wouldn't it have been more considerate to him to not distribute the songs? You had that power and at this point it has nothing to do with being selfish and keeping those songs from the 'true fans'. I'm one of those 'true fans' and my desire for his music does not outweigh his rights as the owner and one would presume, his feelings as our proclaimed idol. If he was at all a concern you could have simply sat on those songs and played whatever part you could in aiding him. It's hard to see that he's any more than a machine for your site's popularity at this point.

I had no idea what these even were when I was given them by a friend, I was entirely new and uneducated about his music, simply receiving a batch of Lindsey's work, old and new. I would have had much more conflict about taking them had I known any of this. Also don't come back at me with something about my still being able to hear them and say this because I obviously would have otherwise loved to hear this new material that is no longer there. I lose in that regard like you all but as I said, it's not about our listening desires.

Wow, Lux. If you really believe that I don't have any regard for Lindsey other than as a tool for promoting my site, that I spent hours and hours and hours on a site dedicated to him not because I love him, but because for some reason I feel this is my road to fame (?!!), I really don't know how to respond to you. You really think I'm that pathetic? Wow. Well, you win. You've truly rendered me speechless. Yay Lux.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
So Nancy, why do you presume they were not being sold on ebay? Don't pretend that isn't deviant. Do you not realise that you're taking pride in the partaking of causing some kind of grief for the one person you claim to idolise. I cannot understand the logic in defying him in that manner, the person I imagine you'd like only to impress. The day that purchase is ok is the day you get to greet Lindsey and tell him without any concerns that you were the one who purchased and distributed those at his expense. I can say that I'd be more than embarassed and apologetic. The seller is obviously that main one at fault but purchasing and distributing that despite him and his expressed intent is deviant. Wouldn't it have been more considerate to him to not distribute the songs? You had that power and at this point it has nothing to do with being selfish and keeping those songs from the 'true fans'. I'm one of those 'true fans' and my desire for his music does not outweigh his rights as the owner and one would presume, his feelings as our proclaimed idol. If he was at all a concern you could have simply sat on those songs and played whatever part you could in aiding him. It's hard to see that he's any more than a machine for your site's popularity at this point.

I had no idea what these even were when I was given them by a friend, I was entirely new and uneducated about his music, simply receiving a batch of Lindsey's work, old and new. I would have had much more conflict about taking them had I known any of this. Also don't come back at me with something about my still being able to hear them and say this because I obviously would have otherwise loved to hear this new material that is no longer there. I lose in that regard like you all but as I said, it's not about our listening desires.
Lux, I say this with love - do you think, perhaps, in this case, considering all the factors, you may be personalizing Lindsey a little bit too much? I see your point, and all, but....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-01-2005, 05:50 PM
thepoetinmyhear
This message has been deleted by thepoetinmyhear. Reason: decided to drop it, no point in continuing when it seems a simple, we disagree will suffice
Old 05-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
You mean you didn't know what a demo is? Come on.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 05-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Yes, I did. Privately. And you know what's funny? I actually thought I was going a good thing, because by offering it for download (using my own funds for the purchase and the bandwidth) was decreasing profiteering. It is true we disagree. It would be easier to disagree with you if you hadn't just said that you are one of the people who take advantage of these downloads. You act affronted and refuse to see the hypocrisy of that, I guess because it would force you to relinquish your pretense of moral superiority.
Just want to thank you too, Nancy. When I found your site, as a new FM fan, to listen to their old concerts for the first time or to GOS or BN album was really a gift.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 05-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Lux
Old 05-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Is this even Lux typing these posts? They're making less and less sense.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Lux
Old 05-01-2005, 09:34 PM
thepoetinmyhear
This message has been deleted by thepoetinmyhear.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the best thing anyone can say at this point is, We disagree on ALL counts. It does not appear there is a chance that either side will be convinced that the other is right, so let's call the whole thing off. (To ma to) (to mah to)

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks
Old 05-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lux if you'd be so kind as to respond to MSN then maybe I will be able to see where you're coming from.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Lux
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I'll respond when I can or want to. I have enough to respond here occasionally but that doesn't mean I'm obliged to chat even if I'm sitting here (and in fact I've been asleep for most of the day) when you won't be so kind as to allow me to be human. If the rules of friendship consist of 'no drama' then you can't always expect a chat. People lives are too dramatic to always talk about the weather and I'm not referring to this little drama over here. I'll chat when I can but don't get annoyed to the point of posting in a public forum when you're the one who requested it be this way.
Would the counsel for the plaintiff please rest her case? There's no rules to my friendship and there's no clean-cut rules for bootlegs for that matter. Aiee!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
you won't be so kind as to allow me to be human
If this is referring to my post that doubted whether it was really you who had been posting in this thread, let me assure you that I was not being sarcastic or derogatory. It seemed to me that someone else (Scott? who knows) might have been pretending to be you.

And the fact that you weren't (aren't) replying to MSN strengthened that theory for me. I thought, 'If this is the real Lux, she'll be happy to talk about it'.

Anyway, you may as well forget MSN and just use this thread as I think you'll find few others will be bothering to come back here, what with the Reception of Brutus awaiting them.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 05-02-2005 at 01:18 AM..
Old 05-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Lux
Old 05-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Lux
Old 05-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm not recalling the conversation in question - perhaps mentioning it privately in MSN would refresh my memory.

Nice attempt to paint me as a bastard who turns away friends in need! Hah! The irony is that my friends know that I am always eager to try 'counselling' them through their problems. Clearly nothing and no one will agree with you in your current frame of mind - perhaps even Lindsey himself should he pay you a visit would say the wrong thing and contradict what he has previously said at some random point in history (although this is of course less likely for him, with his penchant for decades of cyclical repetetion). So, as always, and as all my friends know, including you too hopefully, I remain available on MSN if they need an ear and some 'Dr Phil'-ish advice.

As for my 'no drama policy'.. who does want it?? Anyway, now that most of my friends are well into their 20s I don't really have that problem anymore (ie of people who do nothing but moan or gossip or what have you.)

God, while I've been writing these replies I've been trying to give advice to my friend on MSN who's mother died earlier this year and her father's seeing someone new already, which is really upsetting to my friend, the daughter, and her sister. At one point she had sent about 10 messages and I missed them all cause I was working on a reply to you. She got a bit annoyed and joked that she won't bother talking to me about any of her problems again.

Hard to put a foot right when you try to be friendly to a lot of people at the same time.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Lux
Old 05-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default wow

Lux...you have stated several times that you "know" Lindsey is upset about this auction and that his management tried to have this auction stopped but ebay did nothing. Do I undernd that correctly? You have implied that his management tried in vain to have this item removed..right? How do you know that?? Are they telling you that? I am unclear how you know what Lindsey's wants, desires, wishes, feelings are on this particular auction?
I have contacted the seller and he has informed me that no one from Lindsey's management has made any effort to communicate with him regarding this auction. They have not emailed him and requested he remove it. HE REMOVED this auction. He may relist. It was not removed by ebay...not matter how many people may have complained. If LBs management was disturbed by this auction..certainly an email to the seller would be reasonable. They could have appealed to his sense of right from wrong..they could have explained that these are unauthorized...they could have threatened legal action...they could have offered to buy it back from him for a few hundred bucks. East End chose not to do any of those things... therefore, I can only assume they did not want to.

Nancy...thanks for everything! Do not feel guilty...Stevie has damn near a hundred of her demos all over the place. This is one...I am sure he is not losing sleep over it.
Before anyone says that justifies stealing from LB..it does not.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 05-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Lux
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default wellll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
It is the lesser of two evils but as I mentioned, there is a third option. The person who wins the bid has the power to change it into the ethical solution by returning it or facilitating the other methods I mentioned in the previous post.
while all of this is very ethical and clean, are you aware that the seller is trying to get 500.00 for this work now? He pulled the deal off eBay to up the price? Personally, I do not feel that any fan should have to pay the extortion that this seller wants and then give it over to Lindsey. He should buy it, or his people, if that is what he wants. None of use are responsible to return work to him that he can just as well either buy or send his attorneys after to stop. Why don't you just call East End Management and inform them that this is going on and let them handle it, if indeed they even care. They have deeper pockets than we do, and access to better legal representation and advice.