User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
You don't have to diss Stevie to appreciate Christine.
No one said you did. I said Stevie was a little weird, and too much a fairy princess, for me. It was a very civil opinion, IMO. Not dissing. Unless anything other than the highest praise cannot be offered here.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I would LOVE to go out drinking with CM. I have a feeling we would be great pub friends
As for looks, CM is a pretty woman with a distinctive look and she still looks damn good. I love her.
Hell, I'm having a drink with her right now. Well, sort of....
That's always been how I'd like to meet her. Over a bottle or two of wine. We'd get half lit, play music together, laugh our asses off......
Hey, a fella can dream.....
Old 04-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah, everybody wants to go out drinking with Christine and now she no longer drinks.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
No one said you did. I said Stevie was a little weird, and too much a fairy princess, for me. It was a very civil opinion, IMO. Not dissing. Unless anything other than the highest praise cannot be offered here.
Fairy princess seems condescending. What does that mean, really? I also don't like weird to have a negative connotation. I think I'm a hell of a lot weirder than Stevie (does she have seventeen stethoscopes that she names and is not a medical professional?), and I think it's one of my (few ) good qualities that I'm weird.

Oh yeah, and you said certainly implied that Christine was the only one who was a "real" woman. That's quite an insult to woman. I'd hate for some chick to say to me, "I want to date someone else, someone who's a real woman."

Aside from all of that, it's totally unnecessary to bring Stevie into it at all. Why do that? I could talk about Stevie's greatness in her forum and I wouldn't have to say "Yeah, she totally does such and such better than Christine does," or whatever. It's gratuitious. You can say how wonderful Christine is and Stevie does not even need to be mentioned.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
I need invited.
Let's have a threesome! Oh, wait. Not quite what I meant.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Ah, everybody wants to go out drinking with Christine and now she no longer drinks.
Wait, she doesn't drink anymore at all? Or she only does it occasionally?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wait, she doesn't drink anymore at all? Or she only does it occasionally?
I was under the impression she 'quit drinking' a few years ago, didn't she say that in a pretty recent interview?

I'd think that one would be aware of consuming a bit more than one should to begin with, in order to feel the need to 'quit' altogether. She did have a bit of a reputation for being a big wine-drinker for many years...maybe it was more of a problem than was spoken/written about.

I'm very glad both John and Chris have stopped all that. They probably both still smoke like chimneys (chimnies? how do you spell that LOL), but at least the alcohol is out of the equation! (Fingers crossed it always will be, I worry for them too much....)

-Lis
Old 04-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Let's have a threesome! Oh, wait. Not quite what I meant.

You know you want me.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris mentioned in several interviews last year that she quit drinking three years before(2001). I also read a little interview that her manager, Martin Wyatt did & he said exactly the same thing. She never said anything about how she stopped, whether on her own or with professional help. I was shocked, but very happy when she said that she had stopped. I never thought she'd ever stop.

She first quit smoking around 1994 or so, then started up again around 1999 or so, due she said to the stress from her marriage ending. She did mention in that VH1 Classic interview that her voice was in such good shape because she had quit smoking. I'm hoping that she has quit again or at least gives it another try. Whenever I see old pictures of her drinking or smoking, I always worry about her lungs & liver.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fairy princess seems condescending.
I meant fairy princess as in: All that mystical crap. Spirit catchers, and all that balogna.
Quote:
Oh yeah, and you said certainly implied that Christine was the only one who was a "real" woman. That's quite an insult to woman. I'd hate for some chick to say to me, "I want to date someone else, someone who's a real woman."
By real, I mostly meant REGULAR. NORMAL. Has ANYONE ever called Stevie regular, or normal????? I think not.

Quote:
Aside from all of that, it's totally unnecessary to bring Stevie into it at all. Why do that? I could talk about Stevie's greatness in her forum and I wouldn't have to say "Yeah, she totally does such and such better than Christine does," or whatever. It's gratuitious. You can say how wonderful Christine is and Stevie does not even need to be mentioned.
Whew. I'm glad we've got Post Police here to set me straight! If I want to include a comparison in my assessment of Chris, that's my right, isn't it?

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 04-17-2005 at 12:53 PM..
Old 04-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I meant fairy princess as in: All that mystical crap. Spirit catchers, and all that balogna.
I can't understand dismissing all of that as "crap," as that seems like a very narrow view, but that's your call.

Quote:
By real, I mostly meant REGULAR. NORMAL. Has ANYONE ever called Stevie regular, or normal????? I think not.
She's normal enough for me. A lot of the singers I listen to are a lot stranger. Ani DiFranco, par example. Stevie is pretty normal in that she writes about true love, unrequited love, and all that stuff that's a part of your life if you're a human being. I certainly don't call any of her recent material "out there."

Quote:
Whew. I'm glad we've got Post Police here to set me straight! If I want to include a comparison in my assessment of Chris, that's my right, isn't it?
Yes, it is your right. I don't mean to say that it isn't your right to do that. But I can't see why it's necessary in the least. When I say that I love my Mom, I just say that I love her. I don't have to talk about how she's better than other people's mothers in order to prove my point. I'll say the same thing to someone who goes into Stevie's forum and starts talking about how Stevie so great and Christine is too something or other. It's not fair. I'm not trying to be a bitch in saying all of this, nor am I trying to be so obnoxious that you decide you don't want to talk to me anymore, but I can't help but have a problem with it. And there's so much Stevie bashing going on on her own forum that it's not all that nice for people to be saying she's not normal enough in Christine's forum.

On the other hand, I can't deny that this seems to be what The Ledge is for. We say whatever we think about these people and we shouldn't have to be afraid that someone's going to persecute us for doing so. We don't have to pretend like they're perfect. But by the same token, I can criticize your criticisms because we have that freedom of speech here, right?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:

For the record, that "bologna" is part of some peoples religion.
Also? I think Stevie's pretty normal. For instance, right now, I'm sure she'd be referring you to the bun...
And I bet Christine's got some quirks we don't know about...
Also, normal can be boring. Do you really want to talk to someone who always thinks "normal" things, makes "normal" jokes, only ever acts normal, etc.? Dullerific.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Also? I think Stevie's pretty normal. For instance, right now, I'm sure she'd be referring you to the bun...
Also, normal can be boring. Do you really want to talk to someone who always thinks "normal" things, makes "normal" jokes, only ever acts normal, etc.? Dullerific.
I agree on all accounts.

I also think it discredits Christine to a degree to compare her to Stevie. I think you are inadvertently doing to her what has been done to her by countless others since the 70s. It's almost as though Christine needs to be compared to Stevie, like she can't ecape that, even with those who love her. She will always be "the other one," and if you have to use Stevie to prove that there's something special about Christine, well is she really so special, then? Let Christine stand alone.

When Stevie said of her, "You'll go on forever--you're that good," she didn't add, "You're so good that you're way better than me," she just left it at that. That was enough.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It's not fair. I'm not trying to be a bitch in saying all of this, nor am I trying to be so obnoxious that you decide you don't want to talk to me anymore, but I can't help but have a problem with it.

I like you. I said the Stevie remark. I don't over analyze every remark I make(I'm a guy!). I typed it, and stand by my opinion. If it upset you, I'm sorry for that.
Quote:
And there's so much Stevie bashing going on on her own forum that it's not all that nice for people to be saying she's not normal enough in Christine's forum.
Hmmm. I've never been there, but it sounds like a nice place to visit.

Quote:
[COLOR=Blue]On the other hand, I can't deny that this seems to be what The Ledge is for. We say whatever we think about these people and we shouldn't have to be afraid that someone's going to persecute us for doing so. We don't have to pretend like they're perfect. But by the same token, I can criticize your criticisms because we have that freedom of speech here, right?
Critisize away. Freedom of speech. Isn't that what I was exercising?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Religion (shudder).
Quote:
Now 25 years ago, I'd have welcomed that referral(if I'd been old enough).
Quote:
Quirks, kinks, etc bring em on.
Quote:
You know, when I was a freshman in college, I had a girlfriend who was really into Stevie. She herself was very much like Stevie, with all the spacy stuff. Kind of even had Stevie's look. She really, over time, drove me crazy with that stuff. When I broke up with her, she tried to commit suicide, taking a bottle of pills and locking herself in her room. Her friends came and got me. I talked her out of her room, got her to the hospital for a stomach pump, and RAN LIKE HELL. I think that moment is when I developed an aversion to all things mystical. THAT, is why I prefer REAL and NORMAL.