The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Interesting interview with Christine.Duo from Fleetwood Mac goes its own way with new

http://m.startribune.com/duo-from-fl...ection=variety

By JON BREAM , STAR TRIBUNE
October 28, 2017 - 12:50 AM

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham is notoriously meticulous in the recording studio. Remember how the band spent a then-record $1 million recording “Tusk” in 1979 because he was so particular?

So how did Mac keyboardist Christine McVie get Mr. Fussy to complete a duo album with her in near record time this year?

“This was not a concept we had in the beginning, to make a duo album. It just kind of happened,” said McVie, who will join Buckingham in concert Monday at Northrop auditorium in Minneapolis. “It didn’t take us that long.”

They worked on a few of her ideas, then went on tour with Fleetwood Mac in 2014 and later revisited the songs. Buckingham brought in five songs of his own, and before you know it they had an album.

“He and I always had a good chemistry musically,” McVie pointed out. “It seemed very natural to me. Easy, actually, to work with him in that way. We’re not the best of friends. We don’t hang out together. But when we get to the studio, we have a good connection.”

No Stevie, no tension

It could be because Stevie Nicks wasn’t involved. When Buckingham and his ex, Nicks, try to work together, there’s always, um, creative tension.

Nicks was busy doing a solo tour to promote her 2014 album “24 Karat Gold,” so Buckingham busied himself with the McVie collaboration.

The rest of Fleetwood Mac — founding drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie — also participated in the recording. Not that this was ever going to be a Fleetwood Mac project.

The resulting album “Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie” features five tunes by each, with Buckingham cowriting three of McVie’s numbers.

One of McVie’s solo tunes, “Carnival Begin,” is a bluesy piece reminiscent of pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac.

“That actually was a song about Fleetwood Mac, about my journey returning into the band,” the singer-keyboardist said. “It’s my ode to the rest of the band.”

McVie said the other three Mac members approve of the side project.

“They don’t mind a bit. Stevie loves the record. Mick and John love the record. It seems to me that it’s perfectly fine to have people go off and do these things and then we get back together and we’re rejuvenated.”

Buckingham and McVie are on the second leg of their duo tour. Although they play some Fleetwood Mac songs together, the vibe is very different from a Big Mac show. The key difference is drummer Fleetwood, who, of course, is not on tour with Buckingham and McVie.

“Mick’s drumming is so enormous, he’s so loud. When you get another drummer, who plays an electronic drum kit, it’s quite interesting,” McVie explained. “This is a great band. It’s a different feel all together. I’m loving it. Lindsey’s having a ball.”

Plus, there’s no Nicks voice on such Mac tunes as “Little Lies.”

“We have other singers in the band,” McVie pointed out. “It’s a different sound. I don’t really miss it.”

McVie, 74, was semiretired from 1998 until 2014, although she released a solo album, “In the Meantime,” in 2004.

“I cut it in my garage. I didn’t really promote it. I bet you’ve never heard of it. It didn’t sell anything.”

It wasn’t exactly widely circulated in the States. The U.K. native was living in the English countryside at the time. And since she had a fear of flying, she never promoted the album.

Mac plans

McVie did get reacquainted with Fleetwood Mac briefly this summer when the group participated in the Classic West and East shows, two superstar concerts in baseball stadiums.

“It was pretty weird. It was one extreme to the other. That was 70,0000 people vs. 4,000 that Lindsey and I play to,” said McVie, who had rejoined the band for the 2014 tour that started in the Twin Cities.

“Our band is quite structured. Fleetwood Mac is very flamboyant, with Mick and Stevie. It was definitely different, but I loved it. We all loved it. But it was a bit of a shock to play to such a massive amount of people.”

McVie is confident there will be a Fleetwood Mac tour in 2018.

“We’re all set for April/May rehearsals. We’ll kick off in July for a year,” she said. “Yeah, another tour.”

Will there be another Mac album? The quintet’s last studio project, “Say You Will,” came out in 2003. (McVie played on two songs.)

“I can’t say yea and I can’t say nay because nobody knows. Not even the band,” McVie said. “One could certainly hope. One of the issues is the time to do it. There are other things like whether Lindsey and Stevie want to work together again in the studio, I don’t know.”

Speaking of Buckingham, why is it that Mr. Fussy never looks happy in any of the publicity photos for the Buckingham/McVie project?

“He never smiles,” McVie observed. “I could show you photos on my phone and tons of pictures of Lindsey smiling. I’ve got shots of Lindsey laughing, but he doesn’t like them. He likes to have that very sullen look. He just likes to look gaunt. He smiles onstage. Don’t worry.”

Twitter: @JonBream • 612-673-1719
Old 10-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham is notoriously meticulous in the recording studio. Remember how the band spent a then-record $1 million recording “Tusk” in 1979 because he was so particular?

So how did Mac keyboardist Christine McVie get Mr. Fussy to complete a duo album with her in near record time this year?

“This was not a concept we had in the beginning, to make a duo album. It just kind of happened,” said McVie, who will join Buckingham in concert Monday at Northrop auditorium in Minneapolis. “It didn’t take us that long.”

They worked on a few of her ideas, then went on tour with Fleetwood Mac in 2014 and later revisited the songs. Buckingham brought in five songs of his own, and before you know it they had an album.

“He and I always had a good chemistry musically,” McVie pointed out. “It seemed very natural to me. Easy, actually, to work with him in that way. We’re not the best of friends. We don’t hang out together. But when we get to the studio, we have a good connection.”

No Stevie, no tension

It could be because Stevie Nicks wasn’t involved. When Buckingham and his ex, Nicks, try to work together, there’s always, um, creative tension.

Nicks was busy doing a solo tour to promote her 2014 album “24 Karat Gold,” so Buckingham busied himself with the McVie collaboration.

The rest of Fleetwood Mac — founding drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie — also participated in the recording. Not that this was ever going to be a Fleetwood Mac project.

The resulting album “Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie” features five tunes by each, with Buckingham cowriting three of McVie’s numbers.

One of McVie’s solo tunes, “Carnival Begin,” is a bluesy piece reminiscent of pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac.

“That actually was a song about Fleetwood Mac, about my journey returning into the band,” the singer-keyboardist said. “It’s my ode to the rest of the band.”

“They don’t mind a bit. Stevie loves the record. Mick and John love the record. It seems to me that it’s perfectly fine to have people go off and do these things and then we get back together and we’re rejuvenated.”

Buckingham and McVie are on the second leg of their duo tour. Although they play some Fleetwood Mac songs together, the vibe is very different from a Big Mac show. The key difference is drummer Fleetwood, who, of course, is not on tour with Buckingham and McVie.

“Mick’s drumming is so enormous, he’s so loud. When you get another drummer, who plays an electronic drum kit, it’s quite interesting,” McVie explained. “This is a great band. It’s a different feel all together. I’m loving it. Lindsey’s having a ball.”

“We have other singers in the band,” McVie pointed out. “It’s a different sound. I don’t really miss it.”

McVie, 74, was semiretired from 1998 until 2014, although she released a solo album, “In the Meantime,” in 2004.

“I cut it in my garage. I didn’t really promote it. I bet you’ve never heard of it. It didn’t sell anything.”

It wasn’t exactly widely circulated in the States. The U.K. native was living in the English countryside at the time. And since she had a fear of flying, she never promoted the album.

Mac plans

McVie did get reacquainted with Fleetwood Mac briefly this summer when the group participated in the Classic West and East shows, two superstar concerts in baseball stadiums.

“It was pretty weird. It was one extreme to the other. That was 70,0000 people vs. 4,000 that Lindsey and I play to,” said McVie, who had rejoined the band for the 2014 tour that started in the Twin Cities.

“Our band is quite structured. Fleetwood Mac is very flamboyant, with Mick and Stevie. It was definitely different, but I loved it. We all loved it. But it was a bit of a shock to play to such a massive amount of people.”

“We’re all set for April/May rehearsals. We’ll kick off in July for a year,” she said. “Yeah, another tour.”

Will there be another Mac album? The quintet’s last studio project, “Say You Will,” came out in 2003. (McVie played on two songs.)

“I can’t say yea and I can’t say nay because nobody knows. Not even the band,” McVie said. “One could certainly hope. One of the issues is the time to do it. There are other things like whether Lindsey and Stevie want to work together again in the studio, I don’t know.”

Speaking of Buckingham, why is it that Mr. Fussy never looks happy in any of the publicity photos for the Buckingham/McVie project?

“He never smiles,” McVie observed. “I could show you photos on my phone and tons of pictures of Lindsey smiling. I’ve got shots of Lindsey laughing, but he doesn’t like them. He likes to have that very sullen look. He just likes to look gaunt. He smiles onstage. Don’t worry.”

Great article!

I still can't get why is it so difficult for Stevie and Lindsey to work together! It's frustrating.

Christine's modesty about "In the Meantime". It's like those 12 Lindsey's fans.

So Lindsey and Christine don't hang out together but she has tons of pictures of Lindsey on her phone...

Glad to have the confirmation this was not supposed to be duo album.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Great article!

I still can't get why is it so difficult for Stevie and Lindsey to work together! It's frustrating.

Christine's modesty about "In the Meantime". It's like those 12 Lindsey's fans.

So Lindsey and Christine don't hang out together but she has tons of pictures of Lindsey on her phone...

Glad to have the confirmation this was not supposed to be duo album.
Christine is not a fan of her solo work which drives me crazy. She has always put the Mac first. She never wanted to do a solo record but Warner Brothers sort of forced her to do it. In The Meantime has some amazing tracks and some of her best writing and singing. At least she did not say it was in the pits of hell like she did a few years ago. Great music should never be measured by units sold.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Christine is not a fan of her solo work which drives me crazy. She has always put the Mac first. She never wanted to do a solo record but Warner Brothers sort of forced her to do it. In The Meantime has some amazing tracks and some of her best writing and singing. At least she did not say it was in the pits of hell like she did a few years ago. Great music should never be measured by units sold.
Amen.

That's why 80% of FM recorded a recent album. For the art. The joy. The creative process.

Only the other 20% is obsessed with numbers.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:43 PM

The tour has been a success for them. I would guess the album as well.

They are talking of doing another album, and have extended the tour. That's really promising. And I glad because the music is great!
Old 10-29-2017, 02:23 AM
Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks for sharing, TheWildHeart67!

Okay, this may be an ignorant statement, but did they talk about "Carnival Begin" for the press during the first leg of the tour/album release? If not, I'm very happy that they are mentioning it. Like others who have expressed their sentiments about it, I would love to hear it live one of these days. I didn't notice the LB backing vocals on the song until about a couple months ago, which is one of the reasons why I like his work, since sometimes, I could hear things that I didn't notice before.

Ah, April/May rehearsals, hmm. I wonder if it would be feasible for LB to release the solo album in January and then hopefully tour for January, February, and maybe a little in March.

Lol, Gift of Screws demos Christine for Say You Will. I'm glad that the interviewer mentioned her involvement in that album. What I like more about the GOS Steal Your Heart Away is that I can hear the keys more and the ending vocals where it's Stevie-less. I don't know I just don't think they added anything, and I prefer Lindsey's.

The ending smile comment is funny as to why the LB CM cover looks so humorless and as if he doesn't give a crap. I really wished that they used their pictures from the back cover of the album w/ the track list for the 2nd leg shirts.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

No Stevie, no tension

Mac plans

What a fun read! The interviewer, Jon Bream, is a bit of a pot stirrer, isn't he? His sly little side comments were funny. I doubt he really referred to Lindsey as "Mr. Fussy" during the actual interview, but his snarky comments about Lindsey, though hopefully good-natured, came across more like a fan who was upset Lindsey didn't sign his worn out vinyl of Buckingham Nicks years ago and he's still holding a grudge. And how about his sarcastic comment "Not that this was ever going to be a Fleetwood Mac project." Right...

Not sure why Christine completely contradicts herself in the last paragraph- "He never smiles. I could show you photos on my phone and tons of pictures of Lindsey smiling." Pick a lane, Christine!

Thanks for posting WildHeart!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
What a fun read! The interviewer, Jon Bream, is a bit of a pot stirrer, isn't he? His sly little side comments were funny. I doubt he really referred to Lindsey as "Mr. Fussy" during the actual interview, but his snarky comments about Lindsey, though hopefully good-natured, came across more like a fan who was upset Lindsey didn't sign his worn out vinyl of Buckingham Nicks years ago and he's still holding a grudge. And how about his sarcastic comment "Not that this was ever going to be a Fleetwood Mac project." Right...

Not sure why Christine completely contradicts herself in the last paragraph- "He never smiles. I could show you photos on my phone and tons of pictures of Lindsey smiling." Pick a lane, Christine!

Thanks for posting WildHeart!
ah good ole Jon Bream... this is the nicest writeup of his about Mac members, solo or together, that i can remember. he's usually extremely snarky and spits all over their every effort!

i think "he never smiles" was supposed to have [for posed pictures] right after it because that was the question she was answering. she says - yeah he never wants his posed pics to be of him smiling but don't you worry he smiles and laughs plenty - and i've got tons of pics on my phone to prove it! (but he doesn't like those lol).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-30-2017, 08:05 AM

I think Christine was saying he never smiles in the context of.. "Wanna bet?"
Old 10-30-2017, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't see any ambiguity in what she said. She's just saying that he poses for pics with his "sullen" "gaunt" look but in life and when performing he smiles and laughs.

"I’ve got shots of Lindsey laughing, but he doesn’t like them. He likes to have that very sullen look. He just likes to look gaunt. He smiles onstage. Don’t worry.”
Old 10-30-2017, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I don't see any ambiguity in what she said. She's just saying that he poses for pics with his "sullen" "gaunt" look but in life and when performing he smiles and laughs.

"I’ve got shots of Lindsey laughing, but he doesn’t like them. He likes to have that very sullen look. He just likes to look gaunt. He smiles onstage. Don’t worry.”
yup. and Christine's statement directly contradicts what Stevie said about him never smiling or laughing.

here's now Lindsey interview (there's an audio at the link) ahead of MN show - https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2...hristine-mcvie

Lindsey Buckingham talks about collaborating with longtime friend Christine McVie
by Brian Oake, Jill Riley
October 30, 2017

NEWS INTERVIEWS INTERVIEWS
Lindsey Buckingham
Lindsey Buckingham performing with Fleetwood Mac in 2014 at Target Center. (Nate Ryan)
Play/Pause
LISTEN:
Interview with Lindsay Buckingham
0:00 | 00:06:56

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie have collaborated on a new record, and they've been busy touring in support of it. On Monday, they performed at Northrop in Minneapolis. Ahead of the show, Brian Oake and Jill Riley got Lindsey Buckingham on the phone to talk about the new album and about collaborating with his longtime pals from Fleetwood Mac.

Jill Riley: I'm glad that you're coming back to town and really interested in talking about this project between you and Christine McVie. So Lindsey, I mean what was the inspiration for the collaboration or duet record with Christine McVie?

Lindsey Buckingham: It kind of in little bits and starts, and it was a bit of a surprise. We didn't plan it per se, we didn't really see it coming, It was kind of on the heels of Christine reaching out to us a couple years back. She had taken leave of Fleetwood Mac for, gosh, about 15 years. A 15-year vacation and then out of the blue, she just asked if she might rejoin, and of course, we were very happy to welcome her back to the ranks. She was also very interested in reconnecting with her writing, so she started sending me song ideas and I was working on them in my studio and before we got together to rehearse for the subsequent tour — that we did in 2014, 2015 — we thought it would be great to look into some of these things that we'd been working on "across the pond," so to speak. In the studio the energy was just so potent, but it was just extraordinary, and one thing led to another and it ended up being a duet album and we were very, very excited that that was the case.

Brian Oake: The things that you wrote about, the things that inform these songs, the kind of stories you were trying to tell, had that changed with a 15-year gap?

Buckingham: I had done a great deal of solo work, but had also spent time raising a family, which I started relatively late, and so my songs were about those experiences, and I think hers were really — even though they were love songs — they were through a different lens then what she'd been writing about when she'd been in Fleetwood Mac. Those things coming together made for a whole new equation for us, you know?

Riley: A couple of your band members in Fleetwood Mac, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, play on the record. Did this ever threaten to be a new Fleetwood Mac at any time? Or did you know, " Let's keep this a collaboration, let's keep this a duo?"

Buckingham: Well, I think when we first went in the studio — because Mick and John and I had worked on stuff of mine already — I don't think we were necessarily going in thinking, "Oh, this has got to be a duet album" any more than we were thinking, "This should be a Fleetwood Mac album." I think we were really looking at it as a way to help Christine get back to a part of her skill set, shall we say, and to welcome her back into the band — not just in the context of going out and touring, but to share some studio time with her in the context of the new material she'd been working on and she and I had been working on together. But I will say that only a few days in, certainly within a week of being in the studio, we were so taken with the extraordinary repertoire that we had and we didn't really know if that repertoire would exist after that time. You know, she and I did become a little protective about it being seen as a duet album, so there was never really much of a chance that it might have evolved into a Fleetwood Mac album.

Oake: Earlier this summer, you announced that you were going on this tour. And it goes so well that towards the end of summer, you announce another 22 dates, so I'm guessing that sort of exuberance you felt when you realized that there is something very strong happening here — that the material is good, that you are enjoying your time together — that clearly that must translate into the live performance.

Buckingham: Well, it really does. We have an extraordinary group of musicians backing us up and — I think as much as we were very pleased and confident in the result of the recording and how the album turned out — the idea of doing a tour on a bit of a smaller scale … I mean, it's really a blessing in a way, because this is where you can still take risks and where you can really enjoy a more intimate sense of family on the road with the people you're with, and you can also express things in a way musically that maybe doesn't have to be protective of the status quo as it would, say, on a Fleetwood Mac tour.

Oake: By the way the record, for people who want to know, it's called Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie and that's why you're on the road right now. Do you still play some Fleetwood Mac material? Do you find that people are like singing along and losing their minds when you go there?

Buckingham: (Laughs) Well, what is so nice about our careers is you sort of have to factor in the equation of time. Now when those albums were successful, as happens with … there are a lot of bands that have success in the moment. You have to wait a certain amount of time to know whether you did your job properly to see whether the body of work — in our case, whether it has legs. So the beauty of Fleetwood Mac right now is that we can go out and basically restate that body of work and we're playing to basically three generations of people, to whom that music seems to resonate and make sense, so obviously we did our job right and you don't know that in the moment so much. So if you take that mentality to a duet tour like this, obviously you have to find a balance between presenting what is new and what is about the moment and what may be something a little more familiar. And we are actually playing eight out of 10 songs on the album, and it's all about how you structure a set in order to keep people engaged, but of course, we are still doing a lot of familiar things as well. I think if we didn't do that, they'd probably run us out on a rail.

Interview transcribed by Simone Cazares.

Resources

Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie - official site

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default another review

Up Close and Personal with Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie
CONCERT REVIEWS, HOMEPAGE | Nov 10, 2017

I feel attached to the music of Fleetwood Mac in more ways than one. The lyrics, melodies and the combined personalities of the band are a few of the more obvious reasons for my enchantment, but what really captures me most of all are the voices of Fleetwood Mac.

Hearing those voices in person for the first time four years ago was a special dream come true. Looking back to that moment, I remember realizing just how much this band was affecting me personally. It’s been easy for me to take the messages in their music quite literally, especially the ones about love and loss, and I believe they’ve helped me make it through some of the most confusing moments in my life, stemming back to when I discovered Fleetwood Mac at 16 years old. Now, hearing two of those voices, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie, isolated profoundly in the quaint Northrop Auditorium where I graduated High School, was more than a special dream come true – it was a euphoric call to new beginnings.

Each member of Fleetwood Mac has a story to tell. While some are individual, most of their stories involve one another. They’re told strategically and openly through their music, and I can’t think of many bands who have that same type of deep connection. I didn’t realize the depth of that until I spent the evening watching Lindsey and Christine perform alone together for the first time. Their story is one that I didn’t know much about prior, and the best part about that is the fact that it’s not done evolving. It was inspiring to watch something as personal as that unfold on stage, and I feel like the two of them needed to go through that collaboration together.

If you know me well, you know how much I love Stevie Nicks. I admire her lyrical craftmanship and fearless sense of self-identity. With Christine McVie, the feeling is mutual, but also includes a different type of fondness – one that’s locked in specifically on the sound of her voice. It’s crystal clear, full of volume and structurally her own. I loved singing along with the Fleetwood Mac songs she’s made so charming like You Make Lovin’ Fun and Everywhere. One song I was really sad to miss was Songbird, which I love because she wrote it entirely on her own. Perhaps it would be more suitable for a large-scale Fleetwood Mac concert, as a part of a Rumours type of flow. Hearing Christine sing Little Lies with Lindsey by her side made me feel so happy. I confidently sang along using Stevie’s harmonies, which made me yearn for a time when I could see the entire Fleetwood Mac family perform together again. I hope I don’t have to wait too long for that.

Forgive my millennial lingo here, but Lindsey Buckingham is hot AF. The amount of talent and intensity that man has is stunning to see in person. To hear the sound of his guitar combined with his powerful voice in such an intimate setting was extraordinary. How he can range from a soft whisper to a huge, drowned out yell in an instant blows me away. He has a lot in him, and it’s attractive as hell. On-stage, my favorite moments of his are were the ones full of angst heard mostly vividly in Trouble and Never Going Back Again. It’s really cute how he geeks out about performing; you can tell he really enjoys it. It was very obvious that he was meant to go through this music making process with Christine McVie and vise-versa.

The new songs off Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie were enjoyable to hear live. In My World sounded hip, and felt like it would be well received by my generation in either a club or swanky bar setting. I feel like Christine’s keys are the main reason for this assumption. She easily caters to today’s popular electronic scene but doesn’t lose her rock and roll foundation while doing so. In Love is Here to Stay, I liked how Lindsey Buckingham matched up his vocals to his chords, creating a something new and fresh out of nothing. Out of all the new material I heard that night, I’ve decided that my favorite song off their new album is Feel About You. It has that old-school Fleetwood vibe that I just can’t seem to rid myself from.

Despite the break-ups and differences Fleetwood Mac may have had along the way, it’s the integrity they have for themselves and for one another that has kept them going strong. I really like exploring all the different relationships and musical connections within the band, making this time with Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie perfect for me as a die-hard Fleetwood Mac fan. Above everything else, I give them credit for continuously exercising their creativity and passion for the music they make. Their songs, new and old, always represent them, and I think that’s what making music is all about.