The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, was wondering if anyone could tell me how focused has to do with '92...
Old 03-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
Hey, was wondering if anyone could tell me how focused has to do with '92...
Didn't the word 'focus' start to become commonly used around that time? I think that's what she may have meant.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I don't think that's mean. I think that's honest. And kinda sad.
I don't think it's especially mean either. I think it's honest too.

Lindsey himself has acknowledged that in the past he would put most all of his energy toward his music and his romantic relationships because those were the only things that were important to him. It's been more recently that he's tried to cultivate more friendships to round out his life a little more.

Having said that though, I would wonder how much insight Christine would have had into Lindsey's personal relationships with anyone outside of those connected to the band in 1992. He's also indicated that their relationship was friendly, but mostly rooted in musical interactions, not deeply personal ones. I don't see a sense of upset from either one about it; It's just a matter of fact.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We are all so loyal to our Queen.
You guys aren't serious, are you?!

Knock it off -- you're genuinely scaring me, damnit! I can't tell whether you're parroting the kids on the other ledge ...?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
I don't think it's especially mean either. I think it's honest too.
It's not mean or dishonest, but I don't think it's accurate. Lindsey certainly likes his solitude, but there have always been friends -- mainly fellow musicians -- buzzing around him, recording with him, even living with him.
Quote:
He's also indicated that their relationship was friendly, but mostly rooted in musical interactions, not deeply personal ones.
I never noticed any close friendship among that whole group of people, except for the very obvious instance of Stevie & Mick.

The other three didn't socialize with one another outside Fleetwood Mac events.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

Knock it off -- you're genuinely scaring me, damnit! I can't tell whether you're parroting the kids on the other ledge ...?
Our fingers firmly implanted in our ears- "sha la la sha la la......"
YES David, we are serious. Clearly, you don't understand. Goodbye.
Yet still, we are serious. Seriously serious.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 03-07-2005 at 09:57 PM..
Old 03-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Our fingers firmly implanted in our ears- "sha la la sha la la......"
YES David, we are serious. Clearly, you don't understand. Goodbye.
Yet still, we are serious. Seriously serious.
Well, she's wonderful & all, & God knows she's influenced me, but I tend to agree with Christine's own estimation of herself.

However, she's certainly my favorite member of the group.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It's not mean or dishonest, but I don't think it's accurate. Lindsey certainly likes his solitude, but there have always been friends -- mainly fellow musicians -- buzzing around him, recording with him, even living with him.
I never noticed any close friendship among that whole group of people, except for the very obvious instance of Stevie & Mick.

I have some LB interview (from about 1993?) where he says he had maybe one close friend (meaning Richard, i believe.) I certainly think he knew tons of people/musicians etc but as far as actually 'giving yourself emotionally' in a close friendship, I doubt he had much of that years ago. Hopefully now that has changed, as he seems to have found more balance in his life.

And also I would venture to say that Mick, John and Chris most definitely did have a friendship outside of FM events; they were more than just co-workers, they had a 'family' type feeling where they did keep up w/ each other. Now, though, I guess things have changed a bit, they're not 15 min away from each other anymore...

Not sure the fling between M and S constituted a true 'friendship' ...? IMO there were much closer friendships within the band than that! Although now they do seem to be tight w/ each other, that's true.

-Lis
Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

what other ledge??!!

-Lis
Old 03-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I have some LB interview (from about 1993?) where he says he had maybe one close friend (meaning Richard, i believe.) I certainly think he knew tons of people/musicians etc but as far as actually 'giving yourself emotionally' in a close friendship, I doubt he had much of that years ago.
Eh, a lot of people don't give their all emotionally to a close friendship; they just have "pal" friends. I really don't know where Lindsey fits on that spectrum.
Quote:
And also I would venture to say that Mick, John and Chris most definitely did have a friendship outside of FM events; they were more than just co-workers, they had a 'family' type feeling where they did keep up w/ each other.
I'd have to say that, once the fame kicked in, I didn't get the impression that they were all bestest friends & confidantes -- more pals, really, pals who (as they all said before) had love & respect for one another.
Quote:
Not sure the fling between M and S constituted a true 'friendship' ...? IMO there were much closer friendships within the band than that! Although now they do seem to be tight w/ each other, that's true.
I have to disagree again. I wasn't referring to their short fling but to their lengthy friendship. Mick & Stevie have always been tight, far tighter than anyone else in the group. He shows up & often plays at her concerts & avidly follows her career. She shows up at Zoo concerts. They vacation together often. They frequently talk about each other in interviews. They gab together, they hang together, they fight, they crack jokes about each other. They've always done that. I think they've been tight for decades in a way that I really don't see among any of the other members.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
what other ledge??!!
The one that erupts with passion & vitriol every now & then!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I see what you're saying about friends vs. pals. However, I think it can be taken a step further. Whereas Mick and Stevie are friends who do a lot together outside of Fleetwood Mac, I see Mick, John, and Christine as being more of a sibling group. If one were to get into trouble, the other would stop what he or she was doing to help out. Especially on the part of Christine. She bailed out Fleetwood Mac in 1970, gave Mick $50K in 1984, and lent John her keyboards in 1992 for his album.

There just seems to be an undying loyalty between those three that does not exist anywhere else in the band. Notice how Stevie and Lindsey quit, but Christine retired. There were hostilities when Lindsey quit and when Stevie quit. But, they gave Christine the gracious exit, and she, in turn, has been very gracious towards the band. Food for thought.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I see what you're saying about friends vs. pals. However, I think it can be taken a step further. Whereas Mick and Stevie are friends who do a lot together outside of Fleetwood Mac, I see Mick, John, and Christine as being more of a sibling group. If one were to get into trouble, the other would stop what he or she was doing to help out. Especially on the part of Christine. She bailed out Fleetwood Mac in 1970, gave Mick $50K in 1984, and lent John her keyboards in 1992 for his album.

There just seems to be an undying loyalty between those three that does not exist anywhere else in the band. Notice how Stevie and Lindsey quit, but Christine retired. There were hostilities when Lindsey quit and when Stevie quit. But, they gave Christine the gracious exit, and she, in turn, has been very gracious towards the band. Food for thought.
I would agree with that. Chris has described Mick & John as being like brothers to her & I know that Mick has often described Chris as being like a sister to him. I think Chris & Mick are still very close, even though they now live on different continents. I'm not as sure about John now though. I hope so.

I'd never heard that she lent her keyboards to John for his solo album. I wonder why she didn't make a little guest appearance herself then.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine McVie: I don’t think so as people. As musicians, yes, I think that he respected me as a musician, and I certainly respected him as a musician. We weren’t close friends. You couldn’t say that. I mean, Lindsey’s not really close friends with anybody.

She could pretty much be talking about Danny Kirwan as well...yet another similarity between Lindsey & Danny.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I see what you're saying about friends vs. pals. However, I think it can be taken a step further. Whereas Mick and Stevie are friends who do a lot together outside of Fleetwood Mac, I see Mick, John, and Christine as being more of a sibling group. .
I just added a 1999 interview from Mick in the Rumours forum, but here's a quote that sort of has to do w/ what we're discussing here..thought it was nice:

Through the years and various line ups, the twin threads of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie have remained unbroken. "John’s been my mate and protector right from the beginning. When I replaced a well known drummer in a band and one guy in the audience started booing me, John stepped up to the mike and told him to shut up and give me a chance. That was my first taste of John McVie’s capacity for friendship and it’s never wavered. I was in a terrible mess with my wife and Stevie but John would just be, like, ‘You’ve got yourself in a pickle, haven’t you?’ And I was having a go at him because he was splitting up from Christine, which broke my heart.
"John’s very different from me. He’s very bright, well read, understated. We don’t see that much of each other, but he is like my brother."

-Lis