User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStevieFan66 View Post

It's great that she does different projects during her Mac breaks. I truly hope she joins them for a proper studio album at some point. Have a feeling she may surprise us with a solo album. Keeping my fingers crossed for something new either way. But until then, I'm totally digging her songs with other peeps. Her recording of "Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go" is stark, beautiful and such a gift. Eager to hear her music with Lana Del Rey. Lots of new stuff from the Macsters. I only wish it was the five fireflies together.
You can never say never but I think the ship has sailed for another Fleetwood Mac album with the five.If she does a solo album it would be great to have a stripped down one like this version of Gypsy and the new soundtrack song.Maybe Rick Rubin would be a good choice to produce.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I assume, though perhaps wrongly, that there will be a full version of this version.

Kevin
Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I don't really like this version as is.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
This version sounds beautiful, but I'm also not a fan of the sequencing of the various lines. I know it's a theme song so it has to be shortened, but it just seems strange how it jumps around.
it's a trailer. They're promoting the film. That's not the whole song.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love that their music is featured still all these years later. The Chain obviously. Now Gypsy.

It is mindboggling to me how this was not a Top 5 hit (let alone number 1). It's perfect. And it sounds amazing today - still after all these years. Not many songs do.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
Gypsy.
It is mindboggling to me how this was not a Top 5 hit (let alone number 1). It's perfect. And it sounds amazing today - still after all these years. Not many songs do.
I agree but if it's any consolation(I don't know how old you are) this video was a HUGE hit with the MTV audience. It got massive airplay for many years.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This song STILL gets massive airplay. It's played more than some of her higher charting singles. "Seven Wonders," also crept into the mainstay despite peaking at #20. Both songs were top ten charting songs on the AOR rock charts in America though.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

nice vocal. A for effort.
But altogether unnecessary revision of a perfect Classic , and more of a dirge than anything. :-( if it had been like the 2000 unplugged version I could excuse it. This is just pale in comparison to Lindsey's productions of the that and the original
Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
nice vocal. A for effort.
But altogether unnecessary revision of a perfect Classic , and more of a dirge than anything. :-( if it had been like the 2000 unplugged version I could excuse it. This is just pale in comparison to Lindsey's productions of the that and the original
I agree. It sucks!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like it. Stevie was obviously sought out to do this song for the show. Perhaps, like Silver Springs, there is a chance she couldn't just offer the song to someone to use, so she put together a piece they could use. I don't see this as a slight to anyone, and probably more of a business decision. Recording this song without Fleetwood Mac probably gives her the right to use this version of her own song without having to seek permission from Fleetwood Mac. And it is sort of a dirge sound. Maybe that's the point of it.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A little more info about the new Gypsy from: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/stevi...letter_4572276
"Netflix’s upcoming Gypsy series, starring Naomi Watts as a therapist on the verge of personal and professional disaster, was strongly inspired by Fleetwood Mac‘s 1982 hit “Gypsy” — so it’s only fitting that the song’s composer, Mac singer Stevie Nicks, recorded a new version for the show.
In fact, according to Nicks, the version viewers will hear attached to Gypsy is closer to her original vision for the song, which eventually ended up on Fleetwood Mac’s Mirage album. “I’m very excited for the world to hear ‘Gypsy’ more like I wrote it — on piano,” she told Entertainment Weekly. “I am very proud of this version.”
As showrunner Lisa Rubin told EW, she heard Fleetwood Mac’s version of “Gypsy” for the first time while she was outlining a project at a coffee shop, and was so struck by the song that it “became part of the fabric” of the show, which is set to debut on the streaming service June 30. “It suggests this idea of grounding yourself in who you used to be and the different versions of yourself. There’s melancholy in it, but something that also feels romantic,” said Rubin. “It feels bare and haunting. It’s still the same song, but there’s a darker element.”
Hooked on the track, Rubin toyed with the idea of hiring a different artist to cover it — and then simply using the original version — but ultimately decided she needed a new take from Nicks herself, and made contact through producer Greg Kurstin. Although Nicks took some convincing, Rubin said the sessions offered the singer an opportunity to come “full circle” with the song, and shared Nicks’ delight at discovering that two Gypsy characters own a dog named Stevie.
“I guess Stevie is really into animals, so she loved that. It was a big deal to her. But, I was like ‘No, no, no don’t you understand? I wrote the show listening to your song,'” Rubin laughed. “But she seemed really excited about the dog part.”
Old 06-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it. It's strange to hear a Stevie song as the theme to a TV show.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I like it. It's strange to hear a Stevie song as the theme to a TV show.
I like it too-it's not arranged quite like I think it should be AND it ends rather anti-climatically but it's pretty AND...isn't it great to see Stevie getting more exposure?
*Ricoh*
Old 06-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A little more info (from http://inspirer.life/home/2017/06/st...-new-thriller/ ):

Stevie Nicks Re-Records ‘Gypsy’ for New Netflix Thriller
Earlier this year word spread that Stevie Nicks had re-recorded her Fleetwood Mac classic ‘Gypsy’ for a Netflix series by the same name. Fans were chomping at the bit to see how the song would be reinvented. Well, the wait is over. The stripped down piano version of ‘Gyspy’ is how Nicks says the song was written, with just a piano. Producer Greg Kurstin helped create this new, deeper, ‘Gypsy.’ Kurstin is known for producing songs for artists like Sia and Adele. The song plays at the beginning of each episode with the opening credits.
Gypsy (the series) follows Jean Holloway, (Naomi Watts) a psychologist who’s seemingly perfect life isn’t so perfect. She tends to immerse herself into her patient’s lives, crossing a professional boundary. Holloway begins to lose her true identity in the process of her trying to help her patients.

Creator Lisa Rubin who wrote the pilot while listening to Nicks’ 1982 hit told Entertainment Weekly, “I didn’t know the song ‘Gypsy,’ so when it came on, the tone felt so right. I looked up the lyrics and what it meant and it resonated, all of that longing and feeling, it felt fitting for the show, so it became part of the fabric.” The thought of using another artist’s take on the song mulled around for a while until Executive Producer Liza Chasin had the idea to involve Nicks herself. The original recording still didn’t have the right feel for the show, so the two ladies boldly approached Nicks about re-recording it for their show.

Gypsy‘s first 10-episodes are set to premiere on Netflix Friday, June 30.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At the risk of being redundant, one more article! (Each one does seem to offer a little info. that others don't):
http://ew.com/music/2017/06/23/stevi...gypsy-netflix/

Stevie Nicks re-records Fleetwood Mac's 'Gypsy' for Naomi Watts Netflix thriller
JOEY NOLFI@JOEYNOLFI

POSTED ON JUNE 23, 2017 AT 9:00AM EDT

If Gypsy’s title conjures thoughts of Stevie Nicks crooning the same-named Fleetwood Mac tune, you’re thinking like a showrunner. Lisa Rubin wrote the pilot — about a therapist-gone-wild’s harrowing identity crisis — while listening to the reflective track, which Nicks re-recorded for the show’s opening credits. EW is premiering the new version exclusively above.

“I’m very excited for the world to hear ‘Gypsy’ more like I wrote it — on piano. I am very proud of this version,” Nicks told EW in a statement about the latest iteration of the 1982 hit, which features stripped production from superstar producer Greg Kurstin, who’s crafted tunes from Adele’s “Hello” to Sia’s “Chandelier.”

Rubin’s first foray into the world of television stars Naomi Watts as Jean Holloway, an established New York City mental health professional whose sense of self — despite a picture-perfect life (her successful lawyer husband, played by Billy Crudup, and bright young child happily await her return each evening in their spacious Connecticut home) — is nearly derailed by her insatiable curiosity, which ultimately sees her skirting ethical lines as she dangerously inserts herself deeper and deeper into her patients’ lives.

ALISON ROSA/NETFLIX
In a less deliberate twist of fate, Gypsy might not exist at all if it wasn’t for its namesake composition, which Rubin says she heard for the first time over the in-store radio at a coffee shop, where she sat piecing together an outline for a potential project.

“I didn’t know the song ‘Gypsy,’ so when it came on, the tone felt so right. I looked up the lyrics and what it meant and it resonated, all of that longing and feeling, it felt fitting for the show, so it became part of the fabric,” Rubin tells EW of the track’s soul-searching lyrics as they relate to the series. “It suggests this idea of grounding yourself in who you used to be and the different versions of yourself. There’s melancholy in it, but something that also feels romantic… It feels bare and haunting. It’s still the same song, but there’s a darker element… Tonally, there’s both an eeriness and something bare that speaks to the ideas of identity and everything that’s going on at Jean’s core.”

With a completed script in hand and production on the series well underway in early 2016, Rubin admits Working Title Films president (and Gypsy executive producer) Liza Chasin drove the idea for Nicks’ involvement home thanks to a few well-placed connections in the music industry. After ideas of hiring a contemporary artist to cover “Gypsy” evolved into simply using the original Fleetwood Mac cut, Rubin explains something still didn’t feel quite right, and Chasin combed her network (“To pull that off was a pretty baller move,” Rubin notes) to facilitate a collaboration between Kurstin — whom Nicks wanted to work with — and the legendary singer. By September, after hard lobbying (Rubin even wrote a personal letter to Nicks), the song was recorded.

“Stevie’s doing that same thing [as Jean] here, in that she’s revisiting [something about herself],” Rubin observes. “It speaks to the overall idea of identity for her, for Jean, and for me. It all feels full-circle.”

ALISON ROSA/NETFLIX
Rubin finally got the chance to complete that circle when she met Nicks face-to-face after the song was done. “I met her after [shooting wrapped]. I think she was most excited, actually, at the idea that [Gypsy characters] Sam [Karl Glusman] and Sidney [Sophie Cookson] have a dog named Stevie because Sidney is obsessed with Stevie Nicks,” Rubin recalls. “I guess Stevie is really into animals, so she loved that. It was a big deal to her. But, I was like, no, no, no don’t you understand? I wrote the show listening to your song! [Laughs]. But she seemed really excited about the dog part.”

Gypsy‘s first 10-episode season premieres on Netflix in full Friday, June 30. Listen to the show’s titular inspiration as reimagined by Nicks above.