User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 06-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's very sublime but I don't like the "cut and paste" style in trying to fit the whole song into a minute and 20 seconds. Hopefully there is a full version that will be released on iTunes, as it is absolutely gorgeous and her vocal is stellar!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Beautiful! It definitely fits for an opening to a TV show. I don't know that it's meant to be used for anything other than that, Sorcerer999 but I wouldn't mind hearing an entire song!

Thank you for posting this D!

Last edited by Tango; 06-23-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder why she changed the lyric to "...and lightning struck only once..."?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I wonder why she changed the lyric to "...and lightning struck only once..."?
I don't know. Perhaps it has to do with the context of the show? Anyone here know anything about it?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Entertainment Weekly gave the series a stellar review. It stars Naomi Watts as a counselor who, for reasons revealed as the series progresses, begins to secretly get involved in her client's lives. Billy Crudup also stars as her husband. The review mentioned lots of mirrors as a metaphor, which sounds very Stevie-like. Also, the producer said she wrote the pilot while listening to the original version of Gypsy, so apparently the show is heavily inspired by the song.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Entertainment Weekly gave the series a stellar review. It stars Naomi Watts as a counselor who, for reasons revealed as the series progresses, begins to secretly get involved in her client's lives. Billy Crudup also stars as her husband. The review mentioned lots of mirrors as a metaphor, which sounds very Stevie-like. Also, the producer said she wrote the pilot while listening to the original version of Gypsy, so apparently the show is heavily inspired by the song.
Thank you bw.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I saw the he preview for this show and even though it's called Gypsy, it's not Bohemian. It doesn't feel like Stevie. I don't see it being compatible with her style. The music I heard is not really rock either. Odd fit.
I read the comment section on the show's trailer and many said Gypsy doesn't seem like a good name choice. I also tend to agree. However, the writer of the show says she used the name because the song resonates with the main character and she listened to it while writing the show's pilot. So maybe the actual show will provide a better explanation.

Last edited by Dreamz19; 06-23-2017 at 03:02 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This version sounds beautiful, but I'm also not a fan of the sequencing of the various lines. I know it's a theme song so it has to be shortened, but it just seems strange how it jumps around.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deribish View Post
Wow. I loved that more than I thought I would. I want to hear the full song.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamz19 View Post
I read the comment section on the show's trailer and many said Gypsy doesn't seem like a good name choice. I also tend to agree. However, the writer of the show says she used the name because the song resonates with the main character and she listened to it while writing the show's pilot. So maybe the actual show will provide a better explanation.
Well Gypsy is about revisiting the past and there is a melancholy to it which suggests soul searching. The song inspired the writing of this character. This woman is soul searching and taking stock of her life - that fits with the the song. However, the feel of Gypsy is nomadic and bohemian but I don't feel that from the previews.

The life reflection and soul searching of some one who didn't get everything she wanted out of life is definitely there though.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thank you bw.
You're welcome, Tango
Old 06-23-2017, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Well Gypsy is about revisiting the past and there is a melancholy to it which suggests soul searching. The song inspired the writing of this character. This woman is soul searching and taking stock of her life - that fits with the the song. However, the feel of Gypsy is nomadic and bohemian but I don't feel that from the previews.

The life reflection and soul searching of some one who didn't get everything she wanted out of life is definitely there though.
Gypsy is a now somewhat controversial term for the Romani people. They're an oppressed ethnic group that has been subjected to genocide, they're not a fashionable example of the nomadic boho life. When Stevie wrote the song it was different but these days people are much more offended by it and try to be more sensitive about the usage of terms like that so that's why I'd agree it's not a good idea to name the show Gypsy.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love this sparse, versions of Gypsy..
I hope that they do it like this in 2018.
Part of the Acoustic set, maybe just Stevie and Christine could do it...
Old 06-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Ledgie

Love this new version of Gypsy. I hope that it will be released as a complete song, but probably not.

Remember, Stevie did this version a few years back? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dSJQdDqv0s
She sings it lovely but I wish she wasn't "playing" piano lol.

It's great that she does different projects during her Mac breaks. I truly hope she joins them for a proper studio album at some point. Have a feeling she may surprise us with a solo album. Keeping my fingers crossed for something new either way. But until then, I'm totally digging her songs with other peeps. Her recording of "Your Hand I Will Never Let It Go" is stark, beautiful and such a gift. Eager to hear her music with Lana Del Rey. Lots of new stuff from the Macsters. I only wish it was the five fireflies together.