The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
As the man who'd just been circumcised said!

Gail
*groan*

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the love of a songbird, I didn't mean to cause any arguments or conflict with the post.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksIllume
For the love of a songbird, I didn't mean to cause any arguments or conflict with the post.
It happens all the time.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Well, again, it's just a term that is used to describe Stevie die-hards. A chiffonhead is to Stevie what a Deadhead is to the Grateful Dead. You don't have to be crazy.
Okay.

Quote:
Okay, I think I see where the difference is. You're talking more about Stevie the person, where we're talking about Stevie the persona. I agree that compared to most celeberties, she's normal. However, Christine is normal in comparison to the average person, hence why people refer to Christine as being normal, regular, real, etc. What we're saying is that Christine is one of us. I could totally picture running into Christine at the grocery store. Stevie, not so much. By all accounts, Stevie ALWAYS had that superstar quality. She was even prom queen. To us a "That '70s Show" analogy, Christine is to Donna what Stevie is to Jackie. Incidentally, I still say the tackiest thing I've seen Stevie with in recent times is that plastic singing fish!
Yeah, the plastic fish is pretty bad! But I don't know about Christine. It seems like people think they have her figured out, but I wonder sometimes. She's so private. She purposefully put herself in the background. She didn't want fame, as we've said many times. To me, this implies that there's a whole lot more to her than any of us will ever know. I tend to be attracted to personalities like hers because I think, Won't it be great if I'm the one person who really gets to know her? People who are like puzzles are thrilling to know, IMO. Maybe there are all kinds of private aspects of her life that are more bizarre than we think, and they would be fascinating, but the point is that we're not supposed to know because she never really wanted us to, right? She didn't want to be "the star" of the band. Am I making sense? I've been thinking about this for awhile but have never voiced it on this board. (Or any board).
Quote:
And, that is what I had the issue with, more than anything. Keep in mind that I have been a part of the Fleetwood Mac on-line community for about ten years and have seen certain patterns over that time. One, the biggest snobs, truth be told, are the Peter Green-only fans. If Pete's not on it, it's got cooties. Second, most people have some type of issue with Mick. Of course, I still say the band was better off when he was the manager. Over 25 million albums sold can't be wrong! And third, whenever somebody says something about Stevie that is not complimentary, there will always be a Stevie fan to come to her defense, no matter how minor what was actually said, and another to give the "you go girl" supportive response. So, after nearly a decade, many of us have taken to assuming certain things here and there. Maybe we're assuming correctly, maybe not. And, let's be honest, what Homer said was pretty minor. Look at the first reply to said post. In any event, I just thought it funny that people would critique a GUY for explaining why some GUYS have a crush on Christine. His answer was honest, and was fairly common. It's not the first time I've heard that comparison.
I know. I would probably jump to conclusions if I were you, too. I imagine that the same kinds of people pop up over and over again. It's inevitable. I still just have a problem with the whole comparison thing. I really do think it takes something away from both people, if the one you're praising can't stand alone and you have to make the other one look bad. I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that I like Stevie more than Lindsey and I have since day one, but I would feel bad if I said something like "I love such and such about Stevie because it's better than such and such about Lindsey." I just don't think it's fair. These people are so different from each other that they can't be compared. And why do you keep saying "GUYS" in all caps like that? Some of us chicks only like chicks! Are we qualified to talk about that at all? (I usually make out with people I don't know, but I think I could make out with both of those ladies if they wanted to! )
Quote:
But her use of metaphores and imagry is lost on a lot of people. WE get it, but then WE're fans. Yes, there are even more out there writers, but they are often not in a situation where they're getting equal time with two other songwriters. In the context of Fleetwood Mac, where she was working with writers who wrote about issues that were pretty straight-forward, her songs can sound silly to the unanointed. Here's a love song, here's an angry song, here's a song about a witch/gypsy/bird...you get my point. In that context, Christine almost always comes out as the normal one.
Yeah, I see your point there.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
And Johnny Stew, you need to stare at ur Stevie Nicks poster for 2 more hours today for getting involved!
Dangit, John... have you been peeking in my windows again?!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I NEVER bother anyone on the What's Her Name forum(never even opened it). I literally couldn't care less.
It's ok, Homie, you don't have to visit the Stevie Forum... you talk about her enough everywhere else (even in your sig lines)!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Well, again, it's just a term that is used to describe Stevie die-hards. A chiffonhead is to Stevie what a Deadhead is to the Grateful Dead. You don't have to be crazy.
By the way, David recently explained the origins of "Chiffonhead," and it definitely wasn't meant to be a term of endearment. Over the years, many of Stevie's fans have taken on the appellation with good humour, but it's still often used by others as a derogatory write-off.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksIllume

hell no, i welcome ur opinions!!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
It's ok, Homie, you don't have to visit the Stevie Forum... you talk about her enough everywhere else (even in your sig lines)!

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was good
Old 04-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I still just have a problem with the whole comparison thing. I really do think it takes something away from both people, if the one you're praising can't stand alone and you have to make the other one look bad.
Actually, in most contexts, I would completely agree. I ALWAYS get a little miffed when people start trashing Billy, Rick, Bekka, and Dave (the nineth member of the Mac to be inducted, albeit with Traffic). Some Green fans get on my nerves when they dismiss everything after Peter. Lindsey/Stevie fans annoy me when they say things like there was no Mac before Stevie and Lindsey, or that Fleetwood Mac was just a blues band prior to 1975. (Wow, I bet Bob Welch would be shocked to learn he's a blues man.) For me, it's all good. But this is a little different in that we are talking about human attraction.
Quote:
And why do you keep saying "GUYS" in all caps like that? Some of us chicks only like chicks! Are we qualified to talk about that at all?
Actually, I keep saying GUYS because, well, I've seen the guys Christine has gone for, and honestly, if I were twenty years older, I'd have a shot. I mean, what a wonderful woman. She's pretty, she's down-to-earth, she's talented, she likes dogs, she's rich and famous, she has (or had) a boat, and she likes men of the two-to-three-beers-before-they-seem-like-a-good-idea variety. She's everything I've ever wanted in a woman! But, yes, I guess girls who like girls can talk about that, too.
Quote:
(I usually make out with people I don't know, but I think I could make out with both of those ladies if they wanted to! )
YOU GO GIRL!!!

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-18-2005 at 05:57 PM..
Old 04-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, again, it's just a term that is used to describe Stevie die-hards. A chiffonhead is to Stevie what a Deadhead is to the Grateful Dead.
Mmm-hmmmm....sure, Steve. Nice gloss job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
By the way, David recently explained the origins of "Chiffonhead," and it definitely wasn't meant to be a term of endearment. Over the years, many of Stevie's fans have taken on the appellation with good humour, but it's still often used by others as a derogatory write-off.
Actually, I'd say that Steve is closer to "the origins" of the term...the derrogatory intent came later. Just 180 degrees OPPOSITE of "Deadhead"...which STARTED as a derrogatory term and evolved into an endearment...because those who WERE described as "Deadheads" TOOK it as a compliment, in SPITE of and in the face of how it was intended. And, we see where it has gotten.

So, for those who take offense at the "chiffonhead" label...toss aside the offense and wear the moniker proudly...you deserve it. I used to be one YEARS before the term was coined...so, from 1975 to about 1983 were my "chiffonhead" years...I'm proud of 'em.

Quote:
You don't have to be crazy.
But...it helps!

Last edited by chiliD; 04-18-2005 at 06:10 PM..
Old 04-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
But...it helps!
It ALWAYS helps

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
So, for those who take offense at the "chiffonhead" label...toss aside the offense and wear the moniker proudly...you deserve it. I used to be one YEARS before the term was coined...so, from 1975 to about 1983 were my "chiffonhead" years...I'm proud of 'em.
I've always been extremely proud to be a Stevie fan, no matter what someone else might call me in the process.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It ALWAYS helps
Hell, you have to be a little crazy just to survive life!

Or, as I always say: Everyone is crazy -- some people are just better at hiding it.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:58 PM

u guys are a lot of fun today!