Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why Midnight Special 1976

Ok so I just saw this performance today and I have to say I was completely blown away!!! I had never heard this song before and Christine just sounded incredible on the entire thing! Her emotion and the way she hit every note spot on was just amazing! Of course when Lindsey then segued into his guitar solo it was incredible...he needs to do an acoustic guitar album. And then when the Lindsey and Stevie came in to sing harmony at the end...wow!! The three of their voices stood out more on that performance than any other live one I've ever seen!! Just the way they blended together was phenomenal. Their vocal was just the main focus at the end and it was about as perfect as three part harmonies can sound. Also not to bring up the (sometimes too) much talked about "soap opera" of the band but this song must have been somewhat emotional for all of them to sing/play considering this was performed in 1976 when all the drama was basically hitting the fan...I can only imagine the sentiment going on during the performance...very moving. If you haven't seen it yet here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oec-I2Vl0
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeppers, dats the chit! On the launch pad ...destination-strasosphere. The very precipice of super stardom. It's so intoxicating. Thank you for sharing - I LUV it!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My two favorite Christine songs together. Brilliant.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely LOVED Midnight Special back in the day! Thanks for sharing that link, it is very moving! My absolute favorite FM Midnight Special performance is Rhiannon!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py3w5...&feature=feedf

Whenever I need a, "Rhiannon' fix this is the one I go to! I love that youtube has so many of the old vids from back in the day! It's like history is preserved! This performance was, "Outta sight....outta mind!"
Old 08-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Why" is one of my favorite Christine-Mac songs. I especially love this performance with the triple-split screen.

And of course, Stevie's shaggy hairstyle.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
Whenever I need a, "Rhiannon' fix this is the one I go to! It's like history is preserved! This performance was, "Outta sight....outta mind!"
Outta sight....outta mind!" The true meaning of this phrase means to be "forgotten."
I know what you really were trying to say was just "outta sight, man!"
Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Outta sight....outta mind!" The true meaning of this phrase means to be "forgotten."
I know what you really were trying to say was just "outta sight, man!"
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! Viv....thanks for catching that! What was I thinking? *shakes head* I was trying to put 2 sayings together from that time and had a, "brain burp!" Not just a little one, but a big one!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I absolutely LOVED Midnight Special back in the day! Thanks for sharing that link, it is very moving! My absolute favorite FM Midnight Special performance is Rhiannon!:

Whenever I need a, "Rhiannon' fix this is the one I go to! I love that youtube has so many of the old vids from back in the day! It's like history is preserved! This performance was, "Outta sight....outta mind!"
The Midnight Special was really the only show that featured really cool bands and artists. Back then there was no internet (to state the obvious), no cable, and the limited amount of talk shows and other shows that would otherwise feature music acts -- and those stayed in the mainstream, and stayed away from aby act that couldn't be deemed as squeeky clean for the masses.

I remember early in my Fleetwood Mac fandom, while I was still discovering the eras of the band before Stevie and Lindsey, I saw the in-studio live sessions with the 1974 with Heroes Are Hard to Find band, with Bob Welch, as well as a couple of support players, which included another keyboard player. I was sort of confused but fascinated!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-22-2011 at 12:31 AM..
Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Supporting Ledgie

I have always loved that version of WHY... Lindsey's guitar is great... the harmonies at the end. Beautimus!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I totally agree that "Rhiannon" is amazing. She becomes Rhiannon for the song and just completely kills it!! Stevie totally looks like she is completely possessed by the end of the song! I'm also totally in love with Christine's little piano riff that she does in the instrumental part...it just suits the mood so well! Seeing them all together "just jamming" just makes it seem so organic (Lindsey would be proud of me for that one ) and totally rock n' roll. Not that they ever weren't but in the early years they just looked like they were SO happy to be doing what they were doing.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDustWoman22 View Post
Ok so I just saw this performance today and I have to say I was completely blown away!!! I had never heard this song before and Christine just sounded incredible on the entire thing! Her emotion and the way she hit every note spot on was just amazing! Of course when Lindsey then segued into his guitar solo it was incredible...he needs to do an acoustic guitar album. And then when the Lindsey and Stevie came in to sing harmony at the end...wow!! The three of their voices stood out more on that performance than any other live one I've ever seen!! Just the way they blended together was phenomenal. Their vocal was just the main focus at the end and it was about as perfect as three part harmonies can sound. Also not to bring up the (sometimes too) much talked about "soap opera" of the band but this song must have been somewhat emotional for all of them to sing/play considering this was performed in 1976 when all the drama was basically hitting the fan...I can only imagine the sentiment going on during the performance...very moving. If you haven't seen it yet here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oec-I2Vl0
OMG thank you so much for posting. I don't know that I've ever seen this particular performance, if so I'd long forgotten about it. Perfection!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I remember early in my Fleetwood Mac fandom, while I was still discovering the eras of the band before Stevie and Lindsey, I saw the in-studio live sessions with the 1974 with Heroes Are Hard to Find band, with Bob Welch, as well as a couple of support players, which included another keyboard player. I was sort of confused but fascinated!

If you're referring to the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show appearance, that wasn't "in-studio" that was live in a theatre (granted, a small capacity theatre, probably 2,000 or less capacity), not a studio soundstage as was MIdnight Special. I know, I was in the audience. Plus, the only "support player" during that performance was Doug Graves, who played organ & synthesiser, while Christine focused on acoustic & electric pianos only.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
If you're referring to the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show appearance, that wasn't "in-studio" that was live in a theatre (granted, a small capacity theatre, probably 2,000 or less capacity), not a studio soundstage as was MIdnight Special. I know, I was in the audience. Plus, the only "support player" during that performance was Doug Graves, who played organ & synthesiser, while Christine focused on acoustic & electric pianos only.
This was after Walker/Weston had left, when it was just the four of them? So I guess a "support player" was needed to help fill in the sound.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Thanks for clarifying that for me (long nets of white cloud my memory, to quote Stevie). Do you remember the date?

Perhaps you have written about this in another thread...but what was the circumstance in which you were in attendance (are you spotted in the film!)?

What was the atmosphere/mood like, regarding the band and response of the audience? Did they do retakes? Was the entire show included in the film?

Wish it would get a DVD release!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-24-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyRose View Post
OMG thank you so much for posting. I don't know that I've ever seen this particular performance, if so I'd long forgotten about it. Perfection!
I totally agree! I'm pretty sure I've watched this performance over 100 times and I still can't find anything wrong with it...so amazing!!