Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Harrisburg (Review - The Patriot News)

Fleetwood Mac artist shines in solo act
http://www.pennlive.com/entertainmen...470.xml&coll=1

Wednesday, April 04, 2007BY KIRA L. SCHLECHTEROf The Patriot-News
It's unfair to merely refer to Lindsey Buckingham as the guitarist and one of the singer-songwriters in Fleetwood Mac, because the enormity of that tends to overshadow the extraordinary, eccentric talent of the man on his own.

Last night's sold-out show at Harrisburg's Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts was a rare treat. Buckingham performed in an intimate theater as opposed to the arenas his band inhabits on their tours. Along with his solo work, he selected both signature, melodic Mac material as well as the band's more experimental songs.

Starting out alone for "Not Too Late" and continuing solo for a sparsely arranged "Trouble" and the Mac hit "Never Going Back Again," Buckingham's quirky, raspy voice and remarkable guitar virtuosity set a standard of excellence that did not flag.

He treats songs as works in progress, evolving them, never satisfied with one way of looking at them. He takes the music on flights with his guitar work, but never meanders.

Joined by his equally capable band -- guitarist Neale Haywood, percussionist Walfredo Reyes Jr. and guitarist-bassist Brett Tuggle -- Buckingham crackled on "Second Hand News," was ringing and pure on "Cast Away Dreams" and was typically "strange," as he called his songs, on the Mac track "Red Rover."

"It Was You" was as joyous as "Red Rover" was cynical; Buckingham's love song to his family sweet but never cloying. A snarling "Big Love" was a highlight -- and they were really too numerous to mention -- as was a sinister "Go Insane" and a transcendent "Under the Skin." Mac's "World Turning," set to a big, beefy groove, led into a multi-echoed percussion solo by Reyes.

An infectious "Know I'm Not Wrong" was followed by a slowed-down, eerie take on Mac's "Tusk," Tuggle's keyboards taking the place of the University of Southern California Trojans marching band to great effect. Buckingham closed with a glorious "Go Your Own Way," letting people strum his guitar at the end, his glee infectious.

Coming back for an encore that included a bouncy "Holiday Road," an airy "Turn It On" and a delicate "Show You How," Buckingham wrapped things up, once again alone, with a confessional and intimate "Shut Us Down," its line "I will stay around as long as I can" feeling very much like a promise to his audience.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM
MoonChilde

At first glance ..I thought Gretchen had started this article...lol ya know about his "Skin"....
but a great article and thanks for sharing MacMan...I just hope Lindsey doesn;t leave Fm knocking for to darn long...
Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...and the acclaim doesn't stop. Good review, But why mention ALL the songs and than only leave out I'm So Afraid....?

Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonChilde View Post
At first glance ..I thought Gretchen had started this article...lol ya know about his "Skin"....
Childe, I did start it, you should know that...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
MoonChilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen View Post
Childe, I did start it, you should know that...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I can;t wait to hear what tomorrow brings.....
and can you please lay a big one on him for me???
Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The "big one" hmmmmmm....that should be transposed, he should lay the "big one"