User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
My nephew is 25 and loves classic rock music including Stevie/Lindsey and FM and he can't stand the current music.
I'm 51 and the late teens/twenty somethings crowd is so impressed that I love the music they listen to. There are a zillion great songs that are new and I think you are doing a dis service to yourself if you ignore music just because it was released in the 21st century. Personally I would be bored ****less having to listen to the same music all my life.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm 51 and the late teens/twenty somethings crowd is so impressed that I love the music they listen to. There are a zillion great songs that are new and I think you are doing a dis service to yourself if you ignore music just because it was released in the 21st century. Personally I would be bored ****less having to listen to the same music all my life.
Nailed it, Viv. I'll never begrudge anyone the right to like what they like. But it seems absurd to just write off an entire era of music. Especially in an era where Stevie and Lindsey's influence on the general music scene has arguably never been higher, and you don't even need to get out of your pyjamas to discover tons of great new music.

Nothing against your nephew, MFF, I just think he's really missing out and that's sad.

I must say though, there is a certain age range that seems to be the most impressionable music-wise. I'm 26 now, but my taste in music seems more or less defined by my musical discoveries when I was 18-23 or so. I'm not consciously shutting new stuff out, but I've noticed I'm not searching for new music or exploring new genres with anything near the fervency I had a few years ago. I miss my new-music-enthusiasm sometimes, but when I talk to others about it, this seems pretty normal.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Nailed it, Viv. I'll never begrudge anyone the right to like what they like. But it seems absurd to just write off an entire era of music. Especially in an era where Stevie and Lindsey's influence on the general music scene has arguably never been higher, and you don't even need to get out of your pyjamas to discover tons of great new music.

Nothing against your nephew, MFF, I just think he's really missing out and that's sad.

I must say though, there is a certain age range that seems to be the most impressionable music-wise. I'm 26 now, but my taste in music seems more or less defined by my musical discoveries when I was 18-23 or so. I'm not consciously shutting new stuff out, but I've noticed I'm not searching for new music or exploring new genres with anything near the fervency I had a few years ago. I miss my new-music-enthusiasm sometimes, but when I talk to others about it, this seems pretty normal.

Hahaha.I understand what you two mean.

It probably sounds like I shut off all of the new artists and music.I'm not condemning it altogether.

They are some good new artists and new tunes out there but the new stuff dont do justice to my liking probably because of the lyrics and auto-tune they use today.

I just cant get into it like I used to.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I love old music. I love new music. People who say 'music isn't good anymore' are just stuck in the past, living in nostalgia. And it varies. I've heard music isn't good anymore, since 1968, since 1972, since 1977, since 1987, since 1991 - it's all baloney to me. Music is still good. Great, in fact.

I'll be 40 in....a little while, and just today I was aksed if I still listen to the same bands I listened to in my teens and early 20's. I was delighted to say 'Nope' (except for FM and Stevie). Most of my favorites now are bands or singers I've discovered within the past 7-10 years. It's great - there's so much out there! You just have to work to find it, and be willing to *listen*. People don't like to listen anymore; they're too busy checking Facebook updates, living in our ADHD society.

On another forum, someone posted their own Top 100 Albums of all time, and another poster said something like...

Quote:
I see there's nothing on your list after 1991. If I had to listen to that list of albums for the rest of my life, I'd kill myself.

And I feel the same way.

However, I do feel I should say that it's *harder* to find great music nowadays. Radio plays a list of 15-25 songs on repeat, and DJs have no say in their playlists. There are very few record stores. There aren't record clubs anymore (BMG, RCoA, Columbia House). There are tens of thousands of albums released every year just in the United States (about 75,000 on an average year), and most people will only know about .0133% of them - or about 10. How can you buy or hear or love music you don't even know exists?

It's a shame, really.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
They are some good new artists and new tunes out there but the new stuff dont do justice to my liking probably because of the lyrics and auto-tune they use today.
It's usually only used for people who can't sing or have issues with key and melody. Like....Katy Perry. I really doubt anyone like Ray LaMontagne, or Neko Case or even Adele would use autotune. They can actually sing!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 08-20-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
It's usually only used for people who can't sing or have issues with key and melody. Like....Katy Perry. I really doubt anyone like Ray LaMontagne, or Neko Case or even Adele would use autotune. They can actually sing!
Yes I understand.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I love old music. I love new music. People who say 'music isn't good anymore' are just stuck in the past, living in nostalgia. And it varies. I've heard music isn't good anymore, since 1968, since 1972, since 1977, since 1987, since 1991 - it's all baloney to me. Music is still good. Great, in fact.

I'll be 40 in....a little while, and just today I was aksed if I still listen to the same bands I listened to in my teens and early 20's. I was delighted to say 'Nope' (except for FM and Stevie). Most of my favorites now are bands or singers I've discovered within the past 7-10 years. It's great - there's so much out there! You just have to work to find it, and be willing to *listen*. People don't like to listen anymore; they're too busy checking Facebook updates, living in our ADHD society.

On another forum, someone posted their own Top 100 Albums of all time, and another poster said something like...

And I feel the same way.

However, I do feel I should say that it's *harder* to find great music nowadays. Radio plays a list of 15-25 songs on repeat, and DJs have no say in their playlists. There are very few record stores. There aren't record clubs anymore (BMG, RCoA, Columbia House). There are tens of thousands of albums released every year just in the United States (about 75,000 on an average year), and most people will only know about .0133% of them - or about 10. How can you buy or hear or love music you don't even know exists?

It's a shame, really.

I agree about radio .It does not matter what format the music is.They play the same handful of tunes over and over again.They dont let more of the new artists have a chance to get their tunes played .its the same for the well seasoned artists too.

I put the blame on corporate radio on this problem.They bought most of the ma-pa stations out.I like tuning in college stations because they play anything.

It probably was me that made the list and commented about anything after 1991 was not in the faves list.LOL...

I actually like some 1990's music.

I happen to enjoy some of those 12 inch singles I've been getting from my friend down the street.

Yes I was shocked that my nephew liked the old stuff over the new stuff which he is 25.

His older brother and younger sister likes the current tunes which they are two years in age apart.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I must say though, there is a certain age range that seems to be the most impressionable music-wise. I'm 26 now, but my taste in music seems more or less defined by my musical discoveries when I was 18-23 or so. I'm not consciously shutting new stuff out, but I've noticed I'm not searching for new music or exploring new genres with anything near the fervency I had a few years ago.
Some day when you are as old as Skip(MFF) and I are now, there will be a really old man(me) listening and liking the music of the modern day and you might just be an old crumudgeon hating what you hear. Hopefully that won't be the case. I'm fond of Skip the person but not fond of Skip the music critic.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some day when you are as old as Skip(MFF) and I are now, there will be a really old man(me) listening and liking the music of the modern day and you might just be an old crumudgeon hating what you hear. Hopefully that won't be the case. I'm fond of Skip the person but not fond of Skip the music critic.

Hahahahahaha.LOL Sorry Viv. A music critic.I should put a application for a music reviewer job with the Rollingstone mag.LOL I probably get fired in a week because of their sales will drop with all of my negative reviews. Plus my crappy English writing too.

I know I'm in a rut and one of those persons that dont like changes and living in a time machine with the buttons for the current life are broken and cant get out of the past.

That like at the supermarket last night .I buy the same ole food every week like vanilla fudge ice cream every week .I got to try another favor.

I know I got to get a life.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some day when you are as old as Skip(MFF) and I are now, there will be a really old man(me) listening and liking the music of the modern day
My father-in-law, in his 60's, has an iPod and loves P!nk, Fun, Macklemore and Maroon 5. He's always got the latest hits.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm 56 and I listen to almost everything musically speaking, always have, always will. Music is the background of my life!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, my name is Sam. Been lurking here for a while, but just made my first post. This seems like a great place to be.
Fave member of the Mac? *points to icon*

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie

Last edited by applebucked; 08-27-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Hey, my name is Sam. Been lurking here for a while, but just made my first post. This seems like a great place to be.
Hey Sam! Welcome! I sure like it here!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Welcome!!! You'll always have to travel to see this band because they've never played the Philippines.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Welcome!!! You'll always have to travel to see this band because they've never played the Philippines.
I KNOW. Not even during their peak. The nearest tour stops are in Australia, but I have no money to spare.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie