Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Kansas, Sprint Center March 28, 2015

A reunited Fleetwood Mac gives a big Sprint Center crowd a potent dose of nostalgia

By TIMOTHY FINN - The Kansas City Star 03/29/2015 10:07 AM

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...#storylink=cpy

This show ended not with a song but with two speeches. One was a short valediction from drummer Mick Fleetwood, a founder of the band, who thanked the huge crowd for its patronage, and the other from Stevie Nicks, one of its three songwriters and lead singers. She recounted the events that led to this reunion tour, which is what this show was: a reunion of this band’s most popular lineup.

Fleetwood Mac never broke up, but in 1998 Christine McVie retired, and for nearly 16 years, the band forged on. But it wasn’t the same without her. Saturday night, for the first time since 1987, the band performed in Kansas City with McVie, nearly filling the Sprint Center and delivering a show that was as rousing and satisfying as it was nostalgic and memorable.

The two-and-a-half-hour show was one steady barrage of hits, and the set list was front-loaded with favorites. The opener was encore-worthy: “The Chain,” a statement about solidarity and a song the crowd recognized from the opening heart-beat thud of Mick Fleetwood’s kick drum. They followed that with one of McVie’s signature songs, “You Make Lovin’ Fun.” Her voice isn’t as glossy or porcelain as it once was, but it handled her leads and harmonies adroitly. Next came “Dreams,” one of Nicks’ best-known songs, then “Second Hand News,” the fourth-straight song from the fabled “Rumour” album, now 38 years old.

There were many highlights. “Rhiannon,” Nicks’ trademark ballad about a Welch goddess, was one. The title track to “Tusk,” which included a sinister intro and featured McVie on accordion, was another. They embellished that with vocal trimmings -- some “da-da-das” that replaced the marching band’s horn section in the original. Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar wizardry was on full display during “Big Love,” which he performed solo. He and Nicks followed that with a lovely rendition of “Landslide.” By the end of that song, the two were holding hands. Then came “Never Going Back Again,” one of eight “Rumours” songs on the set list and yet another that showcased Buckingham’s considerable guitar prowess.

As an intro to “Gypsy,” Nicks told a story. Back before she was famous and wealthy, she went into a store in San Francisco called the Velvet Underground, where the clothes were too expensive for her meager budget. But it inspired her, she said, to pursue her music dreams and to one day return and buy whatever she wanted. “Follow your passion,” was the moral. They played that and “Little Lies” slightly unplugged, with Fleetwood sitting at a “cocktail kit,” as McVie called it.

Throughout the show they got support from three vocalists, a percussionist, a guitarist and keyboard player, all of whom operated in the shadows but added substantial heft to the arrangements.

The only disappointment of the evening: McVie didn’t perform “Songbird,” which was removed from the setlist several weeks ago.

The first set closed with two of Buckingham’s best. First, “I’m So Afraid,” which ended in a furious guitar solo, then “Go Your Own Way,” one of the most ebullient break-up songs ever. On that one, Nicks danced around wearing a big, black top hat. They returned for a three-song encore: “World Turning,” which featured a drum solo by Fleetwood, the ever-inspirational “Don’t Stop,” then “Silver Springs,” the band’s best-known B-side (to “Go Your Own Way”).

Then Nicks emerged and preached about McVie’s return -- at the age of 70 -- and re-dedication to a band that has persevered and sustained so much over more than 40 years: bitter romantic breakups, successful solo careers, McVie’s retirement, bassist John McVie’s battle with cancer. In 2015, Fleetwood Mac is proving no matter which way you go, sometimes you can go back again.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainm...#storylink=cpy
Old 03-29-2015, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, Chris didn't used to do an intro before Little Lies. I hadn't heard one. I wonder when she described Mick's "cocktail kit."

Michele
Old 03-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I was not at the show but I think the author of the article is a bit confused. Mick sits at the other drum set for Gypsy and Over My Head. I think he got Over My Head and Little Lies confused.

I am upset Stevie is back to giving speeches and she did not do one in Miami last week I wonder what gives when she speaks and when she does not. It could be the bored crowd reaction to her Gypsy speech in Miami that pissed her off

Off with your heads..... and no speech for you!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I was not at the show but I think the author of the article is a bit confused. Mick sits at the other drum set for Gypsy and Over My Head. I think he got Over My Head and Little Lies confused.

I am upset Stevie is back to giving speeches and she did not do one in Miami last week I wonder what gives when she speaks and when she does not. It could be the bored crowd reaction to her Gypsy speech in Miami that pissed her off

Off with your heads..... and no speech for you!
You are correct about the author being confused... they should've said "Over My Head," as Mick sits at the regular kit for "Little Lies." I believe the determining factor as to whether or not Stevie gives a speech is how her voice is feeling on any particular night. I believe that's also the reason why "Silver Springs" has been cut from a few shows. It's basically an attempt to take as much stress out of Stevie's voice as possible.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pictures: Fleetwood Mac plays Kansas City's Sprint Center Saturday night

Click for Slide show, KY3

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/21048998_32077664

POSTED: 04:12 PM CDT Mar 29, 2015
Old 03-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Pitch

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archi...ter-last-night

Fleetwood Mac dazzled a (nearly) full house at the Sprint Center last night

Posted By Natalie Gallagher on Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Fleetwood Mac Sprint Center, Kansas City Saturday, March 28

For more photos from last night, go here.

“If you would have asked me ten years ago, I never thought I’d be doing this,” Christine McVie announced to the Sprint Center audience last night, before she began “Everywhere,” her first lead song of the evening.

Indeed, McVie was not alone in that sentiment. The majority of Fleetwood Mac’s throbbing audience – which very nearly sold out the Sprint – had likely never dared to hope the day would come that McVie would once again be taking her place at the keyboard on stage with her former bandmates. After a 16-year absence, this joyful reunion is part of what made last night’s two-and-a-half hour show so special.

The rest was pure nostalgia, with a 22-song setlist packed with fan favorites performed with the kind of enthusiasm artists generally reserve for their freshest material. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were in fine form, the former acting as both a tireless shredder – his agile handiwork was displayed multiple times on the large screen behind the band – and gooey speechmaker.

“I think it's safe to say that we are a group of individuals that has seen its share of ups and downs, all very well documented,” Buckingham told the cheering audience, “but I think you could say that that's what makes us who we are.”

With that, the band launched into a spirited rendition of “Book of Love,” followed by an incendiary “Tusk,” the start of which was heralded by some intense tusk imagery morphing on the back screen. Often a divisive song among Fleetwood Mac loyalists, this version – dark, sexy, smoldering – was massively winning. McVie took up accordion, and Buckingham took the opportunity to let his between-verse yelps get rather primal.

“Sisters of the Moon” came next, and Nicks was magnetic. Throughout the evening, it was hard to tear your eyes away from her: She was stunning in a flowy, all-black ensemble, complete with platforms and fingerless gloves. Her microphone stand was wrapped in strips of black fabric and strands of glittery beads, and she made good use of it as she tipped it toward her dramatically. Her voice has aged only slightly, the rasp a little more pronounced, a little less honeyed, but it suits her.

On the other hand, the years have laid in a little harder to McVie’s voice. Though she still keeps her dusky alto, the range she once had seems limited now – this is the reason, perhaps, that her stunning “Songbird” seems to have been dropped from recent setlists (earlier in the tour, it was being performed).

Still, having McVie back was enough to make up for that. There was something deeply intimate about Fleetwood Mac’s entire concert – a massive achievement, considering the setting. When McVie, Nicks and Buckingham shared a look of deep sentiment as they simultaneously closed “Say You Love Me,” the audience breathed in that personal moment. There was a transparency throughout, as the other band members were so clearly enthused to have McVie back with them.

Buckingham was particularly vocal about his love for this reincarnated lineup of Fleetwood Mac, and for the band’s fans. He introduced “Big Love,” from the band’s 1987 album Tango in the Night, as a song that was written before a good portion of the audience was born – “You have to wait for time to reveal whether you've done your job properly, and I guess we must have done something right,” he added proudly – and he performed it solo. When it was over, he took a bow, patting his heart with his left hand as he soaked up the fervor of the crowd. It was a common gesture from him throughout the night.

Nicks joined Buckingham then for “Landslide,” introducing it with a touching dedication to her late father.

“This next song was my dad’s favorite song,” she told the crowd. “He always thought it was written about him. Of course, it wasn't, but I let him think that because it made him feel good, and I like to mention him now, because it brings him back to me.”

Not even the massive sing-along that began as the duo performed “Landslide” could diminish the impact of the song, and I noticed several audience members around me wiping away tears. Another tender moment: When Buckingham took Nicks’ hand and kissed it before she led into the final verse.

Nicks was again the center of attention for “Gypsy,” which she introduced with a lengthy – but completely worthwhile – story of origin. She was a mystical force as she tossed her head back and twirled and twirled on stage, an ageless queen. During “Gold Dust Woman,” she delivered a witchy, full-bodied dance; it looked like an exceptionally beautiful bit of exorcism.

Buckingham took the spotlight for “I’m So Afraid,” and despite the lyrics, he didn’t exactly come across as a man with any fear in him. More than any other, this song featured some impressive and heavy riffs. Buckingham’s talent as a guitarist was never far from the mind, and though the jam session featured in “I’m So Afraid” bordered on showboating, it is easily forgiven (and most in the audience likely didn’t mind).

The set closer was “Go Your Own Way,” and Nicks donned her black top hat for it. Buckingham extended his guitar into the audience members crushed up against the stage, allowing a few eager hands to pluck at his strings.

The encore wasn’t far behind, and Mick Fleetwood got his well-deserved moment of glory with the extensive drum solo that is “World Turning.” The addition of his crowd-hyping yelps were not as necessary as he seemed to think them, but they served their purpose, and soon the rest of the band returned for “Don’t Stop.” The song seemed to have a greater meaning in the context of McVie’s return, and that wasn’t lost on the Sprint Center audience, which enthusiastically recited the chorus.

The final song of the night was the heartbreaking “Silver Springs,” perhaps because Fleetwood Mac wanted to leave its audience in tears. Nicks performed it phenomenally, and when she sang Time casts a spell on you, but you won’t forget me, there was an understanding among fans: No matter how much time passes, Fleetwood Mac is unforgettable.

The night ended with brief statements from Fleetwood and Nicks, and though Fleetwood followed her, it was Nicks whose words felt the most sincere. She addressed the audience as casually as she would a group of friends: “I want you to love each other and make peace in the world and be kind to each other and sing and dance and stay in the groove,” she said, beaming. “And come see us next time.”
Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
With that, the band launched into a spirited rendition of “Book of Love,” followed by an incendiary “Tusk,” the start of which was heralded by some intense tusk imagery morphing on the back screen.
Well, that would be a first...
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Both these reviews mention Christine's voice not being what it used to be, which is true but also unfair. Of all the three singers, her voice is the one that has retained most of the features from the band's glory days.

Neither reviewer mentions Lindsey's voice, perhaps because he is seen primarily as a guitar player/architect? Or perhaps because, musically, women and their voices are held to a higher scrutiny and standard?

The second reviewer mentioned Stevie's voice being better than ever. I saw her twice on this tour and concur that she is doing a good job, but hers has diminished far more than Christine's.

Odd.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Well, that would be a first...
I like my renditions of Book of Love spirited. That's for sure.

What kind of person are you who knows the title of Fleetwood Mac's Book of Love, but not Big Love? I mean ...

Michele
Old 03-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Both these reviews mention Christine's voice not being what it used to be, which is true but also unfair. Of all the three singers, her voice is the one that has retained most of the features from the band's glory days.

Neither reviewer mentions Lindsey's voice, perhaps because he is seen primarily as a guitar player/architect? Or perhaps because, musically, women and their voices are held to a higher scrutiny and standard?

The second reviewer mentioned Stevie's voice being better than ever. I saw her twice on this tour and concur that she is doing a good job, but hers has diminished far more than Christine's.

Odd.
Of all the three voices, I think Lindsey sounds the worst. When he sings his part on Gypsy I want to cringe. It's somewhere between a howl and a bark.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like my renditions of Book of Love spirited. That's for sure.

What kind of person are you who knows the title of Fleetwood Mac's Book of Love, but not Big Love? I mean ...

Michele
My mind went to Big Love first too, but they said it was followed by Tusk. Right before Tusk is IKINW, which would make this reviewer really, well, wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
Of all the three voices, I think Lindsey sounds the worst. When he sings his part on Gypsy I want to cringe. It's somewhere between a howl and a bark.
I think it's a toss up between Lindsey and Stevie whose voice has deteriorated the most over the years. Christine sounds practically the same. For me, Everywhere is my cringe song. Granted, I'm not a big fan of it to begin with, but both times I saw them in concert this tour, I noticed how off Lindsey sounded on it. And I say this as a die hard Lindsey fan.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think it's a toss up between Lindsey and Stevie whose voice has deteriorated the most over the years. Christine sounds practically the same. For me, Everywhere is my cringe song. Granted, I'm not a big fan of it to begin with, but both times I saw them in concert this tour, I noticed how off Lindsey sounded on it. And I say this as a die hard Lindsey fan.
Maybe that's why Lindsey doesn't sing on OMH.

Michele
Old 03-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think it's a toss up between Lindsey and Stevie whose voice has deteriorated the most over the years. Christine sounds practically the same...
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. And yet, a few recent reviews keep saying it's Chrstine's voice that has deteriorated and that Stevie sounds better than ever, which is just plain horse manure. She sounds okay, but her voice is pretty much stripped of its former glory. And, again, Lindsey's voice is never even considered.

I have a few ideas on why some critics are going in this direction:

1. Many of these concert reviews are being written by people who came to the band no earlier than The Dance and probably continued to follow Mac as "Stevie's band" throughout the 2000s.

2. Given Christine's long absence, people tend to forget that she was NEVER a center-stage persona and was always a laid-back, earthy performer whose moments of calm were contrasted with the moments of higher drama. Ironically, I think she is exhibiting a lot more personality this tour (not including her lack of actual piano playing) than she did on The Dance.

3. Sexism--the girls' voices are a central issue whereas the boy is heralded as a genius guitar player and musical architect.

4. People expect more vocally from Stevie and Christine because their voices are more distinctive on the original albums.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

2. Given Christine's long absence, people tend to forget that she was NEVER a center-stage persona and was always a laid-back, earthy performer whose moments of calm were contrasted with the moments of higher drama. Ironically, I think she is exhibiting a lot more personality this tour (not including her lack of actual piano playing) than she did on The Dance.

3. Sexism--the girls' voices are a central issue whereas the boy is heralded as a genius guitar player and musical architect.

4. People expect more vocally from Stevie and Christine because their voices are more distinctive on the original albums.
2. I think Christine was more a director on The Dance tour and in past tours than she is this time. She may be exhibiting more personality in her song intro, but in the past, in between songs if there had to be comments made to the crowd or to another band member, she did that a lot more often in past tours than she does this tour.

3. I don't think it's sexism.

4. Agreed. Lindsey has never been known for having a distinctive voice, anyway. People probably don't remember what he sounded like before enough to care about what he sounds like now in contrast. Even I will listen to a song like Magnet and Steel and not notice Lindsey on that. Certainly, I hear Stevie, her background vocals make the song. But Lindsey ... You can know GYOW back and forth, but still not pick up Lindsey's voice in a crowd.

Whereas, many times I can hear Stevie or Christine's voice on a loud speaker when there's noise in the room and I will know it's them BEFORE I can make out what song they are singing. With Lindsey, I recognize the song first and then him -- which is not to say he didn't have a beautiful voice. He did and he still does sometimes. But it is not necessarily unique.

Michele
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
2. I think Christine was more a director on The Dance tour and in past tours than she is this time. She may be exhibiting more personality in her song intro, but in the past, in between songs if there had to be comments made to the crowd or to another band member, she did that a lot more often in past tours than she does this tour.

3. I don't think it's sexism.

4. Agreed. Lindsey has never been known for having a distinctive voice, anyway. People probably don't remember what he sounded like before enough to care about what he sounds like now in contrast. Even I will listen to a song like Magnet and Steel and not notice Lindsey on that. Certainly, I hear Stevie, her background vocals make the song. But Lindsey ... You can know GYOW back and forth, but still not pick up Lindsey's voice in a crowd.

Whereas, many times I can hear Stevie or Christine's voice on a loud speaker when there's noise in the room and I will know it's them BEFORE I can make out what song they are singing. With Lindsey, I recognize the song first and then him -- which is not to say he didn't have a beautiful voice. He did and he still does sometimes. But it is not necessarily unique.

Michele
Good point about the switching of Christine's role on this tour. I imagine she's being tentative about directing anything on this first tour back with them. Or maybe it's age. Or both.

I entirely agree about Lindsey's voice.