Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone ever see High Tension?

Honorable mentions:

Halloween (original)
When a Stranger Calls (original) - When he's in the bed at the end!!
The Descent
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was reading this thread thinking - none! I hate scary movies... then I was just on my gossip website and someone posted this gif in a thread about the 20th birthday of Twin Peaks and just seeing this made me want to cry -

So I guess I can count Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, with the various Bob / Leland / etc. moments. /shudder
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Anyone ever see High Tension?
Yeah...it was...yeah, no. I'm a horror junkie, so I am used to really bad movies, but that one took the biscuit in a number of ways.

ETA: The bannister death scene was pretty squicky, though - but I tend not to count gore as a scare, even if it makes me go, "Oh man, that had to hurt."

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''

Last edited by Zombie; 03-23-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I'm not one for scary movies either......

1/ Halloween (the 1st ) and original version only....I can't watch the others cause its all blood & gore and I don't like that much....this is more supenseful...heck I even have the 'special' edition version its really interesting cause they have a documentary about it all etc. Its really great. I recall when I was just in my teens in the early 80's and this was always shown at Halloween time always....not so much now (at least not the original).....
2/The Haunting/again the original is really great...with Julie Harris (I always remember her from Knots Landing/Val's mom)....great suspense.....

So thats about it for scary movies...since I don't like to watch them much....it does stay with me for sometime.......

I do have a question thought.....I've heard about 'Silent Hill'....but don't know much about it...was the story set in some asylum?? Please explain....thanks!!

Also: I do recall watching the TV commericals in the lates 70's and there was this scary commerical for a movie...don't recall the title but I think it might have been a 'B' type scary movie....I just recall the commerical....it said something like ...." roses are red...violets are blue --theres this girl in a creepy old house by some red drapes and this head is turning as the saying is being said.....I just don't recall the rest of it....but I know it scared the crap out of me (me & my brother) cause the head finished turning around and it was a skelton head with a wig on.....anyway, sorry to get off track but it was strange.....any clues how I could find out what this was? could I put old movie trailers in at YouTube or something?? even though I'd never watch it just wondering at least what the title was.............Thanks......
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
I do have a question thought.....I've heard about 'Silent Hill'....but don't know much about it...was the story set in some asylum?? Please explain....thanks!!
"Silent Hill" is a series of video games, which they also made a movie for a few years back. They are survival horror games, and Silent Hill itself is a town where many bad things happen, haha. The plots are pretty involved, so it won't make sense for me to try to explain it (you can read here, if you want: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill), but I really love (most of) the games, because they are the perfect mix of actual story, ambience, and gameplay - I love anything with a psychological bent, and these games have that in spades.

They did start going downhill after the 3rd one, but the awesome that is Silent Hill 2 makes up for everything in my book.

The movie they made was all right - it sort of follows the plot of the first game, but they changed the main character to a girl. In the game, it was Harry Mason trying to find his daughter. In the movie, it's a mother instead. Maybe the filmmakers thought audiences wouldn't identify with a guy running around after a lost child like that? I don't know.

They also took a bunch of the monsters from Silent Hill 2 and stuck them in there. They are scary monsters and interesting, so I understand wanting to put them in the film, but they don't belong.

The monsters people see when trapped in Silent Hill are sort of like reflections of their own psychological screwiness - for example, the "sexy" nurses you see in the movie are from Silent Hill 2, where the main character, James, is searching for his dead wife. They represent his sexual frustration - there are nurses in the first Silent Hill, but they aren't well-endowed or "sexy" like they are in SH2, and the filmmakers went with the sexy ones anyway. Pyramid Head is also one of James' monsters, as is the "Lying Figure," the first monster the mom and the cop encounter after they realize they can't leave town in the movie.

I love me some Silent Hill like a fat kid love cake.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post Thanks Zombie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
"Silent Hill" is a series of video games, which they also made a movie for a few years back. They are survival horror games, and Silent Hill itself is a town where many bad things happen, haha. The plots are pretty involved, so it won't make sense for me to try to explain it (you can read here, if you want: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill), but I really love (most of) the games, because they are the perfect mix of actual story, ambience, and gameplay - I love anything with a psychological bent, and these games have that in spades.

They did start going downhill after the 3rd one, but the awesome that is Silent Hill 2 makes up for everything in my book.

The movie they made was all right - it sort of follows the plot of the first game, but they changed the main character to a girl. In the game, it was Harry Mason trying to find his daughter. In the movie, it's a mother instead. Maybe the filmmakers thought audiences wouldn't identify with a guy running around after a lost child like that? I don't know.

They also took a bunch of the monsters from Silent Hill 2 and stuck them in there. They are scary monsters and interesting, so I understand wanting to put them in the film, but they don't belong.

The monsters people see when trapped in Silent Hill are sort of like reflections of their own psychological screwiness - for example, the "sexy" nurses you see in the movie are from Silent Hill 2, where the main character, James, is searching for his dead wife. They represent his sexual frustration - there are nurses in the first Silent Hill, but they aren't well-endowed or "sexy" like they are in SH2, and the filmmakers went with the sexy ones anyway. Pyramid Head is also one of James' monsters, as is the "Lying Figure," the first monster the mom and the cop encounter after they realize they can't leave town in the movie.

I love me some Silent Hill like a fat kid love cake.
Thanks for all the info Zombie.....cause I've heard it referenced on a web site a couple of times & well I don't really play video games (nor would I play scary video games either).....I guessed it had to do with some asylum or hospital but not so much?? That was alot of info to type so I do appreciate your time in explaining it all to me. Very interesting read I will say....thanks again....don't know if I'd want to watch it though.....
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I saw a movie called Quarantine. It was made in 2008 I think. The storyline is a television reporter and her cameraman are trapped inside a building quarantined by the CDC after the outbreak of a mysterious virus which turns humans into bloodthirsty killers.

It totally freaked me out. You should check it out. It is kind of filmed in the same manner as Blair Witch Project (kinda shakey) but well worth it.
Yeah, that was creepy.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Thanks for all the info Zombie.....cause I've heard it referenced on a web site a couple of times & well I don't really play video games (nor would I play scary video games either).....I guessed it had to do with some asylum or hospital but not so much?? That was alot of info to type so I do appreciate your time in explaining it all to me. Very interesting read I will say....thanks again....don't know if I'd want to watch it though.....
No problem, I like to ramble about crap I like. SH is definitely not for everyone - I mentioned earlier that I am a horror junkie, and even the first run-through of SH2 gave ME the heebie-jeebies. It also has a tendency to get really...graphic.

There are hospitals & mentions of asylums, though, so you're not off - many parts of the various games take place in a hospital, and a lot of the monsters are kinda hospital-staff-based or mental hospital-y. In SH: Origins, the main char's mom was in an institution, and Alex, the main char in Homecoming, was also in one, if I remember rightly.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Can i just mention Salems Lot, It really frightened me as a child, And i reread the book about a year ago and then had a nightmare!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I forgot to mention - I know it's not a movie, but the TV show "In Search Of..." used to scare me as much as anything I ever saw in theaters. Probably had more nightmares from that show than from any of the films that I listed.

- Jake
Old 03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
The Descent
Very scary.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love scary films, seen a ton of them...and now I'm completely desensitized.

I prefer something with creepy atmosphere, like "Let The Right One In", "Session 9" or "Dead Birds".
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I love scary films, seen a ton of them...and now I'm completely desensitized.

I prefer something with creepy atmosphere, like "Let The Right One In", "Session 9" or "Dead Birds".
great flick~
Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
great flick~
You have wonderful taste. My favorite film from 2008.
I've watched it several times on blu-ray with friends and even though it is not in your face gory, it's just über creepy and gave me and my friends the willies....we sit there and hang onto each other or a pillow...or my dog. hehehe.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Exorocist. Scares the HELL out of me.

The Ring. That part when Samara comes out of the tv...oh my god.