Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:08 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Christine and Steve Winwood

I tend to be a "voyeur" on the ledge. I love to read the posts but don't often have much to add. But, I wanted to check out this rumour.

A week or so ago, my husband and I were at a Steve Winwood concert (it was great!), and my husband who is a huge music fan, said that supposedly years ago Steve Winwood and Christine McVie had a fling. He said that "Back in the Highlife" was written about her.

Has anyone heard that story? Could you imagine the two of them on the piano together! I told him that I would check out his story with my buddies at the ledge.

Thanks so much. And thanks for all the entertainment and news over the years. Hopefully I'll have more to add.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have never heard that Chris & Steve Winwood had ever had a fling. But they are friends. They first met back in the mid 1960's when I believe Steve was still a teenager. Chris knew Spencer Davis at that time. I believe this was around the time that Steve joined the Spencer Davis Group, although I'm not completely sure. Steve did contribute to Christine's 1984 solo album. They co-wrote 1 song, "Ask Anybody", and also did a duet, "One In A Million", on that album. Steve also played some keyboards on 4 tracks of that album. Christine at the time described Steve as being an idol of hers.

I like Steve Winwood too, although I haven't gotten around to getting his new album yet, but I will. I love his voice.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wasn't there something in Mick's book (that beacon of truth) about Christine having a crush on Steve Winwood when he was in the Spencer Davis group?
On a side note, when the filmed the Skies The Limit video at RR they were playing music over the pa and they were playing Steve Winwood. Stevie was at her mic singing Higher Love right along with the pa, although she changed the words to "Make me a higher light" or life, something like that.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 10-25-2003 at 02:22 PM..
Old 10-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember a couple Winwood mentions in Mick's book. One about him carrying Chris's books for her or something.
I saw him in concert in '88. He was okay, not a huge stage presence or anything. I mainly remember in rained hard, and it was at the Mann in Philly.
BTW, Warren Zevon did a pretty mellow cover of Back in the High life on one of his last albums.

- Jake
Old 10-26-2003, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine & Spencer Davis had a "thing" back before she met John...but, I've read or heard nothing about Steve Winwood & her being anything more than really good friends...nothing "romantic", anyway.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think Christine and Steve Winwood together would be totally wishful thinking in my book. He's one of my absolute favorite musicians after her of course. If only he weren't married. Hehehe. Maybe he'll show up on her solo stuff though. That would be awesome.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Steve over the 7/4 weekend this year - I was very surprised by his solid performance.

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 10-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Where did you see him Stephanie? What did he play?
Old 10-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Ledgie

I used to think his song was called "Bring Me an Iron Lung".
Old 10-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

I saw Steve this past August at Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA. It was an AMAZING show. Especially if you like his old stuff. There was a lot of Traffic songs with some Blind Faith and Spencer Davis thrown in for good measure. A few new songs and only one 80's song ("Back In The High Life Again" - but he rocked the mandolin on that one).
Old 10-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Below is a 1988 quote from Steve about Back in the High Life. Sorry no Christine influence....

'Back in the High Life' was not written to predict what I would be doing but because of what I actually was doing," he says. "You know, I was living in New York. I was going out. I was playing with people onstage. I'd go down to people's sessions. I knew that Back in the High Life was going to be my last album on my contract, and I had thought for a long time about going into production and stuff. I finally decided 'No, I might as well pursue my career as a solo artist and put everything into it.' I guess I probably had never put everything into it, because I'd always felt that I was above being an entertainer."

This was 1985-1986. He met his wife Genia in New York in 1986. He married the Nashville native in 1987 and they have 4 Children.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Steve Winwood so much, he has some GREAT songs...over so many decades! Blind Faiths " Cant Find My Way Home" is like my fav. song of all time. So is Valerie.

Also, Christine's Ask Anybody is my favorite song of hers of all time. I can replay that song like 50 times and not get sick of it.

Those two together, match made in heaven...they seemed to click well. Maybe HE can get her new album out by contributing.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
I love Steve Winwood so much, he has some GREAT songs...over so many decades! Blind Faiths " Cant Find My Way Home" is like my fav. song of all time. So is Valerie.
Those are my favorites too...well, those and "Gimme Some Lovin", "Roll With It" and "Back In The High Life". He played "CFMWH" at the show I went to...it was amazing.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't Chris or someone say somewhere that Stevie Winnwood carried Chris' books to school?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Ledgie

I only remember her saying that she was blown away from his soulful voice when she first saw him on stage with TSDG. He was 14 at that time.