Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac setlists back in the dizzay

ChiliD seems to be the resident Mac completest around here, and still knows little about the Welch period of the band.

The topic of their old setlists was brought up, and I was curious myself as to what the setlists were, especially when they had Dave Walker in the band. What the hell would he do?

But it would be interesting to see what they played right around the time of Kiln House and Future Games, and up to the tour for Heroes (was there one?) just to see what songs remained through the years as the highlights of their sets.

Anybody know?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is really from memory (and going by the Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up 2-LP bootleg, which was from the rehearsals for this tour), I used to have this written down, but I lost the notebook of concert sets I went to see, that I used to keep.

At the Long Beach Arena, December 1974 (the second time I ever saw them...the first was a few months earlier at a taping of the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show), they played:

Get Like You Used To Be
Station Man
Dissatisfied
Green Manalishi
Angel
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Sentimental Lady/Future Games
Why
Bermuda Triangle
Believe Me
Jewel-Eyed Judy
Night Watch
(with Mick's African Talking Drum solo, like he did later on "World Turning")
Black Magic Woman/Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake

(encores)
Homeward Bound
Hypnotized

NOTE: songs listed such as Black Magic Woman/Oh Well were direct segues...going from one song into the other with no pause.

Last edited by chiliD; 08-26-2003 at 12:43 PM..
Old 08-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

I found this at Bob Weston's Q & A in regards to Walker era setlists:

"Setlist: we would do a warm-up consisting of Pete Green's FM music, such as "Oh Well", "Rattlesnake Shake", "Jumping At Shadows", "Shake Your Moneymaker", that sort of very bluesy guitar thing. And then change gear into a more melodic blues-influenced sound, as represented by most of the songs from the "Mystery to Me" album. Some evenings Christine would perform an early Chicken Shack hit of hers, "I'd Rather Go Blind" (originally an Etta James song), just to give the evening a change of pace.

Dave would sing the heavier songs like "Going Down", "Roadrunner" in which he would feature his harmonica playing - which was rather clever as the song was in two keys. Probably a couple more standard blues, but the titles evade me."

As for FG/BT era, there was a ledgie here called fmfanatic who had a couple of shows from that lineup but I noticed it says she's not trading anymore when you go to her trading site via her profile link here.

Maybe you could e mail her and just ask her to dig out the tape and list the titles for you in an e mail. You may not have the tapes of the shows but at least you'll know what they played during that time (which is most elusive info indeed!). Hope that's of some help. I just thought I'd chuck it in.

John
Old 08-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

According to Bob Welch's recent Q & A, unless I read it wrong, he said that Christine did "Jumping At Shadows". I would LOVE to hear that, and "I'd Rather Go Blind". I'd LOVE to hear anything live from 1970-1974. I think ChiliD should have brought along a tape recorder to that show he saw in 1974. That's a fantastic setlist.

I got 2 rehearsal type Heroes bootlegs from Fmfanatic about a year and a half ago. She did have more from this period, but she stopped before I had a chance to get them. She had just gotten a new job and simply didn't have the time anymore.

After reading Bob Welch's Q & A, I'm not really confident that anything rare will ever be released from this time period.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
After reading Bob Welch's Q & A, I'm not really confident that anything rare will ever be released from this time period.
You probably are right on this but as Welch said that he "has zero control over" it, I'm hoping the Rhino guys are more open to the idea. I think Welch is just sour grapes because he wishes he had control over it but doesn't.

I mean, look at Rhino's Chicago reissues, they haven't just released their big albums, they've reissued ALL of the Columbia ones and some of the later CBS ones, particularly 13 & 14 were NOT popular at ALL yet they still reissued them (I think with a couple bonus tracks too) so here's hoping they release the Mac ones in this same frame of mind.

When I talked to McLees he did say they "would all come out eventually but they're starting with the BN era ones first". I did specifically ask him after he said that "So all of FM's WB/Reprise albums will be reissed by Rhino with bonus stuff if available? From "Then play on" up to and through the Buckingham Nicks era (though starting with the BN era ones first naturally as he said)?" and he said "yes" so though I'm probably grasping at straws, it is at least a flicker of a flame.

John
Old 08-27-2003, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
According to Bob Welch's recent Q & A, unless I read it wrong, he said that Christine did "Jumping At Shadows". I would LOVE to hear that, and "I'd Rather Go Blind". I'd LOVE to hear anything live from 1970-1974. I think ChiliD should have brought along a tape recorder to that show he saw in 1974. That's a fantastic setlist.
Ya know, now that it has been mentioned, I VAGUELY (emphasis on the VAGUE!) recall hearing both "Jumping At Shadows" & "I'd Rather Go Blind", but I've heard so many bootlegs that maybe I'm recalling those rather than the show I attended. There are a couple of live versions of Christine singing "Jumping At Shadows" from 1975 (after Lindsey & Stevie joined) floating around the file sharing sites.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Ya know, now that it has been mentioned, I VAGUELY (emphasis on the VAGUE!) recall hearing both "Jumping At Shadows" & "I'd Rather Go Blind", but I've heard so many bootlegs that maybe I'm recalling those rather than the show I attended. There are a couple of live versions of Christine singing "Jumping At Shadows" from 1975 (after Lindsey & Stevie joined) floating around the file sharing sites.
I'm going to check this out. I have bootlegs of Christine doing "Get Like You Use To Be", but that's it. I've never heard "Jumping At Shadows". That would be something, hearing Christine doing Peter Green's vocals.

By the way, ChiliD, when you saw them in late 1974, was there an additional keyboard player on stage? There is an extra keyboard player on the 2 Heroes bootlegs that I have, although they are 2 different guys-Doug Graves & another guy, I think his first name was Bobby-don't remember his last name.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, Doug Graves (RIP) did the Kirshner show with them...by the time they came back around later in December, Bobby Hunt (Bob Welch's old "Seven Souls" or "Head West" bandmate) was playing with them. I don't know why Hunt played on the Record Plant rehearsals, then Graves during the Kirshner show shoot and the first part of the tour, then Hunt again at the end. Welch kind of disputed my recollection during his first Q&A, but that's what happened...I saw who I saw on stage. (Welch said there that Hunt started out and they got Graves later; but I saw either the last or second to last show of the tour and Hunt was on keyboards; it was mid-December...Welch left around Christmas...since Lindsey & Stevie joined New Years Eve). Graves & Hunt played organ & synths, while Christine stayed mainly on acoustic or electric piano. I don't think Christine played B-3 on that tour at all.

The night before I saw them, they'd played at the Shrine Auditorium next to the USC campus and was the opening act for the then newly named Jefferson Starship who'd just released their first album under that name (anyone remember the tune "Ride The Tiger"?).

At my show, Fleetwood Mac was the headliner and the Climax Blues Band was the opening act...they were good. Their lead guitarist, Pete Haycock, would MANY years later take Jeff Lynne's place in ELO when they became "ELO II". Climax Blues Band had a big disco hit with "Couldn't Get It Right" in around 1976 or 77...another blues band goes disco! YIKES!! They were a better blues band than disco band!! But maybe I'm biased!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
The night before I saw them, they'd played at the Shrine Auditorium next to the USC campus and was the opening act for the then newly named Jefferson Starship who'd just released their first album under that name (anyone remember the tune "Ride The Tiger"?).
Ah yes, from the "Dragonfly" album. Kinda dated now with it's references to "look to the Summer '75" (or SOMETHING like that, I'm not a lyric guy) but I guess it'll be good to hear again come 2074 or so. Nah just kiddin' I like that one.

John
Old 08-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, Doug Graves (RIP) did the Kirshner show with them...by the time they came back around later in December, Bobby Hunt (Bob Welch's old "Seven Souls" or "Head West" bandmate) was playing with them. I don't know why Hunt played on the Record Plant rehearsals, then Graves during the Kirshner show shoot and the first part of the tour, then Hunt again at the end. Welch kind of disputed my recollection during his first Q&A, but that's what happened...I saw who I saw on stage. (Welch said there that Hunt started out and they got Graves later; but I saw either the last or second to last show of the tour and Hunt was on keyboards; it was mid-December...Welch left around Christmas...since Lindsey & Stevie joined New Years Eve). Graves & Hunt played organ & synths, while Christine stayed mainly on acoustic or electric piano. I don't think Christine played B-3 on that tour at all.

At my show, Fleetwood Mac was the headliner and the Climax Blues Band was the opening act...they were good. Their lead guitarist, Pete Haycock, would MANY years later take Jeff Lynne's place in ELO when they became "ELO II". Climax Blues Band had a big disco hit with "Couldn't Get It Right" in around 1976 or 77...another blues band goes disco! YIKES!! They were a better blues band than disco band!! But maybe I'm biased!
I wondered what was going on with the extra keyboardists. I think on the Record Plant CD, Bob introduced Mr. Hunt as an old friend. I have no idea what the dates are on my bootlegs-one being the Record Plant boot, the other is listed as Hempstead, NY. Both are terrific. I have also contacted someone about getting one of the 1975 boots with Chris doing "Jumping At Shadows". That should be great.

Thanks for all the info about the show that you saw. I LOVE hearing anything about their live shows during that time. It sounds like your memory may be better than Welch's.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Jefferson Starship who'd just released their first album under that name (anyone remember the tune "Ride The Tiger"?).
How wierd! I just listened to that yesterday morning.

A great tune it is, but I can't say I like much of the rest of the CD. Sad thing is, it's a greatest hits album.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
How wierd! I just listened to that yesterday morning.

A great tune it is, but I can't say I like much of the rest of the CD. Sad thing is, it's a greatest hits album.
Yeah, I think Dragonfly & Red Octopus are their best albums...they went seriously downhill when Mickey Thomas took Marty Balin's place.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

At the Long Beach Arena, December 1974 (the second time I ever saw them...the first was a few months earlier at a taping of the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert TV show), they played:

Get Like You Used To Be
Station Man
Dissatisfied
Green Manalishi
Angel
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Sentimental Lady/Future Games
Why
Bermuda Triangle
Believe Me
Jewel-Eyed Judy
Night Watch
(with Mick's African Talking Drum solo, like he did later on "World Turning")
Black Magic Woman/Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake

(encores)
Homeward Bound
Hypnotized

NOTE: songs listed such as Black Magic Woman/Oh Well were direct segues...going from one song into the other with no pause.
WOW! Thanks for the set list info...The big Mystery to Me has always been about what the band's shows were like during the 197-74 period. All I have from that period is the Bermuda Triangle bootleg of the LA radio show broadcast.

Why is it that more shows aren't circulating? There were five albums and five tours! I plead to the precious few fans out there who have any of those shows to share them. Please?
Old 09-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll second that. Please?

AND third it.

PRETTY please?