Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Stevie in Tom Petty Documentary

Anyone watch the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers documentary titled "Runnin' Down a Dream"? It's very well done and extremely long, but very good. Anyways point is when "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" was discussed obviously Stevie's input was required and she was interviewed. Could she me more disrespectful to Fleetwood Mac?? I realize it's par for the course with her, but still. Saying how she wanted to join the Heartbreakers and how she preferred their music. How she credits Tom with her solo career. No loyalty whatsoever. Never passes as opportunity to minimize the impact and talent of the band she's actually in. I just don't get it. Nobody else in the band ever does that.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie wanted to distance herself from Fleetwood Mac when she began her solo career. She has stated that she wanted to sound as much like a female Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as possible for her solo work It could have been worse. She could have picked Journey or Styx

Old 06-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
Anyone watch the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers documentary titled "Runnin' Down a Dream"? It's very well done and extremely long, but very good. Anyways point is when "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" was discussed obviously Stevie's input was required and she was interviewed. Could she me more disrespectful to Fleetwood Mac?? I realize it's par for the course with her, but still. Saying how she wanted to join the Heartbreakers and how she preferred their music. How she credits Tom with her solo career. No loyalty whatsoever. Never passes as opportunity to minimize the impact and talent of the band she's actually in. I just don't get it. Nobody else in the band ever does that.
Stevie loves and has (almost) always loved Fleetwood Mac. She just loves Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers more. She dug the sound of their third album, Damn the Torpedoes, and wanted that feel for Bella Donna. So Jimmy Iovine (producer of both Torpedoes and Bella Donna) and Tom Petty are, in a sense, to thank for a lot of her solo success; she needed their help on her first solo outing, putting herself out there separate for the first time from the biggest band in the world. She really worried if she could do that and not fail.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 06-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Remember the context of the documentary. Its about......Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers LOL
Of course she is going to fawn all over Tom. She is an honorary member of the Heartbreakers and has key writing relationships with members of the band.

I don't see this as any disloyalty to Fleetwood Mac. Stevie actually has been probably the most loyal to the band. She could have easily quit after Lindsey left. She could have quit when Christine left. Stevie's management wanted her to quit Fleetwood Mac in 1989 fearing a flop with the Mac and it could damage her solo career. She kept going to record with the Mac in 1990 and tour.
I don't see why she would praise or be thankful or show appreciation for Fleetwood Mac when she is being interviewed about one of her idols Tom Petty.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
She always loves whatever subject she is talking about.

If you ask her about FMac. She has always wanted to be in a band.
If you ask her about TPetty. She has always blah blah blah...
If you ask her about Lindsey She will always blah blah blah...
Old 06-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I think Stevie wanted to distance herself from Fleetwood Mac when she began her solo career. She has stated that she wanted to sound as much like a female Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers as possible for her solo work It could have been worse. She could have picked JOURNEY or Styx
Actually Journey would have been interesting given their FM connection...Journey's Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie were both in Santana...Santana had a big hit with a song they covered by a blues band called "Black Magic Woman" with Rolie handling the vocal and keyboards...Journey also had a drummer named Ansley Dunbar that left the band in 1978ish...Ansley was also the drummer for John Mayall's Blues Breakers in the 1960's so he most likely played with John McVie...Now guess who Ansley's replacement was when he left the Bluesbreakers? That's right Mick Fleetwood...
Old 06-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Anyone watch the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers documentary titled "Runnin' Down a Dream"? It's very well done and extremely long, but very good. Anyways point is when "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" was discussed obviously Stevie's input was required and she was interviewed. Could she me more disrespectful to Fleetwood Mac?? I realize it's par for the course with her, but still. Saying how she wanted to join the Heartbreakers and how she preferred their music. How she credits Tom with her solo career. No loyalty whatsoever. Never passes as opportunity to minimize the impact and talent of the band she's actually in. I just don't get it. NOBODY ELSE IN THE BAND EVER DOES THAT..
So what do you call Mick Christine and John turning their backs on the Fleetwood Mac that gave them all a job...Where's their loyalty to that era of the band?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
So what do you call Mick Christine and John turning their backs on the Fleetwood Mac that gave them all a job...Where's their loyalty to that era of the band?
John never left.

Lindsey, Stevie, Christine have left.

I do think Stevie has been loyal. She could have jumped ship sooner.

She almost always loves whatever subject is in front of her.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Actually Journey would have been interesting given their FM connection...Journey's Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie were both in Santana...Santana had a big hit with a song they covered by a blues band called "Black Magic Woman" with Rolie handling the vocal and keyboards...Journey also had a drummer named Ansley Dunbar that left the band in 1978ish...Ansley was also the drummer for John Mayall's Blues Breakers in the 1960's so he most likely played with John McVie...Now guess who Ansley's replacement was when he left the Bluesbreakers? That's right Mick Fleetwood...
Good to know ..I was thinking more of the sometimes cheesy Steve Perry "Any Way You Want It" incarnation of the band.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw this recently and her comments made me want to puke. I'm not that big of a fan of hers anymore because of comments like that.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I saw this recently and her comments made me want to puke. I'm not that big of a fan of hers anymore because of comments like that.
Oh my goodness after all that she has said and done over the years it took that Didn't she also say at one point that she would have left Fleetwood Mac and joined the Heartbreakers if she had been asked?

Old 06-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Before I saw the whole thread title, I was reading "Stevie in Tom Petty" and I was, like, "what the?......."
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is a compromise for a number of its band members, I think. Stevie wanted to be the female Tom Petty. Lindsey wanted to be a punk chipmunk. I wouldn't be surprised if John missed the way things sounded when Peter Green was around.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is just a fan girl. There's no malicious intent in her words. Just a few years ago she said if she could be in any band it would be Coldplay. Girl just loves music, and guys, and guys who make music.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Stevie is just a fan girl. There's no malicious intent in her words. Just a few years ago she said if she could be in any band it would be Coldplay. Girl just loves music, and guys, and guys who make music.
You could pretty much ship her with anyone. lol