Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default you told me to...future games

when i joined this board,my first posting was on favorite pre -75 album.
all i really wanted was for you to confirm my thought that i should buy kiln house,but no,you thought it´d be better to get future games.
now i have and here´s my opinion on it:
color of the sleeve is light green although i thought it should´ve been yellow.
maybe it´s been released on several colors.
back cover has got pictures of all members except john mcvie which is replaced by a picture of penguin,the first time?
it doesn´t include any writing credits,which is very annoying,
sleevenotes mention lay it all down as bob welch song,show me a smile christine song and including three danny songs woman of 1000 years,sometimes,sands of time. my guess is all songs are single credits,
at least danny always wrote alone and christine often.
the songs:
woman of 1000 years
lenght 5.28 not 8.20 like the sleeve says,lenghts are almost every time wrong.
opens with acoustic intro,song is build upon acoustic guitars,electric giving color,song has a spacey feeling. there´s no drums and only little percussion.
danny´s voice is either doubletracked or or with himself on backing vocals all the time.
morning rain
opens with piano,lenghty intro before christine´s voice comes on.
after about 1 minute tempo picks up and bob welch´s guitar becomes more prominent,christine plays excellent boogie piano,but it´s low in the mix.
mick´s drums are almost inaudible in the mix,you can hear cymbals and hi-hat.
what a shame
john perfect (is it chris´relative?)on sax which is the lead instrument on this instrumental. to me this sounds as if it is just a piece of jam,cut to make it as a song. muddy mix.
future games
electric guitar intro,half whispered vocals,on chorus vocals are semi falsetto and layered so that i can´t hear the words.
guitar paints wonderful atmosphere like on woman of 1000 years only this time with electric guitars.bob welch on vocals
sands of time
intro fades in,thudding rhythm,not really moving until 2 min. into the song when mick changes rhythm.
danny´s vocals seem bit uninspired,guitar work is very good throughout the song.
sometimes
country tinged intro,christine´s piano most upfront so far.
danny uses bit more power on vocals than on others.
piano and slide guitar keep country flavors on top though rhythmically it´s not a country song.
best song on the album!
lay it all down
guitar or distoted bass intro,john bass is buried under rhythm guitar.
most rocking song on the album,this is the strenght of album,when other songs stand by lesser songs,it gives them legitimacy,on singles these kinda songs would be a throwaways.
it´s good to have a faster song on the album to liven it up a bit,but otherwise not very good song.
show me a smile
christine´s electric piano is barely noticable,but i love those little bits you can hear here and there.
lyrically it´s written to a baby boy,very touching.i wonder does she have a sister who would´ve had a baby about that time?
christine´s melodic sense is already in place,but her songs are similar to danny´s.
on bare trees her own style is more developed as are her vocals.
in my opinion her vocals and songwriting and looks became evermore better as the years progressed.

so there you go,NOW then,do you think i should get mystery to me or kiln house?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's an interesting review. In answer to a few of your questions, John Perfect is Christine's older brother and I believe Chris wrote "Show Me A Smile" for her nephew, possibly even Dan Perfect(from In The Meantime) since he was about 4 or 5 years old at that time. Also, Future Games was released with a blue/green cover & a yellow cover. I have both releases on vinyl.

By all means, get Mystery To Me. I think Kiln House is a nice, fun, little album. But, Mystery To Me is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album. Bob & Chris combined superbly on this record. I think it's the best thing Fleetwood Mac ever did.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
That's an interesting review. In answer to a few of your questions, John Perfect is Christine's older brother and I believe Chris wrote "Show Me A Smile" for her nephew, possibly even Dan Perfect(from In The Meantime) since he was about 4 or 5 years old at that time. Also, Future Games was released with a blue/green cover & a yellow cover. I have both releases on vinyl.

By all means, get Mystery To Me. I think Kiln House is a nice, fun, little album. But, Mystery To Me is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album. Bob & Chris combined superbly on this record. I think it's the best thing Fleetwood Mac ever did.
I always wondered if Show me a Smile was written for Chris' half brother Cyrill? he may have been born around that time.

Gail
Old 07-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

Future Games, more than Kiln House showed me the band can carry on after the loss of Peter and Jeremy and still come up with the goods.

Danny Kirwan shined the most on Future games. Bob Welch said Woman of a Thousand Years was Danny at his best.

The highlight of the album for me is Danny's moving Sands of Time. The lyrics to this track are so evocative and filled with imagery and the music goes through several tempo changes. My fav part of the track is around the 5.20 mark after Danny sings "we will go right down to the sea" and the opening riff returns. Brilliance!

While Bob and christine more than held there own on Future Games, it is Danny who makes this album!!

Last edited by fanmael; 07-04-2006 at 08:56 AM..
Old 07-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with fanmael that Danny's songs make this album - arguably his three best post-Green songs (hard to compare his songs from the two periods, they're so different). And I also love that passage in "Sands Of Time" - Danny's guitar work between about 5.20 to 6.00 into the song is really beautiful.

Now when are we ever going to see a remastered CD?? The muddy mix on this album has always annoyed me - it could be so much better with cleaner sound!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
I always wondered if Show me a Smile was written for Chris' half brother Cyrill? he may have been born around that time.

Gail

I think he was born in 1973. (In a 1987 interview, Chris said he was 14 and an aspiring composer. )

-Lis
Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I think he was born in 1973. (In a 1987 interview, Chris said he was 14 and an aspiring composer. )

-Lis
Oh maybe not Cyrill then! He wouldn't even have been a twinkle in his dad's eye!

Gail
Old 07-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanmael
Bob Welch said Woman of a Thousand Years was Danny at his best.
I agree. Woman of a Thousand Years is my favorite song on the album.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My Future Games sounds great to me... it seems to be the regular U.S. copy too. The vocals are all clear but I can see how this could easily come out muddy. The times listed all seem correct within a couple of seconds too. Strange...

I like Sands Of Time best myself with Future Games not far behind. Basically this would be a good pre 1975 intro album only if you are big on Yes and King Crimson and prog rock in general. I will always think of this as their prog-rock album. Probably Mystery To Me is the best one to steer people who are big on Buckingham-Nicks to, while And Then Play On for me would be a good place for older listeners familiar with R&B to begin but who haven't been into purer blues. Heroes Are Hard To Find might well appeal greatly to say Metallica fans.

There is such a variety to the albums from 1969-1974 that there are several entry points and to pick one as a favorite is more like saying what kind of music you're into listening to at this time.

I guess the penguin in place of John's face might mean he was at the zoo a lot. That's the first penguin appearance I know of.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Future Games is definitely either a late night or early morning album for me (more often than not, the latter).

[sarcasm}And, I guess I'll agree that versions with the yellow cover & red lettering definitely sound better than copies with the green cover & yellow lettering. [/sarcasm]

I agree that "What A Shame" sounds basically like a jam edited to fill out the side of the album. Maybe the times are wrong due to the fact that "What A Shame" was included at the last minute and the other songs on that side of the album were therefore shortened, but they didn't go back & edit the new time lengths on the cover.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:04 AM
chiliD
This message has been deleted by chiliD.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

thanks for all info!!
the lenghts are wrong on the "b-side" as well,so what a shame doesn´t fully explain that.
that´s a minor thing that doesn´t bother me too much,it´s just that i often have just specific time to listen to an album before i have to do something else,so if lenghts are wrong,in this case too long,it appears i don´t have time for it,even if that one would be the one i´d like to listen at that moment.
and i think i´ll take your word for mystery to me.
i saw why on you tube which i think is from mystery and it sounded very good,i guess i´ll get it by next year
Old 07-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewolf
thanks for all info!!
the lenghts are wrong on the "b-side" as well,so what a shame doesn´t fully explain that.
that´s a minor thing that doesn´t bother me too much,it´s just that i often have just specific time to listen to an album before i have to do something else,so if lenghts are wrong,in this case too long,it appears i don´t have time for it,even if that one would be the one i´d like to listen at that moment.
and i think i´ll take your word for mystery to me.
i saw why on you tube which i think is from mystery and it sounded very good,i guess i´ll get it by next year
In case you're interested, there are 2 more live videos of songs from Mystery To Me on YouTube. They're from a 1973 performance on Midnight Special.

Here's Miles Away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUg1C...20miles%20away

Here's Believe Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyXg...20believe%20me
Old 07-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

thanks!
both were good songs.
sounded to me like they were bit stronger songs than those on future games
i´m well intriqued,will get to it
Old 08-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanmael View Post
Danny Kirwan shined the most on Future games. Bob Welch said Woman of a Thousand Years was Danny at his best.

The highlight of the album for me is Danny's moving Sands of Time. The lyrics to this track are so evocative and filled with imagery and the music goes through several tempo changes. My fav part of the track is around the 5.20 mark after Danny sings "we will go right down to the sea" and the opening riff returns. Brilliance!

While Bob and christine more than held there own on Future Games, it is Danny who makes this album!!

Thats a good way to put it. Danny absolutely shined on this album. Woman of 1000 years is calm perfection and sands of time is another awesome one (i like the same part you do, the we will go.... its very catchy!)
Old 08-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I agree. Woman of a Thousand Years is my favorite song on the album.
It's my favorite Danny FM song. The vocal is so amazing and the music is very soothing. I adore it.