The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:34 PM

Default New Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list

Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time was originally published in 2003, with a slight update in 2012. Over the years, it’s been the most widely read — and argued over — feature in the history of the magazine (last year, the RS 500 got over 63 million views on the site). But no list is definitive — tastes change, new genres emerge, the history of music keeps being rewritten. So we decided to remake our greatest albums list from scratch. To do so, we received and tabulated Top 50 Albums lists from more than 300 artists, producers, critics, and music-industry figures (from radio programmers to label heads, like Atlantic Records CEO Craig Kallman). The electorate includes Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, and Billie Eilish; rising artists like H.E.R., Tierra Whack, and Lindsey Jordan of Snail Mail; as well as veteran musicians, such as Adam Clayton and the Edge of U2, Raekwon of the Wu-Tang Clan, Gene Simmons, and Stevie Nicks.

How We Made the List and Who Voted
When we first did the RS 500 in 2003, people were talking about the “death of the album.” The album —and especially the album release — is more relevant than ever. (As in 2003, we allowed votes for compilations and greatest-hits albums, mainly because a well-made compilation can be just as coherent and significant as an LP, because compilations helped shaped music history, and because many hugely important artists recorded their best work before the album had arrived as a prominent format.)

Of course, it could still be argued that embarking on a project like this is increasingly difficult in an era of streaming and fragmented taste. But that was part of what made rebooting the RS 500 fascinating and fun; 86 of the albums on the list are from this century, and 154 are new additions that weren’t on the 2003 or 2012 versions. The classics are still the classics, but the canon keeps getting bigger and better.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-time-1062063/

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 09-27-2020 at 04:49 AM..
Old 09-24-2020, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow Taylor Swift has 2 albums on the list and Tusk didn't even make the cut The 1975 "White " album was on the last one.Looks like it got bumped by Harry Style's new one this time.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Wow Taylor Swift has 2 albums on the list and Tusk didn't even make the cut The 1975 "White " album was on the last one.Looks like it got bumped by Harry Style's new one this time.
Yeah, it stinks the other two have been dropped from the list. But Rumours climbed a great deal to #7...

For once, I’d like to see THEN PLAY ON or even KILN HOUSE make this list. Two incredible records in very different ways.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Mystery to Me, Tusk, Fleetwood Mac, and Bella Donna should definitely be in the top 500
Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

For once, I’d like to see THEN PLAY ON or even KILN HOUSE make this list. Two incredible records in very different ways.

Kiln House in the RS top 500???
Hmmmm...I'd say you're reaching a bit there.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Sure it should be there ..right between Behind the Mask and Penguin.!

Old 09-25-2020, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Too 500, not 50.

But personally it’s in my top 25.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sure it should be there ..right between Behind the Mask and Penguin.!
KILN HOUSE is a one-of-a-kind record, an honest unaffected record that achieves a great deal. I am not embarrassed by my love of it; nor am I surprised many don’t understand its appeal.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
KILN HOUSE is a one-of-a-kind record, an honest unaffected record that achieves a great deal. I am not embarrassed by my love of it; nor am I surprised many don’t understand its appeal.
Just listened to it while I was cleaning . It is tied with the uneven Penguin as my least favorite of the "wilderness ' years albums .Part of the reason could be that I prefer Bob Welch over Jeremy Spencer.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just listened to it while I was cleaning . It is tied with the uneven Penguin as my least favorite of the "wilderness ' years albums .Part of the reason could be that I prefer Bob Welch over Jeremy Spencer.
Different strokes.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I don’t consider Kiln House to be a wilderness album as much as the end of the first phase. Even after Christine joined, it was still Peter Green’s band. They’d all played with him and were obviously influenced in some way by him.

It wasn’t until Bob, who never really knew Peter, joined that the band became something very different and really starting playing more as a band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-26-2020, 02:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
"Understand" ? Right, our subjective opinion of art is because of a comprehension issue.

I enjoy Kiln House also.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I've listened to it 3 times (since the box set) and I really think it's a charming album. It's hidden brilliance. And like Steve said, "It's a period "." on the Peter era. So to me it's a nice send off. And I do think it's a nice follow up to Then Play On.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
"Understand" ? Right, our subjective opinion of art is because of a comprehension issue.

I enjoy Kiln House also.
It’s called a sensibility. Understand was used in that sense. But whatever. Different Strokes.

I’m just defending my statement because a couple people weighed in and made derisive comments about my standing by KILN HOUSE. If art is subjective, they shouldn’t consider someone calling KILN HOUSE excellent an absurdity. And then grouping it with the band’s lowest points.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ItÂ’s called a sensibility. Understand was used in that sense. But whatever. Different Strokes.

IÂ’m just defending my statement because a couple people weighed in and made derisive comments about my standing by KILN HOUSE. If art is subjective, they shouldnÂ’t consider someone calling KILN HOUSE excellent an absurdity. And then grouping it with the bandÂ’s lowest points.

Hey. No offence. I personally wouldn't describe your liking of Kiln House as absurd. I can see it has a certain charm about it and it's an important record just because it exists (the band could have folded before that point and history would have turned out very differently). However, any suggestion of it making an all-time top 500 list is a bit of an absurdity really, especially if most of the band's most successful albums fail to make it. For me it's a bit far fetched to suggest music bigwigs, fellow artists, producers and music journalists would rank it above the likes of Tusk, Mirage or the White Album or even critically acclaimed albums such as Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Mystery to Me, Bare Trees or Say You Will. That's not to denigrate your tastes, I just feel it's a reach to ever consider it being close to such a list when the general consensus is it's one of Fleetwood Mac's weakest offerings. I know you're just making the point you have a soft spot for that album. I'm just objectively saying there's not much chance of it ever garnering much love from the types of people who vote for these things. Not meaning to offend.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Tags
lists, rolling stone, rumours