User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2002, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
As you can tell by other posts in this thread (and those two similarly themed ones on the Rumours board ), I'm not the only one who is irked at their publicly viewed lengthy inactivity.

We are ALL irked at their publicly viewed lengthy inactivity. We are ALL tired of waiting. We ALL wish we had had three new albums since 1997. But just because we're irked doesn't mean the band sucks. Apples and oranges . . .

So, I assume by your comment that either I not post my opinions, or, that I should "fall in line with the 'Fleetwood Mac can do no wrong' consensus"?? Neither of which I will do, by the way.
Don't assume. I specifically addressed/questioned two sentences about The Dance that I disagreed with - I also have opinions!! As far as the lack of follow-up to the Dance, just a few mitigating factors could be the loss of a band member, four new children and a contrary or tyrannical record label.

I'm not familiar with the 'Fleetwood Mac can do no wrong' consensus, but there IS a consensus that they are right at least SOME of the time.

You're perfectly free to continue to post whatever makes you feel better.

Barbara
Old 06-26-2002, 10:02 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
Knopfler & Buckingham are both great finger-picking guitarists, But I have a new favorite of the finger-picking style to add to the pot, Keith Urban. He may play country (He's more new "New-Country" than traditional...) but I saw his style from 10 feet away in the front row,(Saw him last year at the Okla. State Fair), And I was floored...

Kinda ironic when he was asked who are his guitar influences, His reply was only 2 people, "Mark Knopfler & Lindsey Buckingham"...Brian
Not SO ironic, Brian - I think this thread was a result of a post which I'd made a couple of weeks ago regarding Keith Urban. I'd recently "discovered" him, and was checking out his bio on CDNow, and to my delight found that he listed his influences as LB and MK. So, I posted that info about him here, wondering if anyone knew of him or his music.

I must admit, all I've heard of his music/guitar playing are clips from his cd at CDNow, but I thought he sounded terrific! I hope I get to catch him live on the tv sometime!

Take care,
Lori
Old 06-26-2002, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Thats cool...

Lori...If ya ever have the chance to either see him in concert you'll be in for a treat...He does a heck of a job guitar-wise in concert. I've never saw a guitarist who's solo included going into the audience and signing autographs as he played...Definately a talented musician...BTW, His album has 1 song that to me sounds very Lindsey-like guitarwise,"Out On My Own", Definately worth checking out...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Thats cool...

Quote:
Originally posted by estranged4life
Lori...If ya ever have the chance to either see him in concert you'll be in for a treat...He does a heck of a job guitar-wise in concert. I've never saw a guitarist who's solo included going into the audience and signing autographs as he played...Definately a talented musician...BTW, His album has 1 song that to me sounds very Lindsey-like guitarwise,"Out On My Own", Definately worth checking out...Brian
AWESOME, I love to hear about new artists!! I think that is so cool that he listed Mark and Lindsey as his two influences!! I do remember reading your post Lori in regards to him, but I don't think I ever went to CDNow to check him out, I need to go do that!! Thanks Brian and Lori for the heads up!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Yer welcome...

wondergirl9847...For more info goto www.keithurban.net ...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Sick of the word sellout

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
You know what I'm so sick of, people talking about how if you are successful or HUGE, you are a talentless nobody and you are a "SELL-OUT". I don't understand why Peter Green says he'll NEVER play with Fleetwood Mac again (No offense, but they aren't likely to ASK him to either) because they have "SOLD-OUT". Gimme a break.:
OK, I've sat back, well lay back, as I am under doctor's orders to stay flat out for a week! And I have watched this thread unfold.

Firstly, Peter told me personally he would not take to the stage again with Fleetwood Mac because they had become too commercial, and he said it with a look and posture of sadness.

This has nothing to do with being successful or "HUGE" it is to do with pushing a tour or album for the sake of money. This really annoys me. Many "big" successful bands are just still in it for the pleasure and put their heart into their music. Even Lindsey admitted that he got back onto the Fleetwood Mac bandwagon in order to promote himself which would ultimately help his solo work. The Dance album and tour showed me that the band are incredible musicians still, maybe, skill wise, better than ever.
If the vibe was still with the band maybe Chris would not have retired? Maybe she would of anyway, we'll never know.

Secondly, I'm sick of people using this fabulous message board to just heap praise on the band we all love and not wanting to accept differing views. This is supposed to be a "discussion" board not just about posting how much people are in love with Lindsey or about Stevie's latest hair do!! Don't get me wrong, all threads are valid and I make my choice, as you do, which threads to reply to. This thread started to get quite interesting, with many great replies and views coming in and then, as usual, cold water got poured on and it got extinguished just as it was getting hot. Same as usual!!!

Also, on the same theme, will people get off ChiliD's back for giving his opinion, as he is entitled to do. I have read through this entire thread again and also in the past I don't seem to recall him getting personal or deliberately trying to offend anyone even once. The same cannot be said for some others.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think as far as Peter was concerned, the Mac was getting too commercial when he left originally decades ago. It's a matter of one's personal comfort level to some degree.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, mfm, I appreciate the sentiment.

Hmmm...I can see on one hand where the 1970 Fleetwood Mac COULD be considered "commercial", but that seemed to be accidental..."Albatross" was a #1 hit because some TV producer who had a popular show picked up on this little obscure instrumental ditty and used it for the show's theme song. (prompting a lot of their blues-purist fans to scream "sell out!" way back then!!). "Oh Well" was a hit for some weird reason; it breaks almost every rule in the "write a hit song" handbook. Don't even get me started on "Green Manalishi"...there's really nothing remotely "hit song" about it...even for 1970's standards.

Fleetwood Mac, at the time, was heading in a direction where they would've been on par with the Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, The Who, the Allman Bros Band, etc...a band where lengthy blues/rock instrumental jams (led by perceived "Guitar Gods") ruled the day. When Peter left, they kind of lost that momentum (talk about your lack of respect for the talents of Danny Kirwan!!!)

I think Peter left mainly due to the literal description of "creative differences"...he wanted to go in one direction, the band didn't, he felt he was "carrying" the band, so, the only healthy thing was for him to leave the band. Even though the effects of his LSD trip(s?) DID kind of spur on some of his split in attitude with the rest of the band.

Any real "commercial" success for Fleetwood Mac came long after Peter left.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Any real "commercial" success for Fleetwood Mac came long after Peter left.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of "commercial." For some it's meant purely as a derisive label to imply things about the motives of others, whether true or not. I dare say that for many, the "commercial" tag is something they'd apply to any band that gains acceptance by a greater number of people than in the past - regardless of whether or not the musical direction changes. And for many, that wider acceptance of something they once considered their own semi-private discovery, is enough to turn them off to it.

Part of his wanting to give his money away was in response to his discomfort with band getting too big by his standards. In addition to the creative differences that began to appear, I do tend to think the simple fact of becoming bigger was part of what "commercial" meant to him even back in 1969. He didn't care for the pressure of it or for what he thought were the implications of it.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

True...I'll concede that point about "commerciality".

Peter never was comfortable being the main focus of the band; including all the "guitar God" praise he was getting from all angles, as well. (his big internal duel between "modesty" & "ego") He has always wanted to be "just one of the guys in the band" (hence naming what was basically HIS band "Fleetwood Mac", rather than "The Peter Green Band")...which he finally has attained to a high level with the Splinter Group...although he DOES seem to have finally gained some level of comfort having his name be "the draw" of the band, but, it's VERY obvious that within the dynamic of the band, he's "just one of the guys"...Roger Cotton, Peter Stroud & Nigel Watson are the main songwriters...with the occasional blues standard or re-working of one of Greeny's old tunes (ie, Man Of The World, Underway & Tribal Dance).