The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

what jumped on me from this interview is how much progress has been made since their heyday when they felt they had to choose between a career and having kids... doesn't seem to be nearly as big of an issue for women performers these days. although even then that must have depended a lot on what a particular woman felt like she could do, possibly upbringing, or her priorities - Pat Benetar, or Chrissie Hynde (or even Cyndi Lauper is not that much younger) are about the same age as Nicks, yet they all managed to have both.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The eye-rolling was just because it's the army -- without any gunfire or bloodshed.
Or pushups.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Or pushups.
no pushups?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
what jumped on me from this interview is how much progress has been made since their heyday when they felt they had to choose between a career and having kids... doesn't seem to be nearly as big of an issue for women performers these days. although even then that must have depended a lot on what a particular woman felt like she could do, possibly upbringing, or her priorities - Pat Benetar, or Chrissie Hynde (or even Cyndi Lauper is not that much younger) are about the same age as Nicks, yet they all managed to have both.
Yes, it depended on what you felt like you could do and how good you would have been at it. Like Lindsey always says, many men were fathers back then, but he didn't consider them good fathers and didn't think he would have been a good one himself.

With the down time this band had, Christine and Stevie could have not only had babies, but spent a couple of years at home with them, but eventually they'd have to hit the road and Stevie said she would have been devastated the first time her child ran into the nanny's arms and not hers.

Now, I know nowadays people like the Dixie Chicks will say they take the whole nursery on the road with them. They don't leave their children behind. But is that good? I guess it depends on what the road is like for your band, who you are and who the kids are.

Of course, Lindsey threw his two cents into that scenario saying that Mick would probably yank his kids out of school to go on the road with them, but he wouldn't. But in some cases, maybe it's best for the kids to be with you, than in school. Yes, it's all based on what the prospective mother (or father) thinks SHE can do.

Michele
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I did laugh at Stevie saying they had Mick's kids with them so they couldn't be too wild. They couldn't be wild on the PLANE or in the dressing room where the kids were, but they apparently did lots of drugs in the recording studio, so the kids didn't stop them there.

Plus, once they got into their own hotel rooms, I'm sure Amy and Lucy weren't keeping them in line.

But her point is taken. When they hit Seattle, it's not like Stevie and Christine could roll into the local bar and pick up men. The men could, but women couldn't. Not for prudish reasons, but for security reasons, if nothing else.

Michele
Old 12-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
no pushups?

Well played!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Terrific article. And really interesting to hear Christine sharing some of the same feelings and views Stevie has expressed over the years.

Christine... if you're listening... please come back to us. We miss you.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine discussed having her tubes tied before. That's not the first time she talked about not having children. And I don't think she agrees with Stevie that she gave up dating for her career. In fact I think it's just the opposite. She dated, but it wasn't easy to find the right person.
yes, that bit surprised me. you all talked about her saying she had her tubes tied and never regretted it. some people don't want to have children and i always assumed Christine is one of those women. from this interview seems like her main barrier was actually that although she dated and was married several times, she never really found the right man to have a family with.

so yeah she may have regrets, but doesn't everybody? and isn't it great that she can change her life again, and do what she feels would be fun, again?

i liked the part about playing arena without having a drink, and feeling great about it. so London performances must have really be the turning point for her, when she decided she wants it all back.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just glad Christine's seeing the light and is trying to make the most out of it.

I wanted to bring this up on the ledge for quite a long time (hope I won't be crucified for this), but I get this vibe from Christine that she swings both ways, if you know what I mean. Since it's just a vibe I as a queer woman have picked up on, I have no proof that she does, and part of it is probably wishful thinking on my part (except maybe inferences from comments from a People magazine article about lezzos and leather jumpsuits and stuff). Though if she and Stevie ever got it on at one point, I won't be surprised.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie

Last edited by applebucked; 12-13-2013 at 01:15 AM..
Old 12-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

so yeah she may have regrets, but doesn't everybody? and isn't it great that she can change her life again, and do what she feels would be fun, again?
Yes, it's great for me as an FM fan. I just get the feeling that it's lonely for her and I hope she can do something in the next five years to turn that around -- something aside from rejoining FM.

Michele
Old 12-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, it's great for me as an FM fan. I just get the feeling that it's lonely for her and I hope she can do something in the next five years to turn that around -- something aside from rejoining FM.

Michele
Agreed. The company of her brother and sister-in-law seems to have been the only main constant in her life since 1998. She's more outgoing post-therapy and can change that now. Spending more time in London could lead to re-igniting old friendships with musical contemporaries and to make new ones, eg Kim Wilde whom she met at the Ivor Novello awards. If she spends time in LA, too, that will allow similar. She needs to grasp the opportunity and, from my view to leave the countryside behind.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Agreed. The company of her brother and sister-in-law seems to have been the only main constant in her life since 1998. She's more outgoing post-therapy and can change that now. Spending more time in London could lead to re-igniting old friendships with musical contemporaries and to make new ones, eg Kim Wilde whom she met at the Ivor Novello awards. If she spends time in LA, too, that will allow similar. She needs to grasp the opportunity and, from my view to leave the countryside behind.
This is going to open up her world. I mean, just because she retired didn't mean she had to become a recluse, but it sounds like she did, a tiny bit, and now in just a year, we've seen that change so much. When Mick was talking about coaxing her to Hawaii and holding her hand the whole flight, if he had to, I was scared about the prospects. I didn't even believe he could do THAT, but now look what's happened!

Michele
Old 12-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Just glad Christine's seeing the light and is trying to make the most out of it.

I wanted to bring this up on the ledge for quite a long time (hope I won't be crucified for this), but I get this vibe from Christine that she swings both ways, if you know what I mean. Since it's just a vibe I as a queer woman have picked up on, I have no proof that she does, and part of it is probably wishful thinking on my part (except maybe inferences from comments from a People magazine article about lezzos and leather jumpsuits and stuff). Though if she and Stevie ever got it on at one point, I won't be surprised.
you know I love ya... and I'm gay... But, I get completely the opposite vibe. Never in my life had I thought of that.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
you know I love ya... and I'm gay... But, I get completely the opposite vibe. Never in my life had I thought of that.
Yeah. Given the heightened reality of indulgence and excess that she existed in for so much of her adult life, I wouldn't be surprised if she did some experimentation. But I don't see anything that would give off the impression she is truly bisexual.

As someone who lives in Southeast England, I have to say that her idea of "isolation" might be misleading to some fans from larger, less crowded countries. I promise, nowhere in Kent is very far from anywhere. 50% of it is basically gobbled up by Greater London at this point. It may be far from where she wants to be, but the impression given is that she's way out in the boonies, and I think that's a misrepresentation.

I really did enjoy this interview, and the corroboration between the two ladies comments. But it did make me a bit sad to read as well. I was under the impression that Christine was very happy and doing exactly what she wanted, and to hear otherwise is a real downer. I hope she rejoins the band and finds her bliss asap, anyway.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I have NEVER considered that she was anything other than straight. I HIGHLY doubt it. I mean, she's very strong, and one could really almost call her butch,, but I honestly don't see it, myself.