The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 AM
Ledgie

I'd love to hear a remastered Landslide from live. Knowing the problems Stevie was having with her voice then, it's such an heroic performance. I love the little pause at the end of the song, before the applause. You can hear the standing ovation... If that makes sense.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Ocean View Post
I'd love to hear a remastered Landslide from live. Knowing the problems Stevie was having with her voice then, it's such an heroic performance. I love the little pause at the end of the song, before the applause. You can hear the standing ovation... If that makes sense.
That version of Landslide...oh man, it gives me chills.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
That version of Landslide...oh man, it gives me chills.
I love that you guys are mentioning this version of Landslide-it's been my favorite for years. I still tell anybody that will listen that this is the version they need to hear.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It would be cool if they expanded the Live album, as FM has always been such a great live band and I've always loved this album.

That said, I would much prefer a similar box set that was released by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, The Live Anthology to be released by Fleetwood Mac.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats great news.

I love to see the Tusk doco remastered onto DVD.Thats a whole other topic in its self.

I got a couple copies of the the 8 track version of the live album somewhere here .I played the crap out of them.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I got a couple copies of the the 8 track version of the live album somewhere here .I played the crap out of them.
In 1980 by the time the live album was released I had already had and heard a million times the bootleg albums known as SIN CITY(Live in Las Vegas), ALBATROSS, BUT NOT AROUND MY NECK PLEASE and HOLLYWOOD. These 3 albums still hold up to this day. All 3 of these Rhiannon's are a million times better than the live officially released version, which IMHO is so lame. Of all the live Tusk versions that will just blow you away I totally believe Lindsey(Oh yes folks I blame him) chose THAT one as the track to define Stevie and to this day I completely skip that track. The live album does have many good selections but they completely failed with Rhiannon. I truly believe that Stevie had nothing to do with the song selections on Live because at that time she had already moved forward and had begun the production of Bella Donna.

Rant over.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa Buchanan View Post
I love that you guys are mentioning this version of Landslide-it's been my favorite for years. I still tell anybody that will listen that this is the version they need to hear.
My favorite Landslide will always be the one from the Disney Fleetwood Mac: Going Home documentary. It was just so torchy... I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I love to see the Tusk doco remastered onto DVD.Thats a whole other topic in its self.
Now this is a remaster/reissue I'd actually buy!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

They should really do what Petty did. And release a 4 or 5 disc live anthology.

There are certain Tusk songs, What Makes You Think..., Tusk, Sisters...., That's Enough... etc that each have at least one phenomenal live version out there. How they were even overlooked on the 1980 album is a mystery to me.

Plus, considering the fact that they haven't exactly played too much songs live they could probably fit one version of every song they've ever played live on the album.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
In 1980 by the time the live album was released I had already had and heard a million times the bootleg albums known as SIN CITY(Live in Las Vegas), ALBATROSS, BUT NOT AROUND MY NECK PLEASE and HOLLYWOOD. These 3 albums still hold up to this day. All 3 of these Rhiannon's are a million times better than the live officially released version, which IMHO is so lame. Of all the live Tusk versions that will just blow you away I totally believe Lindsey(Oh yes folks I blame him) chose THAT one as the track to define Stevie and to this day I completely skip that track. The live album does have many good selections but they completely failed with Rhiannon. I truly believe that Stevie had nothing to do with the song selections on Live because at that time she had already moved forward and had begun the production of Bella Donna.

Rant over.
Really? I don't mind that version of Rhiannon (although my favorite is from Providence 1977). And I think it's from the Rumours tour even though it's on the Live 1980 album. I think it was determined that some of the songs on that album actually came from tours earlier than the Tusk tour. (?)

But, does anyone else think that the version on the live disc of the Rumours boxset is the very same version as the Live 1980 version, just without the smoothing out of the rough edges of the music that the Live 1980 version has? The vocal and most of the music is just too much the same, and at that point (anything pre-The Dance Reunion Tour), the song never sounded the same twice, there was alawys something different, either the vocal, the guitar solo, the keyboard, something.

Or, if not, where is it from? From which of the three shows that the Rumours live disc pulls the songs did this Rhiannon come from? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Rant over.
Based on the boots we have (and some of them are not even that good in sound quality) few of the best versions of any of the songs wound up on the album, including GYOW. While they may not have chosen what the fans would have chosen I can't assume that anyone deliberately chose an inferior version of a song to put on there, since the bad choices were evenly distributed.

Michele
Old 11-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
Or, if not, where is it from? From which of the three shows that the Rumours live disc pulls the songs did this Rhiannon come from? Thanks.
They played 6 shows in London and the LIVE version came from one of them. Another night's version from London is so amazing that it is a shame it wasn't chosen as the definitive live version of Rhiannon.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Based on the boots we have (and some of them are not even that good in sound quality) few of the best versions of any of the songs wound up on the album, including GYOW. While they may not have chosen what the fans would have chosen I can't assume that anyone deliberately chose an inferior version of a song to put on there, since the bad choices were evenly distributed.

Michele
Yes, GYOW in particular on Live 1980 sounds completely castrated. And, to me, on that album, "Dreams" sounds musically flat (not the vocal, but the music itself, especially the keyboard).
Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Rant over.

As usual .I was late getting on the boat collecting FM /Stevie boots which I started collecting then in the early 1990's out of the Goldmine mag.
I was making good money then like most of us so I probably spend over a few grand on FM/Stevie stuff then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
My favorite Landslide will always be the one from the Disney Fleetwood Mac: Going Home documentary. It was just so torchy... I love it!

Now this is a remaster/reissue I'd actually buy!
I agree .I have that Disney docu on VHS somewhere and a digital copy from online I've downloaded from somewhere.

They could remaster the Disney docu along with the Tusk docu.

I would love to have them in my collection.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They played 6 shows in London and the LIVE version came from one of them. Another night's version from London is so amazing that it is a shame it wasn't chosen as the definitive live version of Rhiannon.
Thanks! Which night in London had the amazing version? Do you know the date? I would love to go through my old bootleg tapes and see if I have it.

OK, so the Live 1980 version came from London. I still find it quite shoking that the two versions are so close, especially the lead vocal. She even used to switch up the choruses and sing them in different orders from night to night. You never which you'd hear where... sometimes the "once in a million years" would be first, sometimes it would be "all your life, you've never seen...", (but then you didn't know if it would be "wind" or "sky"). It's odd that these two versions would have the exact same vocal, with the same "taken by the wind-- once in a million years-- taken by the sky" order. Maybe it's just my ears, but these two lead vocals sound almost exactly the same. And I can't find any other two versions that are so similar.

So where did the version on the Rumours boxset Live disc come from? Oklahoma City, Nashville, or Tulsa? Those are the three shows that they say all the songs on the Rumours disc come from.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The version from the GW Forum in August 1977 (the cassette tape of which I initiated in circulation way back when, until somebody finally put it onto CD and later in digital format) is one of the best live versions of "Rhiannon" I can recall hearing, either live or in person. (and I saw/heard them all at that LA "homestand" in '77)