Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Thanks.

Honestly, I didn't find it that catchy...do you?
No but I sent you the better Wild Heart era demo. If I wanted to be cruel I would have sent the OSOTM unreleased klonopinned Kenny G version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWlI8e8J4Y
Old 04-29-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Much the same way “Blue Letter” and “Crystal” weren’t really Lindsey Buckingham compositions.

Seems less shady than reworking an old song and not giving the original writer credit like they did on “World Turning.”

Just like Lindsey in 1975.

ETA: And, it’s not like Christine didn’t lift a little melody from George Hawkins...

https://youtu.be/ndMHOBz2uBw
You're right. I know it was Stevie that called for that beautiful keyboard solo at the end of Crystal; plus, the intense walking bass that was missing on B/N. And then she proceeded to arrange Blue Letter with that stellar guitar solo. It's as if the other 4 would NOT have any idea what to do if she wasn't there.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
No but I sent you the better Wild Heart era demo. If I wanted to be cruel I would have sent the OSOTM unreleased klonopinned Kenny G version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWlI8e8J4Y
I think I like this one better! Seriously.

Wonder what Lindsey could have done with it?
Old 04-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have a hard time picturing her successfully dialing a phone number.
'What's that, E major, B major? Always write songs in F Chris, you know this. Anyway step aside, I'm here to play my synth part on your song. Mick, count me in.'

Is how I imagine the conversation to have been.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
'What's that, E major, B major? Always write songs in F Chris, you know this. Anyway step aside, I'm here to play my synth part on your song. Mick, count me in.'

Is how I imagine the conversation to have been.
My favorite part of the Tusk doc outtakes is watching the eye rolls they give her, when they're standing behind her.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My favorite part of the Tusk doc outtakes is watching the eye rolls they give her, when they're standing behind her.
She pulled in the crowds and shoppers and made the other band members into millionaires. Ingrates.

Last edited by mitzo; 04-29-2020 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-29-2020, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You're right. I know it was Stevie that called for that beautiful keyboard solo at the end of Crystal; plus, the intense walking bass that was missing on B/N. And then she proceeded to arrange Blue Letter with that stellar guitar solo. It's as if the other 4 would NOT have any idea what to do if she wasn't there.
And she also invented Covid-19! Didn't you know that? How could YOU not know that?

Where would all of us (especially that bastard Lindsey) be without her?
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
She pulled in the crowds and shoppers and made them millionaires. Ingrates.
There's always been this tension among them. Nicks wasn't the musician the rest were, so they would dismiss her; yet she was also very clearly the star, and I think that probably grated on them (particularly Buckingham).

But they've all said unkind things about each other. I read an interview once where Buckingham referred to Nicks AND McVie as "lounge acts" in their solo careers and saying he found it "sad". McVie said of Nicks's songs that "most of them are rubbish". It doesn't surprise me that the director of the "Hold Me" video said no one in the band was talking to anyone else - the fights seemed to fly in every direction.

They all have healthy egos. Buckingham knows he works studio magic, McVie is likely confident she writes the best songs, and Nicks knows her charisma makes her the star and brings in the crowds. Each of them has an understandable reason for thinking they're the key to Mac's success. It's not surprising they chafe at each other.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
She pulled in the crowds and shoppers and made the other band members into millionaires. Ingrates.
I will give her that. I will.

There's also no accounting for taste.

But she has the "IT" factor. Few people actually have that "it" that makes them a star. She does.

There are tons of fantastic singers(far better than Stevie), that just don't have the star factor. Other than her "spinning witch" persona, I really don't get why she's the star she is.

I will say that I loved her during Bella Donna and The Wild Heart. BECAUSE I thought those were great albums with great songs.

When her music went south, so did I. I was a FM fan first and foremost, and I always will be. But when she began putting out crap product, I'd had enough.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
Alternate Versions:
1. Family Man: Much more prominent, see above. She also squeals a lot and talks about "mother father, sister," "I can't let go" on the Extended guitar mix around the 5:30 mix. Very RAL, i.e. erratic and drunk sounding. She is present on the chorus of this version as well.
2. Big Love: She is yelling "house up on the hill!" in the extended version, around 4:10. In the "House on the Hill Dub" mix, she is also yelling... something, "pretty girl" maybe? This starts around 1:10, and then concludes with "looking out for love" just afterwards. Somewhere in these tracks is also a vocal sample that has her yelling "Well it's a big, big love" These are likely the backing vocals she recorded for the album track that Lindsey stripped out before release. Understandable as they don't flow with the slick nature of the song.
3. Little Lies: She's more prominent. At the end she sings "Tell me lies, OH, sweet little lies, no no you can't disguise", "oohs" and repeats "sweet lies, little lies", also likely leftover vocals from her sessions that Lindsey chose not to use in the final.

So we at least have some evidence of her vocal sessions on other songs, they were used in the extended cuts instead. A user on this board (FannyMac) claims to have interned with Modern Records, Stevie's solo label, and heard an early cut of the album where her vocals were "All over it" before it was stripped to "just two songs", and then her third song was added back and her Little Lies backing vocal was reinserted.
What I find interesting is

a) why would Lindsey allow Stevie on his tracks on two songs on Tango, something he hadn't done since Rumours?

b) why were these vocals then taken off, what was the decision making process behind that?