Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Danny and Grateful Dead -Fillmore 1970

I'm sure there's a thread like this on this board, but I was reading the posts on one archived bulletin board and it was like unraveling a mystery as people put together different clues to establish that Danny was playing with The Grateful Dead live at Fillmore east February 11, 1970. They are pointing out Fleetwood Mac membrs and debating whether Danny joined in or not. The posts go back several years, but the most recent is from last month.

Here's a smattering from the ongoing discussion.

Arthur Lee of Love adds percussion to the Dark Star. The third guitarist audible starting about 2:30 into Dark Star and for several minutes thereafter is Peter Green. Duane Allman on slide guitar enters around the middle of Dark Star. Gregg Allman adds organ & vocals during Lovelight, and Barry Oakley plays a second bass on Lovelight. Richard Pipes believes Fleetwood Mac-member Danny Kirwan's guitar is also to be discerned in the background. The encore is acoustic Dead, with only one acoustic guitar. The timings are from the AUD supplemented by the SBD. The Allman Bros and Love were also on the bill.
--------------------------
That is Danny on stage. He even plays a few power chords somewhere in Lovelight. It's definitely to blonde to be Phil and you can see Berry Oakley on stage too which means Phil is sitting it out. I haven't listened to the entire show yet so I'm not sure what rating I should give it but with the all star lineup I'll give it a five star rating.

[Notes from Searching for the Sound] Mick Fleetwood and Danny Kirwan “find room to join the festivities”

Based on a picture in the "The Deadhead's Tape Compendium Volume 1," the following people were on stage: Mick Fleetwood-dancing, Peter Green-guitar, Pigpen-vocals, Bob Weir-guitar/vocals, Danny Kirwin-guitar, Gregg Allman-organ/vocals, Jerry Garcia-guitar, Bill Kreutzmann-drum kit, Berry Oakley-bass, Butch Trucks-drum kit, Duane Allman-guitar, Mickey Hart-percussion. Phil Lesh is not pictured. The photo is likely of "Lovelight." I just found a link to the CD cover with the photo: http://www.geocities.com/deadpieshop...00211_back.jpg

as with all live tapes one can wish for completeness. what was there of dark star was great. lovelight was sublime. peter green, duane allman, danny, dickey and bob being sheparded by jerry into musical bliss. Don't you wish you could go back in time. great Me and my uncle
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is a similar discussion on this board: http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...=fillmore+1970
Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, 5+ years down the road and another "fine toothed comb" perusal of this photo from back on that other thread, I had mistakenly identified the blonde guitarist in front of Gregg Allman's organ as Duane, but THAT is actually Danny Kirwan. And, I'd identified the person behind drummer Bill Kreutzman as Allman Bros bassist Berry Oakley...that actually is Duane Allman.

So again, from left to right along front of stage:

Mick Fleetwood (arms raised), Peter Green, Ron "Pig-Pen" McKernan, Bob Weir, Danny Kirwan, Gregg Allman.

Left to right rear of stage:

Jerry Garcia, Bill Kreutzman (drums), Duane Allman, "unknown tambourine player", Butch Trucks (drummer with hat), Phil Lesh....and probably Mickey Hart with back to camera (waving drumstick) to the right of Gregg Allman
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So it's settled. This has been like dissecting frames 313-315 of the Zapruder film.

The reason many have doubted that Danny was onstage that night was that you could barely hear him on the non-official boot. Owsley Stanley gave Peter some time during "Dark Star", then the focus shifted to Jerry Garcia, and later Duane Allman. During the "Spanish Jam", the bass is definitely Phil (nobody else plays like that), so the picture is somewhere in the half hour span of the "Lovelight" jam. In Lovelight, Peter gets his guitar mixed back into the song somewhere during the middle of the song, in fact I think he sings Pigpen's rap. At least I think that's Green's voice.

It's ashame this was never a Dick's Picks selection. It would've solved the mystery of the missing gap in "Dark Star", if the archives had it intact. As for historical importance, only Peter Green FM fans would care. There were plenty of other Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead encounters. The best was probably 6/73 at RFK in Washington D.C.. Without set breaks, that concert clocks in at around four hours. So to be there, it was at least a six hour concert experience. That's called getting your money's worth.

Since we are on the subject of "jams", has anyone heard the Clapton/Green jam from the Boston Tea Party 1970 at sugarmegs.org? Thoughts?

Last edited by slipkid; 11-11-2009 at 12:04 AM..
Old 02-11-2018, 09:16 AM

The Grateful Dead Jams With Duane And Gregg Allman & Fleetwood Mac’s Peter Green, On This Day In 1970

Opening as the counterpart to San Francisco’s Fillmore Auditorium in March of 1968, legendary concert promoter Bill Graham’s New York City venue, The Fillmore East, served as one of the cogs of live music in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Dubbed the “Church of Rock and Roll” for good reason, Graham had a knack of uniting some of the most unique and explosive artists of the generation under the same roof, including John Lennon, Frank Zappa, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin, and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. On February 11th, 1970, Graham booked a now-legendary triple-billing of San Francisco fixtures: the Grateful Dead, Los Angeles psych-rockers Love, and a relatively unknown group from the Atlanta area, the Allman Brothers Band.

Though the Allmans and Dead had met some months prior at the first Atlanta Pop Festival, it wouldn’t be until the bands’ 1970 Fillmore East show that the two iconic jam bands collaborated on stage. The Allman Brothers’ set that night included classic tunes like “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed”, “Trouble No More”, Blind Willie McTell’s “Statesboro Blues”, Willie Dixon’s “Hoochie Coochie Man”, and the always gargantuan instrumental that is “Mountain Jam.”

Playing both an early and late show, as was customary at the Fillmore East, the Grateful Dead began their set with an intense “The Other One” segued into “Cryptical Envelopment” before finishing up with “Dire Wolf” and “Casey Jones”—two tracks that would appear on the release of the Dead’s country music inspired album, Workingman’s Dead, later that year. “Not Fade Away” was used as a launch pad for the rest of the smoking set, which also included another pair of Workingman’s cuts, “Cumberland Blues” and “High Times”.

Beginning with the cornerstone jam in any Dead’s vocabulary, “Dark Star”, the band settled into the true meat of the show. For this rendition, the band featured the mesmerizing slide guitar from Duane Allman, which was later augmented further when Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac (who was not on the bill that night, but had been a fan of the Dead’s since playing with them in San Francisco in June 1968) and Love’s Arthur Lee (percussion) were added into the mix.

As the “Dark Star” jam built and boiled with the three guitar players on stage, the song gave way to a rare Miles Davis-inspired “Spanish Jam” with the ABB’s Gregg Allman sliding in onto the organ bench. Finally, as Pigpen busts into a raging “Turn On Your Lovelight,” Gregg gets in on the party to trade vocals with Pigpen on this show-stopper. You can listen to this unreal collaborative performance from February 11, 1970, below.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/feature...s-peter-green/

Setlist: Grateful Dead | The Fillmore East | New York, NY | 2/11/1970

Early Show: The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment, Dire Wolf, Casey Jones

Late Show: Not Fade Away, Cumberland Blues, Cold Rain And Snow, High Time, Me And My Uncle, Dark Star*! > Spanish Jam*# > Turn On Your Lovelight#

Encore: Uncle John’s Band^

* with Duane Allman and Peter Green
! with Arthur Lee
# with Duane Allman, Gregg Allman and Peter Green
^ acoustic

[Photo via Dead.net]