Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Lindsey and George

Lindsey is posting very cool old pictures these days (though nothing about his new album)

This one looks from the Craddle days, or maybe the Dance days, but 90s definitely. He doesn't mention when or where it was taken. Does anybody know what event was this?

By the way, my favorite George song is Cheer Down.

https://twitter.com/LBuckingham/stat...13283421335553

Old 08-19-2023, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.facebook.com/BeachBoysBe...qSqqbuL8He7AYl

The Beach Boys And Beatles 101 : The Bands The Music The History

George Harrison Wanted Lindsey Buckingham To Join The Traveling Wilburys:

When radio host John Fugelsang (who was the last person to have a television interview with George Harrison during his lifetime,) interviewed Roy Orbison’s son (Roy Orbison Jr) a few years ago, they broke some news that many people had not been aware of. For years the rumors had been that when Orbison suddenly died of a heart attack in 1988 that George Harrison wanted Del Shannon to replace him in the Traveling Wilburys. According to Roy’s kids however, (and Olivia Harrison has confirmed this,) that wasn’t the case. George actually wanted Lindsey Buckingham to replace Roy instead.

As Orbison’s children have stated, both Tom Petty, and George Harrison made the family aware that they planned to recruit Lindsey to become a part of the now legendary supergroup. Unfortunately, from that point onward nobody is really sure what happened except for Tom and George and since they have now both passed away we will never really know . Then again, I’m sure Jeff Lynne would’ve known about it too, but has never addressed it. (Bob Dylan probably didn’t care either way.)

Lindsey would’ve been recruited by George in early 1989, or early 1990 before sessions for the “Vol.3” album began. If Lindsey was asked, my gut feeling is he NEVER would’ve passed up an opportunity to be a part of such a legendary group of musicians. Then again, that was the time he had started to record what would become the “Out Of The Cradle” album, and may have declined for that reason. Since there was never gonna be a scenario where the Wilburys’ were gonna tour it would’ve been interesting to see how Lindsey may have gelled with the band in a studio setting.

Had Lindsey been part of The Traveling Wilburys it would’ve opened a number of opportunities for him, just like it did for Tom Petty and Roy Orbison. Granted Petty was a successful artist with the Heartbreakers long before he was in the Wilburys. But his commercial appeal had definitely began to wane on the album “Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough)” the record he released right before he joined the Wilburys which didn’t even go platinum and was a huge commercial disappointment. In contrast to what his next album was after joining The Traveling Wilburys which became “Full Moon Fever” becoming a multi platinum juggernaut and one of the most successful albums of the late 1980s.

Same with Roy Orbison who was a musical legend but hardly had any commercial potential in the 1980s before the Wilburys. Then once he joined the band it introduced him to a whole new generation of music fans. Even had he not suddenly died of a heart attack his comeback solo album “Mystery Girl” still would have become a huge success. It’s nice to know that in the last days of Roy’s life he got to experience what it was like to be relevant and popular in the current music scene.

The same could’ve happened for Lindsey and may have been a tremendous boost to his solo career becoming a perfect set up to introduce his magnificent 1992 album “Out Of The Cradle” to the wide audience that album deserved.

A couple years ago Lindsey was asked if this story was true on a message board, and if George Harrison ever made an attempt to recruit him into the Wilburys. Lindsey responded by saying he never was recruited by George but was told the story of Harrison wanting him in the band was definitely true by Olivia Harrison herself.

It was Olivia who told Lindsey that George wanted him in the Wilburys, to which Lindsey responded not only to being surprised to hear the news, but also being humbled and honored to have even been considered as a possibility.

How would Lindsey have sounded as a member of The Wilburys?

Would he been content with being a team player?

Guess we will never know, but it’s nice to think what might have been…

#beachboysbeatles101
Old 08-19-2023, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Traveling Wilburys. I own both cds and always thought that Stevie Nicks would actually have been a great addition to that group. Her harmonies are the best.
Old 08-19-2023, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do too, but their group backing vocal sound was predicated on no member standing out. It was a wall of sound backing vocal sound where everyone blended it and no one stood out. Stevie's voice would have stood out rather than blend in.

As for Lindsey, it would have killed him to participate without having production input. And George and Jeff would *not* have let him have any.

Still, he wouldn't have said no to a Beatle.
Old 08-19-2023, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey in a band with Tom and Bob?

Stevie would’ve needed a double on the Klonopin.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-20-2023, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Would love to have seen how this alternate reality turned out.

The Big O would be a hard act to follow, though.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I do too, but their group backing vocal sound was predicated on no member standing out. It was a wall of sound backing vocal sound where everyone blended it and no one stood out. Stevie's voice would have stood out rather than blend in.

As for Lindsey, it would have killed him to participate without having production input. And George and Jeff would *not* have let him have any.

Still, he wouldn't have said no to a Beatle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

y'all beat me to it!
Old 08-20-2023, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Looks closer to 92 than 97 to me.
Would Lindsey have managed in the travelling wilburys? He’d have gotten on well with all of them individually but would ha have managed in the whole band dynamic?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-22-2023, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It might have been fun to see Mick as the Wilburys'
drummer, don't you think? I remember musing on this at the time, and as he and George had previously married the Boyd sisters there was a connection, as well as George appearing on Mick's solo work. Bill Wyman could have played bass to include the Stones in the concept.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey and George sounds like a sitcom

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-22-2023, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was going to say it sounds like a police tv serie, but Lindsey doesn't sound like a male police name.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Looks closer to 92 than 97 to me.
Definitely.

Quote:
Would Lindsey have managed in the travelling wilburys? He’d have gotten on well with all of them individually but would ha have managed in the whole band dynamic?
He has always seemed to me a solitary figure in music, despite his being in a band and occasional outside projects with others. Even his years in the band gave it away: he did his thing largely on his own. When he wanted feedback with the track, he reached out to Christine and Mick. But he’s a solitary creator, and that’s why I have trouble imagining him working the duration with a group of heavy hitters like Harrison and Lynn and Petty. All I can picture him doing is a guitar or vocal part for them and then splitting. Thoughts?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-22-2023, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Thoughts?
I agree with you on Lindsey being primarily a solitary figure.. What I think is interesting is the sentiment from others that George or Jeff wouldn’t want or allow Lindsey to have a hand in overall production. On the contrary, I believe that’s exactly why George might have wanted him on board- I believe within the music world and amongst his peers he was (and still is) first & foremost respected and admired as a brilliant arranger/producer just as much as he is for his guitar skills. With so many brilliant guitarists and vocalists already involved in the Wilburys it’s hard for me to believe that he was wanted solely for those duties- I bet George genuinely dug what he did behind the console. Same for Tom, as evident by him once saying he wanted Lindsey in the Heartbreakers, and “Walls (Circus)” ..
Old 08-22-2023, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Lindsey and George sounds like a sitcom
Ladies and germs, Lindsey, George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170px-George_Lindsey_1970.JPG (9.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-22-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

With a vodka chaser...